Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Woodchip posted:

Meh, the constant flooding rain should fix that issue.

You would think so, but the harder the rains are the smaller % of it that gets absorbed into groundwater. Whatever drains away as floodwaters or through storm sewers into rivers doesn't end up in the aquifers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The funniest* thing is that this is well known and everyone just accepts that the aquifer will run dry at some point and oh well. Like they've known for decades this was happening and just decided to accept that their ultimately doomed. https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article28640722.html

*You may disagree as to whether this is funny

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Found a map with a legend further in the thread

https://twitter.com/TheDCSentinel/status/1263478047333908482

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Are the splotches in Idaho/Washington the result of the dams on the snake river and columbia river?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

The funniest* thing is that this is well known and everyone just accepts that the aquifer will run dry at some point and oh well. Like they've known for decades this was happening and just decided to accept that their ultimately doomed. https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article28640722.html

But I need to water my lawn now!

I have to have a garden which looks like something from the English countryside, where it rains 12 hours a day, 300 days a year. I just have to!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

people don't even know why they have lawns. that's the wildest part.

lawns emerged fully formed in 1951 as an essential part of American existence, they have no prehistory.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

hypothetically, if someone gets their drinking water from the great lakes, should they be concerned

asking for a friend

That someone would be the entire metro Detroit area

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lawns are a land use problem, not a water use problem

residential water demand is a small fraction of what agriculture uses, it's not even close

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Atrocious Joe posted:

people don't even know why they have lawns. that's the wildest part.

lawns emerged fully formed in 1951 as an essential part of American existence, they have no prehistory.

lawns are an old european aristo thing that eventually got incorporated into public park design in the US

you're right though in that they were a standard feature in levittown and really metastasized from there, along with all the other elements of our suburban hellscape

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

residential water demand is a small fraction of what agriculture uses, it's not even close

Turf grass lawns are bad for more reasons than just water use, and they are still a water use problem. Just not as bad as growing almonds and avocados in California, but then nothing else is

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/NOAAComms/status/1263486884988272641?s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

turf lawns are worse than agricultural lands per capita when it comes to fertilizer run off I believe. I don't have any stats on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if pesticide use on them is disproportionately stupid too.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

hurricane kyle is gonna be the big one, i can feel it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im rooting for edouard cause people will hate how its spelled

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

it's actually insanely funny that we wasted a unique very fresh cleanwater supply of water that could have been used for emergencies and human sustenance in times of severe drought or need, and supported humanity for like 1,000 years if used deliberately and with need, and instead blew through it in like <100 years to grow a bunch of corn that just gets mushed into lovely fuel to make car gogogo and growing cheap $1.99/lb steaks for all the idiot loving moron americans that have to eat a well-done steak w/ potatoes and ketchup everynight for dinner bc that's how manly straight-hood is maintained and anything else is unamerican

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Xaris posted:

it's actually insanely funny that we wasted a unique very fresh cleanwater supply of water that could have been used for emergencies and human sustenance in times of severe drought or need, and supported humanity for like 1,000 years if used deliberately and with need, and instead blew through it in like <100 years to grow a bunch of corn that just gets mushed into lovely fuel to make car gogogo and growing cheap $1.99/lb steaks for all the idiot loving moron americans that have to eat a well-done steak w/ potatoes and ketchup everynight for dinner bc that's how manly straight-hood is maintained and anything else is unamerican

ditto oil

good luck to whatever civilizations arise over the next 10 million years, your cheap, easy fuel source to bootstrap from is gone, hope the 12 month long hypercane season is treating you ok

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Atrocious Joe posted:

turf lawns are worse than agricultural lands per capita when it comes to fertilizer run off I believe. I don't have any stats on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if pesticide use on them is disproportionately stupid too.

proper lawn care involving getting rid of leaves each fall and throwing away all the grass clippings and then needing to add a bunch of fertilizer is the greatest part of the entire scam that is owning a lawn

I just let the leaves stay on my lawn over the winter, then mow them in the spring, and my lawn remains full green and healthy with nothing else to add on my part

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spime Wrangler posted:

ditto oil

good luck to whatever civilizations arise over the next 10 million years, your cheap, easy fuel source to bootstrap from is gone, hope the 12 month long hypercane season is treating you ok

Hey, you just need to make a wind turbines that can survive those hyper canes and you're all set

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, you just need to make a wind turbines that can survive those hyper canes and you're all set

Sheltering in place as a hurricane whips 120-foot-long turbine blades at my house

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

You would think so, but the harder the rains are the smaller % of it that gets absorbed into groundwater. Whatever drains away as floodwaters or through storm sewers into rivers doesn't end up in the aquifers

As a fun bonus, the torrential rains also sweep away topsoil. So heavy rain fall not only doesn't replenish groundwater it also actively destroys the soil

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My favorite lawn thing was spraypainting lawns green with weirdass green fertilizer mix poo poo during the winter.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the mississippi delta?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ground water is not water you can see its unda da groun

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
ground water, as opposed to whole bean water

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

big fan of our insistence on large-scale irrigation and animal agriculture in the southwest and california, places famous for having plentiful water supplies

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

that usgs site posted:

Estimated groundwater depletion in the United States during 1900–2008 totals approximately 1,000 cubic kilometers (km3).

lake superior's got like 1200 years of freshwater for us at that rate! what's the big deal

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

aka aquafaba

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spime Wrangler posted:

lake superior's got like 1200 years of freshwater for us at that rate! what's the big deal

lmfao the united states is totally gonna aral sea the great lakes as the aquifers dry up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spime Wrangler posted:

lake superior isnt right under the crops

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao the united states is totally gonna aral sea the great lakes as the aquifers dry up

The soviets realized that the aral sea was an abomination that only existed as a fluke of nature, it's time we do the same with Lake Erie.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Flunky posted:

hurricane kyle is gonna be the big one, i can feel it

lol if Hurricane Marco hits FL and Little Marco has to answer for it

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

"American Society of Civil Engineers" always saying we need more infrastructure spending....hmmm....

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Minrad posted:

proper lawn care involving getting rid of leaves each fall and throwing away all the grass clippings and then needing to add a bunch of fertilizer is the greatest part of the entire scam that is owning a lawn

I just let the leaves stay on my lawn over the winter, then mow them in the spring, and my lawn remains full green and healthy with nothing else to add on my part
why contain it? let the leaves pile up on your lawn. let them heat up in the springtime in a mushy pile of compost. in the end, your garden will be begging to get some of that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lol if Hurricane Marco hits FL and Little Marco has to answer for it

funnier if it fucks up dc and rubio has to apologize to trump

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But I need to water my lawn now!

I have to have a garden which looks like something from the English countryside, where it rains 12 hours a day, 300 days a year. I just have to!

Imagine watering your lawn or raking leaves. Who do you think does that poo poo in the forest, bitch?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Imagine watering your lawn or raking leaves. Who do you think does that poo poo in the forest, bitch?

Nobody raking the forests is why they keep catching on fire!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it always feels bonkers to me that hurricane andrew was in mid august and was...andrew

so I find myself making sure the list hadn't lapped back around or something :supaburn:

gently caress that storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

why contain it? let the leaves pile up on your lawn. let them heat up in the springtime in a mushy pile of compost. in the end, your garden will be begging to get some of that.

thats what cool people do

the rest have chemlawn show up weekly and contribute to dead zones at the outflow of rivers in the gulf of mexico