Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crowetron posted:

I started up Deus Ex now that SS2 is done, and I'm always amused by Paul giving me a big speech about minimizing casualties and preserving life and then handing me a giant rocket launcher.

Having finished up the first mission in Hell's Kitchen, I'm pretty sure I've taken more damage from ladders than anything else. SS2's ladders were a little more sticky and harder to blunder off of. I remember taking a lot of stupid falls off ladders in Half-Life back in the day, too. What's more dangerous: early polygonal ladders or Build engine doors?

The GEP gun isn’t a weapon it’s an instant lock pick that happens to explode on contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

The GEP gun isn’t a weapon it’s an instant lock pick that happens to explode on contact.

Please, it's a lock pick that doubles as a robot disabling device.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The GEP Gun is a hacking tool that hacks robots, computers, doors, and torsos with stunning efficiency.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

Not sure if this should go here, hah hah, as it isn't technically FPS anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqYmHN0CCgY

Ummm. . . okay? Looks impressive, but not very fun to play. I think Demonsteele realizes this concept better.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Turin Turambar posted:

Not sure if this should go here, hah hah, as it isn't technically FPS anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqYmHN0CCgY

Am I the only one who can't stand this camera angle? Things like Warframe and any other third person, over-the-shoulder deal makes me very aware that I'm playing a game, making me lose all immersion and gives me a splitting headache, too.

If the camera is an RPG or even RTS style directly behind your character and zoomed out thing, fine, I can work with that. I still prefer a good first person experience, so the more locked behind someone's trousers I'll be the faster I'll lose interest.

E:

I know it's to show off your character's model, and it genuinely makes it easier to see where you are in the middle of a melee, but eh. It does horrible things to my noggin and sense of being that character.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 23, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It looks to me like it's faked third-person perspective, and is in fact just a weapon HUD sprite shaped like a NuDoomguy.

I've seen that same trick used before other GZDoom mods.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Crowetron posted:

I started up Deus Ex now that SS2 is done, and I'm always amused by Paul giving me a big speech about minimizing casualties and preserving life and then handing me a giant rocket launcher.

From DOUG the Eagle's anti-walkthrough for Deus Ex:

Sunglasses at Night posted:

Start up and talk to Paul. He will offer you three choices of weapon - a tranquiliser, a sniper rifle and a GEP launcher.
Paul, being a very pacifistic killing machine, prefers the tranquiliser.
If you ask for the sniper rifle he becomes irritable and says that you can't just go round killing people.

The first two weapons we can easily get off the dead terrorists, so ask for the rocket launcher. Interestingly, Paul approves of this.. the idea that we are going to use it on people has obviously not entered into his darkest dream.

quote:

Having finished up the first mission in Hell's Kitchen, I'm pretty sure I've taken more damage from ladders than anything else. SS2's ladders were a little more sticky and harder to blunder off of. I remember taking a lot of stupid falls off ladders in Half-Life back in the day, too. What's more dangerous: early polygonal ladders or Build engine doors?

Definitely the latter. I actually find SS2 ladders worse and more fiddly than GoldSrc ones most of the time, but the worst I've gotten from either is a sprained ankle, while Build doors will just instantly erase you from existence.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

From experience? It kind of sucks to balance without a very symmetrical map. No idea why, though, given the same problem is not apparent in regular CTF.

Do you mean asymmetry? To be clear, one flag CTF is the game mode where defenders start in a base with their flag, and attackers start exterior of the map with vehicles trying to infiltrate and extract the flag. Zanzibar is a clear example of a one flag CTF map, where attackers work their way up the beach to the fortified base past the wheel. The balance is achieved through having alternating rounds, which also keeps it fun with regularly switching up offensive and defensive gameplay.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It always amuses me that he's the guy who made The Sky May Be and also some minor furry celebrity. Like it's just going "oh. that. THAT is how far down the well goes." (People would probably say that about me and my own choices, honestly!)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jehde posted:

Do you mean asymmetry? To be clear, one flag CTF is the game mode where defenders start in a base with their flag, and attackers start exterior of the map with vehicles trying to infiltrate and extract the flag.

There's another type of one-flag-CTF where there's a neutral flag in the middle of the map, and all factions fight to get it and bring it back to their own base.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

There's another type of one-flag-CTF where there's a neutral flag in the middle of the map, and all factions fight to get it and bring it back to their own base.

