Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

The suck list: Dragon, Quickdraw, Victor, Zeus. All of those are strictly worse than the top mechs of the previous weight class. Cyclops HQ is also on the suck list because it doesn't have the tonnage to be usable and the bonus isn't good enough to make up for bringing an ineffective mech.

Semi-suck list: Jager, Rifleman, Catapult K, Battlemaster, Cyclops Z.

You just listed all of the best mechs I currently have. Ha.

I have them kitted to do slightly more damage than my 50/55t mechs and they sport more armor so they're better for me. But I'm glad to see that the Dragon, Quickdraw and Victor are all considered pretty meh because that was my exact reaction to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

fennesz posted:

I have them kitted to do slightly more damage than my 50/55t mechs and they sport more armor so they're better for me. But I'm glad to see that the Dragon, Quickdraw and Victor are all considered pretty meh because that was my exact reaction to them.

Most 50t and essentially all 55t mechs are better than the Dragon and Quickdraws.

The only way the latter kinda sorta edge out is if you field them without jump jets, but jjs are so good that's gimping them anyway.

55 ton mechs have 28 tons of usable weight.
DRG and QKD have 29 tons of usable weight.
But DRG and QKD have worse initiative, lose the Medium class hit defense, and their JJs are 1 ton instead of .5 tons, so with a full complement they are actually 24 tons available vs 25.5 tons available on the 55 mediums.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, but it's a Clan 'Mech.

The Kraken 3 is a 100-tonner with 8 Clan LRM-15s. The Kraken's a crazy boat in all of its configurations, though, the standard version has 10 UAC/2s.

In later eras, the Inner Sphere gets the Viking which is basically a 90 ton Stalker. It's got 2 LRM-20s and 2 LRM-15s, beating out the 80 ton Salamander's 3 LRM-20s.

The LRM variant of the supernova as well. There was one in the supernova mod pack, it may not be canon now that i think about it because of people including their personal variants

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's probably based on the Supernova 2, which packs multiple ATM-9 racks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Arghy posted:

I just checked my marauder 3R's have the lance command module that only gives 10% damage to called shots, nothing about improving accuracy. I'm not running any mods and i haven't gotten any other variants yet so i don't know if maybe that one has it.

Take a screenshot because in the vanilla game all Marauders have the same lance command module, and it always gives a called shot bonus AND 10% damage reduction.

It reads something like "+ called shot - 10% damage"

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Do the different houses favor specific mech variants in the base game, or do you have to use a mod for that? And if so, is there one that doesn't also add dozens of new variants on top of that?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like the Catapult K2. It's not particularly good but it's scrappy and looks cool. Mine has a UAC5, AC5, and some MLs right now and it holds its own. I gave one just 4 LLs before and it was a little laser assassin.

Just make sure to put the MLs in the arms so it draws them on the model. Catapults look real stupid without them lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Conspiratiorist posted:

Most 50t and essentially all 55t mechs are better than the Dragon and Quickdraws.

The only way the latter kinda sorta edge out is if you field them without jump jets, but jjs are so good that's gimping them anyway.

But DRG and QKD have worse initiative, lose the Medium class hit defense, and their JJs are 1 ton instead of .5 tons, so with a full complement they are actually 24 tons available vs 25.5 tons available on the 55 mediums.

You do also get more stability defense moving up a weight class, but stability rarely matters.

fennesz posted:

The addendum for assaults is that they're even worse: the Victor and Zeus have the exact same free tonnage as the 75 ton Orion or Marauder. So you lose the initiative for even less benefit.

I put the battlemaster on the semi-suck list even though it also has that same 42.5 free tons as the Orion/Victor/Zeus because:
1. 80 points more structure HP
2. it has a lot of usable hardpoints
3. it's the biggest mech that can fit 4 heavy jumpjets
Which add together into the ultimate tanky mobile brawler. It's a thing you can do with it that doesn't suck.

