Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

If that's the case Boris needs to have a long think about if he's worth it. The ragsheets will turn on him and then what? It's political suicide to not sack him. He's hosed.

It's political suicide for Boris to sack Cummings as well. Boris is above all things lazy; he has never in his life done anything he didn't want to do, even for large sums of money he would put in the minimal effort. He is absolutely dependent on having someone to provide a script, and that person cannot be a Tory because they'd knife him in a heartbeat. The only question is whether Boris asks Cummings for the answers or if Cummings just hands out the orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

that article posted:

With the top button unfastened on their pink Ralph Lauren shirts and slicked back hair, they've mastered the "Tory front-bencher on the beach" aesthetic. Combined with their domineering dance floor moves, and simultaneously overly forward and uncomfortably awkward chirpse technique, Durham lads make for uncomfortable club company. This is all the more infuriating when you realise just how much they're enjoying themselves, tossing their precisely coifed heads back to bask in the euphoria of One Republic being cross-faded into Chesney Hawkes.

Christ

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

OwlFancier posted:

Other than it's weird for a rational genius turbonerd to own a nightclub what's the significance?
Notorious shitpit.

Ask anyone who went to Durham at the right sort of time about Klute and watch their face fold directly inward like they ate three lemons

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Jedit posted:

It's political suicide for Boris to sack Cummings as well. Boris is above all things lazy; he has never in his life done anything he didn't want to do, even for large sums of money he would put in the minimal effort. He is absolutely dependent on having someone to provide a script, and that person cannot be a Tory because they'd knife him in a heartbeat. The only question is whether Boris asks Cummings for the answers or if Cummings just hands out the orders.

:yeshaha: It'll be a few interesting days!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

What's a svengali?
Not much, what’s svengali with you?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Wasn't Svengali that animated movie with Robin Williams as a rapping Bat?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Mr Phillby posted:

Wasn't Svengali that animated movie with Robin Williams as a rapping Bat?

No that’s ferngully. Svengali are the people who certify gaming world records

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

No that’s ferngully. Svengali are the people who certify gaming world records

No, that's Twin Galaxies. Svengali is a stick of frozen juice that you lick in the summer

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That's Numberwang!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Non Cummings chat:

Does the app log you out of its own accord sometimes? I haven't had to log in for over a year but today I had to and I couldn't find my password so had to catch up 12 pages on the website on my phone's browser. Rather trying.
I just remembered where I saved it on my phone so I can use the app now.

Cummings chat:
Well what about that then, eh!
Haven't been on FB for 3 days to see what my Tory acquaintances are saying. Plenty of Tory arslikhan going on on twitter though.
I did see 2 mins of Spaffer's defence though.
Pathetic.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kojiro posted:

Notorious shitpit.

Ask anyone who went to Durham at the right sort of time about Klute and watch their face fold directly inward like they ate three lemons

I sent the companies house screenshot to the one person from Durham I still speak to and I could hear the facial expression change over the internet

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Venomous posted:

No, that's Twin Galaxies. Svengali is a stick of frozen juice that you lick in the summer

No, that's ice lollies. Svengali is an electically powered passenger vehicle that runs through cities on rails.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apraxin posted:

A Corbyn comparison isn't really apt, but CumDom's the same in that he hates a lot of the rules of the standard Westminster access game. He's openly contemptuous of most people who don't meet his standard of intellectualism (the good muscular conservative intellectualism, not the bad soft liberal kind), he's petty and holds grudges, and makes it clear he sees even the journos he leaks to as useful idiot pawns rather than trusted collaborators.

Honestly I'd guess a lot of these guys want him gone just so they can go back to government advisors sharing secrets over drinks like they're part of the same old boys club instead of this cold egghead who talks down to them dictating what they should print tomorrow via Whatsapp message.

still amazed at how much Labour hated Corbyn, who to my uninformed eyes seemed like an extremely pleasant guy. And weird that it happened at the same time the Dems in the States did such a rejection of Bernie Sanders, who is at least partly responsible for it by making some politically inadvisable moves. Same thing with Corbyn?

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Shageletic posted:

still amazed at how much Labour hated Corbyn, who to my uninformed eyes seemed like an extremely pleasant guy. And weird that it happened at the same time the Dems in the States did such a rejection of Bernie Sanders, who is at least partly responsible for it by making some politically inadvisable moves. Same thing with Corbyn?

