Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There was a ReOpen NJ protest at Point Pleasent today

This is New Jersey rep Joe Pennacchio

He spoke at the event and goddamn

christ I feel like I’m living in a horror movie, like these sound bytes are being played over the footage from a few months from now of mass graves being filled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Crazypoops posted:

You can't convince me America isn't 95% demons in human costumes

it invented mass consumerism, baby. if desire isn't the devil, what is

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Inceltown posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisEgginton/status/1265152722363314182

lmao

2.5 months till the roni bomb goes off. Everyone is a potential suicide bomber and they don't even know it.

lol I was all ready to be ‘hey this has to just be authorities being dumb right’ but it’s the second person to pull this poo poo??

lol

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

starting work tomorrow and I’m nervous. bought some fully sealed goggles that look like scuba goggles and work is providing n95 masks. I’m a dentist. wish me luck.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

The replies on his thread are so loving depressing. People ranting about 5G, getting pissed about HCQ being called out, calling it all a hoax. The really sad thing is that there are some people on the thread that really have no clue what’s up and are asking sincere questions but they get drowned out by “plandemic.”

Like there was one post that probably best represents the majority of America. They either don’t have a comprehensive education, or have one and didn’t pay attention to anything about diseases, or have been fed misinformation and trying to just understand what’s up. The guy was asking whether covid-19 had some threshold where he had to get exposed a number of times for it to built up enough to catch it or whether he could get sick from one exposure. He seemed really sincere about the question too. Like maybe he has to be around people and knows he probably got exposed or will get exposed and is hoping he can keep it firm building up to get him sick.

That’s the kind of person that all this misinformation is so dangerous to. it’s not dangerous to the libertarian who gives no shits about anything but his drugs and money. it’s not dangerous to the trumpet who will ignore any bad words about her big strong president’s proven HCQ and Zinc treatment. it’s dangerous to the person that doesn’t know any better but really wants to. That’s the person who is most of America.

But what if we monetized the rot?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Piggy Smalls posted:

starting work tomorrow and I’m nervous. bought some fully sealed goggles that look like scuba goggles and work is providing n95 masks. I’m a dentist. wish me luck.

That's rough. Good luck.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

VectorSigma posted:

D R ₊ H E Λ L

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Nocturtle posted:

Reminds me of this article on potential airborne transmission 2004 SARs outbreak and this picture:

The full implications of airborne germs on how we should organize living and working spaces are scary to consider. These half-measures underscore how we basically have to ignore them.

Is the virus actually airborne? I saw a research paper that had successfully kept COVID19 viable suspended in a little vial of air for many hours IIRC. But then then WHO announced that no, it is absolutely not airborne, just droplets that fall only. Then the choir practice outbreaks had a huge infection rate, which again suggests airborne, and there was all that talk in China about improper drain plumbing and fecal gasses spreading it. Which is it? Does anyone have any other evidence on this?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

1024x768 posted:

they forgot the word "paid" in the tweet

She's 100% getting fired, who gives a poo poo if she makes a few extra days of base salary? No Q2 bonus and no YE bonus. They're running everything through legal and HR and she'll be out the door in no time

This is one less person they're gonna have to lay off later in the year and it's a pretty clear cut violation of whatever written corporate ethics standard they have

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Piggy Smalls posted:

Ugh, dentistry sounds like the worst place to be for this too. Good luck

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Theiry: The whole 5G causes/activated Covid (not sure what exactly these nutters claim, I don't care enough about that to do research) is making all anti 5G sentiments look bad. Soon when people argue against some factor of 5G they will be branded an idiot. This would also mean that anybody saying they are uncomfortable with Chinese hardware in 5G networks is disregarded as a loon.

If there was any 5G conspiracy at all, then it would probably be exactly this so China can install its horrible spyware because people associate 5G concerns with complete lunatics from now on. :tinfoil:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Is the virus actually airborne? I saw a research paper that had successfully kept COVID19 viable suspended in a little vial of air for many hours IIRC. But then then WHO announced that no, it is absolutely not airborne, just droplets that fall only. Then the choir practice outbreaks had a huge infection rate, which again suggests airborne, and there was all that talk in China about improper drain plumbing and fecal gasses spreading it. Which is it? Does anyone have any other evidence on this?

