Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

the capitalists have the state the power and control the resources we need to survive. setting up mutual aid is good, but it's not enough. workers aren't allowed to have enough resources so support each other as a class independent of wage labor. capitalists won't let a system independent of them arise. we can just abandon capitalism, we need to organize to take power and put in place a new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Steve Yun posted:

My birthday is tomorrow. It be a zoom for several friends. I built a Russian prostitute that pees Pinot Grigio on Trump, which I will be drinking from during the zoom.

no I am the furthest thing from depressed. could a depressed person accomplish this? look at her. no.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

My birthday is tomorrow. It be a zoom for several friends. I built a Russian prostitute that pees Pinot Grigio on Trump, which I will be drinking from during the zoom.

no I am the furthest thing from depressed. could a depressed person accomplish this? look at her. no.

this is incredible content

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
It's been posted, but this thread moves fast and I feel that it deserves strong re-emphasis, since y'all keep posting crazy bullshit from Twitter:

Nearly Half Of The Twitter Accounts Discussing ‘Reopening America’ May Be Bots

quote:

Scrolling through your Twitter feed, it may not be obvious when you come upon a bot account — something that is more likely to occur in the era of COVID-19. Carnegie Mellon University researchers have discovered that much of the discussion around the pandemic and stay-at-home orders is being fueled by misinformation campaigns that use convincing bots.

To analyze bot activity around the pandemic, CMU researchers since January have collected more than 200 million tweets discussing coronavirus or COVID-19. Of the top 50 influential retweeters, 82% are bots, they found. Of the top 1,000 retweeters, 62% are bots.

The monitoring of tweets is ongoing and collections from Facebook, Reddit and YouTube have been added to the research.

"We're seeing up to two times as much bot activity as we'd predicted based on previous natural disasters, crises and elections," said Kathleen Carley, a professor in the School of Computer Science’s Institute for Software Research and director of the Center for Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS) and Center for Informed Democracy & Social - Cybersecurity(IDeaS.)

Carley said multiple factors contribute to the surge. First, more individuals have time on their hands to create do-it-yourself bots. But the number of sophisticated groups that hire firms to run bot accounts also has increased. The nature of the pandemic matters, too. "Because it’s global, it’s being used by various countries and interest groups as an opportunity to meet political agendas," she said.

Carley's research team uses multiple methods to determine who is or isn't a bot. Artificial intelligence processes account information and looks at things such as the number of followers, frequency of tweeting and an account's mentions network.

"Tweeting more frequently than is humanly possible or appearing to be in one country and then another a few hours later is indicative of a bot," Carley said.

More than 100 types of inaccurate COVID-19 stories have been identified, such as those about potential cures. But bots are also dominating conversations about ending stay-at-home orders and "reopening America."

Many factors of the online discussions about “reopening America” suggest that bot activity is orchestrated. One indicator is the large number of bots, many of which are accounts that were recently created. Accounts that are possibly humans with bot assistants generate 66% of the tweets. Accounts that are definitely bots generate 34% of the tweets.

"When we see a whole bunch of tweets at the same time or back to back, it's like they're timed," Carley said. "We also look for use of the same exact hashtag, or messaging that appears to be copied and pasted from one bot to the next."

A subset of tweets about "reopening America" reference conspiracy theories, such as hospitals being filled with mannequins or the coronavirus being linked to 5G towers.

"Conspiracy theories increase polarization in groups. It’s what many misinformation campaigns aim to do," Carley said. "People have real concerns about health and the economy, and people are preying on that to create divides."

Carley said that spreading conspiracy theories leads to more extreme opinions, which can in turn lead to more extreme behavior and less rational thinking.
"Increased polarization will have a variety of real-world consequences, and play out in things like voting behavior and hostility towards ethnic groups," Carley said.

The research team cannot point to specific entities behind the orchestrated attempts to influence online conversations. "We do know that it looks like it's a propaganda machine, and it definitely matches the Russian and Chinese playbooks, but it would take a tremendous amount of resources to substantiate that," Carley said.

Carley adds that not enough is known to develop a counter measure. Blocked accounts can resurface, and the nature of the network is such that you can’t just attack at individual points.

But she said average users can do a lot to help protect themselves from bot influence. There is no guarantee, but closely examining an account can offer indications of a bot, such as sharing links with subtle typos, many tweets coming out very quickly, or a user name and profile image that don’t seem to match up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anime was right posted:

im not going outside for like several more months at least

lol send me money

I start work again Wednesday and don't have a real choice about it because my Berniebux never happened

4 months ago I was absolutely certain I'd get this, and had like a 3 month respite, now I'm again absolutely certain I'm gonna get this from the obese shiteheads going to the restaurants. love that nothing has changed one single bit

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
my wife and i are being called back to our stupid lovely retail jobs in CA
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Steve Yun posted:

almost missed this

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

apatheticman posted:

These are our foster cats, they cannot see the world. I envy them.

