Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You can also get the first edition pretty cheap used. I like the first edition better as a game personally, 2e is a very different game from the original.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
https://www.gencon.com/press/updates-gen-con-covid19

finally

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
p h e w that's a relief

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Was a foregone conclusion. Wonder if 2021 will really change anything regarding crowds? We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

Game Brain Podcast episode is up, I'm the featured guest, hope you like it, I'm not sure if I do :shrug:

Your comments on Ryan Laukat were on point though...

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Has anybody played 7 Ages? Can you recommend a similar strategy game that is more readily available, especially in terms of depth and complexity?

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 19, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Has anybody played 7 Ages? Can you recommend a similar strategy game that is more readily available, especially in terms of depth and complexity?

Without having played it and only working off the description it sounds like these might be up your alley:

Civilization/Advanced Civ/Mega Civ/Western Empires
Struggle of Empires
History of the World
...Dune?

Ha, just checked the BGG page on some of these are there too under their recommendations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thirteen Orphans posted:

gently caress yeah I played that, exactly once.

Definitely the tresham civ line. Honestly nothing else really comes near to whatever the hell that game was trying to do.

Comedy option is small world since 7 ages had some kind of multiple nations that rose and fell iirc? Don't actually play small world though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone played "the kings dilemma"? The susd review of it makes it sound right up my street, but was wondering if Quinns's gushing was founded?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

!Klams posted:

Anyone played "the kings dilemma"? The susd review of it makes it sound right up my street, but was wondering if Quinns's gushing was founded?

SVWAG had it as their game of the year for 2019, IIRC. I scored a copy before the rush, but didn't manage to get it to the table before lockdown made that difficult.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

!Klams posted:

It’s very heavily group dependent but if you have a good group of people that takes things like this seriously, you’ll love the game.

If you have a lot of casuals or people who get bored easily with games, you won’t enjoy it as much.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

!Klams posted:

I'm probably 2-3 games away from finishing my campaign. Before I talk about it I want to stress that, like Quinns, I had a near-perfect group to play it with though probably in a very different way (everyone is an insane irony poisoned Very Online lefty crank with many years of playing ttrpgs and board games together). This almost certainly impacted my thoughts on the game.

I think King's Dilemma is something special, but its flaws are pretty annoying at this point. The good:

- The game is really, really funny. Like the discussions are about weighty topics but the scenarios are so farfetched (as someone living in a developed western nation) that it's basically impossible to be emotionally invested in a full campaign earnestly. I think the creators have to know this though so I don't really feel bad about it. Especially since the chronology of the game is pretty weird sometimes due to how events are randomly doled out so it's fun to make jokes about a character being alive and youthful for over a hundred years or things like that.

- The voting system is super cool and very intuitive once people get comfortable with how the Leader token functions. I think someone could make an actual dedicated roleplaying system based off of it and it would be really fun!

- Quinns is right about the amount of writing - I never felt like it was dragging on, and the bite-sized descriptions also work in the game's favor humor-wise since you never have quite enough information to go off of (in a good way). Someone arrested for selling phony goods, do you want to punish them? Now the table is talking about whether you have strong evidence, what said punishment would be and if it would be appropriate to the crime, etc.

- It's just a very solid package. If people don't space out or take breaks the game moves briskly and generally any given session ends on a high note rather than a fart.

The bad:

- Quinns is right about the quantity of the writing, but not really the quality. It isn't awful but I have no idea why he sings its praises so much. Which brings me onto...

- The god drat proper nouns. Holy moly there are so many Places and Peoples and Factions and you just do not get time to process all this poo poo. If the writing's brevity plays to the game's humor in a positive way, this stuff does in a negative way. Again, I'm nearly done with my campaign, and I could not tell you the names of any of the houses my friends are playing, or probably even my own - we're the Snake House, the Boatwheel House, the Lobster house, and so on. I only really remember one character's name because she's the most common reoccurring element for a few plotlines but otherwise it's a blur. I think this frustrates me more than anyone I play with but it feels like someone needs reminded of who a certain people were anytime a card references them.

- The houses all start too similarly mechanically and I feel like the designers are putting too much responsibility on the players to evoke their flavor. It took until the halfway point of our campaign for anyone to start unlocking unique abilities, and you don't get very much time to play with your toys before it's all over. I'd really have liked if the houses started with unique boons and penalities, or at least unlocked them much faster and more predictably.

