Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
since journey's end came out, Jonny Atma decided now would be a good time to do one of his most-requested covers: Plantera!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHLOugCHZTc&hd=1

it's great, he really nailed all the little eccentricities of the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

BisbyWorl posted:

So, there was that discussion a while back about how hallow won't affect things like desert pylons, but does the same hold true for fishing? Since my hallow sorta...

And I'm not sure if I'm just having bad luck doing the Angler's daily or if the oasis counts solely as fishing in hallow.

And while there's another oasis on the other side of the map, that desert got nailed by corruption.

I might just have to make a new lake in the bit of desert by the dungeon.

I'd also like to know the answer to this, just hit hardmode yesterday and it feels a lot harder to get my fishing done

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

According to the wiki, it looks like an "Oasis" is just a large enough body of water in a surface Desert area, so you could just get a bunch of sand and pile it up around a pool you made until the background changes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You need 1500 sand to make a desert iirc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

According to the wiki, it looks like an "Oasis" is just a large enough body of water in a surface Desert area, so you could just get a bunch of sand and pile it up around a pool you made until the background changes.

Not sure that's quite right. My drunk world had a giant pool on the edge of the desert and I couldn't put any oasis crates from it but a much smaller pool further inside counted.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gobblecoque posted:

Snow biomes are a real bitch to maintain now since according to the wiki they require 1500 blocks rather than the usual 300. My surface snow area got pretty much wiped out upon entering hardmode even though there were very few crimson blocks anywhere nearby. Even after getting the clentaminator and going crazy with it there are still a few patches there where it shifts to crimson.

The wiki may be wrong here, I harvested about 1500 blocks of snow and ice to make my snow island and I started getting icicles and penguins spawning when I was a third of the way through.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Not sure that's quite right. My drunk world had a giant pool on the edge of the desert and I couldn't put any oasis crates from it but a much smaller pool further inside counted.
I think this is the problem. Especially if you were fishing from the non-desert side.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Today I found a bunch of hearts so my health went from 140 to 260, then I crafted a Yo-yo, and then I bought the Minishark and 1k bullets. I think I'm ready for bosses now.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Today I found a bunch of hearts so my health went from 140 to 260, then I crafted a Yo-yo, and then I bought the Minishark and 1k bullets. I think I'm ready for bosses now.

Just fill the ammo spaces with bullets, because that minishark eats them fast.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I think this is the problem. Especially if you were fishing from the non-desert side.

I was fishing from the desert side.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Is it just me or is literally one gravestone enough for a graveyard biome when in Master difficulty?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Martout posted:

to everyone who's using the 05162020 seed, are you also having trouble finding adamantium/titanium? I've been digging around like a maniac with spelunker potions active and only found enough to make a titanium forge and an adamantium pick

smash more altars? I guess since you have to smash six altars to get all the ores to spawn I'll need to smash 12 to get the same amount you'd normally get from 6?

almost all of my adamantium was within 40 blocks of Hell, so I found it by flying along hell's roof with spelunker and digging slightly up whenever I found a patch

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Safe Word posted:

Is it just me or is literally one gravestone enough for a graveyard biome when in Master difficulty?

It's just you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

No Safe Word posted:

That definitely isn't the case. However, the radius on gravestone influence is pretty large so I bet you have headstones underground which are causing the graveyard to appear very easily.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Excelzior posted:

almost all of my adamantium was within 40 blocks of Hell, so I found it by flying along hell's roof with spelunker and digging slightly up whenever I found a patch

yeah I may just have been unlucky, smashed another set of altars, corruption be damned, and set off slightly above hell and have nearly enough to craft a set of titantium/adamantium each

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

BisbyWorl posted:

So, there was that discussion a while back about how hallow won't affect things like desert pylons, but does the same hold true for fishing? Since my hallow sorta...

And I'm not sure if I'm just having bad luck doing the Angler's daily or if the oasis counts solely as fishing in hallow.

And while there's another oasis on the other side of the map, that desert got nailed by corruption.

I might just have to make a new lake in the bit of desert by the dungeon.

I had the same conundrum today and can confirm hallowed desert counts as desert for fishing.