That's called Team Rabbit 2. :colbert:

Another game mode I wish were more common. :negative:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Isn't Team Rabbit more about holding the flag and less about capturing it?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Please, it's a lock pick that doubles as a robot disabling device.

The Kins posted:

The GEP Gun is a hacking tool that hacks robots, computers, doors, and torsos with stunning efficiency.
The GEP Gun takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate Manderley.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 23, 2020

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

Isn't Team Rabbit more about holding the flag and less about capturing it?

TR1 is. TR2 is more about making :krad: one-timer shots into the goal.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Pretty sure one flag CTF where the flag is neutral has been around since Quake.

The original Team Fortress has a variant called spazball where there was a neutral flag that you took to another teams base. There were 4 teams of 4. If you captured enough times the team was eliminated. Last team left won.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Plus there was Bombing Run in UT2004. I recall LORD OF BOOTY extolling its virtues earlier in the thread and on revisiting it (with bots admittedly), yeah it's still pretty darn fun.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think Bombing Run was in UT2003 as well. It was inspired by the Fragball mod for UT99, which dropped the weapons entirely (besides the impact hammer). It's hard to find info about UT99 mods tho, I wish Mod Squad on Beyond Unreal was still up.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Still playing UT99 twenty years later is sad because all the big central mod-hosting websites that you could find all sorts of cool stuff on back in 2004 or so all suddenly died around the same time. By 2012 pretty much nothing was left except ModDB.

ut-files made a valiant effort - they even had the first custom map I ever played on back in 2004, some conversion of Blood Gulch that I played on one time, got unhelpful replies about in the IRC when I asked what it was called, and never saw any hint that it so much as existed afterwards - but the actual download sections of that have been down for like a month now and there's barely any indication on their forum that anyone even realizes or cares that something is wrong.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's not the most reputable looking ]sites and urls, but you can find mirrors of utfiles if you poke around. I had similar troubles finding some stuff a few months back and made some bookmarks.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kadorhal posted:

Still playing UT99 twenty years later is sad because all the big central mod-hosting websites that you could find all sorts of cool stuff on back in 2004 or so all suddenly died around the same time. By 2012 pretty much nothing was left except ModDB.

ut-files made a valiant effort - they even had the first custom map I ever played on back in 2004, some conversion of Blood Gulch that I played on one time, got unhelpful replies about in the IRC when I asked what it was called, and never saw any hint that it so much as existed afterwards - but the actual download sections of that have been down for like a month now and there's barely any indication on their forum that anyone even realizes or cares that something is wrong.

A lot of that stuff was hosted on GameSpy sites wasn't it? Like PlanetUnreal/PlanetQuake/etc. Probably all died when GameSpy went under.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Jehde posted:

Do you mean asymmetry? To be clear, one flag CTF is the game mode where defenders start in a base with their flag, and attackers start exterior of the map with vehicles trying to infiltrate and extract the flag. Zanzibar is a clear example of a one flag CTF map, where attackers work their way up the beach to the fortified base past the wheel. The balance is achieved through having alternating rounds, which also keeps it fun with regularly switching up offensive and defensive gameplay.

Ah, right, I forgot Halo had that mode (because I usually remember the bomb offense/defense mode instead). No I was thinking of the neutral flag variant Quake had.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A lot of that stuff was hosted on GameSpy sites wasn't it? Like PlanetUnreal/PlanetQuake/etc. Probably all died when GameSpy went under.

http://www.mapraider.com/ is pretty much the only place I can think of that has a bunch of stuff still. mods on the other hand, not sure. I do believe that there's archives of SkinCity and other sites around, but not sure where to find those.

E: spoke too soon, Unreal Archive is a thing and has a massive amount of stuff. Not sure how extensive it is, but it's a good place to start!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 24, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Crypt of the Flesh. I was right: it sucks rear end.

Blasphemy is shaping up to be more fun.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm heartbroken that Beyondunreal hasn't had a post since 2016. I used to frag with Sir Brizz in UT2k4 ages ago.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, I'm playing through all of the Halo sp campaigns pretty blind with a buddy and we just finished the Library and holy christ, I hope to hell that the series gets better than this because WOW was every bit of that bullshit filled with bad game design.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

So, I'm playing through all of the Halo sp campaigns pretty blind with a buddy and we just finished the Library and holy christ, I hope to hell that the series gets better than this because WOW was every bit of that bullshit filled with bad game design.

