Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Drone posted:

My mask has a little pouch in it to put a filter in

I might stick some kinda Kühlakku in there, this thing is hot and uncomfortable as gently caress now that it's becoming summer.

I'm not an engineer: But wouldn't that lead to more condensation around the Kühlakku and thereby diminish the effectiveness of the mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Einbauschrank posted:

I'm not an engineer: But wouldn't that lead to more condensation around the Kühlakku and thereby diminish the effectiveness of the mask?

Yes it was a joke on this, an internet comedy forum

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
You could install a condensation drip line down the side of your leg

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

SavageGentleman posted:

So they sewed tiny little face masks for the hamsters? (I guess not but it's a happy little thought)
They just put some masks with a fan attached between the cages, but yeah, i love the mental image. :3:

Drone posted:

Yes it was a joke on this, an internet comedy forum
tbh i thought you were serious too :shobon:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't know how you guys can find masks in any way comfortable. I can't wear those things for more than ten minutes without having heavy breathing trouble. It might just be psychosomatic, but they make me take increasingly heavy breaths. And each one feels worse, because there's not as much air coming in as it's supposed to and oh my god I'm going to suffocate! I tried several different masks and I get panic attacks each time after a short while.
Usually it's okay since I only put that mask on for the 5 minutes I'm in a store, but today I had to go to the pharmacy next to it afterwards and wait for four people before me. I actually had to step away from the que, get a few meters away, take my mask off, take some actual breaths, put that thing back on and get back to the end of the line. That made me wait longer in total, but felt absolutely necessary.
Also, last week I tried wearing that thing on the way to the shop, to satisfy you guys, and I took the bike. I was completely out of breath 200 meters from my house.

If I had to go to an office and they would demand that I wear such a thing all day, I feel like I'd have to quit.

Masks are awful!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I haven't tried anything strenuous with the mask, but for normal walking around purposes I don't mind at all. Sure, it feels different, but I can breathe enough.

Maybe I'm already used to breathing being hard due to allergies.

But yeah, people are different, and if you can't stand it just wear it only in the shops. Just keep a bit more distance outside :shrug:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Maybe your condition is just exceptionally low? I'm used to biking a lot and despite being very overweight can run up and down stairs all day. Meanwhile my bemuscled house mate is nearly dying after climbing up a single flight of stairs.

You could also try getting a thinner mask like the black cloth ones. They still work as windbreakers and if that helps you wear them more consistently that's better overall.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Breathing through filters for a prolonged period requires breathing discipline and is noticeably exhausting. Just like with everything else though you can get used to it.

Having said that breathing through what is essentially a throwaway filter cloth can get more obnoxious than the more sophisticated solutions.

Every mask that does not have a dedicated escape valve for breathing out will moist the filter medium over time which makes it a lot harder to pull substantial amounts of air. It does improve particle adsorption within the filter though especially with micro particles.

The more sophisticated halb und Vollmasken with replaceable filter cartridges keep the filter fully dry and out of contact with moist breath but they can absolutely flood with condensate up to the escape valve which can lead to people experiencing drowning anxiety if they can absolutely not put the mask off.

This was a very real panic thing during the Iraq war when soldiers with very little mask time and experience had sit in the desert night with the choice of trying to breath through a halfway flooded ABC mask or potentially getting a nose of Milzbrand.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

Maybe your condition is just exceptionally low? I'm used to biking a lot and despite being very overweight can run up and down stairs all day. Meanwhile my bemuscled house mate is nearly dying after climbing up a single flight of stairs.

You could also try getting a thinner mask like the black cloth ones. They still work as windbreakers and if that helps you wear them more consistently that's better overall.

Nah, I don't think that's it. While I am definitely not at my peak condition right now, (I really miss going to the gym, to the boulder hall and swimming.) I am still doing alright, these days.
It's probably just the way I breathe. I am usually taking big, calm, slow breaths, filling my lungs completely. I guess if I am breathing this way and my lung doesn't actually fill as much as expected, I'm starting to hyperventilate.

I am trying to get used to this, but it feels really sickening. I am certainly never going to wear a mask further than the law describes.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't know how you guys can find masks in any way comfortable. I can't wear those things for more than ten minutes without having heavy breathing trouble. It might just be psychosomatic, but they make me take increasingly heavy breaths. And each one feels worse, because there's not as much air coming in as it's supposed to and oh my god I'm going to suffocate! I tried several different masks and I get panic attacks each time after a short while.
Usually it's okay since I only put that mask on for the 5 minutes I'm in a store, but today I had to go to the pharmacy next to it afterwards and wait for four people before me. I actually had to step away from the que, get a few meters away, take my mask off, take some actual breaths, put that thing back on and get back to the end of the line. That made me wait longer in total, but felt absolutely necessary.
Also, last week I tried wearing that thing on the way to the shop, to satisfy you guys, and I took the bike. I was completely out of breath 200 meters from my house.

