Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I loved RE1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica when they were new, but the door animation loading screens alone made never want to revisit them only a few years after the fact. One of these days I might check out the RE2 remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

food court bailiff posted:

w101 is weird and fun so far and at first I thought I kinda hated it and then it weirdly clicked somewhere shortly after the prologue and I think I kinda love it

needs some drat way to manually zoom in and out though, holy poo poo.

Hold L1/LT to zoom out, R1/RT for zoom in

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

d3lness posted:

The unpopular part is that I think X is way better than the first game. I'm not just saying that because it involves robots that you can pilot and transform, but that's a part of it. I really hope X gets a release on the Switch.

I would agree with you if mech combat wasn't so god drat one dimensional compared to ground combat. I loved everything else about that game and it definitely deserves a re-release with multi-player that is actually multi-player.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

internet celebrity posted:

I would agree with you if mech combat wasn't so god drat one dimensional compared to ground combat. I loved everything else about that game and it definitely deserves a re-release with multi-player that is actually multi-player.

As a giant mechaphile, I was to busy drooling to mind that the robots weren't the most interesting. I would kill for a solid multiplayer implementation. I really liked the story of that game. I sorta had a PSO but what if... Feel to it.

P.s. Harriers for life.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hold L1/LT to zoom out, R1/RT for zoom in

apparently i'm a moron, will have to try this later

UVGO: someone should do a modern slightly rebalanced remake of TMNT 1 for the NES. yeah, the hard one with the top-down sections and the infamous dam bombs in level 2. that game was kinda ahead of its time but it was just slightly too rough anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Chapter 16 of FF7R is one of the worst segments in a game I've ever played. Totally erratic with all the worst elements of the game packed into one super long chapter. It's not all bad, it has some great stuff, but the bad is non-stop. It's basically a clinic on how to annoy your players.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

food court bailiff posted:

UVGO: someone should do a modern slightly rebalanced remake of TMNT 1 for the NES. yeah, the hard one with the top-down sections and the infamous dam bombs in level 2. that game was kinda ahead of its time but it was just slightly too rough anyway.

The swimming sections that everyone complains about weren’t hard at all.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

fixed mini map > rotating mini map

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

fixed mini map > rotating mini map

rotating minimaps are the worst

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There is like, four drat use cases for rotating minimaps, and four hundred games that published with it for no goddamn reason.

The best use case for it was probably the 1999 Battlezone game, but it was less minimap there and more radar.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but I think Disco Elysium is the best isometric RPG ever made, and I've been super into that genre since Baldur's Gate 1. The writing is really good (just "really good." No videogame has ever had "incredible" writing.) and the different paths you can take your character really change things up a lot. The fact that there isn't any combat was an appropriate decision. Like, Planescape: Torment is generally considered to be an isometric RPG with good writing, but every time I had to go into a dungeon to kill things it was a slog.

Other than that, I think Jeff Vogel's isometric RPGs are right below it. The Geneforge games are great with actually fun combat, and I can say the same for Nethergate. I'm really into ancient Rome so Nethergate hits a sweet spot for me. I haven't played much of the Avernum series yet.

Obsidian is generally over rated, even in their glory days. They're good, but there are better iso RPGs out there.

Here's my isometric RPG ratings

1. Disco Elysium
2. Geneforge series
3. Baldurs Gate 2
4. Planescape: Torment
5. Fallout 2

I don't like the Divinity series, and I don't know why.

I dunno, just looking to talk isometric RPGs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I can't play anything from SpiderwebSoftware that uses his Geneforge Engine. It's just so fugly, and the mandatory mouse usage makes it exhausting to play. It was only slightly jarring seeing Exile-scale stuff pop up in the Nethergate engine, but seeing Nethergate/Avernum assets pop up in Geneforge (in addition to Exile assets!!) made it twice as drat ugly, the perspective is totally off.

Seriously, all he had to do was make the Nethergate Engine handle a bigger FoV, but instead...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked Disco Elysium a lot but also thought it was super overrated. The level of hype people had for it, you’d think it was delivered to your hard drive by a chorus of angels. Not to mention a bunch of goons deciding that this good game not having a combat system=no RPG needs a combat system was pretty :rolleyes:. It’s a great game, but holy hell that hype train was insane.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked Disco Elysium a lot but also thought it was super overrated. The level of hype people had for it, you’d think it was delivered to your hard drive by a chorus of angels. Not to mention a bunch of goons deciding that this good game not having a combat system=no RPG needs a combat system was pretty :rolleyes:. It’s a great game, but holy hell that hype train was insane.