Also I put the wrong cyclops on the list, it's the one without a battle computer that's bad. The battle computer one is totally worth using for the initiative bonus.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hannibal Rex posted:

Do the different houses favor specific mech variants in the base game, or do you have to use a mod for that? And if so, is there one that doesn't also add dozens of new variants on top of that?

There are faction tags in the mech files, and there are new faction lance generators so a Davion lance will use all Davion mechs. They only got added in Heavy Metal though so the only content they show up for in the base game is heavy metal stuff.

The problem is that most missions don't define who the opponent is and as far as I can see the lance picker can't select based on the random faction target. So to have a mission against a Davion lance of Davion mechs, it would need to have Davion as the target every time. Multiply that by every faction and it's a lot of work making missions, which is why even the giant mods aren't doing this.

Also IMHO it would be crap for the gameplay because the factions don't have a balanced selection of available mechs. A 3.5-skull mission against Kurita = fight against 8 dragons. No thanks.

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the Catapult K2. It's not particularly good but it's scrappy and looks cool. Mine has a UAC5, AC5, and some MLs right now and it holds its own. I gave one just 4 LLs before and it was a little laser assassin.

Just make sure to put the MLs in the arms so it draws them on the model. Catapults look real stupid without them lol

It's ok to like bad mechs! I had a bit of a soft spot for the jager even before UACs & LBXes because I had one outfitted with all ++ stab guns and it was knockdown city. Making do with scrappy underdog mechs is fun.

The one mod that hasn't been done yet, and I'm slightly tempted to get into code modding to make, would be to have parts per mech for assembly be dynamic. That was you could do something like have the low-tonnage mechs in a class take fewer parts to assemble and the top mechs take more. Then you'd have the initial scrappy period where you're assembling good mediums and a second scrappy period transitioning to heavies because you're not gonna get an Orion early.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Take a screenshot because in the vanilla game all Marauders have the same lance command module, and it always gives a called shot bonus AND 10% damage reduction.

It reads something like "+ called shot - 10% damage"
Haha so i'm just reading it wrong because it's obscure as gently caress, that's what mine says but never in my wildest interpretation would i assume that's what it meant. What does called shot mean? I assumed it gave me a bonus on called shots because it doesn't allow me to aim like a normal called shot. How does + called shot translate into 'you have a better chance of getting head shots', does the lance command bonus apply lance wide or is it just for that mech??

RBA Starblade posted:

I gave mine 2 UAC2's, some ML's, JJ's and a lot of ammo and it's an absolute beast.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

I guess I don't pay enough attention to free weight. I was wondering why my Quickdraw just felt so bad on the front line.

I also didn't realize that different mech classes had different hit defense. I'll have to take a closer look at the various stat pages one more time.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 25, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Arghy posted:

Haha so i'm just reading it wrong because it's obscure as gently caress, that's what mine says but never in my wildest interpretation would i assume that's what it meant. What does called shot mean? I assumed it gave me a bonus on called shots because it doesn't allow me to aim like a normal called shot. How does + called shot translate into 'you have a better chance of getting head shots', does the lance command bonus apply lance wide or is it just for that mech??

I gave mine 2 UAC2's, some ML's, JJ's and a lot of ammo and it's an absolute beast.

When you click the precision strike button or click to shoot a knocked over mech, the % chance shown when you hover the mouse over the part you want to shoot will be higher than normal.

So head shots are like 35% instead of 18% or whatever.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ah i was under the impression it was a passive or something, the way everyone hyped it up sounded like that because i got called shot mastery pilots whiffing head shots multiple times per battle. They have an entire description box why can't they expand that poo poo instead of just leaving it so shortened.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

fennesz posted:

I guess I don't pay enough attention to free weight. I was wondering why my Quickdraw just felt so bad on the front line.

I also didn't realize that different mech classes had different hit defense. I'll have to take a closer look at the various stat pages one more time.

Lights add +3 to enemy shot difficulty, except for Fleas which add +5 due to mech quirk.
Mediums add +1.
Heavies and Assaults get no bonus.