If I had to go to an office and they would demand that I wear such a thing all day, I feel like I'd have to quit.

Masks are awful!

They're certainly not fun op, but feeling like you're suffocating so quickly is not normal. In addition to what others said, you could try shaving your beard if you have one.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Masks are awful!

I get terrible headaches depending on how the straps press on my skull. :(

I've never read that wearing masks is mandatory (or even specifically recommended) in open, uncrowded areas or while biking. You're supposed to keep your distance, but nobody needs you to hyperventilate and suffer from anxiety attacks for our amusement.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

They're certainly not fun op, but feeling like you're suffocating so quickly is not normal. In addition to what others said, you could try shaving your beard if you have one.

Hmm. That might help. Haven't really shaved since the lockdown started.
I guess I am also sort of exaggerating. It feels like suffocation, but, knowing about the actual effect from a logical perspective, I could certainly muster up the discipline power through half an hour of that, in an emergency.
Then again, water boarding doesn't have an actual risk of suffocation either. Lack of air is just a deeply natural fear. I guess if the common way to prevent spread of infection was having a small flame directly in front of your eyes at all times, I would find it deeply uncomfortable too.

I certainly don't understand people who feel so comfortable in those masks that they would like them to be a societal norm.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 22, 2020

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I certainly don't understand people who feel so comfortable in those masks that they would like them to be a societal norm.

I don't want them to be a societal norm, I just want to be able to wear one when I want to without being looked at like a weirdo. Just like it already is in East Asia, when you see someone walking around with a mask in the future you'll just think "well, he probably has his reasons" instead of getting excited.

Imagine how nice it would be if, in the future, it was normal for people with annoying colds and flus to wear a mask.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

*barges into thread with a big foliant titled "Faces of the Ruhrgebiet"*

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Randler posted:

*barges into thread with a big foliant titled "Faces of the Ruhrgebiet"*

:argh:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Hmm. That might help. Haven't really shaved since the lockdown started.
I guess I am also sort of exaggerating. It feels like suffocation, but, knowing about the actual effect from a logical perspective, I could certainly muster up the discipline power through half an hour of that, in an emergency.
Then again, water boarding doesn't have an actual risk of suffocation either. Lack of air is just a deeply natural fear. I guess if the common way to prevent spread of infection was having a small flame directly in front of your eyes at all times, I would find it deeply uncomfortable too.

I am kinda used to masks from my ambulance days and I think it helps to breathe through your nose. Your mouth tends to suck in the mask which adds to the feeling of not being able to breathe. But the tip of your nose keeps them mask away from your nostrils and breathing is easier. Plus you release slightly less moisture through your nose that accumulated in the mask.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
We did it guys!
According to these numbers there are less than 10.000 active cases in Germany. Time to kiss your family, share some ice cream with strangers and burn your masks.

I honestly didn't think those numbers would slip below 15.000, since most things are opened by now. Of course, the daily rate of recoveries is going down too, so those changes in active cases get slower and slower.
I do wonder how low these numbers go, before there's an actual uptick again.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 23, 2020

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I dunno, looks like there’ll at least be flareups and all it’ll take is an Ischgl event, but at least we’re keeping big gatherings down. Still:

https://twitter.com/tagesschau/status/1263925371365396482?s=21

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

Haha, thank you for using the German word here. It made my day start with a laff, because it made me remember that once my birth Land had a Ministerpräsident by the name of Milbradt (a terrible technocrat), aptly nicknamed Milzbrand. :v:
He was bullied out of his Amt by his fellow CDU cronies because he was so visibly terrible it tanked the Umfragewerte really hard.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
LMAO, at describing "Iraq had WMDs" as very real

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sorry if it reads like that, it wasn't supposed to.

Point is that if you are a front line grunt and get told "that moustache guy has SCUDs with anthrax" you kinda are in a tough spot when it's the middle of the night, you have incoming SCUD alarm and your ABC mask is halfway flooded to the point where you get a fear of drowning

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Anthrax sounds way more menacing than spleenburn.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Zwille posted:

I dunno, looks like there’ll at least be flareups and all it’ll take is an Ischgl event, but at least we’re keeping big gatherings down. Still:

At least we now have the resources to just track+test everyone remotely involved. Hopefully that will be enough to keep it low.

