Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

codo27 posted:

My dad's a fisherman. His dad was. I grew up by the water and still live here, grew up catching fish off the wharf.

gently caress fishing in video games. I will never have time for that poo poo

I spent like an hour today trying to get a radar and chisel out of the oasis and got neither. This was with luck boosting effects, master bait, a golden rod, and all the fishing potions :regd09:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

John Lee posted:

As of 1.4, if you have the Angler rewards in your inventory, he won't give you any dupes until you have all of them.

Think that's only for the cell phone stuff. I've got multiple gold nets and fishing line rewards while they were in my inventory.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

http://terragoons.website now supports multiple goon servers! If you want to get yours on there, let me know. I just need to be able to routinely pull the world file somehow.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I spent like an hour today trying to get a radar and chisel out of the oasis and got neither. This was with luck boosting effects, master bait, a golden rod, and all the fishing potions :regd09:

My 1.4 run has been my only one where I've really interacted with the fishing system and yeah it'll definitely be my last.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Internet Kraken posted:

are you uh, using a sonar potion appropriately

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

codo27 posted:

My dad's a fisherman. His dad was. I grew up by the water and still live here, grew up catching fish off the wharf.

gently caress fishing in video games. I will never have time for that poo poo

I'm very glad Terraria doesn't need you to click the bobber just click after the sound.

I'm trying to get my Magic Conch from oasis crates but haven't had much luck.

Fishing related: Gave Dreadnautilus a go, pretty neat fight, disappointing lack of rewards but still happy he exists.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Verviticus posted:

are you uh, using a sonar potion appropriately

Yes

Oasis crates barely spawn, and out of like the 80 wooden crates I fished up none had the radar.

Gobblecoque posted:

My 1.4 run has been my only one where I've really interacted with the fishing system and yeah it'll definitely be my last.

Its not bad honestly, I do wish it was more interactive but its serviceable. Doing it a ton trying to grind out low drop rate items from crates is miserable though. Technically it solves the problem of items not generating in your world by making them all infinite but in practice you're barely ever going to get what you specifically need from fishing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Fishing is both boring and the chance to get the angler quest stuff is waaaay too low.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nightwisher posted:

I'm too lazy to build settlements for pylons yet so everyone lives here and hate each other.

this looks awesome, what do you mean by hate eahcother?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have embarked on a Journey Mode quest to research every item in the game. It's largely tedious, but so far the worst thing has been the blood moon fishing. It took me close to an hour and a half to get the Advanced Combat Techniques book, and I still have to go at it for a while to get banners for the blood fishing mobs.

Conversely, setting up an underground village, planting a bunch of gemcorns, and then cranking the spawn rate to x10 to get all the gem critters was fun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

this looks awesome, what do you mean by hate eahcother?

NPCs don't like living in one big house anymore. They prefer little cottages.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh thats kind of lame, its fun to build big complexes. i just fired up the game after years of not touching it.

a lot has changed i can already tell. does the crafting menu ever get easier to use, seems like itll get more cumbersome the more materials i acquire.

first couple nights were star showers, made myself a bunch of magic potions. buncha slimes on freakin balloons swarming around and heckloads of zombies and eyeballs and flying fish at night. is this normal;? im playing on just classic mode.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes.

There's a button to turn the crafting menu into a grid so you can find what you're looking for.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sweet. and i just found a statue of an old man with three horns. i assume im going to kill myself by attacking this but here goes nothin

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Khanstant posted:

sweet. and i just found a statue of an old man with three horns. i assume im going to kill myself by attacking this but here goes nothin

I wasn't sure what thread I clicked on when I read this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well i got a new statue, and found a treasure chest next to more statues. the chest had some bottle with a cloud in it? i was murdered by crawdads while trying to read it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finally finished my first project in this run, a house for the Dryad combined with my alchemy area.

Had an idea to give everyone 'terrarium' homes. Takes a lot of work to set up but I like how they come out. Doing enough for all the NPCs is gonna be a real daunting task though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Khanstant posted:

Well i got a new statue, and found a treasure chest next to more statues. the chest had some bottle with a cloud in it? i was murdered by crawdads while trying to read it

Cloud in a Bottle is a double-jump accessories.

There are several other "x in a bottle" double jump accessories, and they stack. You can eventually get the Bundle of Balloons which is the best mobility accessory you can get before wings are obtainable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Finally finished my first project in this run, a house for the Dryad combined with my alchemy area.

Had an idea to give everyone 'terrarium' homes. Takes a lot of work to set up but I like how they come out. Doing enough for all the NPCs is gonna be a real daunting task though.

that looks so dope.

another game question: is it okay to increase my health and mana, or is that making the game harder or punishing me in some way? i can't remember w hat game had difficulty gated behind using upgrades

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Khanstant posted:

that looks so dope.

another game question: is it okay to increase my health and mana, or is that making the game harder or punishing me in some way? i can't remember w hat game had difficulty gated behind using upgrades

The Eye of Cthulhu can start randomly spawning at nightfall if you have at least 200 health and some amount of defense (and haven't already defeated it at least once), so you might not want to go above 180 until you're confident you can win that fight, but other than that, not much reason not to use every life crystal you find ASAP. Increasing your mana has no possible negatives.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Khanstant posted:

that looks so dope.

increasing your health won’t make things difficult in a direct way but there are some random events that won’t happen if you have less than a certain amount of health

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Khanstant posted:

that looks so dope.