I must say, Journey Mode Is so great. It’s what I needed to get seriously into Hardmode. I just beat Plantera for the first time and am ripping up the dungeon, getting kickass loot. This game is now truly excellent. The grind was just a little too much for me before. Now it’s just right. I hope this company makes more games.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Normally, I don't do a tenth of the impulsive thoughts I get, but this one was exceptional and so I decided to make it a reality.

I present: the biggest (or at least to my knowledge) Terraria herb farm ever. 4,480 planter boxes (42g56s worth at 95c apiece), 640 of each herb type. 80 wide, 56 tiers high. Oh yeah.

Fireblossom is in the top set of shiverthorn since I haven't killed Wall yet for the fireblossom ones.

Once I get it fully planted, I think I can stop worrying about running out of herbs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there any pre-hardmode NPCs that can get me a snow pylon? As much as I love my base, it's a bit inconvenient.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does the "replace blocks" thing work with planters? It'd be nice to be able to just get whatever planters you have and replace them out from under the herbs later when you can buy the appropriate type.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there any pre-hardmode NPCs that can get me a snow pylon? As much as I love my base, it's a bit inconvenient.

Mechanic

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

The Mechanic likes snow. I've also had an NPC selling two pylons at once when they were in two biomes and were happy, so maybe putting somebody in the Underground Tundra would work? The Demolitionist, Clothier, and Goblin Tinkerer like Undergound.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

Does the "replace blocks" thing work with planters? It'd be nice to be able to just get whatever planters you have and replace them out from under the herbs later when you can buy the appropriate type.

Sadly, it does not. I figure when I get deathweed ones, I'll carefully dynamite the existing ones rather than digging them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"carefully dynamite" :thunk:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You can just place the Dryad and Arms Dealer together and you can get the snow pylon like that

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

"carefully dynamite" :thunk:

Hey, just because you haven't mastered the fine art of knowing EXACTLY what dynamite's destruction range is doesn't mean others haven't. It's a lot easier now that we have the ruler from the start of the game.

Before making this post, I thought it was roughly a 7 tile radius from the center. Let's see how close I was.

For example, here's a 25 wide and 8 tier high set of daybloom planter boxes. Before applying a sticky dynamite to the side of the exact middle:

Suspense shot:

And after:

From this, we can see it was a 14 tile diameter explosion but it seems to have gone 6 up and 8 down from the original dynamite... eh, close enough. I can just run along the 4th rung dropping dynamite every 9 tiles and have vastly less digging to do.

*tests*

Ah, gently caress. Dynamite just drops right through planter boxes.. ended up taking out part of my jungle pylon house, lul. Good thing I tested it first.

Right. Testing again, with a block pre-placed for it to land on.

And after:

Hm. Maybe it would be better to burn some scarab bombs instead. At 80 wide, I'd only need about 16, with 16 pre-placed blocks, and it'd be much cleaner as well.
Testing with those:

Yeah, much better.

Thanks for inspiring me, Zereth.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Found a couple eyeball summoners underground and popped the first one. Made a demon yoyo with the loot. I like this weapon, and made myself a demon axe just as a backup weapon and axe upgrade. I keep meaning to tear this town down but every time I make a replacement building someone seems to move in. It's crazy how much stuff they added in the game, there really need to be some more inventory management tools. Or maybe there are and I just need to get to them. I'm starting to remember carrying around a chest as part of my spelunking gear and just building weird stashes while exploring instead of returning to surface or burning stuff to pick up new crap.

Dryad tells me world is 10% corrupted, went up to 11% after I found the corruption in the snow biome to the left of spawn. I had like 36 purification powders with me. Do I also need to be building torches around the place too, it was a blizzard or something so I couldn't really see the full extent of things or tell if the corruption had been re-spreading to spots I purified or not. The world eater worm thingies seem much less deadly now, it was a nice trip haha.

Fun random moment: I was underground exploring, inventory full, chugged some potions just to make space. Kept finding a new cranny to explore and ended up in some weird new-to-me biome, sparkly red spiderwebs and stuff. The area kept flipping upsidedown seemingly randomly or when i hit the red cobwebs, so I thought maybe they were trippy cobwebs or something unique to this biome. Found some naked lost girl, but then she was rude and attacked me, so I thought maybe she was the one doing it to me. There were lava pools in the area and I didn't want to risk flipping into one of them, so I quaffed a go-home potion... and started falling into the sky!