It's not a big difference between mediums and heavies, but it does mean the 10% additional armor of the 60 tonners is kind of a wash vs the 55ters.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Ugh, trying to do the Prototype final mission, and I got bamboozled by the fact that the LRM Turrets can lock on and rail you with all the loving missiles, even though the guide I used explicitly said that they can't do a Sensor Lock as long as your ECM is up. Kind of defeats the purpose of ECM.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Arghy posted:

arghy we've established you have some problems with this game, but when you wrote out asking if the lance command bonus applies lance-wide that should've been a clue even for you

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Rorahusky posted:

Ugh, trying to do the Prototype final mission, and I got bamboozled by the fact that the LRM Turrets can lock on and rail you with all the loving missiles, even though the guide I used explicitly said that they can't do a Sensor Lock as long as your ECM is up. Kind of defeats the purpose of ECM.

I think that was a change made in a hotfix later to avoid some absurd ECM nonsense? I don't remember. I definitely did that mission by hooking around to the side, securing the objective, and then running like hell to extract. I could've stayed and fought, but
a: why
b: no

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I meant the 10% damage reduction of the lance command, that's an odd thing to get translated to lance wide where like the fleas sensor baffles it makes more sense if it was just for the mech.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

I think that was a change made in a hotfix later to avoid some absurd ECM nonsense? I don't remember. I definitely did that mission by hooking around to the side, securing the objective, and then running like hell to extract. I could've stayed and fought, but
a: why
b: no

Well that's god drat stupid. They design a mission to show off ECM, and the immediately give the enemy the tools needed to utterly gently caress you over despite it. I mean, hell, I even tried to stick to the very edges of the map and fight the enemy as they come like some guides tell me I should, and even at the very edge, I get Sensor Locked and LRM'd to death.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Rorahusky posted:

Well that's god drat stupid. They design a mission to show off ECM, and the immediately give the enemy the tools needed to utterly gently caress you over despite it. I mean, hell, I even tried to stick to the very edges of the map and fight the enemy as they come like some guides tell me I should, and even at the very edge, I get Sensor Locked and LRM'd to death.

I might be wrong about the specifics, but ECM bubbles should still provide enemy LRM accuracy penalties if you still have a charge. I got out with mostly intact mechs, no major damage and it was definitely due to ECM helping me cover the hit and fade. Keep your evasion pips up and stay in the bubble and they might try but they shouldn't be succeeding.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

You and me both, brother. They tweaked the way ECM works in a patch, but never adjusted the mission to match. If you want to fight during that mission, you'll have to stay outside the turret's detection range until you've taken out their mobile forces. You can still use the Raven and... Javelin? as your spotters for your two long range mechs if you do that. You'll need to take out the light mechs quickly when they try to get inside your ECM bubble to disable it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Klyith posted:

There are faction tags in the mech files, and there are new faction lance generators so a Davion lance will use all Davion mechs. They only got added in Heavy Metal though so the only content they show up for in the base game is heavy metal stuff.

The problem is that most missions don't define who the opponent is and as far as I can see the lance picker can't select based on the random faction target. So to have a mission against a Davion lance of Davion mechs, it would need to have Davion as the target every time. Multiply that by every faction and it's a lot of work making missions, which is why even the giant mods aren't doing this.

Also IMHO it would be crap for the gameplay because the factions don't have a balanced selection of available mechs. A 3.5-skull mission against Kurita = fight against 8 dragons. No thanks.

Thanks for breaking it down in detail, I appreciate it. I didn't realize it would be so limiting, or so much work.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

In BXCE I've had an against-Liao one skull or such which had 3 Ravens.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Does anyone know how mech salvage works? I downed a Marauder without exploding either arms or legs but I only got one piece of salvage back. I could have sworn I've gotten 2 or 3 pieces back from other rare mechs I'd done the same to.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

fennesz posted:

Does anyone know how mech salvage works? I downed a Marauder without exploding either arms or legs but I only got one piece of salvage back. I could have sworn I've gotten 2 or 3 pieces back from other rare mechs I'd done the same to.

