Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your favorite faction?
Die Mechaniker
Imperial Balkania
Khan Industries
Saharan Republic
Enclave of the Bear
View Results

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Ah man I was happy to see the Bear lunge but it turned out to be not quite aggressive enough. That's okay, Bears, your day will come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Nice to see a two turn victory!

With the turn order randomness and the fact that the reinforcements show up earlier for those who act earlier, the game seems very swing-y. That in turn, should encourage fast gameplay.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Nice to see a two turn victory!

With the turn order randomness and the fact that the reinforcements show up earlier for those who act earlier, the game seems very swing-y. That in turn, should encourage fast gameplay.
So far as Dr. Snark was running things, reinforcements were actually simultaneous and processed before turn 2 itself. It's technically a houserule but very much a necessary one. If not for it turn orders would need way too many contingencies based on what territories a player hasn't lost and or what population/continent bonuses they temporarily have.

Also, drat did DM get results with that lucky lunge. Congratulations to MagusOfStars!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

NGDBSS posted:

So far as Dr. Snark was running things, reinforcements were actually simultaneous and processed before turn 2 itself. It's technically a houserule but very much a necessary one. If not for it turn orders would need way too many contingencies based on what territories a player hasn't lost and or what population/continent bonuses they temporarily have.

Also, drat did DM get results with that lucky lunge. Congratulations to MagusOfStars!

Plus it's honestly kind of unfair from a gameplay perspective - see Balkania, who would have probably wiped out the Saharans with those reinforcements. I honestly don't know why "simultaneous reinforcements" isn't an official rule, because that just makes more sense in terms of gameplay and strategy.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Without simultaneous reinforcements, Balkania has a decent shot at the win. Drop all 10 troops into western or central Europe, invade West Africa, then take a shot at both HQs.

Risky, especially because DM has a fortified HQ, but ultimately it'd have been 11 troops to conquer 3 territories and 8 troops. I don't know the loss ratio against fortified HQs but it had to have at least a 33% chance.

E: by the way, is Empress-general Blix a reference to something?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Omobono posted:

Without simultaneous reinforcements, Balkania has a decent shot at the win. Drop all 10 troops into western or central Europe, invade West Africa, then take a shot at both HQs.

Risky, especially because DM has a fortified HQ, but ultimately it'd have been 11 troops to conquer 3 territories and 8 troops. I don't know the loss ratio against fortified HQs but it had to have at least a 33% chance.

A fortified HQ is a huge bonus defensively. Someone did the odds for 3v2 matchups (ie, doomstack vs. doomstack) and found that it changed things from slightly favoring the attacker to giving the defender a 2:1 kill ratio. Which is about what I figured would be necessary in the first place. Minor spoilers there maybe? Basically, if you want to assault DM make absolutely sure you've got excess troops and/or an attack bonus to counter them.

As for Empress-General Blix? The character concept is based on the relationship of Moebius and the Elder God from the Legacy of Kain games. The first game ended quicker than the expected character arc, but eh I can always bluster about in the background. The character design is just me throwing together screenshots from (lightly modded) Code Vein, aka Anime Vampire Dark Souls. The dress-up simulator doesn't do age or pants for ladies well but otherwise it's pretty robust.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Omobono posted:

I think without simultaneous reinforcements, they'd want to place about half in the south and about half in Iceland, and try to take both Sahara and the Bears' HQs. That would probably work out to be a bit easier than trying to take Sahara and the fortified DM.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Ah, I didn't notice that. Simultaneous reinforcements is a good ruling.

Were reinforcements placed one by one (to allow reacting to others' placements)? Or did everyone do a silent reveal?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I told you reports of a balkanian victory were exaggerated

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Die Mech Council of Wizards used our magical prowess to conquer these pitiful opponents and eliminate the useless fleshlings. Our success is not surprising, as we had used our magic to calculate the outcomes of all possible scenarios and prepared innumerable conditional plans to ensure our dominance, no matter what happens. The Radio DJ's and the Bears both thought they were allies of us, undoubtedly due to our magic-fueled diplomatic efforts. Once we conquered the pitiful ursines and the foolish Radio DJ's and sacrificed their strongest warriors at our altar of blood, the distant remnants of Khan Industries and the so-called 'Empire' of Balkania fell quickly under the sway of our holy rituals. We have allowed pitiful remains of each of these so-called factions to remain, to ensure the continued availability of blood sacrifices. Construction has commenced on a city-sized ossuary in Brazil named Sacrificia, with walls of blood and bone, as a permanent reminder of what happens to those who oppose Die Mechaniker.