Yes. In the same way that Sanders was rejected for being overly hostile to wealth creators in a society that tends to value them, Corbyn was rejected primarily for anti-semitic dogwhistles in a society that tends to be historically intolerant of anti-semitism (world war 2).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Shageletic posted:

Both faced an array of very similar forces; The material threat they posed to the ruling and financial elites was actually very small (The most extreme thing either man wants is... some industries to be run by the government), but the threat they were believed to pose because they represented at least some level of repudiation of neoliberal economic & political orthodoxy was incredibly strong. If one or both were to win elections, it would undermine everything the right and center have been saying for decades now, since Thatcher and Reagan took office - it could have just been a blip that was over after one or two terms, but it could have heralded a sea-change in the underlying political scenes in the US and UK, and by extension, further afield.

There have been large parts of the Labour Party who are centrist, capitalist, and largely agree with the current world order. The Dem Party is even more fervently held by such people, where exceptions come up from below like the Squad and Lee Carter, whilst in Labour there have long been some holdouts on the left from the old days. But that's as may be, the point is that this potentially seismic shift leftwards was feared and hated by large elements of their parties just as much as the actual right-wing parties. Corbyn was simply too nice, too strong a believer in democracy and dialogue, or too naive (depending on your views) to clean house when he got the opportunity. Bernie didn't manage to get the opportunity because the party elite acted with a unity and determination not since in Dem politics since LBJ was in charge. So, Corbyn was trying to build bridges and lead a big-tent party to electoral success, in a situation where snap elections could have been called at any time (And indeed were, in 2017), and he was trying to do so at the helm of a political party that was rife with people who fanatically hated him. That's not hyperbole - we recently had a big leaked report that showed just how hard a faction of the Labour party was working to stop Corbyn from winning. The result, of course, was that he wasn't able to win an election, though 2017 went far better than expected and had he actually had a supported, united party it's very easy to believe he'd have become PM.

Of course by the time the 2019 election was called the only issue that really mattered was Brexit, and there's a lot which could be said about that, but the die was already long since cast re: Labour hatred of Corbyn. That happened the day the members voted for him, and he endured more coups, betrayals, leaks, and sabotage than I can even call to mind.

So it's more or less the same as with Bernie - neither man ran a 100% perfect campaign, but nobody ever does. It's just that because there were already enormous forces of capital lined up against them, their innocent comments became gaffes, their gaffes became dramatic mistakes, their actual mistakes became completely disqualifying. And where problems couldn't be found, because both men are fundamentally decent people who for-real wanted to do the best they could for their countries and had credible plans to do so, they were simply invented. Or in the case of antisemitism with Corbyn, a real problem was simultaneously treated with vastly outsized importance by the media whilst members of Labour were, we now know, deliberately sabotaging the process of investigating antisemitism claims with the intention of making Corbyn look bad.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Middlesbrough isn’t a city or a town; it’s an open sore on the landscape.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Just had a peep at today’s papers, the press seems to be falling in behind the government in general. Oh well.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Non Cummings chat:

Does the app log you out of its own accord sometimes? I haven't had to log in for over a year but today I had to and I couldn't find my password so had to catch up 12 pages on the website on my phone's browser. Rather trying.
I just remembered where I saved it on my phone so I can use the app now.

The cookie expires after 12 months I think

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Angepain posted:

has boris just never had a media scandal that actually stopped him from getting re-elected so far and doesn't understand that it is in fact possible for his actions to have consequences

Not that it prevented him getting re-elected but he has been sacked from various jobs. Here's a blast from the past:

Guardian, 2004 posted:

Tory MP Boris Johnson was sacked from his party's front bench last night over lurid claims about his love life. His fate was sealed by the mother of his alleged mistress, Petronella Wyatt, who said her daughter had become pregnant by him and had an abortion last month.

Johnson, who is married with four children, had categorically dismissed the allegations only last week as an 'inverted pyramid of piffle'- and, crucially, he had assured Tory leader Michael Howard they were untrue.

Last night Howard said his colourful arts spokesman and party vice-chairman had been 'relieved of his responsibilities'. He is said to have been unable to forgive Johnson for having apparently misled both newspapers to whom he had earlier denied the allegations and Howard, who publicly backed him.

