Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My brother in law is Brazilian from Minas Gerais. His family are supporters of Cruzeiro. I went recently and they were loving awesome to me. We got to talking and it was clear I didn't know a loving thing about Brazilian football. They pulled an autographed history of the club from their shelf and wrote a lovely note, then gifted it to me. It was very touching and I told myself I was now a cruzeiro supporter. I feel awful for the team and the supporters. I'll wear the kit out of respect for the love that my new family showed.

That's my stupid cruzeiro story, thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Brazilians are very warm and nice people. Sounds like a good time. Now I want picanha

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's not just that I am biased as an Atletico fan, but Cruzeiro being relegated straight away is actually good for Brazilian football.

Because Cruzeiro had just decided to stop paying some of its debts to foreign clubs, FIFA had decided that the punishment was a loss of 6 points in the Brasileirao. Because it is under appeal, it hadn't happened yet. But there was a pretty decent chance that if cruzeiro had won and ceara lost yesterday, which would have saved cruzeiro, they would still have been relegated anyways, excepted it would have happened in the middle of next season, creating a complete mess.

That, and even for Brazilian standards Cruzeiro's leadership is unusually corrupt. Zeze Perrella, the strong man in cruzeiro, is the Brazilian senator who had a helicopter with 445kg of cocaine caught by federal police, and who somehow escaped any prosecution by blaming the helicopter pilot.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
That's phenomenal. Give me more dirt.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Oh, boy. If you are not familiar with Zeze Perrela, get ready for a ride.

He was a no name guy who bought a small meat packing company called Frigorifico Perrella. It was a small business that he bought for a couple hundred k. He bought his way into Cruzeiro's prominence by advertising relentlessly in local sports media. He went from unknown nobody to pretty well known within football circles in Minas Gerais. Now, the early 90s had been good for cruzeiro. They had revealed this guy you may have heard of, Ronaldo. With him they won the Brazilian cup and were doing pretty great. But mid 1994 they sold him to Europe. So the second semester of 1994 was dogshit for Cruzeiro. In fact, up until this year it had been the closest Cruzeiro had come to relegation. They only escaped because their goal differential was 2 goals better than Remo (which pissed me off because my favorite team, Atletico, had beaten Remo 6-0 - had it been a more modest 3-0 Cruzeiro would have been relegated).

But these bad times after a period of success meant that a grifter like Perrella could come along. He was elected president of Cruzeiro at the end of 1994, and took over early 1995. Because of the sale of Ronaldo, he had money to spend and they signed a bunch of players. Dida (the goalkeeper for Brazil), Palhinha, who had been Libertadores champion with Sao Paulo, and so on. They won the Brazilian Cup again in 1996, and then in 1997, in perhaps the worst winning campaign of all time in libertadores (7 wins, 6 losses, 1 draw) they won the libertadores (in a year where Argentinean players went on strike). This was also the time when big companies were investing heavily in making super teams in Brazil, and so Cruzeiro partnered up with an American private equity firm and got a ton of money.

The end result was that Perrella ran for congress in 1998, won, and then became a faithful ally to Aecio Neves, at the time the most powerful politician in Minas Gerais. Besides being allied with Neves, he was also one of CBF's inside guys, so he had a lot of power within Brazilian soccer. Because he never had the national aspirations that Neves had, and because Neves controlled Minas Gerais media pretty well, Perrela could get away with anything. In the mid 2000s there was a story that was supposed to be the first in a series of stories on corruption in soccer, and it came out that both Perrela and the then president of Corinthians had set up intermediaries in the Cayman Island to get a piece of the transaction money for their respective clubs. The private equity fund, Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst would buy and sell lots of players for cruzeiro, but never directly. It always went through Perrella's intermediary in the Cayman's. So he made a lot of money that way.

So much so that he decided to buy his way into the senate. Brazilian senate elections have a weird set up. It's 3 senators per state, with 8 year terms. So some cycles a state elects 1, some it elects 2. There is no run off for senate, and it's a multi party system, so you can be elected to senate with a fairly minor vote share. But Perrela himself would never be elected. Which is where the other weirdness of the Brazilian system comes in: when you elect a senator, you already elect their replacement in case the elected person doesn't complete their term. It's automatic and its picked by the party. So in 2010 Itamar Franco, former president who was 81 years old and suffering from ill health, ran for senate, and they picked Perrela as his replacement. Franco was elected with less than 30% of the vote (2 seats that year, multiparty system, no run off) and died a couple of months into his term. So now Perrela was going to serve almost 8 years as senator. This was when another scandal broke out. In his election filings, Perrela claimed to be worth some ridiculously low amount. But the press found out that he had a farm worth dozens of millions of dollars. But him and Aecio were so powerful in Minas that he even bragged that the farm was worth far more than what the press was claiming, and nothing happened. Cruzeiro, meanwhile, was struggling while he had these political aspirations. 2011 was the second time Cruzeiro came really close to relegation.

