Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
IT EXISTS! I was fishing in a sky lake with a luck potion active and pinky spawned and it dropped the slime staff! wow. First time I've ever seen this in 1200+ hours. And here I was expecting my first summon to be the imp, as usual.

It's so cute.

e. VVVV

Trickyblackjack posted:

Is the slime staff ultra rare? I got it in one of my first underground jaunts. It definitely increased my survivability.

0.0143% on master mode, which translates to 1 in 7,000. Seems Pinky has a chance of 1/100 for normal and 1/70 for expert/master, though.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Is the slime staff ultra rare? I got it in one of my first underground jaunts. It definitely increased my survivability.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I didn't expect it to be that rare either. I have like three of them now.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Clearly you two are praying to RNGesus and Ambaire is not.

Journey mode was really the best thing to come back to for this game. In the course of a dozen or so hours I've already murdered the gently caress out of the moon lord and am working on the "event" bosses they added since I stopped playing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gimmick Account posted:

Do the various biome-specific pylons added in 1.4 also work in the underground variants of said biomes? Or is the 'underground' pylon the only one usable down there? That would be a shame, because I tend to put most of my settlements below the surface.

What's good about C# games is that you can decompile them easily with something like dnSpy and then read the code.

code:
		// Token: 0x0600184F RID: 6223 RVA: 0x00499B20 File Offset: 0x00497D20
		private bool DoesPylonAcceptTeleportation(TeleportPylonInfo info, Player player)
		{
			switch (info.TypeOfPylon)
			{
			case TeleportPylonType.SurfacePurity:
			{
				int num = ((double)info.PositionInTiles.Y <= Main.worldSurface && (double)info.PositionInTiles.Y > Main.worldSurface * 0.34999999403953552) ? 1 : 0;
				bool flag = (int)info.PositionInTiles.X >= Main.maxTilesX - 380 || info.PositionInTiles.X <= 380;
				return num != 0 && !flag && (!this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForJungle && !this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForSnow && !this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForDesert && !this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForGlowingMushroom && !this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForHallow && !this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForCrimson && !this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForCorruption);
			}
			case TeleportPylonType.Jungle:
				return this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForJungle;
			case TeleportPylonType.Hallow:
				return this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForHallow;
			case TeleportPylonType.Underground:
				return (double)info.PositionInTiles.Y >= Main.worldSurface;
			case TeleportPylonType.Beach:
			{
				bool flag2 = (double)info.PositionInTiles.Y <= Main.worldSurface && (double)info.PositionInTiles.Y > Main.worldSurface * 0.34999999403953552;
				return ((int)info.PositionInTiles.X >= Main.maxTilesX - 380 || info.PositionInTiles.X <= 380) && flag2;
			}
			case TeleportPylonType.Desert:
				return this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForDesert;
			case TeleportPylonType.Snow:
				return this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForSnow;
			case TeleportPylonType.GlowingMushroom:
				return this._sceneMetrics.EnoughTilesForGlowingMushroom;
			case TeleportPylonType.Victory:
				return true;
			default:
				return true;
			}
		}
Note that, internally, Terraria keeps Y position as the distance from the top of the world: the higher the value, the lower you are. That's why "PositionInTiles.Y <= Main.worldSurface" means "above the surface"; and inversely "PositionInTiles.Y > Main.worldSurface" means "below the surface".

The Forest Pylon will work anywhere above the surface (reminder that the surface level is actually some distance down underground usually, so it should keep working in shallow caves) except for the 380 tiles from either edges of the world, or too far high in space. But it needs to be a pure zone -- not jungle, not snow, not desert, not shrooms, not hallow, not crimson, and not corruption.

The Jungle Pylon requires enough jungle tiles, the Hallow Pylon requires enough hallow tiles, the Desert Pylon requires enough desert tiles, the Snow Pylon requires enough snow/ice tiles, and the Mushroom Pylon requires enough glowing mushroom tiles. Notice how there's no position requirements to any of them; they'll work just fine from uppermost space to the lowermost Hell. (Yes, you can totally create towns in Hell now.) Also note they just look at how many tiles of their desired elements are there; contrarily to the Forest Pylon they will not be disabled by a different biome also being there. It's possible to create a place that counts as snow, desert, jungle, shroom, and hallow all at once.

