Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ToxicFrog posted:

Quake 2 pistol, which is just as pathetic as the Doom one but isn't hitscan.

it has infinite ammo, which puts it above doom's pistol from that alone due to there never being a situation like where you're scrounging for ammo and hoping you don't have to melee a baron of hell or hell knight to death which some doom wad makers seem to think is thrilling gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I’m a big fan of serious Sam 2 also. Really great LAN party game, super colorful, grenades usable without any animation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah part of the pistol ranking for me is "if this is my only gun due to a sick level designer, how bad is this gonna be". For Quake 2 youve infinite ammo, for Wolfenstein the pistol actually deals pretty good damage against most mookery in the game. Quake 1 would be closer to me in terms of badness.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

ToxicFrog posted:

Dusk ep 3 update: The Iron Cathedral was ok, Fire and Ice and City of Shadows were both pretty good, but I'm five seconds into Crypt of the Flesh and

the fall has broken your flashlight

I can already tell I'm going to hate it.

Maybe your brightness / gamma needs adjusting? The couple of levels where you don't have a flashlight should still be navigable via the ambient lighting. You're not expected to feel your way out in the pitch black.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Maybe your brightness / gamma needs adjusting? The couple of levels where you don't have a flashlight should still be navigable via the ambient lighting. You're not expected to feel your way out in the pitch black.

I've already turned it up a bunch from the default, and if I turn it up further stuff starts to look overbright and washed-out. :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know what “Quake II 1033” was?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Pistol Talk: Let's not forget one of the best pistols ever - the one from Rage. Which had enough ammo types to be an entire mediocre FPS weapon lineup by itself.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

So I bought Sound Canvas VA for that sweet SC-55 (and 88/88 Pro/8820) sound and just in case anyone else is interested, here's the process to get it working with games:

• Install Roland Cloud Manager
  • Subscribe or buy a lifetime key for Sound Canvas VA and install it
  • Install loopMIDI and add a new port
  • Download SAVIHost
  • Find "SOUND Canvas VA.dll" (RCM installed to C:\Program Files\Vstplugins for me) and drop savihost.exe into the same directory
  • Rename savihost.exe to "SOUND Canvas VA.exe" and run it
  • Under the Devices menu go into MIDI settings and set input port 1 to the port you created with loopMIDI
  • Hit the option button and under system, set your desired mode and map
  • Select the new port in your game of choice and enjoy

And to get it working with foobar2000:

• Install the foo_midi component
  • In preferences, go to Advanced -> Playback -> MIDI Player
  • Set the "Secret Sauce path" to the directory where SOUND Canvas VA.dll is
  • Now under Playback -> MIDI Player (the one not under Advanced) you should be able to choose Secret Sauce for output, and when you select that you should see a Secret Sauce options group on the right which lets you set which mode and map to use

Eyud fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 20, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ohh boyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW65wZOtPyA

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

We do Civvie, we do :allears:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know what “Quake II 1033” was?

I'm more curious how that....thing is even supposed to work for an arena shooter :confused:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Eyud posted:

So I bought Sound Canvas VA for that sweet SC-55 (and 88/88 Pro/8820) sound and just in case anyone else is interested, here's the process to get it working with games:

• Install Roland Cloud Manager
  • Subscribe or buy a lifetime key for Sound Canvas VA and install it
  • Install loopMIDI and add a new port
  • Download SAVIHost
  • Find "SOUND Canvas VA.dll" (RCM installed to C:\Program Files\Vstplugins for me) and drop savihost.exe into the same directory
  • Rename savihost.exe to "SOUND Canvas VA.exe" and run it
  • Under the Devices menu go into MIDI settings and set input port 1 to the port you created with loopMIDI
  • Hit the option button and under system, set your desired mode and map
  • Select the new port in your game of choice and enjoy

And to get it working with foobar2000:

• Install the foo_midi component
  • In preferences, go to Advanced -> Playback -> MIDI Player
  • Set the "Secret Sauce path" to the directory where SOUND Canvas VA.dll is
  • Now under Playback -> MIDI Player (the one not under Advanced) you should be able to choose Secret Sauce for output, and when you select that you should see a Secret Sauce options group on the right which lets you set which mode and map to use

Doesn’t the VST have some quirks compared to the hardware? Notes that get stuck or something like that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, the character art in Daikatana is so sub par