So in 2012, for the first time in 17 years, cruzeiro elected someone other than a Perrela for president. It was perhaps the golden age for cruzeiro. 2 national championships, 2 Brazilian cups. But the president that came after the Perrellas was term limited a couple of years ago, so he threw his support behind this other guy, with the understanding that this other guy would prevent a stooge from the Perrelas from being elected. So the guy he threw his support behind won, but as soon as the election was over it became clear that he was a Perrella stooge as well. He appointed Perrela loyalists to key posts in the administration, and Perrella himself came back as head of the council, and would frequently call the president of Cruzeiro the queen of England (since, as the head of the council, Perrella was the one actually in charge).

Now, Perrella went back to football in 2018 for a simple reason. His term in the senate was up, and its clear he wasn't going to be elected to anything else ever again. While a senator, there was the incident where they caught the helicopter with 455kg of cocaine (which ended up being pinned on the pilot, because apparently someone who can move half a ton of cocaine needs a job as a helicopter pilot to have access to a helicopter). There was the time he was caught on tape talking to Aecio about being a drug dealer and about killing any informants (which he claims was a joke). There was the time suitcases full of money from JBS ended up being delivered to his men to be deposited in his account. Or the time they found out that while Aecio was governor of Minas he had the state buy every crop from Perrella's farm for their school lunch program.

So now the grift was on Cruzeiro's expense. And they've done some truly heinous stuff. Last year the new administration of Cruzeiro made a deal with a financial institution where Cruzeiro received their TV rights up to 2022 in 2018, and the financial institution will then collect it from the TV stations (so there's massive revenue problems on the horizon for cruzeiro). They spent that money on a bunch of nonsense. Perrella's son, for example, was making 100k reais a month as "director of institutional relations," a bullshit title if there ever was one. This year, there was another big scandal because of money laundering in cruzeiro. A bunch of people with close ties to Perrella and the new president were caught doing shady business with cruzeiro, where they would "lend" some money to cruzeiro, and in exchange for the loan get a portion of any future sales of specific players, including a 12 year old promising kid. They paid almost half a million reais to a company for scouting services, but it turns out that the company that they hired for that was in fact a lumberyard. To cover the hole of all that stealing, they engaged in super shady dealings. So Arrascaeta was sold in 2019 to Flamengo, but they included the amount that they received for him in their 2018 balance sheet. They paid their football director hundreds of thousands of dollars for services rendered in 2017, except in 2017 the guy didn't work for cruzeiro because it was the last year of the previous president. We're talking about openly rapacious stuffy here. Stealing at an unparalleled pace, even for Brazilian standards.

Anyways, that's the little bit that has been reported on how incredibly corrupt the strongman in Cruzeiro is.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

joepinetree posted:

Corruption stuff

This is a good post and I appreciate it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Rumor is that Atlético mineiro is close to signing Rafael Dudamel as manager. I have no idea if he's good or bad.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I really love this continent with all my heart

https://twitter.com/varskysports/status/1219678790533685248?s=21

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Copa Libertadores is the best copa.
Another great thing:

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 22, 2020

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

When I was growing up there was a team called Union Minas that played at 4,330 meters (14,210 ft) elevation. I can't imagine what getting there from LIma must have been like in the 90s.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Guy gets caught cheating on stadium cam in Ecuador

https://www.alairelibre.cl/noticias...-20/064424.html

Blames the internet, the media, the cameramen, anyone but himself for "destroying his relationship"

https://www.alairelibre.cl/noticias...-22/062104.html

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atlético mineiro signed savarino from the mls and is on the verge of hiring soteldo. That plus Dudamel and Otero on the club already and Atlético is becoming the Venezuelan national team.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/elClubOlimpia/status/1227271323677794306

what

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I had seen that rumored last week and was so sure it was gonna go the way of Balotelli to Flamengo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I just read that Dani Osvaldo played for Banfield yesterday. I guess being a rock star didn’t work out.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

I just read that Dani Osvaldo played for Banfield yesterday. I guess being a rock star didn’t work out.

I've listened to one of his songs

It definitely didn't work out

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I guess doing rock rolinga doesn't pay well anymore or at all.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What a while 2 months Atletico has had

Tried for Sampaoli in December, he rejected Atletico, so Atletico hired Dudamel instead. Dudamel managed to get bounced from Sudamericana and Copa do Brasil in the early rounds (the copa do brasil was against a Serie D opponent) so he was fired and now we successfully hired... Sampaoli.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://twitter.com/hevertonfutebol/status/1263261451701170176

I don't see how Cruzeiro survives this. They've already been penalized with the loss of 6 points for serie B because of unpaid debts.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

joepinetree posted:

I don't see how Cruzeiro survives this. They've already been penalized with the loss of 6 points for serie B because of unpaid debts.

broke rear end milhoes

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

This is insane. Weren’t they competing in the Libertadores like...5 years ago? What happened here? Other than relegation I guess.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

On this very page Joeinpinetree tree wrote a nice summary of one of their presidents, which included this decent explanation. One of the other Brazilians can maybe comment if there were other factors which caused such dire finances.

