Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
We've already learned this through globalization. We are all overvalued based on the circumstances of our time and location. An hour is an hour, from New Zealand to India to Germany to Indonesia. If for some reason a San Franciscian developer's labor is worth 30 Bengaloreans' effort, I promise you its not because of some natural right or power, but has circumstance as some component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1263551045977780224

The primary process was basically going to Baskin Robbins and gazing at all the different flavors and saying "hmm yes, I'll have a scoop of vanilla with an extra scoop of vanilla"

You make the process sound far too reasonable.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I've seen rumours, but no proof, that Biden is also considering Nikki Haley

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t believe it.

If Biden is considering Nikki Haley, he’s dumber than I thought, and that’s quite a feat.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/INUnPlugged/status/1263778035481718784

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Now call me crazy but I think Facebook was making a tidy profit before the remote work started. Since the remote work started they are still turning a profit and can probably even increase that profit by running smaller offices, using less utilities etc.

So, with this increase in profit, an ideal scenario would be that workers would earn even more money. Instead, those that choose to work remotely are asked to take a pay cut if they move elsewhere.

If you want to hire new remote-only workers at a lower rate I could see that. With how rapidly gentrification and rent / property value increases take off (looking at places like Austin) etc, it seems dumb to make local cost of living a large factor or if it is going to be then have it adjusted at set intervals or something but the entire concept of making your wage dependent upon your locality instead of your skills and performance seems pretty poo poo imo.

FWIW I negotiated my salary to work at a smaller more rural school but am expected to compete on a national level with my research program so I used the national salary averages in that negotiation and got the pay increase I wanted when hired.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Best Friends posted:

I work for a company that already does work from home + scaling income to where you were hired. What happens for people who stick around is they get hired in high income areas then eventually move to low income areas and never get a raise again but they still live like kings. But, and it's a big but - no one gets their pay outright cut due to a move. That's Facebook being really special to its own. Given the sort of moral behavior that company encourages this is inevitably going to lead to massive fraud and then massive surveillance to combat the fraud.

You're not wrong but if anything I see other companies follow their example.

They'll just be smarter about it and copy the government/military who already does this: they'll start hiring with part of the salary explicitly designated as COLA.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

Now call me crazy but I think Facebook was making a tidy profit before the remote work started. Since the remote work started they are still turning a profit and can probably even increase that profit by running smaller offices, using less utilities etc.

Ad revenue is expected to drop. http://swexperts.com/news/software-engineer-salaries-by-country/

Increasing that profit by running smaller offices would require selling your campus (this is a bad time to sell) and firing support staff. I dont think people will be happy about it. This isn't exactly liquid.

Utilities ( within the offices--server requirements don't change) are probably barely a drop in the bucket.

The common assumption seems to be that an employer gets the same work done by remote work, and I don't think thats been demonstrated.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Do you own stock in facebook or something

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ad revenue drops will be an issue irrespective of remote vs proximal work environments.

piL posted:

Increasing that profit by running smaller offices would require selling your campus (this is a bad time to sell)

It doesn't have to happen immediately.

piL posted:

firing support staff

will make FB more money by lowering overhead

piL posted:

I dont think people will be happy about it.

Neither will taking a pay cut for working remotely.

piL posted:

This isn't exactly liquid.

piL posted:

Utilities ( within the offices--server requirements don't change) are probably barely a drop in the bucket.

Yeah probably not but if you factor in cutting support staff of a larger campus, lower insurance costs, perks and amenities of a larger campus catering to more people, etc...

piL posted:

The common assumption seems to be that an employer gets the same work done by remote work, and I don't think thats been demonstrated.

Fair, but has the inverse been demonstrated instead?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do you own stock in facebook or something

No, I just listen to economics podcasts a lot, and the arguments people are making in this thread really seem to be, "this is bad because Facebook is evil" (which is true) "and here's a bunch of poorly thought out arguments for why. Assume they're true because the outcome they're supporting is true."

Like, they should pay people with a median salary of $240,000 more because the electrical bills are lower is absurd. Whats the electrical bill delta spread across the workforce, $3/month?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

piL posted:

No, I just listen to economics podcasts a lot, and the arguments people are making in this thread really seem to be, "this is bad because Facebook is evil" (which is true) "and here's a bunch of poorly thought out arguments for why. Assume they're true because the outcome they're supporting is true."

Like, they should pay people with a median salary of $240,000 more because the electrical bills are lower is absurd. Whats the electrical bill delta spread across the workforce, $3/month?

Not arguing per se that they should be payed more, just definitely not less.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

Ad revenue drops will be an issue irrespective of remote vs proximal work environments.

will make FB more money by lowering overhead

Neither will taking a pay cut for working remotely.