And it isn't because it has to be low poly like every other game of that time. Compare with the released-two-years-before Half Life. The problem is the art style used, it was a poor fit for that technology.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

its bad because daikatana is a bad game

hth

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, the character art in Daikatana is so sub par

And it isn't because it has to be low poly like every other game of that time. Compare with the released-two-years-before Half Life. The problem is the art style used, it was a poor fit for that technology.
I wanna say a lot of the character skins are either by or in the style of Kenneth Scott, who did a lot of the skins in Quake 3. I know he posted some of his Daikatana skinwork online a while back (:nws: for monster boobs), and the rest of the characters look quite similar. I guess his style benefitted greatly from the tech and modellers on Quake 3...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's very much a 'the polygons haven't caught up to the textures' issue, it seems like

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

david_a posted:

Doesn’t the VST have some quirks compared to the hardware? Notes that get stuck or something like that.

I haven't noticed anything but I'm no expert with this stuff so I dunno. SCVA has been through a few versions so it could have been a bug with an earlier release too. I saw a comparison between real SC-88 hardware and the VST and they sound identical to my ears.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's very much a 'the polygons haven't caught up to the textures' issue, it seems like

Yeah the textures are insanely detailed for their resolution. It's like if Rob Liefeld textured Super Mario 64.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
It took me THIS long to realize the same actor who voiced Lo Wang voiced Tracer Tong??? :psyduck:

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iok7lSET91Q Serious Sam 4, uh, cinematic trailer. Great. :geno:

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 20, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More SS4 footage from Steam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kmz8R1WYk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMmIsWpnCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTK1PKFsSV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vox67-Nbm8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaqlJAovzXE

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Hrmm okay it does look pretty cool.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, fight me but a lot of the Quake 3 techno-flesh monster skins don't look that great in game either. That art style is very noisy and weird, particularly when you have stuff moving real fast.

You could also probably make some argument that Ion Storm and it's employees just in general weren't very comfortable with what 3d game art entailed, considering that the best looking of their games was also extremely dated looking when it came out.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 20, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: This comment works better in the Steam thread.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 20, 2020

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Kleer Skeletons are back...gently caress those things.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
"We were originally hoping for 10,000 enemies and now we hit an order of magnitude more"

So an order of magnitude more than nuts.wad? 100,000 enemies in a single level? I don't believe you. Also, that sounds tedious.

Serious Sam is so close to being a really great Doom clone but the open, sprawling map design and the high number of enemies who do nothing but beeline directly toward you really limit the encounter possibilities. More monster variety and interesting level design could make it so much better at the risk of playing too much like Doom2, but also more games should play like Doom2.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Serious Sam 4: Planet Musou.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

treat posted:

So an order of magnitude more than nuts.wad? 100,000 enemies in a single level? I don't believe you. Also, that sounds tedious.

It sounds tedious with a traditional FPS arsenal, but they could move into the EDF/musou space and give you some apocalyptically powerful gun that kills hundreds of targets with each shot. The cannon already overpenetrates, give him the nuke from Shadow Warrior or something.

I did notice the disconnect between the engine test clip with a vast number of enemies onscreen and the actual gameplay bits that had a few dozen at most, comparable to the earlier games. Maybe they're holding something up their sleeve for the big late-game finale setpieces.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DatonKallandor posted:

Pistol Talk: Let's not forget one of the best pistols ever - the one from Rage. Which had enough ammo types to be an entire mediocre FPS weapon lineup by itself.

The pistol with Fat Mammas was one of my favourite weapons, and incredibly effective all the way through.

Anyway, I need to get back to Daikatana. I kinda like the art style, but that's kinda because it looks incredibly '90s comics which... I kinda love how weird and often bad they look.

Edit: That kleer bridge looks loving awful. I should try Serious Sam 2, it's the only one I haven't and I've heard its quite different to all the others which... I wish I liked.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 20, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's OK to admit in the midst of our retro gaming revival of the last ten years that Serious Sam was never good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's OK to admit in the midst of our retro gaming revival of the last ten years that Serious Sam was never good.

I came to this conclusion when I revisited TFE and TSE recently. I'm not even going to talk about 3, which is worse than both of those.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Serious Sam 4 looks like complete poo poo, I'm kinda not sorry to even say it cause I too question if the series was ever good or if it was only because it's all we really had for "new old school shooters" at the time.

Same thing with Painkiller too, it's just... boring to play now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Karasu Tengu posted:

I mean, fight me but a lot of the Quake 3 techno-flesh monster skins don't look that great in game either. That art style is very noisy and weird, particularly when you have stuff moving real fast.

