Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jack Trades posted:

Until You Fall is easily the best VR melee combat game and its not even out of early access yet.

How's it compare to Thrill of the Fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

I think people will put Thrill of the Fight in the 'sports' category, not in the 'action' category where Until you Fall is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gort posted:

I can't campare them objectively because I think boxing is boring as gently caress.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

That explains so much. I didn't know there was a head crab animation because I decided to be goofy and wear hats from the start.

:staredog: me neither, I picked up the first hard hat I saw and just always wore one

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Evidently they help with barnacles too. HL: Alyx is really just a treatise on the importance of OSHA compliance.

veni veni veni posted:

Cool. Like, I noticed The Walking Dead S&S is planned for release on Quest, but it seems like something like that would look way better on a PC, so buy something like that there i'd imagine. Right?

At this point I think so. Part of the reason Alyx kicks so much rear end is that it looks incredible. I think it really helps suck me into the world.

Is Boneworks worth buying? I want another full fat single player game but not always in the mood to play scary-rear end Half Life, as great as it is.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 20, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I need a vr billiards game where it can height-detect my dining room table so I can lean on it like a real pool table. This quarantine's got me fiending for a game like crazy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndrewP posted:

They help with barnacles too. Alyx is really just a treatise on the importance of OSHA compliance.

Facemasks help around spores.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Origami Dali posted:

I need a vr billiards game where it can height-detect my dining room table so I can lean on it like a real pool table. This quarantine's got me fiending for a game like crazy.

The Quest can tell the height of the floor, so it should be doable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AndrewP posted:

Evidently they help with barnacles too. HL: Alyx is really just a treatise on the importance of OSHA compliance.

At this point I think so. Part of the reason Alyx kicks so much rear end is that it looks incredible. I think it really helps suck me into the world.

Is Boneworks worth buying? I want another full fat single player game but not always in the mood to play scary-rear end Half Life, as great as it is.

In my opinion, Boneworks is worth buying. It does not have the story or graphical fidelity of Alyx, BUT it does have working melee weapons, a stand-in for headcrabs, and is clearly inspired by Half-Life and Portal. The gunplay is also really, really good.

Boneworks is a very unsettling game. Its rarely outright scary, but it definitely gives the "something is wrong here" vibe like Portal did.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:staredog: me neither, I picked up the first hard hat I saw and just always wore one

Trust valve to make wearing hats a gameplay feature :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

There are a few 'obvious' real life activities that should be done in VR. Table Tennis (we have it already), billiards, painting, drumming.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

There are a few 'obvious' real life activities that should be done in VR. Table Tennis (we have it already), billiards, painting, drumming.

For painting I think Tilt Brush is as close as you're going to get; the lack of a physical surface to paint against really limits the ability to do 2D painting in VR.

Drumming in Soundstage VR felt pretty good, but that's hard to get running since the dev removed it from Steam.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

For painting I think Tilt Brush is as close as you're going to get; the lack of a physical surface to paint against really limits the ability to do 2D painting in VR.

Drumming in Soundstage VR felt pretty good, but that's hard to get running since the dev removed it from Steam.

I actually liked a lot the painting activity in Vacation Simulator, it worked surprisingly well.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

veni veni veni posted:

Say you have a Quest, and a game you want is released for PCVR as well as Quest. Is it preferable to buy the PC version and run it there via the link, or the quest version for portability? I am assuming with some more intense games it's going to be better running off the PC?

One thing to keep in mind if the game is on both platforms is to check if it features cross-buy https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/

Basically take say, 'The Climb', if you buy it on the quest store, or the oculus store on PC, you can install the PC version on your computer and the quest version instead of just choosing either or. They also started supporting cross saves, I don't know how many games support that yet, but if they do you could play the PC version, and then pick up where you were on the quest version if you aren't home or whatever.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Apple's AR glasses leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjSy6T4iE4

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Lol if they actually call them Apple Glass. Given the success of Google Glass.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wow Apple finally invented VR!

Also no loving way am I watching that eye cancer YouTuber.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More like apple rear end

also I immediately deleted that video from my watch history because I don't want the algorithm thinking I want to see any more of that bullshit

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

This is everything I hate in monetized youtubers

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's wild that guy makes money from talking and also talks like his voice comes out of his nose.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Thank you for warning me about the dumbass YouTuber Shtick before I clicked that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for all of the info, guys. Think I'm probably leaning towards getting a decent PC and starting with a Quest (once I can actually scrape one up for MSRP) since it seems capable of so much more than I was aware of. Then maybe going for something more high end down the road when there are more options or better deals.

Just curious though. Realistically, how much difference is there between playing Something like HL:A on an index vs a Quest? Is is like, huge or are you just mostly looking at some slightly better resolution and control options? I guess the only thing that might still sway me towards an index would be that having a PSVR I just want a clearer picture so bad. I can't stand the muddiness, and I'm worried that it feeling to too similar to PSVR would be the only downside of going with a Quest.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I rma'ed my index controllers Saturday, and they came in today. I was expecting another week. Too bad I had to go to work after they arrived. I Also got some new mastering headphones in the mail as well. Need to do a side by side with the index speakers.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

That guy is faaar from the worst Youtuber I've seen and if the stuff he said about Apple trying to track down his source is true then godspeed nasally nerd, spoil all their stupid poo poo. Sounds like another accessory to the iPhone like the watch that only make sense to people heavily invested in their ecosystem. The first wave of commercial AR is set to be pretty lame.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chadzok posted:

The first wave of commercial AR is set to be pretty lame.