The Reign of Blood has commenced. We are the sufficiently advanced magic which shall dominate this world forever.

Top: Construction of Sacrificia / Bottom: Close-up of Sacrificia's walls

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That is so loving metal.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Welp. that's Legacy.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Ah, I didn't notice that. Simultaneous reinforcements is a good ruling.

Were reinforcements placed one by one (to allow reacting to others' placements)? Or did everyone do a silent reveal?

Silent reveal.

Edit: Also while I'm here, we do need people to step up for the next round! I've already gotten a couple of applications sent in, but we do need more!

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 24, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also if you want to help a player/faction strategerize, get in the Discord.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

quote:

The short lived Solar War is a typical example of Gnomish oddity. However bizarre we find the notion of waging a war of conquest so that your leader can finish his bladeless beard trimmer, the gnomes thought it was perfectly sensible. Not only did they willingly fight and die for this cause, they did so with the zeal of a crusade. Nowhere is this more clearly seen than in the most daring operation of the war, an at-all-costs lunge from one end of the Eurasian continental mass to the other. The defending Balkanian forces, who had left the gnomes entirely out of consideration while focusing on their African rivals, were decisively crushed by the first waves. This is all the more remarkable because of the cobbled-together nature of the Gnomish war machine. The vanguard of the force was composed of flamethrower-armed walking leviathans leased from the Decorator's guild, who used them to dry paint more rapidly, while the infantry support consisted entirely of carpenters who usually use their long-ranged nail guns to assemble buildings from the comfort of their guild halls. The weakness of these absurd notions allowed the Balkanians to easily blunt the drive after the initial impact, although even there we see evidence of Gnomish zeal. Many Balkanian units engaging out-of-supply Gnomish units report an apallingly high rate of below-the-knee amputations, as the defiant gnomes quite literally resorted gnawing off any leg they could reach in order to hurt the foe.

For those that wonder what my plan was, I did not think a victory at that point was practically achievable for anyone, and sought to cripple my nearest rival who had left a careless weak point. Siam was strong enough to withstand just about any effect, so the core of my power base was secure. This made the lunge into Europe a risk I was willing to take.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For anyone who didn't figure out the reference in the Big Bear's name:

Nanook-One-Mike-Hotel -> N1MH -> NIMH (as in The Secret Of)

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

WWI Board Modifications:

-MagusofStars has created the Large City "Sacrificia" in Brazil! Future holders of Magus' Legacy will be able to start in Sacrificia!
-Gnoman has created the Small City "Gnowhere" in Southeast Asia/Siam!
-NGBDSS has created the Small City "Plokamia" (TL: Tentacle) in Southern Europe!
-Xelkevos has created the Small City "Medvedgrad" (TL: Bear City) in Kamchatka!
-DoubleMayCare has created the Small City "Antenna Town" in Egypt!

Also unmentioned previously, Risk Legacy game boards come with this little signature box that I had the first round of players set up signatures for:

And after submitting some digital signatures:

this was the result:

expertly recreated by a steady hand skilled at copying digital signatures you cant get higher quality than that i tell you :v:

Thread Highlights:

DLord posted:

Within the hidden bunker

Well and I thought I like to get a head to mess things up for others. This blows me out of race.

Hardly had any time to try to get some glory in the game of the houses. Still thanks for the heads up to get myself out of there in time.

Beep, statement of accepting gratitude.

Still, not much strengthening of our positions could be possible in this short time. Let alone coming up with a name.

Oh bother, this really isn't helping me look more impressive.

Double May Care posted:

Alright, I don't have a lot of time. There's a robot wizard at the door pointing their staff at me so regroup wherever you can and lay low. This is not a bit. I repeat, THIS IS NOT A BIT!

