Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/1264338572309680129?s=19

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1264560761550094338?s=20

lol

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

stev posted:

It's all framing. It's the "would you rather save 60% or allow 40% to die" issue. Our brains are hard wired to reject anything portrayed in a negative or incomplete light.

There are studies that show people will drive across a city to save 5$ on a twenty dollar purchase while simultaneously thinking they are getting ripped off if they 'only' get 5$ a 500$ purchase.

People are just illogical as gently caress in general

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Perfect one in the replies

https://twitter.com/drivelcast/status/1264563483414269953?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Earlier

https://twitter.com/samholdertv/status/1264529136741240834

Replies are a hoot.
Gammons being outraged for them doing this to poor Dom.
THERE IS A CHILD INSIDE HOW DARE YOU!
ITS A SUNDAY NO ONE WANTS TO LISTEN TO THIS!

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Necrothatcher posted:

Same reason people get mad at people queue jumping. He's breaking the rules, this cannot stand. I want to speak to the manager etc.
saved by the Karen?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Eararaldor posted:

saved by the Karen?

More likely the opposite, this will be the trigger that causes people to go 'well if he can break the rules, why can't I' even more than they already are.

If they had some critical thinking faculties, maybe, but if that was the case we wouldn't be in this loving mess in the first place.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the complete arsehole 2 doors down from me, who shouts at his two 4ish year old kids every day so loudly and aggressively that I can hear it indoors, and who has had his mother in law around every day throughout lockdown, is currently having a full on kids birthday party with probably a dozen people and children mingling in the garden. I hate that I care enough about the lives of strangers to feel anything about this, but it is people like this oval office who are going to cause a second wave.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Same reason people get mad at people queue jumping. He's breaking the rules, this cannot stand. I want to speak to the manager etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zxAo1ImIg

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

So the complete arsehole 2 doors down from me, who shouts at his two 4ish year old kids every day so loudly and aggressively that I can hear it indoors, and who has had his mother in law around every day throughout lockdown, is currently having a full on kids birthday party with probably a dozen people and children mingling in the garden. I hate that I care enough about the lives of strangers to feel anything about this, but it is people like this oval office who are going to cause a second wave.

Call the Plod?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

thespaceinvader posted:

How is it THIS that makes the comfortable middle class types rage?

Not the highest homeless population in living memory, not bombs we made murdering innocent children, not the Tories murdering innocent disabled people, not all the injustices against immigrants and workers, not the mere existence of billionaires, not decades of institutionalised racism in the police and child abuse in the upper echelons of power but... one dude breaking the rules?

Why is it this that gets peoples' goat?

It's a lot easier to get at one person objectively doing something against the rules than it is a group of people acting in a way that causes more suffering and less fairness than could otherwise have been possible.

One villain is a good target, even if society is the greater monster.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Z the IVth posted:

Call the Plod?

It's not a crime to care about your kid's birthday. Not sure what the police could possibly do.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not gonna call the police on a kids birthday party, and I don't even know if breaking lockdown rules is a criminal offence. I'm just kinda astounded by the ridiculous selfishness.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1264571893492965376

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

If he was married to Dom this would be so much easier for him.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The telegraph had some vid of journos "questioning" Dominic and it was like a swarm of unmasked flies on poo poo, crowding around a maskless guy who is confirmed to have had it

loving disgusting, the journalists aren't taking this remotely loving seriously either and it made them look extremely hypocritical even to a person who hates cumming

The lockdown is gonna completely come to pieces as a casualty of this...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gort posted:

I wonder what the actual game being played here is. I don't believe for a second that the oligarchs who own the newspapers give a solitary poo poo about one of the oligarchs in the government breaking the rules.

There is two reasons for this. Convenience and newspapers need money.

Cummings has powerful allies, but not powerful friends. That means while people will go to bat for him, if push comes to shove people won't sacrifice their careers for him if there is compelling evidence. And this scandal has compelling evidence.

The second reason is cold hard cash. Newspapers are bleeding money due to the lockdown. And this scandal is perfect newspaper fodder.

Years ago I worked for a Tabloid. An editor in chief from the UK branch explained their business model around the World Cup.

"Basically, every World Cup, it is my job to get the English football manager fired.
Why?
Because England Win the World Cup is a story.
It's a good story and it sells Newspapers. But for one day.

But England lose the World Cup? That's a better story. Because it sells Newspapers for days.
First is England lost. Then it is Why did they lose. Then it is whose fault is it they lost. Etc...
That's how you sell subscriptions."

And that is the model they are following with Dominic here. They have well over a weeks worth of stories on this ready to go. And it will help sell subscriptions to their website since that's the economic model newspapers need to survive the pandemic.

And in their target they've got the kind of guy who doesn't have powerful friends to fight back. Only some allies.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna call the police on a kids birthday party, and I don't even know if breaking lockdown rules is a criminal offence. I'm just kinda astounded by the ridiculous selfishness.