That's fair to say, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it since the first week it came out and the hype died really quick. I've played it as a sadbrains schizo drunk commie (me irl) and as an aggressive jacked up methhead fascist supercop prick and it was a totally different game both times. And both times you end up as a complex and well developed character with interesting relationships between yourself and the people you run into. It's a game worth playing more than once. When you know the general path of things it doesn't take long on a second playthrough but it's just as interesting. Worth noting again that I think the writing is "very good" and no videogame has ever had amazing, incredible writing.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fallout 2 might have the worst combat of any of the isometric rpgs. It takes forever for anything to happen, and for the first third of the game its like five dumb bandits shooting and missing and it takes like 4 minutes for them all to finish.

All turn based isometric rpgs should try to have the AI turns go by as quickly as possible while still being legible. Divinity Original Sin 2 is even still pretty slow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

Fallout 2 might have the worst combat of any of the isometric rpgs. It takes forever for anything to happen, and for the first third of the game its like five dumb bandits shooting and missing and it takes like 4 minutes for them all to finish.

All turn based isometric rpgs should try to have the AI turns go by as quickly as possible while still being legible. Divinity Original Sin 2 is even still pretty slow.

I like original Fallout’s combat on a conceptual level but holy poo poo it’s unplayably slow now. It gets really bad if you get in a fight in a town and every NPC has to shuffle around at the speed of slow individually. Even just having all neutral NPCs take a turn at once would go a long way in those games. I beat them both ages ago but can’t replay them now.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm a big fan of Disco Elysium, but it doesn't have to be more than a very good game to also be one of the best isometric RPG games ever made - that genre has soooo many lovely games and a couple of decent ones.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Fallout 2 is on my list mostly because you can shoot people in the balls

and you can gently caress that mob boss' wife and then shoot the boss in the balls

Shooting everyone in the balls makes it a lot of fun

Pokedad
Jan 27, 2005
I am a creepy cunt.
Except for a few nice menu upgrades, Fallout 2 was vastly inferior to number 1. The writing took a serious nosedive in quality to the point where the "humour" was Monty Python references.

Oh and invisible kids. So dumb.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Serephina posted:

There is like, four drat use cases for rotating minimaps, and four hundred games that published with it for no goddamn reason.

The best use case for it was probably the 1999 Battlezone game, but it was less minimap there and more radar.

My brain can't follow static minimaps. I've considered quitting some games because they don't have the option to rotate

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pokedad posted:

Except for a few nice menu upgrades, Fallout 2 was vastly inferior to number 1. The writing took a serious nosedive in quality to the point where the "humour" was Monty Python references.

Oh and invisible kids. So dumb.

The invis kids things was also in Fallout1. Which is the dumbest thing ever, I played with the pickpocketing kids and cackled when I let them pickpocket some live dynamite. It wasn't exactly graphic, or sadistic indepth, or anything. It's such a strange corporate hill to die on 20 years later, when there's untold amounts of pearl-clutching childkilling in other games.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rutibex posted:

rotating minimaps are the worst

rotating your map should be illegal in real life

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If my GPS didn't rotate I'd probably end up dead in a ditch if video games are any indication.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

If my GPS didn't rotate I'd probably end up dead in a ditch if video games are any indication.

What is Latin for I went?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

that's pretty sad, I hope you eventually get that brain tumor removed without incident

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

What is Latin for I went?

meio

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still remember that magical day I realised a smartphone with Google Maps was basically a video game HUD for real life.

It didn't make my navigational skills decay, because they were already complete garbage.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Google says ivi.

Ivi Ivi Ivi. Hmm..

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

that's pretty sad, I hope you eventually get that brain tumor removed without incident

I used an atlas at a driving job for many years before internet poo poo. You can still spin it around when you need to. The idea of preferring static maps is absolutely bonkers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still remember that magical day I realised a smartphone with Google Maps was basically a video game HUD for real life.

It didn't make my navigational skills decay, because they were already complete garbage.

i never use google maps navigation because the one time i did try to do that it would rotate the map and i was insulted by this

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only thing that will make me jump to an options screen quicker than a hosed up camera axis alignment is a rotating mini map

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Fallout 2 is on my list mostly because you can shoot people in the balls

and you can gently caress that mob boss' wife and then shoot the boss in the balls

Shooting everyone in the balls makes it a lot of fun

Back in the day, I showed Fallout 2 to my best friend and he was really not feelin it, but then in the den one of the little pianos stole from me and I'm like wait the gently caress up

then I shot that kid in the nuts and it caused a panic and I killed everyone in the town and my buddy was like wait you can do WHAT?