The Ocean Pylon works on the surface and not in space, but must be within 380 tiles of the edge of the world. Note that it does not require purity. Likewise, the Cavern Pylon only cares about being underground.

So you can have a same place that counts as Jungle, Hallow, Desert, Snow, Mushroom, and either Ocean or Underground. I have no idea what purpose it would serve, but it'd work. It's only Forest who doesn't play well with others.

And of course, the Universal Pylon works anywhere, but since you need 100% bestiary completion to get it, that means having defeated all monsters in the game -- including Moon Lord. (That's why it's called the Victory Pylon internally.)

Fun fact: the Lihzahrd Temple counts as jungle, and you can put a Jungle Pylon in there. It'll work but only if Plantera has been defeated. Of course it needs an NPC town to work, just like every other pylons, which means NPC housing, which are not compatible with the original Lihzahrd Brick Walls, but if you have a little cabin nearby enough with the Witch Doctor and his dog or something, you can put a pylon in the Temple. Likewise, you can have a pylon in the dungeon; same caveat of having NPC housing with "safe" walls nearby.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes.

There's a button to turn the crafting menu into a grid so you can find what you're looking for.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. What?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nope, a couple pages ago there was discussion about how this is a big misconception. Evil spreading in the world is not powerful enough to matter or get very far. The only time it does matter is immediately after beating Wall of Flesh when some of your surface land gets converted in random strips.

There are a whole lot of features that make inventory easier, most of all playing in Journey mode and using item duplication instead of worrying about storing mass amounts of stuff. Also make sure you read up on piggy banks, safes, money troughs, and void bags (in increasing order of how great they are) as ways of dealing with excess items.

I envy you. You're so green at this, you're going to have so much fun

I think that's a new thing for me, last I played I never met the wall of flesh or even most of the bosses because I'd keep restarting my world to try and contain it.

I'm in a weird place, I have such a bad memory and it was so long ago, some stuff is familiar but other stuff I'm remembering from starbound or some other games. I'm trying to strike a balance between playing blind and just looking everything up, a temporary state, at least while it's still (re-)fresh to me. Already bit me in the rear end once tho, wasted a ton of gems making some kind of mega gem that apparently only has a function in multiplayer. don't suppose there's a way to uncraft it, haha.

I also just crafted some mine tracks and this seems like a ton of fun. Tempted to make a high platform and tracks that run across the world

Also, playing on classic atm, wanted to try the original intended experience first. Research sounds cool though, honestly sounds like something you'd maybe need in the normal game anyway?

Like, I started up the game and my first night I got more shooting stars than I knew what to do with, and I instantly knew how to make myself those mana potions. I guess you just rationalize it by the guide being nearby who could teach you every recipe? Just progression-wise, it's a little weird to start the game and instantly become mega mana magic man. On the other hand, I don't know any spells or uses for mana anyway so its not actually a big deal either way

p.s. whats the k00l texture packs?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 24, 2020

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
So we're gonna do a master mode playthrough. My wife will play summoner as always. Of the three other classes, which would you think complements the summoner weaknesses the most, or does it even matter? In other words, im not too up-to-date on the balance changes since last we played (1.3 expert).
In 1.3 I played with yo-yos, which felt overpowered the whole way thru. Are they still? Are the new flails fun? Is early ranged still boring?
Haven't been a huge fan of magic, but I might give that a shot for once. The one time I tried it, back in 1.1, it took forever to get anything decent. Some low level staff that did piddly damage and took 10 gems to craft.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Magic damage got a bunch of new items in the patch, and it’s been a lot of fun messing around with those. The ever reliable space gun also counts as magic damage. So you can’t go wrong with magic!

Also the Flamelash and Magic Missile both got pretty nice upgrades in the patch, making both really solid pre-Hardmode choices.

EDIT: All the old throwing weapons got changed to ranged damage, so there’s a bunch of early game ranged options too!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've been really liking the flails. They're versatile and hit like a truck.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Finally got a pre-hardmode Cell Phone! :toot:

I ended up just doing the daily then going to bed. I had four blood moons pop while doing this.

You can't sleep through blood moons.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Wait, going to bed actually does something?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ROLLING CACTI AAAAUGH WHYY

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cardiovorax posted:

Wait, going to bed actually does something?

After a few seconds in bed time speeds up to around 5x or so, but the time accel won't work during blood moons, invasions, or if the pillars are around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh no, i found some guy called "the golfer" but antlions killed him before i could reach him :(

also why wont my gem trees grow?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 24, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

also why wont my gem trees grow?
They only grow in the Underground and in darkness.

