Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As others have said, while the renaissance was a thing, it was a thing in a very specific part of Italy, that wasn't in any way a clean break from the medieval period, and is rooted more in artistic developments then anything else.

Everyone used it for so long because it turns out art works as extremely effective PR, and because the Italian city states did everything they could to popularize it. Later the Victorians (and most other European nations of it's era) were so embarrassed about themselves and what a mess they were that they invented all kinds of supposed horrors that happened in all three parts of the medieval period - calling it the "Dark Ages," another fake term - to make themselves look better in contrast, and the renaissance was an easy way to explain that transition, despite most of the horrors of the medieval period actually being even worse in that time.

So, yeah. Renaissance isn't used in most actual historical contexts anymore, at least not in how it's used in some 4x games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:siren: another video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIpBX2RozJk

(i've decided I hate William Dyce, he looks like he's been on a body-language-for-managers course)

Summary:

• Fame is the only victory condition
  • One way to get Fame is by collecting Era Stars, which appear to be like city-state quests from Civ 5 or Eurekas from Civ 6
  • Rehashing some poo poo about picking cultures that we already knew
  • "We spoke to some historians" :jerkbag:
  • Cultures have Emblematic Units that replace the common unit and give a mechanic twist (so basically a unique unit from Civ)
  • Cultures have Emblematic Quarters can only be built by that culture and grant a power until the end of the game
  • It's up to you how you leave your mark on humankind..!! (kill me)

Still can't wait to get my hands on this game, but these videos are testing me.

The video did come with an intriguing frame:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Finally some mechanics

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I still haven’t seen anything that tells me why Fame isn’t just the Score victory in Civ? I assume it’s how it’ll be earned/tuned or whatever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So yeah, the devs were lying and 'emblematic units' are totally just unique units from Civ.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cythereal posted:

So yeah, the devs were lying and 'emblematic units' are totally just unique units from Civ.

It's actually hilarious listening to them explain concepts in a way that tries to give the impression they're the first to come up with it, while carefully dancing around the terminology to make sure they don't use a word from the Civ series

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anno posted:

I still haven’t seen anything that tells me why Fame isn’t just the Score victory in Civ? I assume it’s how it’ll be earned/tuned or whatever.

Score victory is set criteria, Fame is different criteria each era.

Like in Civ you'll always get score from having a lot of population, no matter how much population you have. In Humankind you'll only get fame points from population if it's one of the goals for that era, and even then you only get points for hitting the goal, not points for every population unit.

A score victory incentivises you to pick a strategy at the start of the game and stick to it (EG: Turtle and tech up) while a fame victory means you need more capabilities in your empire - if you don't do any fighting, you're not getting any fame for winning battles, for example.

Though presumably just wiping out every other player wins you the game in any case.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gort posted:

Score victory is set criteria, Fame is different criteria each era.

Like in Civ you'll always get score from having a lot of population, no matter how much population you have. In Humankind you'll only get fame points from population if it's one of the goals for that era, and even then you only get points for hitting the goal, not points for every population unit.

A score victory incentivises you to pick a strategy at the start of the game and stick to it (EG: Turtle and tech up) while a fame victory means you need more capabilities in your empire - if you don't do any fighting, you're not getting any fame for winning battles, for example.

Though presumably just wiping out every other player wins you the game in any case.

Yeah I guess it’s more like if there was an Era Score victory in Civ VI. I still don’t know why it’s compelling, though. I keep hoping these games will do away with the concept of victories at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anno posted:

Yeah I guess it’s more like if there was an Era Score victory in Civ VI. I still don’t know why it’s compelling, though. I keep hoping these games will do away with the concept of victories at all.