Basically the more prolonged your contact with an infected person is and the more the infected person is doing intense respiratory activity the more dangerous things are.

I think the best point to compare this with is the secondary household attack rate: somewhere around 10-20% of housemates get infected from another infected person in their household. This is low, it's lower than the attack rate in group fitness activities and much lower than the attack rate on choirs.

So it definitely can transmit long distances, as in the case of choirs, but there's more to it. I tend to speculate that the minimum infectious dose is the other key ingredient here. The more ACE2 expression you have (i.e. the older you are mostly), the lower the required initial dose to infect you is. So for younger people you need more sustained contact but for older people a more transient dose is all it takes.

If you're outdoors running, you're unlikely to be by someone long enough to get dosed and you're unlikely to dose someone. Standing in line behind someone having a coughing fit? That might be long enough. In the same gym as an infected person that's doing cardio for an hour? Uh oh. In the same household as an infected person that's quarantined in their room and only breathing and coughing far away from you? Maybe not that bad actually.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Hopper posted:

Theiry: The whole 5G causes/activated Covid (not sure what exactly these nutters claim, I don't care enough about that to do research) is making all anti 5G sentiments look bad. Soon when people argue against some factor of 5G they will be branded an idiot. This would also mean that anybody saying they are uncomfortable with Chinese hardware in 5G networks is disregarded as a loon.

If there was any 5G conspiracy at all, then it would probably be exactly this so China can install its horrible spyware because people associate 5G concerns with complete lunatics from now on. :tinfoil:

My conspiracy theory is that most conspiracy theories are created to make any legitimate critical discussion of something impossible.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It seems entirely circumstantial. If you're doing something aerosolizes respiratory droplets, like singing, you're going to get an aerosolized dispersal pattern. This is no different than weaponized delivery systems for biological weapons: you get a wider, more persistent spread if you have a way to get the suspension medium aerosolized into very tiny droplets. The virus can ride on those if they're being created, which is not always true.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

gas gas gas!!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dumb Lowtax posted:

we literally do not know for sure. all of the 100s of studies and clinical trials are currently ongoing and they're just going to take time to complete and then come to any sort of scientific consensus.

fosborb posted:

here's a pretty succinct summery of the current knowns/unknowns. I happen to know a colleague of hers at the CDC (a fellow MPH working in infectious diseases) who also agrees with this assessment:

https://twitter.com/meganranney/status/1264589288659922945

we are trending toward indoors, prolonged exposure is the actual danger, but nothing is solidified enough to say what the risk actually is for curbside take out, homemade masks, or playgrounds.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

How will we tell the difference?

A friend showed me this movie and, I cannot stress this enough, I really didn’t enjoy it and after the movie he asked what I thought and I said something like it was very fast paced and inventive but not really my cup of tea. Then I sat through a second viewing so he could point out all the great things about the movie, it was not a great time but I pretended my opinion had improved so I wouldn’t be pressured into watching it a third time. I cannot imagine willingly watching that movie four times but it’s great that someone enjoys it. Also, he had a whole room of Phantom Menace toys that he was keeping in the boxes as an investment. Hope that guy’s doing okay.

imo it's okay to not like things

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There was a ReOpen NJ protest at Point Pleasent today

This is New Jersey rep Joe Pennacchio

He spoke at the event and goddamn

quote:

and at one point a speaker urged everyone to "reach out and touch someone," prompting hugs among those in attendance.

gently caress that, I would not feel safe at that event even pre-covid

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

fosborb posted:

we are trending toward indoors, prolonged exposure is the actual danger, but nothing is solidified enough to say what the risk actually is for curbside take out, homemade masks, or playgrounds.

There have been outdoors outbreaks but the ratio compared to indoors is extreme, like 100 indoor outbreaks for each single outdoor outbreak. I've also been waiting to see a fomite-driven outbreak but haven't found a single one. I know there was a McDonald's outbreak from a delivery driver in Melbourne but as far as I can tell that was driven from in person transmission.

If contaminated surfaces were an attack vector then surely we would have contact traced cases where the index patient is a delivery worker or a cook at a specific restaurant (like typhoid mary), but those sort of outbreaks just aren't occurring.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nocturtle posted:

Reminds me of this article on potential airborne transmission 2004 SARs outbreak and this picture:

The full implications of airborne germs on how we should organize living and working spaces are scary to consider. These half-measures underscore how we basically have to ignore them.

lol at this virus plume

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

My conspiracy theory is that most conspiracy theories are created to make any legitimate critical discussion of something impossible.