'This is nothing to do with personal morality. Last weekend when all this came up Michael stood by him and said shadow ministers can live their lives as they want, it was not a matter for him,' said one. But 'it is a matter for him when shadow ministers don't tell the truth'.

Howard offered him the chance to resign, but Johnson insisted on being fired.

The episode brings an end to an unlikely but uniquely engaging political career. Johnson, 40, who is also editor of the Spectator magazine, became one of the few modern Tories able to capture the public imagination, even provoking speculation he could be a future leader.

He had already survived the now infamous Spectator editorial accusing Liverpool of wallowing in its grief over the death of hostage Kenneth Bigley, after visiting the city to apologise.

But the saga of his alleged relationship with Spectator columnist Wyatt was the last straw.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Comrade Fakename posted:

Middlesbrough isn’t a city or a town; it’s an open sore on the landscape.

boro owns actually, it should be the new capital when london sinks into the ocean.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Just had a peep at today’s papers, the press seems to be falling in behind the government in general. Oh well.

The Daily Mail are not, which is intriguing.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Communist Bear posted:

The Daily Mail are not, which is intriguing.

Looks like the right-wing papers are all moving to confidence and supply until such times as they can stick the boot in and get Gove as PM. I’d expect to start seeing some of the stockpile of poo poo they have on Johnson to trickle out.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

:yeshaha: It'll be a few interesting days!

Seeing this image makes me think there should be a more generic 'excuse bingo card' somewhere.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah I dunno, it looks like all the nominally anti-Tory papers (and the Mail :psyduck:) are sticking the boot in, and the others are going with 'Boris gives backing to advisor Cummings' instead of 'Bozza Legend DESTROYS lefty smears against innocent angel Dommy Bantz'. Feels like they know there's genuine public anger and maybe more revelations to come, and maybe they'll have to hedge their bets for a few days until this shakes out.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Other than it's weird for a rational genius turbonerd to own a nightclub what's the significance?

A few notes about this place from when I was at Durham (2008-2011):

- full of young Tory wankers often dressed in full tweed w/ red bow-tie or similar
- all the TVs in the club exclusively played highlights of the 2003 rugby World Cup on repeat every night
- the playlist was exactly the same every night and included Steps, S Club 7, don’t stop believing and always ended on that’s amore
- most popular drink was the ‘quaddie’, quadruple vodka served as two separate drinks (double vodka and orange and double vodka and cranberry) in a small glass and a half full pint glass so you could combine the two yourself, as you couldn’t legally serve 4 shots in one drink

It was tiny, disgusting and you had a reasonable chance of bumping into an active member of the England test cricket team.

Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 25, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Boro didn't exist 180 years ago so yeah, not a city. Also I don't think it has a cathederal unless they buried it somewhere. Cities in the UK are political appointments, not based on actual size.
They've had to start calling them 'Cathedral Cities' now to cover for the level of farce that gets you towns like Ely (pop. 20,000) and Salisbury (pop. 45,000) being alleged cities with massive cathedrals while Leicester (pop. 350,000) has a moderately sized parish church and wasn't made a city until 1919, due to a long history of Lollardy, Parliamentarianism, and holding the king at sword point, and didn't become a cathedral city until 1927.

There were very few celebrations of Leicester's centenary last year, so I hope the cathedral does some suitably bizarre celebrations in 2027 to make up for it, like blessing the moon.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

There were very few celebrations of Leicester's centenary last year, so I hope the cathedral does some suitably bizarre celebrations in 2027 to make up for it, like blessing the moon.

How did they fit the moon in there? It usually only comes out for night events.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They turned all the lights off and lured it in through the Holy Ghost hole with carrot sticks.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I didn't go there, but my impression of Durham uni was that certain of its colleges were seen as the backup plan for people without the grades or connections to make it into Oxford or Cambridge but who still aspired to spend their degree making posh braying noises and perhaps abusing some homeless people on their way to a career in politics and/or finance. So reports of a chronic young Tory infestation there are not surprising.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-nationals-uk-citizenship-home-office-latest-a9527036.html

(Sorry phone posting so can't copy paste).

This govt is a disgrace.

EU applicants now being asked to provide evidence of private medical insurance since 2013! (Which apparently wasn't a requirement).