- Because of the previous point, voting can dry up sometimes. While every session will have at least a few fun arguments and scenarios many more will just be "I put 2 power on [Aye/Nay]", two people Passing for Power, maybe one person sniping leader, and then another person passing for power. I'm oversimplifying a bit but I think it's an issue of the game's ambiguity toward the larger campaign objectives. The manual stresses that putting your name on things (and thus being the Leader) is important but is deliberately vague beyond that and the system does little to reward bold antes otherwise. Plus the complete mystery over everyone else's hidden objectives any given game means it's difficult to know when you should make risky plays and when you should play conservatively.

I think in general I'm quite positive and it is a very unique experience. I have a few other thoughts like that a lot of the houses are very funny conceptually (the house of artists is my favorite) but those are probably the biggest things I wish I had known before investing in a full campaign.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merz Verlag on the ball.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3126915230685395&set=a.447653991944879

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

SVWAG had it as their game of the year for 2019, IIRC.
Close. Mark had it as his GOTY and voted for it but the new Caylus won out for the two of them.

whatever this was is already gone

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Close. Mark had it as his GOTY and voted for it but the new Caylus won out for the two of them.

cause walker hates any game where you have to talk to another person.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

It's there for me when I click the quoted link. But it's an announcement of a digital Spiel on the same dates.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's there for me when I click the quoted link. But it's an announcement of a digital Spiel on the same dates.

There for me as well fwiw

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello does anyone have any opinions/reviews on Cartographers? Cause it looks real neat.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
My Girlfriend got me a copy of Blackout: Hong Kong as a gift and Im curious to see what folks here think. She picked it out since Great Western Trail is one of our favorites and its another by Alexander Pfister. We've played two games so far and I'm enjoying it. The decisions to be made about both which cards to play and which columns to play them in is interesting and I've had a couple times where a good card just goes unplayed because I need to get another color in that column for an objective and putting it in a short stack means it wont be available when I need it. I'm not really sure how to value scouting so far. It seems like a lot of risk if you're just throwing bodies at it and getting GPS tokens takes a lot. My early impression is that its nice to do a little of but its better to focus on securing districts.

I will say the board has some usability problems. Both of us had multiple times we mis-read districts because a seam in the board or outline of the coast made it look like two nodes were connected that were not. We might end up tracing the lines with a marker just to make it easier on us.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Infinitum posted:

Hello does anyone have any opinions/reviews on Cartographers? Cause it looks real neat.

I enjoy it. I played half a dozen solo games of it on tabletopia and then bought it. Played three rounds with my wife last night. Its a fun take on the flip and write style game and has a lot of replayability due to the random scoring set up. The ambush cards make for some interaction with the other players. Nice and relaxing game to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Infinitum posted:

It's decent enough for a roll-and-write but I have trouble having strong opinions about the genre.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Infinitum posted:

I think of the Roland Wright's I've played (Ganz Schon Clever, Welcome To, Tiny Towns, Cartographers) Cartographers is my favorite.

You actually get to interact with your opponents by drawing negative squares on their sheet, and the scoring conditions are dynamic from game to game. It's got a lot of replayability without a lot of overhead.

Cartographers is a laid-back game, it's never going to give you the same feelings as a Splotter, Lacerda, or Wehrle, but for me it scratches both the tetrominoes and R&W itch for me.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Countblanc posted:

Awesome Kings dilemma stuff

Amazing, thanks so much! That's really given me a clear idea of how well it will play and honestly it sounds perfect! My group is kinda bad at role play, but would definitely enjoy it, so as long as there's 'some' kind of cue they'd get into it for sure. The fact the scoring is ambiguous actually works massively in it's favour for us because my group is mostly put off by strong competition, and the ones who are competetive are kinda soon to spoil if they think they're out of the running. It sounds like it would keep both parties interested and excited! There's one guy who I'm pretty sure will keep on top of names and stuff, would it be worth writing stuff down?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

nessin posted:

I'm looking for some games that are either 2 player specific or work best at 2 players that play reasonably fast (under an hour) and aren't too simple? I picked up a few games that I made sure had a 2 player option, like Bargain Quest (which probably falls into the too simple category but I like the theme), Kashgar, Race for the Galaxy, and The Crew, all of which I've enjoyed but are significantly less interesting/enjoyable as a 2 player game. Doesn't have to specifically be a card game either, even though I just noticed every example I listed is one.
Did you play with the 2p advanced rules (play 2 phase cards per round) of Race?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Grundma posted:

My Girlfriend got me a copy of Blackout: Hong Kong as a gift and Im curious to see what folks here think. She picked it out since Great Western Trail is one of our favorites and its another by Alexander Pfister. We've played two games so far and I'm enjoying it. The decisions to be made about both which cards to play and which columns to play them in is interesting and I've had a couple times where a good card just goes unplayed because I need to get another color in that column for an objective and putting it in a short stack means it wont be available when I need it. I'm not really sure how to value scouting so far. It seems like a lot of risk if you're just throwing bodies at it and getting GPS tokens takes a lot. My early impression is that its nice to do a little of but its better to focus on securing districts.