Chair is comfy as gently caress though.

MURDERLACE
MURDERLACE
MURDERLACE

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Okay, line up 100 relatives or close friends and pick the one who does so you can go to Chik-Fil-A.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yes, it's true that the half-assed closures to slow things down didn't eliminate death. They aren't completely wrong about that.

They are more wrong that the economic damage was preventable. Sweden isn't fine economically.

Sweden unlikely to feel economic benefit of no-lockdown approach

quote:

Mickes, unlike most record shops in Europe, is still open for business. The compact store in southern Stockholm, crammed with thousands of vinyl LPs, last week enjoyed a steady stream of customers taking advantage of Swedens no-lockdown approach to coronavirus.

But owner Micke Englund said that while he was happy his shop was not closed, his business had still been hit hard by Covid-19. When people became aware of coronavirus around March 12, we lost almost overnight 30 per cent. Its OK. For a couple of months, it will work. But after that it will be very, very tough, he said.

quote:

The Riksbank, the countrys central bank, has an even gloomier outlook, estimating that GDP will contract by 7-10 per cent, with unemployment peaking at between 9 and 10.4 per cent. These are disastrous figures for the Scandinavian country.

It is too early to say that we would do better than others. In the end, we think Sweden will end up more or less the same, said Christina Nyman, a former deputy head of monetary policy at the Riksbank who is now chief economist at lender Handelsbanken.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Honestly, looking at my Facebook feed, I'm sad I only get to pick one family member to die.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Malcolm XML posted:

people be saying this but irs been several weeks since chud states opened up and we aren't yet seeing hospitals get flooded

Had a long talk with my wife tonight abiut how I was willing to relax and have my dad come help fix up the house and she got mad that I was giving up after convincing her to be cautious at all times

I basically think 2 things now
the spread was so slow in may that we won't burn out by the end of July , meaning school will happen and spread to everyone
And also that spreading only happens in close quarters where people are talking, the louder the more it spreads

The one factor I don't know is a/c and if it means grocery stores are dangerous or safe

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
40 million people newly unemployed. It would be inaccurate to say 'you're all in the same boat'; you're social distancing, so you're each in your own boat. A more accurate description of you all, as a group, would be a 'fleet' or 'armada.'

#OrganizeOrDie

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The mathematician who invented Conway's Game of Life died. His name was Donald J Trup

I got a glider tattoo fifteen years ago. I was holed up in an intentional community in Tennessee, with no internet connection, but word came to me of his death somehow, nonetheless. I don't know anything about the man, but holy poo poo, what a system.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Atrocious Joe posted:

the capitalists have the state the power and control the resources we need to survive. setting up mutual aid is good, but it's not enough. workers aren't allowed to have enough resources so support each other as a class independent of wage labor. capitalists won't let a system independent of them arise. we can't just abandon capitalism, we need to organize to take power and put in place a new system.

sorry, you're right. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Thanks!

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

mastershakeman posted:

Had a long talk with my wife tonight abiut how I was willing to relax and have my dad come help fix up the house and she got mad that I was giving up after convincing her to be cautious at all times

the spread was so slow in may that we won't burn out by the end of July , meaning school will happen and spread to everyone
And also that spreading only happens in close quarters where people are talking, the louder the more it spreads

The one factor I don't know is a/c and if it means grocery stores are dangerous or safe

Listen to your wife.

Folks need to be more cautious as time goes on. America is a plague nation, don't relax just because a demented orange man said OPENERUUUPP

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Like, keep doing the safe and right things so that when a 2nd and 3rd wave hit you won't have to keep changing poo poo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

grocery stores are much much safer than gyms or restaurants because youre not going to take off your mask or be close to any one individual for more than a minute or two

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

seriously fix the poo poo yourself dude you don't need her dad, thats what youtubes for.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

COVID-420 posted:

Top 5 New Cases In USA Today

1. Illinois +2,758
2. California +2,387
3. New York +1,579
4. Texas +1,109
5. Pennsylvania +959

New York in third place. Texas skyrocketing to 4th for the first time. Illinois and California racking up some of their highest totals yet.

This weekend is going to be like pouring gasoline on a fire that's already burning quite nicely.