You could also probably make some argument that Ion Storm and it's employees just in general weren't very comfortable with what 3d game art entailed, considering that the best looking of their games was also extremely dated looking when it came out.

Excuse me, Anachronox was no Final Fantasy X but it had art direction for days

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Serious Sam 4 looks like complete poo poo, I'm kinda not sorry to even say it cause I too question if the series was ever good or if it was only because it's all we really had for "new old school shooters" at the time.

I think in its time it was welcome because AAA gaming had completely abandoned the 90's thing of "lots of monsters, open movement, and weird dungeons" and even during the first few Serious Sams was starting to abandon cooperative gaming as a thing, which it wouldn't return to for many years. It blows me away that even Halo games, many of which have couch coop, have no way to play coop online without custom lobbies, but you can do multiple player online PVP on the same Xbox account.

However, now Serious Sam:

- Looks very ugly and bare bones compared to other similar games you could now be playing, and just hasn't aged well visually.

- Once you get over the spectacle of lots of enemies and the occasional Really Giant Enemy, is brutally repetitive, not engaging, and before long, tedious. People figured out that Doom 2 is still way better than Serious Sam.

After Amid Evil, Dusk, Doom '16, and so on, Serious Sam looks especially dated and unremarkable, whether it be the new one coming or the old. This new Serious Sam doesn't look any different from the older ones, showing off the same predictable gameplay, underwhelming gunplay, unattractive and dated cartoon aesthetic, and so on.

I will say that I like that they "got" the idea that menus should be sparing and options should be many, and for a Croatian game developer, Serious Sam doesn't really have the semi-charming "Eurojank" that we've come to expect from these types of studios.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would definitely put the original Serious Sam over Doom 2 because I'll take no level design over bad level design but playing Plutonia ruined so many video games for me as it is what I expect a "monster filled bullet hell with a solid gimmick every level" shooter to be.

I never played any of the games other than the original two so I think my experience is more positive than most people here but I'll say I have zero interest to replay either game or any of the other games which everyone seems to agree are universally worse.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I was thinking about reload animations as one does and remembered one from the 2006 PS2 game Black. When you reload da oozee neinmillimeetah the player character thumbs the eject button and the magazine SPROINGS out of the weapon with enough force to clock a dude upside the head.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
The Analog Antiquarian latest post about the shareware days covers the beginnings of iD.:
https://www.filfre.net/2020/05/the-shareware-scene-part-3-the-id-boys/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I was thinking about reload animations as one does and remembered one from the 2006 PS2 game Black. When you reload da oozee neinmillimeetah the player character thumbs the eject button and the magazine SPROINGS out of the weapon with enough force to clock a dude upside the head.

Black somehow got selected as one of handful of original Xbox games to get full Xbox One (and I'm assuming Series X) compatibility, so if you have a burning urge to play Black on a 4K TV with modern controllers, you sure can.

Man console shooters of that era have not held up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Deakul posted:

Same thing with Painkiller too, it's just... boring to play now.

I love Serious Sam but have come to dislike Painkiller, particularly on a recent replay of it. I think Painkiller has great weapons but everything else is not what I remember it being when I first played it on CD. I'm still cautiously interested in that "Witchfire" game though, which is being developed by a lot of the brains behind (at least the original) Painkiller.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I bought Serious Sam 2 on steam today cuz its only 2 dollars and the last time I played it was when it first came out. I only played the first few levels on hard but it's pretty tame. For a lot of the fights i could just stand in one spot and kill everything without issue. Doom Eternal is more frantic than this.

I remember it getting more chaotic further in but it doesn't start out well.

I enjoyed the Serious Sam games as they came out but they came out in a time where FPS developers were moving away from the arcadey shooterand into more story driven halo style games but now the arcadey shooter is coming back and is there any more room for Sam? The gameplay footage looked like serious sam but is that it? Just more strafing around or running backwards shooting things coming at you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Black somehow got selected as one of handful of original Xbox games to get full Xbox One (and I'm assuming Series X) compatibility, so if you have a burning urge to play Black on a 4K TV with modern controllers, you sure can.

Man console shooters of that era have not held up.

PC shooters from that era have not held up! With few exceptions the thread gimmick died between 2006-2016.

I did revisit Crysis which made me appreciate that the game actually had a strong art direction and I think the aliens are fun to fight once you accept the change of pace, but the last level is pretty garbo.