How would you have no victory conditions in a game where you can just conquer all the other players? Or are we limiting military conquest somehow

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

(i've decided I hate William Dyce, he looks like he's been on a body-language-for-managers course)

He looks like he's auditioning for the part of the sexy betrayer, who convinces a college girl to hide drugs in her backpack for her trip to Malaysia.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gort posted:

How would you have no victory conditions in a game where you can just conquer all the other players? Or are we limiting military conquest somehow

I’m the furthest thing in the world from a game designer so I don’t really know the best ways to do it. I’ve just come to like not worrying about that stuff when playing EU4 or something. It’s much easier to focus on something specific I want to do and consider that my victory, then try something else.

I realize that doesn’t as well in a traditional 4x game, I just hope someone is working on changing it more fundamentally.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fame being the only metric for victory brings it about as close as you can get to no victory conditions for a traditional 4x game

like, part of what drags thing down for me when it comes to victory conditions is that it all feels very baked in from turn 1 'oh i'm doing a [x] victory this time, i gotta do [x] thing no matter what'. there's no real reactivity or changing of plans (outside of 'oh this civ is getting too close to a victory, better blow them up'). between fame being the main win condition and stuff like era civs being first come first serve, it feels like things'll be more flexible and you won't necessarily have one gameplan to follow from start to finish

Anno
May 10, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

fame being the only metric for victory brings it about as close as you can get to no victory conditions for a traditional 4x game

like, part of what drags thing down for me when it comes to victory conditions is that it all feels very baked in from turn 1 'oh i'm doing a [x] victory this time, i gotta do [x] thing no matter what'. there's no real reactivity or changing of plans (outside of 'oh this civ is getting too close to a victory, better blow them up'). between fame being the main win condition and stuff like era civs being first come first serve, it feels like things'll be more flexible and you won't necessarily have one gameplan to follow from start to finish

Yeah I guess I’ll just have to get some hands on time and see how it plays out. Hopefully it works something like that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Seven Wonders (board game) has a decent way of doing military that could be adapted to prevent conquest being the default victory type of any Civ-like game.

In Seven Wonders you build up your military through buildings, and at the end of each era you get points for having more military than the neighbouring players to you.

In a Civ-like game you could do something similar for the three branches of the military - better army means these bonuses, better navy means these, better airforce means these. None of the bonuses would be "You eliminate the player from the game", so military would be a route to victory, but not the default one.

It might be a welcome rest from shuffling military units around, too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should have stuck to sci fi games

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It seems that, in addition to their unique science bonuses, having the "Scientist" trait means the Babylonians get extra fame if they achieve the sciencey fame condition.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Why are they so hesitant on giving us any useful information on how the game actually plays?

Even if it was just one sentence saying "it's literally Endless Legend but irl" that still provides more clarity than what we've seen so far.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Super Jay Mann posted:

Why are they so hesitant on giving us any useful information on how the game actually plays?

Even if it was just one sentence saying "it's literally Endless Legend but irl" that still provides more clarity than what we've seen so far.

I have a feeling that it's because they know it's a convoluted mess.

So just like EndlessLegend but irl.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Fame could be cool if done right or if era victories weren't static. Maybe one game the Ancient era victory is highest population, but the next it would be the most ancient boats, or the most map explored or something. You could even have all the victory conditions set up so that the same 7 conditions would exist across all games, but they would be in a random order. Or maybe there are 20 total conditions and each game you can look at your "history tab" and see which era would have which conditions, along with the rewards for each so that a good player could start planning their game strategy from turn 1, but it wouldn't necessarily be the same strategy each game.

Lots of possibilities there. As for combat I just hope we don't have tactical combat cause that poo poo is boring and is the primary reason I never played any of the Endless games.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Another preview, this time about audio.