Yeah probably not but if you factor in cutting support staff of a larger campus, lower insurance costs, perks and amenities of a larger campus catering to more people, etc...

My lovely assumption was that your post implied a 'right the hell now' which it doesn't. So my bad.

Re: lower costs: I think costs can go either way--people will want more money for a hire without the campus amenities, insurance may not be cheaper since the cyber risk is much higher, etc. Accounting/legal costs across state and national lines. I dont know if its settled.

quote:

Fair, but has the inverse been demonstrated instead?

I think by changing pay based on location,, Facebook is keeping the road open to capitalize on the back of their employees who want to move* but they still won't want to lose those employees. Location scaling let's them adapt that pay based on the outcome of the data they haven't collected yet. Zuck wants to give people options but wants to have some input on the decision so not all of his executives and engineers don't move away. He wants to give them options for a totally greedy reason: he doesn't want to hemmorage talent to firms that do give options.

*again, those in senior positions at a company with a median pay of a quarter million.

piL fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 22, 2020

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Gizmodo with the line of the year

https://gizmodo.com/alleged-drug-dealer-sentenced-to-death-by-hanging-via-z-1843559182

quote:

It’s not clear if sentencing someone to death is against Zoom’s terms of service.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Fuckin RIP

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1263811764287725574?s=19

That French wackodoctor probably got a bunch of people killed. This still isn't the gold standard randomized trial, but it's overpowered by sheer numbers / locations.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Gonna be an embarassing few months until the election

https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/1263828049411354630

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's a hell of an act, what do you call it?

The democrats!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

egyptian rat race posted:

Internal monologue: There's no way he said that, people are paraphrasing with quotation marks and taking poo poo out of context. Ugh. Let me watch this and see what people are overreacting to.
Yeah, nope, not a paraphrase. Pretty direct.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

piL posted:

Less an assumption and more the actual data judging by googling "work from home productivity" https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/15259-working-from-home-more-productive.html

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Internet Wizard posted:

Less an assumption and more the actual data judging by googling "work from home productivity" https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/15259-working-from-home-more-productive.html

Ah.

quote:

A 2019 survey by Airtasker says yes. Researchers polled 1,004 full-time employees throughout the U.S. about their productivity, their commutes and other facets of their lives. 

I'm sure that survey by an online tasking app used a rigorous methodology to back up broad statements using only the most reliable form of data collection: self reporting. I should be able to safely use its rather broad conclusions to predict outcomes in a variety of distinct and nuanced challenges.

But the truth is, while what you linked is scientifically meaningless and has zero predictive power (even if it's true, is there an interaction between what proportion of the workforce is remote? Between which positions, etc), I haven't really dived through the literature to see if there are any meaningful studies. My assumption here is people tasked to risk millions of dollars, some of it their own, have done so and are not, as many would suggest, just trying to stick it to the common everyman (millionaire silicon valley engineer and executive).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I defer to Dave Weigel and others on a lot of this stuff:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1263844179634946049?s=19

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1263845113815535616?s=19

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1263843228731744256?s=19

I'm thinking this is just Obama's "you didn't build that" again, it will be broadcast all over the place, and affect literally nothing.

Edit: probably worth putting in the Biden campaign response

https://twitter.com/SymoneDSanders/status/1263849040325816320?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 22, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Biden is going to shoot himself in the dick and hand Trump four more years on a silver platter, isn't he?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

can I get this dude to manage my portfolio

https://twitter.com/ChampagneSharks...ingawful.com%2F

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't see how him having a poll lead at this point is a mark in his favor that what ever he does is "good" beyond having a pulse and "(D)" next to his name. From what I've seen generic democrat vs trump has the generic democrat winning by various margins and he's not doing better than the generic ballot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't see how him having a poll lead at this point is a mark in his favor that what ever he does is "good" beyond having a pulse and "(D)" next to his name. From what I've seen generic democrat vs trump has the generic democrat winning by various margins and he's not doing better than the generic ballot.

If you're a democrat, and you're running even to the generic democrat number, you're doing a really good job!

Example: McConnell. Public Policy Polling just did Kentucky and they showed McConnell 47%, Generic Democrat 43%. He will win by 15-20% because once he's put up against an actual human Democrat, with a name, negative ads, and actual policy speeches, McConnell will probably win easily. He's not running against a generic democrat because "generic democrat" doesn't exist!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

piL posted:

Ah.

I'm sure that survey by an online tasking app used a rigorous methodology to back up broad statements using only the most reliable form of data collection: self reporting. I should be able to safely use its rather broad conclusions to predict outcomes in a variety of distinct and nuanced challenges.