Ed. For citizenship applications not settlement.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ouroboros posted:

A few notes about this place from when I was at Durham (2008-2011):

- full of young Tory wankers often dressed in full tweed w/ red bow-tie or similar
- all the TVs in the club exclusively played highlights of the 2004 rugby World Cup on repeat every night
- the playlist was exactly the same every night and included Steps, S Club 7, don’t stop believing and always ended on that’s amore
- most popular drink was the ‘quaddie’, quadruple vodka served as two separate drinks (double vodka and orange and double vodka and cranberry) in a small glass and a half full pint glass so you could combine the two yourself, as you couldn’t legally serve 4 shots in one drink

It was tiny, disgusting and you had a reasonable chance of bumping into an active member of the England test cricket team.
I feel like I've had experiences a lot like this, except the Tories were less posh and it was Mysterious Girl on instead. I don't think I've ever experienced a nightclub that stank or trapped you in sports hell though?

Oh god I'm retroactively realising my nights out before lockdown were terrible :negative:

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

The Deleter posted:

I feel like I've had experiences a lot like this, except the Tories were less posh and it was Mysterious Girl on instead. I don't think I've ever experienced a nightclub that stank or trapped you in sports hell though?

Oh god I'm retroactively realising my nights out before lockdown were terrible :negative:

Yeah I mean it's not unusual in the sense of being a lovely cheese student night, it was that juxtaposed with the weirdly posh clientele that made it noteworthy I think. You would often see people who had come from college formals or similar wearing dinner jackets and cummerbunds, and every time Jonny Wilkinson's drop goal went through (about 20-30 times per night) there would be a fit of drunken braying.

Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 25, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ouroboros posted:

Yeah I mean it's not unusual in the sense of being a lovely cheese student night, it was that juxtaposed with the weirdly posh clientele that made it noteworthy I think. You would often see people who had come from college formals or similar wearing dinner jackets and cummerbunds, and every time Jonny Wilkinson's drop goal went through (about 20-30 times per night) there would be a fit of drunken braying.

That very much sounds like a Hell designed by some very dedicated devils to torture me.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah god, even the people I went out with woulda had the sense to get the gently caress out of that nightmare. Surely nobody can love 2004 rugby that much.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-nationals-uk-citizenship-home-office-latest-a9527036.html

(Sorry phone posting so can't copy paste).

This govt is a disgrace.

EU applicants now being asked to provide evidence of private medical insurance since 2013! (Which apparently wasn't a requirement).

Ed. For citizenship applications not settlement.

That one is a bit more complicated than it might seem - the freedom of movement rules require comprehensive health coverage, and the UK has long argued that NHS is not enough. The government didn't argue too hard in the past out of the fear of beig overturned, but it's definitely something they pointed out even if they didn't actively enforce it.

The main difficulty being that getting a private provider to offer sufficiently "comprehensive" health insurance in the UK is nigh on impossible thanks to NHS being a thing, and complete stupidity besides for the same reason.

The home office also once ruled there is in fact no form of private insurance available at the time which would meet their own test, because, uhh.

Either way it's not a new thing, presumably they just stopped giving a gently caress about being overturned thanks to impending Brexit.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The Deleter posted:

Yeah god, even the people I went out with woulda had the sense to get the gently caress out of that nightmare. Surely nobody can love 2004 rugby that much.

2004 was when Jonah Lomu had his kidney transplant and tried to make a rugby comeback but couldn't pull it off. Then he died some years later from complications related to kidney disease. He was one of my sporting idols, what a guy.

That's my 2004 rugby story.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

big scary monsters posted:

I didn't go there, but my impression of Durham uni was that certain of its colleges were seen as the backup plan for people without the grades or connections to make it into Oxford or Cambridge but who still aspired to spend their degree making posh braying noises and perhaps abusing some homeless people on their way to a career in politics and/or finance. So reports of a chronic young Tory infestation there are not surprising.

Edinburgh also seemed to be this.

Klute sounds like slang for a bodily orifice imo

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kecske posted:

2004 was when Jonah Lomu had his kidney transplant and tried to make a rugby comeback but couldn't pull it off. Then he died some years later from complications related to kidney disease. He was one of my sporting idols, what a guy.

That's my 2004 rugby story.

I've never watched much rugby, but I remember that when Lomu had the ball and was at full speed, there was a genuine expression of fear on his opponents' faces.
And most rugby players are Tories, so making them scared is a public service well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1264810045482700802?s=21

Were I one to be unhappy with the current government, I would simply morph into one Keir Starmer