I will say the board has some usability problems. Both of us had multiple times we mis-read districts because a seam in the board or outline of the coast made it look like two nodes were connected that were not. We might end up tracing the lines with a marker just to make it easier on us.

We find Blackout Hong Kong to be a solid game. It's ugly though and the theme is weird so I think that held it back. Apparently the 2nd edition has much better graphics, if you can find that I'd get it instead of a 1st edition.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

!Klams posted:

There's one guy who I'm pretty sure will keep on top of names and stuff, would it be worth writing stuff down?

I'd say it depends how much not immediately remembering that Alphaland was the country you were at war with 2 games ago or Betaberg is the desert settlement the refugees are fleeing from bothers you. Every Dilemma card references these places, but in most cases it doesn't really matter and the context of "the war continues, do we send more supplies or order our soldiers to raid settlements for food?" is enough to make moral choices. There's also a bunch of pages in the back of the instruction manual dedicated to all of these people and places so you can use that, but I find it sort of tedious during play (which I imagine would be true of any note taking too).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hansa Teutonica big box preorder $35

https://www.gamenerdz.com/hansa-teutonica-big-box-preorder

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

That's a good price.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lord Of Texas posted:

I think of the Roland Wright's I've played (Ganz Schon Clever, Welcome To, Tiny Towns, Cartographers) Cartographers is my favorite.

You actually get to interact with your opponents by drawing negative squares on their sheet, and the scoring conditions are dynamic from game to game. It's got a lot of replayability without a lot of overhead.

Cartographers is a laid-back game, it's never going to give you the same feelings as a Splotter, Lacerda, or Wehrle, but for me it scratches both the tetrominoes and R&W itch for me.

Doppelt So Clever > Cartographers > Ganz Schön Clever >> Welcome To. The map-drawing part of Cartographers is charming, though, and you can experiment with your own cartography to make the finished product more map-like. The monster ambushes--the usually-negative squares you get to draw on others' maps--are the right amount of unpredictable and challenging for a game of its weight.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

New BGG Store https://geekgameshop.com/ Only carries games at the moment. Don't know why or the history or anything although someone who would know did hint something like this was coming when I was at BGG Con. Probably the first of more changes this year.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm not much of a roll and write person, but I liked Qwinto over Welcome To just because it stripped all the fluff out.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

That's the same reason Qwixx is still my favorite.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

nessin posted:

I'm looking for some games that are either 2 player specific or work best at 2 players that play reasonably fast (under an hour) and aren't too simple? I picked up a few games that I made sure had a 2 player option, like Bargain Quest (which probably falls into the too simple category but I like the theme), Kashgar, Race for the Galaxy, and The Crew, all of which I've enjoyed but are significantly less interesting/enjoyable as a 2 player game. Doesn't have to specifically be a card game either, even though I just noticed every example I listed is one.

Late answer, but Blokus is excellent at 2 players, with each player controlling 2 colors.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've had this on preorder at MM for a week now 8)

$34.99 there too. Ships in August supposedly, which really, it's not like I'm meeting for face to face games before then.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
or after, most likely

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cheers for opinions on Cartographers everybody, I will add it to my buy list.

What is Hansa Teutonica, and what sort of group would it appeal to?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Infinitum posted:

What is Hansa Teutonica, and what sort of group would it appeal to?

People who like interactive euros.

The aim is to build links between cities and the main mechanic is that you can shove someone else out of the way at an additional cost to you and with an additional benefit to them. The game revolves around annoying people just enough so they have to deal with you but not so much enough that they gently caress off entirely.

It's fantastic.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People who like interactive euros.

The aim is to build links between cities and the main mechanic is that you can shove someone else out of the way at an additional cost to you and with an additional benefit to them. The game revolves around annoying people just enough so they have to deal with you but not so much enough that they gently caress off entirely.

It's fantastic.

Played it once on TTS with goons, and at the end I was like "wow this is not for me"

But then I kept thinking about it? And thinking? And read the rulebook, noticed a thing or two, and want to play it some more?!

$35 feels like a pretty good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hansa is top tier for simplicity to depth ratio. It's highly interactive but doesn't feel mean because the bumping usually helps the others by giving them the bonus for being bumped.