Yeah the hololens kinda sucks

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When do holoDECKs come out

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks for all of the info, guys. Think I'm probably leaning towards getting a decent PC and starting with a Quest (once I can actually scrape one up for MSRP) since it seems capable of so much more than I was aware of. Then maybe going for something more high end down the road when there are more options or better deals.

Just curious though. Realistically, how much difference is there between playing Something like HL:A on an index vs a Quest? Is is like, huge or are you just mostly looking at some slightly better resolution and control options? I guess the only thing that might still sway me towards an index would be that having a PSVR I just want a clearer picture so bad. I can't stand the muddiness, and I'm worried that it feeling to too similar to PSVR would be the only downside of going with a Quest.

I haven't done a comparison of the two, never tried an Index, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I'll tell you this - I use a Quest with Link and I find myself wishing my PC had more horsepower, rather than wanting an Index. The Quest/Rift S display is actually pretty good, and you can potentially supersample it further if you get a good enough graphics card. With that said, I do envy the FOV of the Index.

The Link adds some compression but evidently Carmack wants to try to upgrade it to use the full USB 3.1 bandwidth, so even that may get better.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Serious Sam VR The Last Hope is on sale for $6. Worth it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Serious Sam VR The Last Hope is on sale for $6. Worth it?

Not really, IMO. It's a very mediocre shooting gallery.
All of the ports of original 3 Serious Sam games are totally worth it though.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

Not really, IMO. It's a very mediocre shooting gallery.
All of the ports of original 3 Serious Sam games are totally worth it though.

Depends on your VR legs. The shooting gallery was good roomscale VR and the ports were chaotic and vomitous for me. I mean, good ports, just the gameplay didn't translate to VR very well.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I had to stop one of the original Serious Sam games early because gently caress Spiders but maybe Alyx will drive the squeamishness out of me. I enjoyed what little I played!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was able to handle the spiders in flat Skyrim. That was a negatory for Skyrim VR

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chadzok posted:

Depends on your VR legs. The shooting gallery was good roomscale VR and the ports were chaotic and vomitous for me. I mean, good ports, just the gameplay didn't translate to VR very well.

Oh, that's fair, I forgot that was a thing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qogr2xgfOjw

vr trains releasing a major update tomorrow (?), fixing a shitton of issues. most importantly for VR, performance is greatly improved

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

AndrewP posted:

I haven't done a comparison of the two, never tried an Index, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I'll tell you this - I use a Quest with Link and I find myself wishing my PC had more horsepower, rather than wanting an Index. The Quest/Rift S display is actually pretty good, and you can potentially supersample it further if you get a good enough graphics card. With that said, I do envy the FOV of the Index.

I got an Index and the increased FOV is almost entirely vertical, which was kinda disappointing. I really would have preferred a wider FOV instead of a taller FOV.

I was also disappointed by the lenses, they do not handle high contrast scenes well. I get big blotchy bright blurs around the perimeter of my view, it's more distracting than any god rays I've gotten on other headsets.

Getting the Index really made me appreciate what an amazing value the S is at $400. It stacks up really well against a $1000 headset, I find the visual clarity very similar and really the only big dings against the S are the poor audio and no IPD adjustment. But you can fix the audio for about $30, and I have a very average IPD.

I probably would have returned the Index and just stuck with the S if I was spending my own money, but my company bought me the Index for development.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tip posted:

But you can fix the audio for about $30

Are you just saying "buy earbuds" or is there a $30 secret you can fill me in on? My bluetooth headphones don't seem to work alongside the Rift S - they keep cutting out. I figured it was too much bluetooth.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Chadzok posted:

Are you just saying "buy earbuds" or is there a $30 secret you can fill me in on? My bluetooth headphones don't seem to work alongside the Rift S - they keep cutting out. I figured it was too much bluetooth.

Just get a set of Koss Portapro or KSC75 headphones and a 3d printed mount. I'm using the KSC75s and they sound great, basically the same driver as the original Rift had.

Also, with my mount I can place them just over my ear but not touching which is very nice.

A friend of mine printed my mount for me, but you can find them a lot of places. Here's one I found on Etsy for $10:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/763073...ASABEgLcqfD_BwE

And the headphones are $14 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I do have my OG vive with DAS gathering dust, I'll see if there's an easy mod to force that on.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I've been using Apple Earbuds for the last couple weeks like a youtuber.

couldn't be happier.

ok thats kinda a lie, id prefer the pro wireless ones but lol 300 bucks right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

I've been using Apple Earbuds for the last couple weeks like a youtuber.

couldn't be happier.

ok thats kinda a lie, id prefer the pro wireless ones but lol 300 bucks right now.

Yeah, I don't really see the need for a more complex mounted over-the-ear solution when good quality earbuds exist for reasonable prices (and they don't make your already-hot headset even hotter to wear)