But the truth is, while what you linked is scientifically meaningless and has zero predictive power (even if it's true, is there an interaction between what proportion of the workforce is remote? Between which positions, etc), I haven't really dived through the literature to see if there are any meaningful studies. My assumption here is people tasked to risk millions of dollars, some of it their own, have done so and are not, as many would suggest, just trying to stick it to the common everyman (millionaire silicon valley engineer and executive).

Perhaps the second or third google results then

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisw...e/#2a53def980dc

quote:

Without using spyware or capturing keystrokes, a California-based company has tracked a 47% increase in worker productivity. Based on non-invasive technology that doesnt grab user passwords, credit card info or other sensitive data, an eye-opening survey shows that smart companies are gaining ground by having workers work from home. What does the data tell us about how employees and team leaders can maximize output during the new normal?

https://news.stanford.edu/2020/03/30/productivity-pitfalls-working-home-age-covid-19/

quote:

That research was based on a randomized control trial on 1,000 employees of Ctrip, a Chinese travel company. The experiment revealed that working from home during a nine-month period led to a 13 percent increase in performance almost an extra day of output per week plus a 50 percent drop in employee-quit rates. The experiment was so successful that Ctrip rolled out working from home to the whole firm.

Or just keep assuming you know better without even a single search, I guess

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

piL posted:

My lovely assumption was that your post implied a 'right the hell now' which it doesn't. So my bad.

Re: lower costs: I think costs can go either way--people will want more money for a hire without the campus amenities, insurance may not be cheaper since the cyber risk is much higher, etc. Accounting/legal costs across state and national lines. I dont know if its settled.

I think by changing pay based on location,, Facebook is keeping the road open to capitalize on the back of their employees who want to move* but they still won't want to lose those employees. Location scaling let's them adapt that pay based on the outcome of the data they haven't collected yet. Zuck wants to give people options but wants to have some input on the decision so not all of his executives and engineers don't move away. He wants to give them options for a totally greedy reason: he doesn't want to hemmorage talent to firms that do give options.

*again, those in senior positions at a company with a median pay of a quarter million.

No prob man I was just kinda thinking out loud on it anyways as opposed to trying to make a strong argument (because I am just guessing at all of the above) .

Zuck's motivation you present sounds extremely plausible as well.

:laffo:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

If you're a democrat, and you're running even to the generic democrat number, you're doing a really good job!

Example: McConnell. Public Policy Polling just did Kentucky and they showed McConnell 47%, Generic Democrat 43%. He will win by 15-20% because once he's put up against an actual human Democrat, with a name, negative ads, and actual policy speeches, McConnell will probably win easily. He's not running against a generic democrat because "generic democrat" doesn't exist!

I still don't understand, because by the end of the primary before everyone started dropping everyone except Tulsi where polling similarly positively against Trump from what I can see just looking at various polls. Which seems to me, people are more looking for not Trump rather than Biden in any specific capacity. So in my opinion you(twitter dude) can't say "This old dude saying stupid poo poo is working" because polls are positive

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CBJSprague24 posted:

Biden is going to shoot himself in the dick and hand Trump four more years on a silver platter, isn't he?

Who knows? It turns out that the American electorate likes an angry old white guy who unapologetically says the dumbest poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

God I can't wait for the debates

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

God willing Biden will need a walker and Trump will be in a rascal scooter.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm seriously torn on trying to anticipate whether it's going to be two geriatric dementia patients flinging insults and dentures at each other or one/both of them just refuse to do debates.

This being 2020 I will be wrong and the universe will manage to outdo my expectations of stupidity, leaving me yet again shocked at how stupid everything is.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

We have been an international embarrassment for a while now but if the debates happen it’s going to be on another level probably.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BigDave posted:

God willing Biden will need a walker and Trump will be in a rascal scooter.

That's what I call representative government!

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

You’re probably saying “but cole, how could debates make us look worse than the poo poo that has already happened?”

Except you’re not saying that at all because you know it’s gonna happen.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

You’re probably saying “but cole, how could debates make us look worse than the poo poo that has already happened?”

Except you’re not saying that at all because you know it’s gonna happen.

Biden and Trump start making out on stage.

CNN calls it "a sign of bipartisanship".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The party of Lemon.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm seriously torn on trying to anticipate whether it's going to be two geriatric dementia patients flinging insults and dentures at each other or one/both of them just refuse to do debates.

This being 2020 I will be wrong and the universe will manage to outdo my expectations of stupidity, leaving me yet again shocked at how stupid everything is.

this will be the year we resurrect the old traditions of leaders designating champions to do their fighting for them

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

LingcodKilla posted:

The party of Lemon.

:hmmno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think Biden is the only dem Trump would be willing to debate, after how Hillary of all people wrecked him. Dems will not pull out of a debate because following the norms when engaging republicans is their core value. I think they're going to happen.