The people who are enforcing the lockdown rules can’t do anything about it if you don’t tell them. Might want to call social services about the shouting as well. Those poor kids.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

There is two reasons for this. Convenience and newspapers need money.

Cummings has powerful allies, but not powerful friends. That means while people will go to bat for him, if push comes to shove people won't sacrifice their careers for him if there is compelling evidence. And this scandal has compelling evidence.

The second reason is cold hard cash. Newspapers are bleeding money due to the lockdown. And this scandal is perfect newspaper fodder.

Years ago I worked for a Tabloid. An editor in chief from the UK branch explained their business model around the World Cup.

"Basically, every World Cup, it is my job to get the English football manager fired.
Why?
Because England Win the World Cup is a story.
It's a good story and it sells Newspapers. But for one day.

But England lose the World Cup? That's a better story. Because it sells Newspapers for days.
First is England lost. Then it is Why did they lose. Then it is whose fault is it they lost. Etc...
That's how you sell subscriptions."

And that is the model they are following with Dominic here. They have well over a weeks worth of stories on this ready to go. And it will help sell subscriptions to their website since that's the economic model newspapers need to survive the pandemic.

And in their target they've got the kind of guy who doesn't have powerful friends to fight back. Only some allies.

Good god I hate the media industry.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Boris Johnson is now leading the 5pm press conference.

This could be tasty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Good god I hate the media industry.

It reproduces itself in a lot more aspects of society unfortunately.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sassassin posted:

It's not a crime to care about your kid's birthday. Not sure what the police could possibly do.

inviting a load of people round to possibly infect your child is "caring about their birthday" now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I know. So much of society is based on breaking stuff for profit and it saddens me. Especially as it's so loving short sighted.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

willie_dee posted:

The people who are enforcing the lockdown rules can’t do anything about it if you don’t tell them. Might want to call social services about the shouting as well. Those poor kids.

Yeah, the NSPCC are encouraging anyone with concerns, even just suspicions or hunches or whatever, to give them a call.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Julio Cruz posted:

inviting a load of people round to possibly infect your child is "caring about their birthday" now?

you're missing the obvious [Dominic Cummings voice] there

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Boris Johnson is now leading the 5pm press conference.

This could be tasty.

Calling it now; it's going to be a lot of bluster, projection and an insistence that dommy did no wrong but no sacking or resignation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope so, because that's going to make for a much funnier week.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My hope is that Boris does the conference, announces he has confidence in him, wraps it up and makes a swift exit.

5 minutes later we get a photo of Cummies gawping at some Durham bluebells in May.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
So far the journos have played a blinder waiting to release the second part of the story until half the cabinet had bent over ready for the kicking. There has to be a third part right? Photo of him there or something? I can't imagine them taking the shot if they didn't have a really solid chaser ready to go for when DC immediately denied it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

My hope is that Boris does the conference, announces he has confidence in him, wraps it up and makes a swift exit.

5 minutes later we get a photo of Cummies gawping at some Durham bluebells in May.

This is what I'm hoping will happen too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

darkwasthenight posted:

So far the journos have played a blinder waiting to release the second part of the story until half the cabinet had bent over ready for the kicking. There has to be a third part right? Photo of him there or something? I can't imagine them taking the shot if they didn't have a really solid chaser ready to go for when DC immediately denied it.

In my experience, you wouldn't necessarily run this as a story. But you would run it as a series of stories.
I'd say they have over a weeks worth of material.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

Video of him bragging about going outside and coughing on old ladies AND orphans, followed by footage of him doing so.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

This is what I'm hoping will happen too.

alternative comedy option,

Boris assumes they have more info and fires him, only to realise they didn't have anything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most sufficiently old ladies are orphans.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
He's been everywhere, that Dominic Cummings. Spotted him today skipping through a field in his little hat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

The Question IRL posted:

In my experience, you wouldn't necessarily run this as a story. But you would run it as a series of stories.
I'd say they have over a weeks worth of material.

Could be total conspiracy thinking here, but both the accounts who tweeted about a third visit on May 10 have been conspicuously silent about further details since then - just football tweets and stuff like that. Mirror and Guardian both tagged in the comments on the date they originally tweeted but didn't publicly follow up.

If I was a journo running the story and knew I was doing it a series I'd have advised them to keep schtum until it dropped. That sound anywhere close to possible or do I need to get my meds changed again?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

He's gone.

e: lol that intro didn't go where I thought, bit embarrassing

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

He's gone.

e: lol that convo didn't go where I thought

Boris is spineless

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

He's gone.

e: lol that convo didn't go where I thought

I knew he was gonna drop the ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
hahaha absolutely cravenly corrupt government. Total cowardice. Cummings is either a cult leader or has incriminating information about every member of the cabinet (or probably both)