BisbyWorl posted:

After a few seconds in bed time speeds up to around 5x or so, but the time accel won't work during blood moons, invasions, or if the pillars are around.
Oh, neat. I guess I didn't wait long enough.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Gobblecoque posted:

I've been really liking the flails. They're versatile and hit like a truck.

Yeah they're a fun weapon to play with, and consistently among the most powerful melee weapons that were available up until the middle of hardmode, but then they drop off and then disappear all together for some reason. The Dao of Pow is available pretty much immediately on entering hard mode and is still good, but then the Plantera one isn't really any better than anything else you can get at that point and there just isn't one after that. There's one listed on the wiki as being from a blood moon fishing mob but I couldn't get one to drop and the stats on the wiki don't sound promising.

The physics free launched ones go a bit further but still top out after the golem one which isn't even particularly great, and Flairon is actually worse if you use it for the impact itself rather than trying to get as many homing bubbles as possible.

Melee as a whole just kind of stops being good as a style after Golem, as far as I'm concerned. The weapons that are still useful are the ones that are basically just ranged/magic weapons that happen to be shaped like a sword. I think the later bosses do a decent job at not overly punishing proximity but even then the armour just isn't tanky enough and the weapons just don't hit hard enough.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is the Demon Conch hardmode-only or just really rare? Ive spent like an hour lava fishing and haven’t seen it pop up at all

Cat Mattress posted:

The Jungle Pylon requires enough jungle tiles, the Hallow Pylon requires enough hallow tiles, the Desert Pylon requires enough desert tiles, the Snow Pylon requires enough snow/ice tiles, and the Mushroom Pylon requires enough glowing mushroom tiles. Notice how there's no position requirements to any of them; they'll work just fine from uppermost space to the lowermost Hell. (Yes, you can totally create towns in Hell now.) Also note they just look at how many tiles of their desired elements are there; contrarily to the Forest Pylon they will not be disabled by a different biome also being there. It's possible to create a place that counts as snow, desert, jungle, shroom, and hallow all at once.

Will the Truffle move into an Underground Mushroom house or do you still need a surface Mushroom biome to get him?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Augus posted:

Is the Demon Conch hardmode-only or just really rare? Ive spent like an hour lava fishing and haven’t seen it pop up at all

Will the Truffle move into an Underground Mushroom house or do you still need a surface Mushroom biome to get him?

It's just really rare

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

They only grow in the Underground and in darkness.

Wait, it has to be dark, too? poo poo, there go my urban beautification plans...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

Wait, it has to be dark, too? poo poo, there go my urban beautification plans...
Yeah, the seeds grow best in complete darkness and get slower and slower in proportion to how bright it is. At full brightness, their growth stops completely.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, the seeds grow best in complete darkness and get slower and slower in proportion to how bright it is. At full brightness, their growth stops completely.

No joke: A long time ago, out of all things, I bought a whole bunch of ultrabright torches from the travelling merchant, and have been sticking them everywhere near the settled area since.

Maybe I'll just turn it into a mushroom biome instead.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Augus posted:

It exist, but it took me a long time, to fish the demon conch, bottomless lava bucket and sponge

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah they're a fun weapon to play with, and consistently among the most powerful melee weapons that were available up until the middle of hardmode, but then they drop off and then disappear all together for some reason. The Dao of Pow is available pretty much immediately on entering hard mode and is still good, but then the Plantera one isn't really any better than anything else you can get at that point and there just isn't one after that. There's one listed on the wiki as being from a blood moon fishing mob but I couldn't get one to drop and the stats on the wiki don't sound promising.

The physics free launched ones go a bit further but still top out after the golem one which isn't even particularly great, and Flairon is actually worse if you use it for the impact itself rather than trying to get as many homing bubbles as possible.

Melee as a whole just kind of stops being good as a style after Golem, as far as I'm concerned. The weapons that are still useful are the ones that are basically just ranged/magic weapons that happen to be shaped like a sword. I think the later bosses do a decent job at not overly punishing proximity but even then the armour just isn't tanky enough and the weapons just don't hit hard enough.

That's a shame to hear. I'm still in early hardmode (just knocked out the destroyer) and have had a flail of one variety or another in my hotbar the whole time since I first found a mace in one of those cave chests.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a relatively reliable way to farm jungle grass seeds? I've been through my jungle biome a lot and still have nowhere near the 25 needed to research them.