The freedom to handle problems as you please really stuck and he fell in love with that game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only thing that will make me jump to an options screen quicker than a hosed up camera axis alignment is a rotating mini map

There were some games in the PS2/Xbox 1 era that inverted the x-axis by default and I will sunder those devs worlds

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

The White Dragon posted:

yea sorry any game where you have to drive the loving backlash is a badgame by default

like who the gently caress designed silver sands or whatever that stage was called "let's make a level where you have to use this piece of poo poo car to destroy a huge number of buildings in a straight line, but the catch is that the middle is indestructible and also impassable so you have to be pixel perfect and then drive all the way around back to the other side and start over again i hope you have enough time!!!!

sorry you're bad at video games

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The Fallout demo was so incredibly good, it's almost unfair. There's that Warren Spector quote: “My ultimate dream is for someone to be foolish enough to give me the money to make what I call the One Block Role-Playing Game, where we simulate one building, one city block perfectly.” That demo was (obviously way off the mark but) so much closer to that concept than any of the full game could ever hope to be. BECAUSE it was all I had, I took the time to work out and play with all the systems, all the approaches, and discovering a new one was exciting every time. BECAUSE it was the whole population, seeing them all chunter around one by one felt informative, even characterful, it wasn't 'keeping me from' the rest of the game, it WAS the game, and what's more it meant I could hold it all, partial and entire, in my head at once, you never feel like you're missing out on other stuff going on elsewhere, you instead feel like you're eking out more and more cool poo poo on each iteration.

I kind of feel like the design philosophy of making games better is often 'start the player at 0% of game explored, and improve the game by pushing up what constitutes 100%'. There are other games, like The Stanley Parable, where it feels more like, 'Start the player at 100% still left to discover, and make each % worthwhile'.

I'm not really articulating it well there, but, there are some games I'm playing where I feel like I've seen 'nearly everything' but want to see it all, and then other games, like Dragon Age 2, where I feel like I've seen NOTHING of the whole, and to contemplate seeing even 50% is so exhausting an idea as to be repellent. I guess after typing all that out it's really just the boring quantity over quality discussion, but I certainly think there's something to be said for massively limiting the scope of a gaming world physically, that it's not just quality but density of quality, physically, too? My controversial opinion then is that small game worlds are more exciting than sprawling ones. Lets see if Cyberpunk does something to address that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Disco elysium is fine but also shows that the game mechanics for human interaction still sit at the scene in Terminator where Arnold is deciding how to respond to the landlord yelling at him with a variety of pre-canned responses.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The most free I ever felt was typing swearwords in Police Quest

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The fallout demo is like the goddamn gold standard of demos, and most modern games have nothing like it. Back in the 90's demos had to be small and fit on a disc, and sell the entire loving game. Nowadays it's just the first two levels, aka the most simple and boring part of your product. Assuming there is one in the first place, that is.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Serephina posted:

The fallout demo is like the goddamn gold standard of demos, and most modern games have nothing like it. Back in the 90's demos had to be small and fit on a disc, and sell the entire loving game. Nowadays it's just the first two levels, aka the most simple and boring part of your product. Assuming there is one in the first place, that is.

Yeah, it really was perfect. And, it's a drat shame that demos stopped existing. It was an absolute highlight of my youth getting a new PC gamer magazine and playing EVERY SINGLE demo on there, you got to see so many cool things that you wouldn't otherwise necessarily ever look at. I don't really understand precisely what killed 'demos' as a thing? I guess youtube somewhat?

It only really dawns on me now, how much I miss that. It's such a stupid thing, but it really was such a staple of my youth. Like I'd get a magazine on a long car journey to see family, or on holiday or something, read it back to back, and get all hype to play the demos when I got home. Or, you know, just turn an otherwise nothing weekend into something exciting and cool. The mag would play a big part in it too, having it curated artistically makes a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

!Klams posted:

Yeah, it really was perfect. And, it's a drat shame I don't really understand precisely what killed 'demos' as a thing? I guess youtube somewhat?

The answer is simple: Idiots paying full price or more for games long before they're released. Demos don't need to exist anymore.