joepinetree posted:

Last year the new administration of Cruzeiro made a deal with a financial institution where Cruzeiro received their TV rights up to 2022 in 2018, and the financial institution will then collect it from the TV stations (so there's massive revenue problems on the horizon for cruzeiro). They spent that money on a bunch of nonsense. Perrella's son, for example, was making 100k reais a month as "director of institutional relations," a bullshit title if there ever was one. This year, there was another big scandal because of money laundering in cruzeiro. A bunch of people with close ties to Perrella and the new president were caught doing shady business with cruzeiro, where they would "lend" some money to cruzeiro, and in exchange for the loan get a portion of any future sales of specific players, including a 12 year old promising kid. They paid almost half a million reais to a company for scouting services, but it turns out that the company that they hired for that was in fact a lumberyard. To cover the hole of all that stealing, they engaged in super shady dealings. So Arrascaeta was sold in 2019 to Flamengo, but they included the amount that they received for him in their 2018 balance sheet. They paid their football director hundreds of thousands of dollars for services rendered in 2017, except in 2017 the guy didn't work for cruzeiro because it was the last year of the previous president. We're talking about openly rapacious stuffy here. Stealing at an unparalleled pace, even for Brazilian standards.

Anyways, that's the little bit that has been reported on how incredibly corrupt the strongman in Cruzeiro is.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

are those in reais or dollars?

It's bad either way but it's slightly less bad if it's usd.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Once 'rona ravages Brazil I'm sure the debt will be forgiven

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

This is insane. Weren’t they competing in the Libertadores like...5 years ago? What happened here? Other than relegation I guess.

A lot of that deficit is simply recognition of the deficits that had been masked before. So 2018 originally shown a smaller deficit, but that was because they had used the sale of Arrascaeta in January to put that value in 18. They were also doing things like getting advances from TV deals and then putting the regular payment in the following year's balance.

Also, they were national champions in 13 and 14, and brazil cup champions in 17 and 18.

Simone Poodoin posted:

are those in reais or dollars?

It's bad either way but it's slightly less bad if it's usd.

Reais, but a lot of the debt is in dollars, and with the real tanking it means the debt is ballooning even faster.

They already lost 6 points in this year's serie B because they didn't pay back Al Wahda. At the end of the month, they have to pay what they owe to Zorya Luhansk, and if they don't, its another 6 point loss. Now, those don't mean that the debt is gone. Cruzeiro will get another 5 or 6 months to pay that debt. If they don't, then it's automatic relegation to Serie C. And they still haven't paid the full fee for Arrascaeta to Danubio.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Once 'rona ravages Brazil I'm sure the debt will be forgiven

The debt with the state and maybe even with players, sure. But foreign clubs aren't going to go for that.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 21, 2020

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/juansante/status/1263616796994740225?s=21

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I was going to post that! lol.
https://twitter.com/Juansante/status/1263618455112212481?s=20

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 24, 2020

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atletico is on an unparalleled spending streak recently. Junior Alonso, Nathan, Bueno, Marrony, Keno, Alan Franco, Léo Sena...
No earth shattering names, but pretty decent players for over 100 million reais. How they can afford it is not entirely clear. But the talk is that the owner of MRV (the large construction conglomerate) is giving all that money.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
How many years before it comes back to bite them in the rear end? I'm giving in two.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What the owner of MRV is saying is that he is providing the money for the transactions as interest free, unguaranteed loans. Says that if these players sell for more than he paid, he gets his money back. And if not, he loses the money. But nowhere do they discuss who's paying the salaries. Very weird given what has happened with the cross town rivals cruzeiro.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Austin just signed Rodney Reyes from Guarani. Anyone here have an opinion about him?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I read tangentially that’s there is some rival Mexican league to LigaMX. It’s not recognized by FIFA but apparently at least one team has money because Riccardo Montolivo might head over there. I can actually only find Spanish sources on the rumor, but the league exists anyway. What’s the deal?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Gigi Galli posted:

I read tangentially that’s there is some rival Mexican league to LigaMX. It’s not recognized by FIFA but apparently at least one team has money because Riccardo Montolivo might head over there. I can actually only find Spanish sources on the rumor, but the league exists anyway. What’s the deal?

Looks like this is the league: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liga_de_Balompi%E9_Mexicano

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol, Carlos Salcido is the President.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Brasileirao just came back, and Goiás has 10 positive cases, 8 which were going to start today, so off to a good start.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Atletico just beat Flamengo in Rio, so off to a great start.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

How many more teams with Atlético in their name are there? Can we relegate Flamengo this way?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
At least 3.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Redczar posted:

Brasileirao just came back, and Goiás has 10 positive cases, 8 which were going to start today, so off to a good start.

Update: 4 guys with COVID-19 started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

One switched to Athletico to avoid confusion

Edward Mass posted:

Update: 4 guys with COVID-19 started.

CBF's policy is completely arbitrary and will obviously be exploited when necessary. Total discretion as to whether games go on as planned or are postponed given covid.