That was when I figured out I drank some kind of gravity potion and was flipping myself on accident without knowing. Got some cheevo for going into orbit and then fell to my death, cool golden coffin in my town now.

I think my next move will be to start a second base in the snow near the corruption, move the dryad there temporarily, cleanse that corruption while expanding my base into into and moving people into it once I build something pretty.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 26, 2020

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Khanstant posted:

Found some naked lost girl, but then she was rude and attacked me,
That'd be a nymph, the sole source of the metal detector accessory and cellphone component.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Hm. Maybe it would be better to burn some scarab bombs instead. At 80 wide, I'd only need about 16, with 16 pre-placed blocks, and it'd be much cleaner as well.
Testing with those:

Yeah, much better.

Thanks for inspiring me, Zereth.
Scarab bombs are real good before you get to like, Hallow pick/drill and the waiting for them to go off starts being a wash. Especially if you're in Journey and can produce as many as you want.

EDIT: you wont' be able to just drop down placing one for each few rows, though, since their angle of digging is based on their orientation to you when they go off.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Khanstant posted:

It's crazy how much stuff they added in the game, there really need to be some more inventory management tools. Or maybe there are and I just need to get to them. I'm starting to remember carrying around a chest as part of my spelunking gear and just building weird stashes while exploring instead of returning to surface or burning stuff to pick up new crap.

I think you might be ready for this now:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

There are a whole lot of features that make inventory easier, most of all playing in Journey mode and using item duplication instead of worrying about storing mass amounts of stuff. Also make sure you read up on piggy banks, safes, money troughs, and void bags (in increasing order of how great they are) as ways of dealing with excess items.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Fun random moment: I was underground exploring, inventory full, chugged some potions just to make space. Kept finding a new cranny to explore and ended up in some weird new-to-me biome, sparkly red spiderwebs and stuff. The area kept flipping upsidedown seemingly randomly or when i hit the red cobwebs, so I thought maybe they were trippy cobwebs or something unique to this biome. Found some naked lost girl, but then she was rude and attacked me, so I thought maybe she was the one doing it to me. There were lava pools in the area and I didn't want to risk flipping into one of them, so I quaffed a go-home potion... and started falling into the sky!

That was when I figured out I drank some kind of gravity potion and was flipping myself on accident without knowing. Got some cheevo for going into orbit and then fell to my death, cool golden coffin in my town now.
The red cobwebs are normal cobwebs except you drank a Dangersense Potion.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also, the red spider webs were a potion effect too! :O

e: beaten

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Void Bags and the Void Vault are super convenient and you can craft them very early in the game, so I suggest doing so at the first opportunity. It's basically an automatic overflow inventory.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

EDIT: you wont' be able to just drop down placing one for each few rows, though, since their angle of digging is based on their orientation to you when they go off.

And that's the reason I don't use them as much as I would if it were determined by orientation when thrown. Or if they could be crafted into variants that only went diagonally / cardinal directions.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Void Bags and the Void Vault are super convenient and you can craft them very early in the game, so I suggest doing so at the first opportunity. It's basically an automatic overflow inventory.
You need stuff from the Brain/Eater, Jungle Spores, and Bones form the dungeon in order to make it, specifically. If you weren't shoving everything at the guide to see if there's anything new you might miss this! :eng101:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zereth posted:

The Mechanic likes snow. I've also had an NPC selling two pylons at once when they were in two biomes and were happy, so maybe putting somebody in the Underground Tundra would work? The Demolitionist, Clothier, and Goblin Tinkerer like Undergound.

Perfect.

I suppose now I'm ready to start digging a hellroad.

Or maybe just dig out the houses and fight the WoF on my lava shark.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If you have a lava shark you should absolutely fight the Wall on the lava shark and now I'm sad that I didn't think to do that because I think I had one at the time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zereth posted:

If you have a lava shark you should absolutely fight the Wall on the lava shark and now I'm sad that I didn't think to do that because I think I had one at the time.

After testing trying to navigate on a lava shark, I feel like making this possible would take a lot longer than just making a hellroad :smith:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just let the boss drag you along on a leash while you ride, it will still be worth it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

After testing trying to navigate on a lava shark, I feel like making this possible would take a lot longer than just making a hellroad :smith:
... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The 06152020 seed has a giant empty lake of lava in the middle instead of at the edges, so going for a shark ride is definitely an option for anyone playing that map.