Conspiracy theories are created to make actual legitimate theories more credible is definitely a take.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If contaminated surfaces were an attack vector then surely we would have contact traced cases where the index patient is a delivery worker or a cook at a specific restaurant (like typhoid mary), but those sort of outbreaks just aren't occurring.

i agree, but no one has been able to study it enough at this point to say this is the specific rate these types of transmissions are occurring (be it 0.0001% or otherwise). it's real lovely :(

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

fosborb posted:

we literally do not know for sure. all of the 100s of studies and clinical trials are currently ongoing and they're just going to take time to complete and then come to any sort of scientific consensus.

Then why did the WHO announce definitively that it is not aerosol in that big headline. Like what were they thinking. If that's wrong is that a huge scandal for an organization that's otherwise been more correct than the CDC?

Or was it a matter of the article saying something that's technically a little different from the sensational headline I remember?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Then why did the WHO announce definitively that it is not aerosol in that big headline. Like what were they thinking. If that's wrong is that a huge scandal for an organization that's otherwise been more correct than the CDC?

Or was it a matter of the article saying something that's technically a little different from the sensational headline I remember?

wasn't that months ago?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dumb Lowtax posted:

i mean gently caress dude, if you're looking for answers like that on SA no one is going to be able to credibly help you

here's the latest from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0522-cdc-updates-covid-transmission.html

a personal friend of mine vouches for it, so it falls within my personal risk assessment to say we cant say for sure it isn't spread other ways too. primary way is stay out of the plume of a church singer.

but maybe lets keep the playground equipment roped off for a bit as well.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

There are dumb scientific meanings behind the term "airborne" when applied to disease transmission. Virions have to be able to cling to dry condensation nuclei on the air and float along with them to be truly airborne. Tiny respiratory droplets that linger on the air don't meet this criteria. They're too wet. That's it. That's the difference.

Also truly airborne viruses can have absurd spread rates, like chickenpox or measles.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
my toddler had a 20 minute tantrum because we drove by a playground that was no longer roped off and a bunch of kids were playing on it because we've opened er up!

there was a post in this thread yesterday from some d&d poster that said public health policy doesn't matter -- only personal compliance, and we need to have soft influence and social pressure and NGOs providing food to stay in rather than fines to enforce compliance so we dont piss off the chuds.

public health policy absolutely loving matters. holy poo poo

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

fosborb posted:

my toddler had a 20 minute tantrum because we drove by a playground that was no longer roped off and a bunch of kids were playing on it because we've opened er up!

there was a post in this thread yesterday from some d&d poster that said public health policy doesn't matter -- only personal compliance, and we need to have soft influence and social pressure and NGOs providing food to stay in rather than fines to enforce compliance so we dont piss off the chuds.

public health policy absolutely loving matters. holy poo poo

20 minutes? weak effort imo

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

:rip: brasil

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1265068890234785793

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 08:59 on May 26, 2020

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

RandomBlue posted:

Conspiracy theories are created to make actual legitimate theories more credible is definitely a take.

I thought his point was that you can't have any kind of debate about something that is the subject of a bunch of conspiracy theories because you get lumped in with the lunatics. For example a proper study that suggested 5G did cause some sort of health problem would never get taken seriously no matter how rigorous and well designed it was because fucktards think it spreads coronavirus.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Solarin posted:

20 minutes? weak effort imo

it absolutely was, but after the 20 mins is slaughterhouse rules which gets way more dramatic very very quickly

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

thx to castle and open carry laws i've killed all covid-19 molecules in my neighborhood.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Scary! Too posted:

https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1264035521057050624

The guy working from home is urging people to get exposed

:lol: that thumbnail, Neiman Marcus and JC Penny are already buckled and going to bankrupt, nothing like liquidation sales :toot:

oxsnard posted:

Internet reviews for doctors are notoriously unreliable but also lol

:lol: People will complain about anything and everything to anyone anywhere. They'll also lie and exaggerate to discredit decent doctors because there's no real way you speak to their manager.

Imagine being racist enough to travel an additional half hour on your own dime because your doctor is too brown to trust.