MagusofStars posted:

The Die Mech Council of Wizards used our magical prowess to conquer these pitiful opponents and eliminate the useless fleshlings. Our success is not surprising, as we had used our magic to calculate the outcomes of all possible scenarios and prepared innumerable conditional plans to ensure our dominance, no matter what happens. The Radio DJ's and the Bears both thought they were allies of us, undoubtedly due to our magic-fueled diplomatic efforts. Once we conquered the pitiful ursines and the foolish Radio DJ's and sacrificed their strongest warriors at our altar of blood, the distant remnants of Khan Industries and the so-called 'Empire' of Balkania fell quickly under the sway of our holy rituals. We have allowed pitiful remains of each of these so-called factions to remain, to ensure the continued availability of blood sacrifices. Construction has commenced on a city-sized ossuary in Brazil named Sacrificia, with walls of blood and bone, as a permanent reminder of what happens to those who oppose Die Mechaniker.

The Reign of Blood has commenced. We are the sufficiently advanced magic which shall dominate this world forever.

Top: Construction of Sacrificia / Bottom: Close-up of Sacrificia's walls

Gnoman posted:

The short lived Solar War is a typical example of Gnomish oddity. However bizarre we find the notion of waging a war of conquest so that your leader can finish his bladeless beard trimmer, the gnomes thought it was perfectly sensible. Not only did they willingly fight and die for this cause, they did so with the zeal of a crusade. Nowhere is this more clearly seen than in the most daring operation of the war, an at-all-costs lunge from one end of the Eurasian continental mass to the other. The defending Balkanian forces, who had left the gnomes entirely out of consideration while focusing on their African rivals, were decisively crushed by the first waves. This is all the more remarkable because of the cobbled-together nature of the Gnomish war machine. The vanguard of the force was composed of flamethrower-armed walking leviathans leased from the Decorator's guild, who used them to dry paint more rapidly, while the infantry support consisted entirely of carpenters who usually use their long-ranged nail guns to assemble buildings from the comfort of their guild halls. The weakness of these absurd notions allowed the Balkanians to easily blunt the drive after the initial impact, although even there we see evidence of Gnomish zeal. Many Balkanian units engaging out-of-supply Gnomish units report an apallingly high rate of below-the-knee amputations, as the defiant gnomes quite literally resorted gnawing off any leg they could reach in order to hurt the foe.

Anyway, with that aside:

New Commanders Requested!

We need a new roster of people for the next round! So far Akratic Method (no faction specified), bunnyofdoom (Saharans), and Namtab and grandalt (Balkania) have put in their requests for the next game, but we could use more people! Even if you don't get in this round, a backlog of future players would certainly be appreciated! Don't hesitate to sign up and get the chance to do terrible things to the game board!

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 25, 2020

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh sorry just to clarify i wanted to play as balkania, so if grandalt is ahead of me in the queue im happy to wait until game 3

E: unless recruitment is really slow in which case i'll be the former balkanian emperor in another nation (the robots) to speed things up. Your choice.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 25, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Make me the bears!

And do I need to send Lowtax some spine money for PMs or is email fine?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I get that major cities can be the starting location of only a particular faction, and are costlier to take over... but I don't fully understand minor cities. What's their deal?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Iunnrais posted:

I get that major cities can be the starting location of only a particular faction, and are costlier to take over... but I don't fully understand minor cities. What's their deal?

Cities are harder to take over. Major cities cost two armies to take (so you have to send a minimum of three armies and lose two of them) and minor cities cost one army (so you need two armies minimum and lose one).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Minor cities count as one extra population and major cities count as two extra population, in addition to the standard 1 population each territory has.
You get 1 reinforcement for every 3 population you control, round down, plus continent bonuses; you always get a minimum of 3 reinforcements from population, even if you controll less than 9 population points.

The world capital (not currently available, but it's mentioned in the rules) counts as 5 population.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

OddHaberdasher posted:

Cities are harder to take over. Major cities cost two armies to take (so you have to send a minimum of three armies and lose two of them) and minor cities cost one army (so you need two armies minimum and lose one).

That's only if you move into them when they're unoccupied though. If someone else has a city and you conquer that territory, you only have to pay whatever units you lost to normal combat.

EDIT: removed spoilers, sorry! But yeah, cities gain more relevance as the game goes on.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 25, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You can sign me up for any nation as well though I prefer Not Bears

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whenever a new territory card is revealed, *stuff happens*

I think this is inside a sealed envelope right now? You might want to check and remove.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 25, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

I think this is inside a sealed envelope right now? You might want to check and remove.

Crap, sorry. Thanks for the catch. I've removed the spoilers from my prior post.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Make me the bears!

