Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
What's the big deal with eradicating Polio anyways? Almost everyone survives Polio.

All is Polio. Polio is all. Polio will set you free!

All that the Myoctyes and Neurons in your body gotta do is learn how to pull themselves up by their bootstraps when encountering Polio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

my freedom is more important than your health

*dies from covid*

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

COVID-420 posted:

Top 5 New Cases In USA Today

1. Illinois +2,758
2. California +2,387
3. New York +1,579
4. Texas +1,109
5. Pennsylvania +959

New York in third place. Texas skyrocketing to 4th for the first time. Illinois and California racking up some of their highest totals yet.

This weekend is going to be like pouring gasoline on a fire that's already burning quite nicely.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I don't want to do this anymore

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

snoo posted:

please unsubscribe me from this pandemic

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ArmZ posted:

my freedom is more important than your health

*dies from covid*

I was optimistic when I said hair cuts would be like Stalingrad

it’s gonna be the rzhev meat grinder

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

snoo posted:

:same:

I have learned to bake some drat good homemade bread due to this bullshit. So that's the story I'm going to tell when I'm :corsair:. I lived through a pandemic and all I got was this bread recipe.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

snoo posted:

Only 12-18 months left, snoo! Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

POGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao 99% survival rate is horrifically deadly

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

snoo posted:

im staying in until i get another 1200 dollars, at least

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Malcolm XML posted:

people be saying this but irs been several weeks since chud states opened up and we aren't yet seeing hospitals get flooded

"several weeks" isn't long enough for things to get flooded yet, especially since
A. the lockdowns, by dint of...you know, working...cut the growth rate significantly, so gotta get that exponential growth spun back up again
B. despite the "open er up" nonstop chanting, a quieter majority of people in general are more aware of and careful about things (although that "in general" varies by localized area)
C. despite the "average R0", it sounds like there's larger chunks towards either end instead of the actual average-- either you don't infect many people because you start coughing and stay home, or you go absolutely hog wild batshit and infect 20 people because you're a dumb rear end in a top hat incapable of putting together cause and effect

tldr I suspect what we're going to see is what other people have already guessed about localized per-city or per-area big spikes, but where those happen is going to be a result of a bunch of places basically playing chicken with each other in the form of:

- Extremely chud place comes off lockdown very early and vocally, 10% of people are out and about with no ill effects because it's still only 10% of people
- Slightly less chud place comes off lockdown after seeing the 10% place not have a spike in hospitalizations but people are still wary, generally fine because only 20% of people are actually out and about
- Repeat with various places until someone hits the bad dice roll of "too many people, too cavalier about it" and it's New York City Part 2

I do think this thread has (impressively, I know) overestimated the stupidity of people in general, which is easy to do when The Most Stupid People are also the ones being reported on/have their twitters linked ITT 24/7, but covid's not going anywhere except into people's lungs at this point so

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
May 22nd Cum. Deaths Update

C-SPAM University Model vs Epidemiologists:

C-SPAM vs C-SPAM

Notorious R.I.M. has issued a correction as of 03:37 on May 23, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

please unsubscribe me from this pandemic

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Puerto Rico was going to open most beaches to exercise on Tuesday. They apparently just remembered the long weekend and announced a special exemption to open them starting tomorrow.

Lots of theoretical restrictions but I feel things could get crazy since all beaches island wide have been 100% forbidden for over two months.

And yes, I'm going to visit a (secluded) beach tomorrow, why do you ask?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

MorrisBae posted:

The arcade version's "COMING SOON ON THE NINTENDO ULTRA 64" splash screen was very confusing to anyone who wasn't up on gaming magazines, I imagine

COMING TO YOUR HOME IN 1995

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

this is from march or something but it feels like years ago

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Cum deaths. Le petit mort.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

probably too late for the c-spam model; deaths should probably plateau before going up in june but 153k was an awful lot for june 1st; june 30th -- now we are talkin

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

May 22nd Cum. Deaths Update

C-SPAM University Model vs Epidemiologists:

C-SPAM vs C-SPAM

:rip: my prediction

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

people be saying this but irs been several weeks since chud states opened up and we aren't yet seeing hospitals get flooded

That is cause goons actually buy the republican line about opening er up meaning a return to pre-covid times.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Malcolm XML posted:

lol love too be upgraded by hiv into a diseased skeleton

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/montgomery-alabama-icu-bed-shortage/index.html

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

That is cause goons actually buy the republican line about opening er up meaning a return to pre-covid times.

Then again in NC the beaches are seeing nearly normal tourist levels and my chud cousin is instaing from packed restaurant after packed restaurant with no distancing visible, and I saw a packed restaurant with no distancing myself here in NC today

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1263579317935603712?s=20

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

gyms, churches, and restaurants reopening will be when you see some poo poo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

and of course Montgomery has to suffer because that’s probably the only place in AL where all of the suburban exurban and rural chuds have to be taken to

e: ok half the state, forgot Birmingham existed

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 03:55 on May 23, 2020

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Literally the only reason that numbers are flat is because of massive fraud in how we report and collect the statistics.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah, I'm definitely not a good candidate right now :/ Hope those boys find a good home

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KaptainKrunk posted:

gyms, churches, and restaurants reopening will be when you see some poo poo

Dine in opened in NC for anywhere without a stricter local order and from what I saw today no distancing was being done at all. A lot of local places are just saying gently caress that and refusing to reopen but the ones that did are rolling in the chud bucks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

America is taking failed state to a whole nother level

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Literally the only reason that numbers are flat is because of massive fraud in how we report and collect the statistics.

Just the CHUD states. There is no reason to believe that deaths have lowered faster than new cases when the two have been correlated thus far in every country unless you believe less sick people are being tested more (lol).

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

apatheticman posted:

These are our foster cats, they cannot see the world. I envy them.

Chair is comfy as gently caress though.

oh man, you just know those cats know all kinds of unspeakable knowledge

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

Just the CHUD states. There is no reason to believe that deaths have lowered faster than new cases when the two have been correlated thus far in every country unless you believe less sick people are being tested more (lol).

idk I would guess that even in the most insane states vulnerable populations are still fairly locked down. even if the general populace is out spreading the disease and getting infected, taking things like care facilities out of the equation probably lowers the observed deaths/cases ratio pretty significantly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

schools open in three Months

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

euphronius posted:

schools open in three Months

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Stereotype posted:

Hawaii is opening back up next week it sounds like. We have had like two weeks of single digit new cases and many days with zero new cases, including today.

We also are apparently going to require a negative test within 72 hours of traveling to Hawaii and additional tests every 7 days for all visitors. If you don't want / can't get a test then you have to wait in a National Guard administered quarantine for 14 days.

Be exciting to see how long you're able to restrict the rights of citizens to travel anywhere once Trump declares the emergency over.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

snoo posted:

my wife will be allowed to take an unpaid LoA until at least the end of september

my option is this poo poo

Just because your job considers not returning to work a voluntary resignation doesn't mean the state does.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

lmao 99% survival rate is horrifically deadly

99% survival rate with a (conservative) estimate of 33% of the population getting it is 25 million deaths worldwide

we are at... 339,425 deaths

:xcom:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

would you drive if 1 in 100 car trips would kill u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Atrocious Joe posted:

isn't the Vatican even doing remote Masses right now? I think weekly masses and especially weekly communion is a relatively recent thing in that Church anyway.

I know some US Catholic churches are super chuddy and want to/have been open.

The Pope admitting that Martin Luther was right and in one fell swoop resolving the schism that defined human society for hundreds of years and killed millions was the most easily forgettable part of this pandemic.