I know I'm not going to a restaurant except to pickup food for a while - still needa convince my dad not to go out and eat, he thinks going to almost empty restaurants is safer than being in a park since there are more other people in the park.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Zwille posted:

I see your seven restaurantgoers and raise by at least 16 Russian baptists. Religious gatherings (I guess the singing?) seem to be the best way to get cor0wn3d hard.
https://www.fr.de/frankfurt/frankfurt-zahlreiche-infektionen-nach-baptisten-gottesdienst-zr-13773287.html

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah singing vigorously in an enclosed space is basically hotboxing the rona

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I thought singing wasn’t allowed just yet precisely because of that. But on the other hand...

FR.de posted:

Dabei hat die Gemeinde nichts Illegales unternommen. Am 10. Mai war das Feiern von Gottesdiensten in Hessen wieder erlaubt, sagt Walczok. Anders als etwa in der Gastronomie sei eine Registrierung der Besucher mit Namen und Adresse keine Pflicht. Das Abstandsgebot und die Hygieneregeln müssten eingehalten werden. Es gebe keine Richtlinien zur Teilnehmerzahl. „Es gab keine Verletzung einer Rechtsverordnung“, stellt der Vize-Amtsleiter klar.

Die fehlende Registrierpflicht macht die Arbeit der zuständigen Gesundheitsämtern schwierig.

:waycool:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Ika posted:

At least we now have the resources to just track+test everyone remotely involved. Hopefully that will be enough to keep it low.

I know I'm not going to a restaurant except to pickup food for a while - still needa convince my dad not to go out and eat, he thinks going to almost empty restaurants is safer than being in a park since there are more other people in the park.

My parents just asked me if I wanted to meet up in Cologne and have dinner next week. Both them and me would have to travel by train to get there.
I get that they crave normalcy, but pretending that everything is normal again is gonna backfire hard.

Also something to trigger Mithaldu:
Thüringen will landesweite Mundschutz-Pflicht aufheben

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You were successful in causing me to waste 10 minutes on research.

Thüringen is still getting significant amounts of new cases, and i can't help but think this will cause more deaths. They talk about having restrictions determined by locality, but without travel restrictions that is pointless.

At least it'll proportionally affect more nazis than in other places, i guess?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Very subtle

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Bund deutscher Discount-Bestatter :tipshat:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That was very real though. One of the people pushing for letting Karneval stattfind next year is the owner of a Bestattungsinstitut or something.

Speaking of Billigbestatter, there was an interesting article about this (which seems to be a Berlin phenomenon) in the taz a while back:

"taz posted:

„Bei rund einem Viertel der Fälle werden doch noch zahlungspflichtige Angehörige gefunden“, sagt Berolina-Chef Woite. Für ihn bedeutet das entweder unternehmerisches Glück oder Pech. Glück, wenn er der von der Familie gewünschte Bestatter bleibt. Dann kann er in der Regel deutlich mehr berechnen als die 150 Euro, die das Amt bezahlt. Diese Rechnung ist Teil seiner Kalkulation, wie ihm Konkurrenten vorwerfen und Woite unumwunden zugibt. Nur so, quasi als Akquisemethode für Folgeaufträge, ergebe der niedrige Preis einen Sinn.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

tag yourself, I'm the Roland Koch Institut

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

You mean like Italy, the Germans' liebstes Reiseziel, opening its borders in June just time for Pfingstferien? Nah that will be fine. There totally won't be a Bibione strain, a Gardasee strain and a Tuscany strain imported back to us by idiot tourists.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

München update:

I now know what it feels like to hear banging on your door to the tune of "AUFMACHEN, POLIZEI!", closely followed by eight Beamte posturing to barge into your apartment in case you actually are the Haushalt that the domestic disturbance was called in on from the Nachbargebäude.

:stare:

/edit:

Tell you what, though: Not much will get your Kreislauf going quite like that

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

But are your chilis okay? :ohdear:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kinda hilarious that the procedure apparently is to just Sturmtruppen into every single apartment until you find the correct one

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

What a letdown, I was expecting they’d have been called because a neighbor thought you had an illegal growing operation :v:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

München update:

I now know what it feels like to hear banging on your door to the tune of "AUFMACHEN, POLIZEI!", closely followed by eight Beamte posturing to barge into your apartment in case you actually are the Haushalt that the domestic disturbance was called in on from the Nachbargebäude.