And do I need to send Lowtax some spine money for PMs or is email fine?

Neither, that's why I created a Discord to make life easier:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You also can't start on a scar territory unless your player/legacy founded the major city on it. So Gnowhere stops all future players from playing in SE Asia, which is usually one of the better starting areas. I approve of putting a minor city here, because it will make the games more interesting----it'll make it somewhat harder to break both into and out of Australia, and if you want to put a base right on the border, you can only do it from the Aussie side now.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dr. Snark posted:

Neither, that's why I created a Discord to make life easier:

Perfect! I'm on the channel; changed my nick to match my name on here.

Veryslightlymad posted:

You also can't start on a scar territory unless your player/legacy founded the major city on it.

For the record: the start rules, in order of precedence (a rule overrides any rule later on the list)
1) You can't start next to someone else.
2) You can start on a major (2) city you placed.
3) You can't start anywhere with a sticker.

And yeah, I am 100% down for game-end moves that mess up the obvious or usual Risk plays. I also like to put a scar to make defense harder at the entrance to Australia, and maybe somewhere in South America, the other pretty easy continent to grab and defend.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Journal of Sir Grandalt Nodington

Things are dire here, while the attack on the Saharans was a success, the blood spilt seems to be have exactly what the machines wanted. Their horrible circles are everywhere; we have barely managed to escape them with our lives. Even worse, the last message from Empress-Genera Blix tells that the capital has fallen and the western front collapsed. In weight of these events and following her order, we have begun work on a city named Plokamia. Hopefully this will allow to us to survive the dreaded machines magiks.

-----

Also it seems like scars might be out of play for the next game, as I don't think there is enough for all the players.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

grandalt posted:

Also it seems like scars might be out of play for the next game, as I don't think there is enough for all the players.

3 ammo shortages, 3 bunkers, minus one that got used, 5 players.
There should be exactly enough unless I missed something.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
One thing I don't get is how ammo shortage scars work in the story. Like, someone puts a sticker on Germany, and suddenly everyone drops the ammunition when they cross the border?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

OddHaberdasher posted:

One thing I don't get is how ammo shortage scars work in the story. Like, someone puts a sticker on Germany, and suddenly everyone drops the ammunition when they cross the border?

At this scale, it's not about the ammo that the troops are actually loading in their guns, but the supply lines that keep them able to do so. Presumably ammo shortage regions make maintaining those supply lines difficult.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
5 pages in and we're already on WW2? That was fast.

I remember lurking SA during the original Risk Legacy; in fact it was that that made me buy an account to read up when the paywall was over LP. Looking forward to seeing Imperial Balkania rise once more, hopefully.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Everyone needs to hurry up and :getin: so game 2 can start

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

malkav11 posted:

At this scale, it's not about the ammo that the troops are actually loading in their guns, but the supply lines that keep them able to do so. Presumably ammo shortage regions make maintaining those supply lines difficult.

Yes but, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't scars, including ammo shortages, permanent? I can understand things like bunkers and cities staying from the beginning to the end, but you'd think someone would go ahead and fix whatever problem is causing such large supply problems.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

OddHaberdasher posted:

Yes but, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't scars, including ammo shortages, permanent? I can understand things like bunkers and cities staying from the beginning to the end, but you'd think someone would go ahead and fix whatever problem is causing such large supply problems.

I can safely say that both A) you're thinking about this way too hard and B) said shortage would probably be due to something ridiculous like a curse of entropy or hostile terraforming or something similar.

You can cancel scars if you win a game, so that would reflect the powers in control deciding to roll up their sleeves and actually deal with the problem.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm throwing my hat in the ring for the Khans when they're next available.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

OddHaberdasher posted:

ha ha ha thinking that people would actually fix problems :negative:

More relevantly, maybe everyone likes it being hard to defend a territory. The locals have a longstanding tradition of sabotaging defenders, because a) the newly-victorious forces are always happy to buy lots of celebratory whatevers, and b) they're working on collecting a complete set of cultural heritages. The ultimate goal is to have some kind of medal or official letter of thanks from the leader of every single faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Just to let you guys know that we still need a minimum of 2 commanders to kick off the next game! Don't be afraid to sign up, there are plenty of people in the Discord willing to help with faction ideas and strategizing!