I'm looking to create a jungle farm/biome under my base for when i move into hard mode just to have bits and pieces close by rather than trying to preserve x/y/z.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can make them out of jungle wall tiles on a workbench in the Graveyard biome.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

You can make them out of jungle wall tiles on a workbench in the Graveyard biome.

That’s a really weird and specific requirement.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's specifically what the Graveyard is for. While you're in that fog, you can craft things you previously couldn't and NPCs sell stuff they otherwise don't.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In particular, other than some spooky-themed stuff, the main thing you make in Ecto Mist is background walls that previously only existed naturally.

The items you can make into jungle seeds are walls that are made from jungle seeds, and like other back walls, breaking natural ones doesn't give you the item.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can also buy the quad shotgun from the arms merchant there at any time, which is the same as the hardmode shotgun but with a really wide spread.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I've only played about 10 minutes of hardmode ever. I'm running a melee build with ranged as a backup/emergency option. Will a Night's Edge/Boomstick and Molten Armor be enough to not get destroyed in hardmode?

Also if I don't feel ready for a Mech boss when they spawn, can I save and exit to avoid the fight like I could with the Eye?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dreamsicle posted:

I've only played about 10 minutes of hardmode ever. I'm running a melee build with ranged as a backup/emergency option. Will a Night's Edge/Boomstick and Molten Armor be enough to not get destroyed in hardmode?

Also if I don't feel ready for a Mech boss when they spawn, can I save and exit to avoid the fight like I could with the Eye?

I'd use dark lance, sunfury, or hel-fire over night's edge. Swords are awful garbage til you can make terra blade and that's a long ways away. Make an imp staff, it's free damage. Other than that you're about as good as you're gonna be.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dreamsicle posted:

No to the first.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Dreamsicle posted:

The biggest challenge with that gear will be beating Wall of Flesh - Night's Edge might work but as people has said swords just aren't great. The armour is fine, it's the best you'll get before hard mode. In any case, you won't be sticking with anything for long - on entering hard mode you'll have some more upgrades available very quickly.

And yeah, you can cancel boss fights like that. Alternatively, they won't spawn if you're below the surface layer so just go underground if you see the message pop up (early hard mode has a lot of underground work to do).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I adore this game and I'm glad to see that the final update came out with so much content. It almost feels like an updated game engine, there are so many new graphical and quality-of-life features.

Console and Mobile shouldn't be terribly far behind at getting the 1.4 patch.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

I adore this game and I'm glad to see that the final update came out with so much content. It almost feels like an updated game engine, there are so many new graphical and quality-of-life features.

Console and Mobile shouldn't be terribly far behind at getting the 1.4 patch.

Consoles just got 1.3.5 in April, except Switch which just got it the other day. Phones are stuck on 1.3.0 still.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Augus posted:

He needs a surface glowshroom house to spawn. Once it's spawned, you may be able to move him to an underground glowshroom house with the housing interface. I'm not sure. If you actually have underground shroomhouses, it's easy to test; I didn't find the code that handles this.

Gimmick Account posted:

Just wire all your area's lamps to a switch, and turn off the light when you head out.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

dis astranagant posted:

Consoles just got 1.3.5 in April, except Switch which just got it the other day. Phones are stuck on 1.3.0 still.

True.

They've actually announced that Mobile will get 1.4 in 2020. Which they haven't done for the consoles yet. Maybe they have to wade through more red tape with Sony et al.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

He needs a surface glowshroom house to spawn. Once it's spawned, you may be able to move him to an underground glowshroom house with the housing interface. I'm not sure. If you actually have underground shroomhouses, it's easy to test; I didn't find the code that handles this.
No, you can't. You can't move him out of a surface shroom biome at all, the game just gives you an error message. You can transfer him between different ones, if you have them, but that's as far as it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DelphiAegis posted:

Clearly you two are praying to RNGesus and Ambaire is not.

Journey mode was really the best thing to come back to for this game. In the course of a dozen or so hours I've already murdered the gently caress out of the moon lord and am working on the "event" bosses they added since I stopped playing.

rngesus is a loving false idol

i've gotten three slime staffs while playing this game, and rocket boots back before they were an item you could buy. but that's because i pray to Expy, goddess of grinding and rare drops