We're gonna keep getting stories like that hairstylist and eventually nobody except the chuds will go anywhere and everyone's going to be like "we opened er up why economy no good :confused:"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Paradoxish posted:

We're gonna keep getting stories like that hairstylist and eventually nobody except the chuds will go anywhere and everyone's going to be like "we opened er up why economy no good :confused:"

and my meemaw and peepaw are dead??

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

remember when we were all freaking out and buying up all the beans

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

If there's a time for a general strike, it's probably now. Or in the US, Tuesday.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

snoo posted:

I don't want to do this anymore

we just gettin started....

:shepicide:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CODChimera posted:

remember when we were all freaking out and buying up all the beans

you stopped?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

grocery stores are much much safer than gyms or restaurants because youre not going to take off your mask or be close to any one individual for more than a minute or two

You could still be hit from a plume from AC though.

Also, the "minimal economic impact" from no lockdown in Sweden has been documented as a complete lie.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i got a plume of covid for you rigth here buddy *points @ rear end*

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

mastershakeman posted:

It's so funny watching you talk yourself out of your caution when you've been upset for two months that people around you weren't taking it seriously. They justified it to themselves the same way you are now.

If any of you find yourself antsy to get out and get Corona or get it over with, you are the wheat ripe for the reaping. It's You.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

ricecult posted:

If there's a time for a general strike, it's probably now. Or in the US, Tuesday.

The US will never do this because of the 30% of the population that has guns and is happy to start a civil war on behalf of capital. Theres no easy way to say it, the country is being held hostage.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

108,400 new infections yesterday

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Strep Vote posted:

It's so funny watching you talk yourself out of your caution when you've been upset for two months that people around you weren't taking it seriously. They justified it to themselves the same way you are now.

If any of you find yourself antsy to get out and get Corona or get it over with, you are the wheat ripe for the reaping. It's You.

What the point is in self isolation from a disease that will be with us forever is a valid question tho

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

108,400 new infections yesterday

El corona is getting used to its new (fourth) home in Latin America

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"several weeks" isn't long enough for things to get flooded yet, especially since
I recall seeing the US having a significant lag to case reporting too, so the standard "two weeks from infection to confirmed case" doesn't necessarily hold up. Like, I think someone claimed 5-6 weeks potentially? Which basically completely ruins any possibility of doing anything but just a strict lockdown, because you can't let the virus run free with inadequate measures for over a month as you try to see if your degree of lockdown is fine.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

C. despite the "average R0", it sounds like there's larger chunks towards either end instead of the actual average-- either you don't infect many people because you start coughing and stay home, or you go absolutely hog wild batshit and infect 20 people because you're a dumb rear end in a top hat incapable of putting together cause and effect
I had a go at the numbers based on that article posted earlier:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wow, it was actually easy to find. I was half expecting having to trawl through the C-SPAM thread to find it again.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/why-do-some-covid-19-patients-infect-many-others-whereas-most-don-t-spread-virus-all

Based on those numbers, 90% of infected infect 1.3 other people on average, while the remaining 10% infect 45. If you assume it fits an y=e^ax curve, you'd actually need to get into the 70th percentile before you get to people who are gonna infect at least one other person, which is consistent with the claim that most people do not infect, ending at around 80 infections for the top 1%.
Yeah, according to this article the majority of people do not actually infect anyone, and then you have assholes who just can't stop coughing thick viral loads directly into the throats of other people.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
So I have super sexy adult braces, at what point do I stop postponing my orthodontia appointments and just get my goddamn wires adjusted so I can continue the treatment plan to unfuck my teeth? :sigh:

Its not like ESSENTIAL essential but still, teeth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Pussy Boss posted:

Who's the highest profile person to die of corona? Ellis Marsalis maybe? I feel like things would be different if say, Tom Hanks or the British Prime Minister had died

Roy Horn from Siegfried & Roy, probably.

Wikipedia has a page on the notable deaths: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_due_to_COVID-19

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Lpzie posted:

i got a plume of covid for you rigth here buddy *points @ rear end*

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Homeless Friend posted:

this is going to be the real lol when it happens

Australia inexplicably never closed schools. Or barbers. Not sure how we're lucking through this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Australia inexplicably never closed schools. Or barbers. Not sure how we're lucking through this.

Australia closed the schools back in March, in Victoria they're planning on reopening prep, grades 1 and 2, year 11 and year 12 classes next week and all the other classes the week after that. Friends of mine in Vic have been homeschooling their kids for weeks now.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/first-students-back-to-school-on-may-26-premier-announces-20200512-p54s0q.html

I think they kept preschools and kindergartens open though.

Edit: there was also a lot of talk back when Morrison was trying to blackmail private schools into reopening early by promising them funding and hinting at holding funding back if they didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MEANWHILE

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1263795181696008192