Also the only people who comment about doctors are people complaining about them. Otherwise they're complaining that all the white doctors in their area are booked solid for months on end and they need to see a doctor next week and get me your manager if you can't make that appointment.

But generally lovely doctors don't last long, they get ripped a new one from affiliated health insurance companies over "patient care" and that's a paycheck they can't afford to cut unless they're niche, extremely specialty, or making bank from wealthy clients.

:hmbol:

There's a reason why the "they killed my dog all options are on the table" is a trope in America, because people will ruin you over treating your pet as bad as ICE treats immigrants.

Skull Servant posted:

While this is good, the Chief Medical Officer was very adamant that the only reason we had no recorded deaths today was because of the weekend effect. We are still above 50 cases a day and will probably be in double digits for another week or so.

That's also ignoring the deaths and cases in Northern Ireland. The border is completely open and areas around the border are the hardest hit because of this/the absolutely awful British response.

Villages in India barricaded roads and refused travelers with grassroots vigilante mobs, I think Ireland might have slightly better organizational skills to fend off the English plaguebearers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The off-leash dog owner who tried to sicc the cops on that guy has issued an apology and she's trying to claim that she wasn't aware that cops shoot black people

quote:

"I sincerely and humbly apologize to everyone, especially to that man, his family," she said in a phone call. "It was unacceptable and I humbly and fully apologize to everyone who’s seen that video, everyone that’s been offended…everyone who thinks of me in a lower light and I understand why they do."

"When I think about the police, I’m such a blessed person. I’ve come to realize especially today that I think of [the police] as a protection agency, and unfortunately, this has caused me to realize that there are so many people in this country that don’t have that luxury," she continued.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...FlowTwt_NYBrand

:thunk:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Damage control. She already said too much of the truth of her intent in the video. I'm gonna tell them you're African American

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Damage control. She already said too much of the truth of her intent in the video. I'm gonna tell them you're African American

Yeah she's blatantly lying

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So um. Lately I've been having short term memory issues that bug the hell out of me. It's not a new thing, but it's happening more, and I get more and more irritated lately by it to the point of ruining my day over trying to get myself back on track. I have OCD so I just can't handle it when it happens. Bad insomnia and fatigue lately too, from racing thoughts and nightmares.

Today I think I figured out why my health's going downhill in so many ways. I weighed myself at 124lbs today. I'm a man. I lost 7 pounds in exactly a month. I'm malnourished now, cool. I guess I can't make my own food for poo poo. Before this I ate out a lot, but I've been locked down since March 6th to a much greater extent than everyone I've heard of. One grocery trip per month, hermetically sealed in one place otherwise. So yeah, weigh yourselves, folks. And make food more often even if it means not making a big skilled production out of it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Australia has let another roni boat in.

https://twitter.com/Sophiemcneill/status/1265150141809389568

The current PM even had these made to hand out to people and this is the second plague ship he's let through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inceltown posted:

Australia has let another roni boat in.

https://twitter.com/Sophiemcneill/status/1265150141809389568

The current PM even had these made to hand out to people and this is the second plague ship he's let through.

The federal Minister for Agriculture is already backpedalling like crazy and trying to avert blame, first going "Oh we knew they were unwell but we didn't know they were SICK" and then going "No someone totally sent the guys in WA an email about it, once we check the records and find it we'll show it to you!"

quote:

But Mr Littleproud told Nine Radio's 6PR it wasn't until May 22 after the Al Kuwait had berthed in Fremantle that the ship notified the federal government a crew member had an elevated temperature and was showing symptoms of the disease.

"On the 20th of May they did notify that three people were sick but they didn't have any elevated temperatures and having sick people on boats is pretty par to the course sitting on a ship for a number of days," he said.

"It wasn't until the 22nd of May that in fact, the ship themselves notified the Department of Agriculture that someone had an elevated temperature and was showing symptoms.

"At that point, the Department of Agriculture immediately notifies the WA Department of Health, which it did."

Mr Littleproud said he had asked his department to provide the email sent to the WA Department of Health but was confident all the correct protocols were adhered to and warned against "elevating" the language around the issue.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...526-p54wkx.html

For an extra dollop of spice: there's going to be a 3 month moratorium on live exports out of Australia starting next week and quarantining the ship before allowing it to dock would have no doubt cost someone a shitload of money so the timing on all this is verrrrry suspicious