:stare:

/edit:

Tell you what, though: Not much will get your Kreislauf going quite like that

This! :ohdear:

System Metternich posted:

But are your chilis okay? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

No joke, as someone who has actually looked up the possible consequences of a Hausdurchsuchung based on an erroneous Anfangsverdacht (like having eighteen Gigawatts of Anzuchtlampen on display throughout the winter on your Fensterbank), I've had this Hintergrund-anxiety about the day where I finally get "the knock on the door" at a "taktische Uhrzeit", because some neighbor decided I was a Tunichtgut of no unerhebliche proportions.

So even though the door-slamming and screaming that is par for course around here got augmented by the rare door-slam-followed-by-shattering-glass-combo today, I still didn't know where it was coming from. I popped my head out the balcony for a quick second because I thought it was coming from down on the street, and from the Hall courtesy of the Münchner Plattenbau, all I could tell is that it was coming from my Gebäude. I figured it wasn't from the raucous Bewohner below me that light to fight audibly once every two weeks before making up, but that was about the extent of it.

One of the Bewohner in the Nachbargebäude screamed "WENN IHR NICHT BALD AUFHÖRT, HOL ICH DIE POLIZEI" (as is customary about once a month), so I fully anticipated that there may be the smell of dünngeschnittener Bauchspeck in the neighborhood before long, and sure enough, Sirenen happened about 20 minutes later. I still had no idea the source of the disturbance was literally right next to me due to the layout of the apartments in the building. The Wohnzimmer of my Nachbarwohnung to the left is separated by one Wand from my own Wohnzimmer, while the Wohnzimmer of the Wohnung to the right is entkoppelt by my own Flur & bathroom, plus the bathroom of the Nachbarwohnung, so I generally only hear disturbances from one set of Nachbarn.

So when I started hearing banging of doors and screaming in my Treppenhaus (on the floor below me at that point), I was still somewhat put-off despite being able to reason that the cops may have been in the wrong Treppenhaus, so I went up to the Türspion and the very thing I see is a Polizeibeamtin approaching the door, slamming on it, and yelling the thing you don't want to hear. At this point, all rational thinking (like "they've got the wrong apartment") went out the window and I apprehensively opened the door to a gaggle of Beamte that were not social-distancing at all in the stairwell, while Polizeiobermeisterin "Zensi" was already pushing into my apartment and very entschiedenly asking whether the "Geschrei" was from my apartment while scoping a look into my Wohnzimmer.

At this point, I - once again - should have put one and one together and chilled out, but chilling out apparently isn't the most natural reaction when you have a group of eager Beamten piling on your doorstep.
I told her that I only heard Geschrei from outside, at which point you could see her calling bullshit in her head, because CLEARLY, I must have known where the noise came from, but she apparently also reasoned that they may have the wrong place since there appeared to be no-one else in my apartment.

So they repeated the whole banging-on-the-door routine at my neighbors, and proceeded to put the boyfriend (?) of my neighbor against the wall upon opening.

What followed was the most German thing that could have possibly transpired, because he calmly (and I do mean calmly) told them that their conduct was "asozial" because they weren't even wearing masks, and this caused the Beamten - hilariously - to immediately issue orders to don masks and call "Abstand" after they checked the guy's pockets. What followed was six Beamten very consciously dispersing at roughly 2m distance in the Treppenhaus while the "perp" was still being secured and just looking thoroughly unbeauftragt.

I was standing in the door in a very dumbfounded and still somewhat rattled manner (because my poor chilis), and eventually just asked "ähhh...brauchen Sie mich eigentlich noch?". They asked whether I was the one that called them and then "dismissed" me.

Soooo, I guess I'm supposed to end this post with "Thanks for listening, namaste", so, uh...thanks for listening, namaste.

/edit:

aphid_licker posted:

Kinda hilarious that the procedure apparently is to just Sturmtruppen into every single apartment until you find the correct one

You're not gonna hear "In defense of the Bayerische Polizei" out of my mouth very often, or - to be more specific - at all, but since the people that called the disturbance in were from the Nachbargebäude and probably just pointed at balconies from across the way when the cops got there, I guess they were checking apartments on the second and third floor in two separate Treppenhäuser.

And to be perfectly fair, when a violent domestic disturbance gets called in, I guess they'd act somewhat decisively on behalf of the potential victim. That the victim in this case was apparently the boyfriend being terrorized by his door-slamming and glass-breaking girlfriend, as opposed to an actual wife-beater, was probably the outlier and not what they expected.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 23, 2020