Also they posted the title music track for the game. I like it, as I generally have with Amplitude’s games. Actually all the big name strategy publishers routinely put out my favorite video game OSTs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I really, really dig FlyByNo's soundtracks. I have listened to the Endless Space soundtracks far, far longer than I have played any of those games.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Remaining Classical Era civilizations:

- Merchant Aksumites, with the Shotelai and the Great Obelisk
- Militarist Huns, with the Hunnic Horde and the Ordu
- Aesthete Mauryans, with the Samnahya and the Stupa
- Builder Maya, with the Noble Javelineers and the K'uh Nah
- Expansionist Persians, with the Immortals and the Satrap Palace
- Expansionist Romans (kinda expected, tbh), with the Praetorian Guards and the Triumphal Arch
- Agrarian Celts, with the Gaesati and the Nematon

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Nothing really interesting on their twitter over the past month, medieval civs aside, and whether that's interesting is subjective.

Medieval civilisations so far:

- Merchant Byzantines, with Varangian Guards and the Hippódromos
- Agrarian English, with Longbowmen and the Stronghold
- Expansionist Franks, with Franci Milites and the Scriptorium
- Merchant Ghanaians, with Meharists and the Luxuries Market

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Do we have any gameplay videos of this? I'm still really unknown on how it actually plays.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I don't know what their social media team is doing. I remember the leadup to Civ 5 and 6 being released, and the drip feed of info on how the games played was great fun.
It's hard to care that a faction is Expansionist or Agrarian when we don't know what any of that stuff actually means- give us clues to piece together, guys!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

They're usually a really good company at communicating. It's clear that they are way behind on this game, and I don't know what force it is that is preventing them from just telling us that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Human Crouton posted:

They're usually a really good company at communicating. It's clear that they are way behind on this game, and I don't know what force it is that is preventing them from just telling us that.

That and they seem to be trying really hard to find ways to say it's not a Civilization clone when all the hard details we actually know say yeah, it's a Civilization clone.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
They're reading this thread and every time someone posts something negative they have to go back and change a bunch if things.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Flavius Aetass posted:

They're reading this thread and every time someone posts something negative they have to go back and change a bunch if things.

Game will never be finished, goons are insatiable

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Aerdan posted:

Nothing really interesting on their twitter over the past month, medieval civs aside, and whether that's interesting is subjective.

Medieval civilisations so far:

- Merchant Byzantines, with Varangian Guards and the Hippódromos
- Agrarian English, with Longbowmen and the Stronghold
- Expansionist Franks, with Franci Milites and the Scriptorium
- Merchant Ghanaians, with Meharists and the Luxuries Market

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1265311813366951936

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Well, something resembling progress:

IGN's expo has June 9th for "exclusive hands-on impressions" and June 11th for an "exclusive gampeplay interview"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

You pretty much described Europa Universalis's combat system almost down to a T.

EU4's system is opaque as hell, though. To understand it at all you have to go outside of the game to read a bunch of wiki articles. Is my stack likely to win against his stack? I have no idea! I have to go digging around in nation info to see what idea sets he has and then reverse-engineer stats to figure it out.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Roadie posted:

EU4's system is opaque as hell, though. To understand it at all you have to go outside of the game to read a bunch of wiki articles. Is my stack likely to win against his stack? I have no idea! I have to go digging around in nation info to see what idea sets he has and then reverse-engineer stats to figure it out.

The really authentic leader-of-a-nation simulator

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Roadie posted:

In practice you never do this though. You just take the ideas that buff your army the most, don't fight anyone who has better military tech and numbers than you, and try to avoid dumb battles like attacking across a river into mountains.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Gort posted:

In practice you never do this though. You just take the ideas that buff your army the most, don't fight anyone who has better military tech and numbers than you, and try to avoid dumb battles like attacking across a river into mountains.

Why are you saying something so demonstrably wrong

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ash Crimson posted:

What's wrong about it?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Ash Crimson posted:

uh what Gord said is exactly how I manage armies in EU4

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Gort posted:

What's wrong about it?

except if you haven't put any research into it you could easily screw yourself over

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

The really authentic leader-of-a-nation simulator

I was just thinking that when I read his complaint. Rulers in real life were basically presented with that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Finally. Humankind has got a little bit Genghis Khan

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1270392774601433088