Headshot = 3 pieces
Legged em = 2 pieces
Cored em (CT) = 1 piece

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

fennesz posted:

You get more salvage by legging a mech versus blowing out the centre torso. Headcapping or otherwise causing pilot deaths gives the most.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I managed to complete Prototype, but not without sacrificing both Mediums. Had to sneak around back to get in range of the buildings so I could blow them up, then my Raven and Javelin bolted while the mediums acted as juicy targets to draw fire so they wouldn't kill the only important 'Mech on the field.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GD_American posted:

Headshot = 3 pieces
Legged em = 2 pieces
Cored em (CT) = 1 piece

Also sometimes the game will say "Pilot Incapacitated" because the last wound was a side torso blowing up but if the damage drills through and cores it anyway you'll only get 1, it just won't tell you every now and then.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

RBA Starblade posted:

Also sometimes the game will say "Pilot Incapacitated" because the last wound was a side torso blowing up but if the damage drills through and cores it anyway you'll only get 1, it just won't tell you every now and then.

shouldn't you still get the "CT destroyed" message in that situation? or does that get dropped somehow

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

shouldn't you still get the "CT destroyed" message in that situation? or does that get dropped somehow

It doesn't always seem to go through.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Messages get dropped all the time once you start forcing 4+ of them to show up all at once.

For example, I headshot a Thunderbolt and only ended up with one salvage because I also hit the CT and crit the LRM ammo in there, causing an explosion. Which destroys the CT but I didn't get a CT destroyed message because of the pilot hit, lethal damage, LRM ammo hit, Ammo Explosion notices.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wooh went to a blackmarket system with barely any money and saw a SLDF black knight and now after selling off a lot of poo poo i now have one! Does it count towards my collect em all score or should i also keep my other black knight too?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm chasing a dumb gimmick: My lance tops out at 50t mediums right now, but I have so far found 2/4 pieces of an Atlas for sale.

Soon, soon it will be mine.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The only thing wrong about this is that they're not three Crabs trying to resurrect CrabDaddy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So what is it like fighting clans in bexce? Any unique mission types or anything? I'm still a ways out on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arghy posted:

Wooh went to a blackmarket system with barely any money and saw a SLDF black knight and now after selling off a lot of poo poo i now have one! Does it count towards my collect em all score or should i also keep my other black knight too?

SLDF and expansion Mechs don't count towards the collection bonus.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Is there any way to track the chassis collection in game to find out what you're missing without going mech by mech?

I've got a hell of a lot of stuff in storage at this point but apparently don't have any completed categories yet.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Played through once at launch and loved it, dropped it quite quickly afterwards though because there didn't seem to be much of a post game, I also haven't got any of the DLCs cause they seemed pretty expensive for what they were offering.

Are there any mods now that will work without DLCs that I should check out? Interested in a sandbox experience more than a story, is there anything like the free mechwarrior campaign thing implemented in game yet?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pharnakes posted:

Played through once at launch and loved it, dropped it quite quickly afterwards though because there didn't seem to be much of a post game, I also haven't got any of the DLCs cause they seemed pretty expensive for what they were offering.

Are there any mods now that will work without DLCs that I should check out? Interested in a sandbox experience more than a story, is there anything like the free mechwarrior campaign thing implemented in game yet?

The answer is basically no and the role of the DLCs is 99% to build up the sandbox experience side in career mode.

Just get them on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Today in "gently caress the campaign forever," my ironman run got deleted on a campaign mission that failed on a timer with three rounds remaining on it. It was one of the later story missions where you try and rescue a dude, but *gasp* it's a trap! Wiped out the ambushers because at this point I'm running around in SLDF assault mechs, sprinted towards the data download point. I'm right next to it, three rounds left. Mission Failed!