The Library is notorious for being the worst part of the entire series so yes it does get better.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Deakul posted:

I always wondered if I should see what this Halo game is all about, and so I thank you for your selfless sacrifice, sir.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Serephina posted:

I always wondered if I should see what this Halo game is all about, and so I thank you for your selfless sacrifice, sir.

:tipshat:

I always wanted to check out the series to see what the fuss was all about and it's mostly been fun, it has great shooting and the AI is a blast to fight but the level design is really rough at times and this last level I played was enough to make me ask if I should even keep going cause drat, disgustingly copy and pasted level design and endless swarms of various zombie enemies that can shoot at you(SOMETIMES WITH loving ROCKETS?!?!?!) as well as swarm you from EVERY loving direction RELENTLESSLY. Thank christ they got generous with ammo as you went on but woof was that not fun.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm weird in that I don't actually mind The Library that much - but make no mistake, it is the weakest part of the entire campaign, and the entire series is basically up from there (so long as Bungie's at the helm anyway). Strictly speaking the following levels are ones you've already played done backwards, but they mix in enough new encounters, new situations and the occasional new room that you likely aren't gonna mind it too much (specifics spoilered JIC you really wanna go into these fresh: Two Betrayals is a bit bland in that it largely really is just Assault on the Control Room but backwards, but Keyes has a lengthy outdoor segment that's little like the one in Truth and Reconciliation, and The Maw feels wildly different from Pillar of Autumn despite sharing a lot of geometry).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Halo was like the last bastion of giant battlefield shooters. I would replay the beach assault in the first game and the city fight in the second so so much because no other shooter really did that. Even open world shooters shove you into tiny levels you just happen to be able to walk away and no one follows.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Library in Halo is a slog, but imo, the good kind of slog, you know? It's thematic, at least. You are playing against a unending zombie horde, trying to survive while getting out of there, so it really gets you in the correct mind space. It wouldn't worked as well if it would have been a 5 minute set piece.

I started playing Halo 2 right now, and it's funny how old games have slower load times than newer games, even with NVME SSD. I guess the total lack of streaming and the lack of multithread use on the loading makes it so slow.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I spent the past two weeks-ish doing a thing. I've talked about it in the Discord a bit, but it's finally ready for prime time, and I'm filled with a certain sort of nervousness not knowing where it'll land on the spectrum between "people love it," "people hate it" and "people don't realize it exists."

e: That thing, to be less vague, is 33 tracks worth of OGG Vorbis format music that's freely licensed for anyone to use in Doom-related projects. If you're making a project for GZDoom or any other port that has OGG support, feel free to have at it and strip-mine it for anything you like.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 24, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

So I spent the past two weeks-ish doing a thing. I've talked about it in the Discord a bit, but it's finally ready for prime time, and I'm filled with a certain sort of nervousness not knowing where it'll land on the spectrum between "people love it," "people hate it" and "people don't realize it exists."

e: That thing, to be less vague, is 33 tracks worth of OGG Vorbis format music that's freely licensed for anyone to use in Doom-related projects. If you're making a project for GZDoom or any other port that has OGG support, feel free to have at it and strip-mine it for anything you like.

Good job, that sounds pretty good to me!

You also should throw around the link into the Doomworld forums.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Turin Turambar posted:

Good job, that sounds pretty good to me!

You also should throw around the link into the Doomworld forums.

I'll do that in the morning if nobody beats me to it! For now, I need sleep, though.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

great fuckin work man, shits terrific

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

this owns

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Dope as gently caress!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

This is really cool! I’m not a mapper so I don’t really have a use for these but I will say that I actually prefer when wads use MIDI and it would be super cool if these were available both ways (if that’s even possible).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Eyud posted:

This is really cool! I’m not a mapper so I don’t really have a use for these but I will say that I actually prefer when wads use MIDI and it would be super cool if these were available both ways (if that’s even possible).

To put it bluntly, it would have been possible if I'd composed both versions from the outset, but I didn't do that, and converting non-MIDI tracks to MIDI is... an inexact science that generally leads to really janky-sounding results unless you painstakingly do it by hand. I might do a pack that's specifically MIDI music in the future (or one that's available both ways a la the SIGIL soundtrack) if I can wrap my head around Sekaiju, but for now, these three have gotta remain in recorded-music form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
SmoothBlood