Ugrading your health will bring in the nurse and cause the Eye of Cthulhu to want a fight. If you're not ready yet, you can dodge the fight by just going underground when you see the message "you feel an evil presence watching you", waiting for the day to rise again before going back to the surface: the Eye only fights at night on the surface. Once the Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated once, it won't ever come back on its own, so any further fights will have to be by summoning it. Specifically the conditions for the EOC are 200 health and three town NPCs. The nurse only needs 120 health to come. So you can wait around at 180 health for a bit if you want to delay the Eye fight.

Defeating the Eye will bring in the Dryad (if you haven't her already from defeating another, tougher boss) but that's all. No extra monster spawns.

200 health will also allow a Goblin Army to come, if you've broken Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts. And 160 health is enough to cause a Slime Rain event to occur spontaneously, which causes a lot of slimes to be around until you defeat King Slime. So you can stay at 140 health if you don't want to deal with King Slime yet.

The things that will make the game harder are:
  • Defeating the Wall of Flesh: brings the game into Hardmode
  • Defeating Plantera: makes the dungeon spawn tougher enemies

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 24, 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also killing the dudes in front of the post-Plantera dungeon, who are non-hostile.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thank y'all. Got me some nice gold tools now and had a Blood Moon. So far just a bunch of eyeball and zombie punks, plus some new kind of eyeball goobers.

One last kind of general progression question, last time I played this I remember there was some mechanic where if I didn't rush out and like, build some kind four tile barrier or whatever, my world would get overrun with monster-spawning bullshit. you know im wasting a lot of time looking around crafting menus and building little things here and there, is that okay or will my little world turn to rot if i dont go tend to its evils now

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Khanstant posted:

One last kind of general progression question, last time I played this I remember there was some mechanic where if I didn't rush out and like, build some kind four tile barrier or whatever, my world would get overrun with monster-spawning bullshit.

That happens when you defeat the Wall of Flesh, you're good until you do that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is journey mode research character based? Because maybe we could have a vault map with everything in it so I can drop in and copy things I can't get without grinding a lot/starting new worlds.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is journey mode research character based? Because maybe we could have a vault map with everything in it so I can drop in and copy things I can't get without grinding a lot/starting new worlds.
Research is character based, handy enough, making "Spit things out into a treasure chest for a character in need" easier than ever in that way. It's the bestiary that is world based. Though I have no idea how the bestiary works when it comes to multiplayer.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 24, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Khanstant posted:

Thank y'all. Got me some nice gold tools now and had a Blood Moon. So far just a bunch of eyeball and zombie punks, plus some new kind of eyeball goobers.

One last kind of general progression question, last time I played this I remember there was some mechanic where if I didn't rush out and like, build some kind four tile barrier or whatever, my world would get overrun with monster-spawning bullshit. you know im wasting a lot of time looking around crafting menus and building little things here and there, is that okay or will my little world turn to rot if i dont go tend to its evils now

Nope, a couple pages ago there was discussion about how this is a big misconception. Evil spreading in the world is not powerful enough to matter or get very far. The only time it does matter is immediately after beating Wall of Flesh when some of your surface land gets converted in random strips.

There are a whole lot of features that make inventory easier, most of all playing in Journey mode and using item duplication instead of worrying about storing mass amounts of stuff. Also make sure you read up on piggy banks, safes, money troughs, and void bags (in increasing order of how great they are) as ways of dealing with excess items.

I envy you. You're so green at this, you're going to have so much fun

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The Lone Badger posted:

There's a button to turn the crafting menu into a grid so you can find what you're looking for.

oh my god

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes.

What

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'm playing on Journey mode and from the chat I'm mighty tempted to disable Corruption Spread in the menu because it kind of sounds like a pain in the rear end. Do I lose out on something if I do that?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Corrupt ice and corrupt desert biomes are kind of nice for farming several monster types at once. Would you still get those at all? You need at least a decent amount of underground corruption to farm in because those drops are so important.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Corrupt ice and corrupt desert biomes are kind of nice for farming several monster types at once. Would you still get those at all? You need at least a decent amount of underground corruption to farm in because those drops are so important.

The initial burst of corruption/hallow on hitting hardmode would probably give more than enough space to grind in. Worst case scenario you could probably just grab the Clentaminator and manually spread the biomes around.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I've never done anything about corruption and never had a problem with it. And in the case that it really affects you once the random corruption strip appears you should have more than enough gold after killing the first mechanical boss to buy the Clentaminator and clean or add corruption anywhere you want.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wish that window was default instead of the extra click

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Do the various biome-specific pylons added in 1.4 also work in the underground variants of said biomes? Or is the 'underground' pylon the only one usable down there? That would be a shame, because I tend to put most of my settlements below the surface.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gimmick Account posted:

Do the various biome-specific pylons added in 1.4 also work in the underground variants of said biomes? Or is the 'underground' pylon the only one usable down there? That would be a shame, because I tend to put most of my settlements below the surface.

I think the forest one is the only surface-required one and I think the underground one cannot be any other biome, so like so like underground hallow desert could get the hallow one or the desert one but not the underground one.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the forest one is the only surface-required one and I think the underground one cannot be any other biome, so like so like underground hallow desert could get the hallow one or the desert one but not the underground one.

Perfect! That expands my options greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
By the way, the Extendo Grip (and its crafting combo, the Architect Gizmo Pack) also increase the range of pylon access. It's such an amazingly versatile accessory... if the traveling merchant shows up with it early in a world, I will sell everything I have to get it. It also allows walling enemies in from behind a wall for easy dispatching...

If I can get it, my 6th master mode accessory slot is basically dedicated to it forever.

Also working on a massive cavern mob farm. Planning to extend it east to the snow biome too. Should help with some hardmode stuff too if the stripes hit it.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 24, 2020