Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

I’m seeing one big steampunk bike in my mind’s eye

And it’s not good

All The Gears All The Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Twin turbo diesel hydrostatic drive bike with air suspension? All of your hours and dreams: https://youtu.be/humZvaGnlsw

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You'll probably get the suggestion from YouTube after you watch the video pun pundit linked, but that bike (slightly updated) was on an episode of Diesel Brothers. Looks like he added some particulate filters to the exhaust so it wasn't rolling coal everywhere it went.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Has anyone ever built a motorcycle with a hydraulic drive? Like a pump on the side of the engine and an in-hub hydraulic motor on the swingarm and power transmitted through hydraulic hoses. Instead of a transmission you could have valves and torque converters. All the moving parts would be sealed.

I'd get a kick out of it

I thought the DN-01 but it has a hydraulic transmission.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hydrostatic transmissions are notoriously not smooth. They put power down abruptly and take it away in the same manner. They don’t really have an ability to coast that doesn’t involve putting the drive unit in neutral.

Source: many hours driving a forklift with a hydro drive

I’m sure it’s a solvable problem, and I’m sure not every hydro drive is like a forklift but.........

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honda have a hydrostatic quad. For some reason they chose to generate the hydraulic pressure using the normal looking engine oil pump mounted in the normal place below the crank, driven the normal way by an untensioned small pitch chain. I know this because I had to replace the chain for the guy when it hopped off and stranded him in a paddock.

I don't know the exact details of how the thing worked but I know this: it said hydro on the side and the thing wouldn't move forward until I replaced the pump chain, nothing else was touched. I'm assuming it was some sort of hybrid auto trans using engine oil pressure for the valve body and torque converter.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 22, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I don't plan to use my Ninja 250 in the next few months, what would be the proper way to drain the fuel?

I'm thinking I shut off the petcock, unclip the fuel line from petcock, attach an aux line instead then let that drain into a jerry can
Run the bike until it dies of starvation
Drain the floats by opening the drain valve
Call it a day

Am I way off base?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The NC700 seems like the perfect bike for a hydraulic drive. It's got basically the engine from a Honda Fit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

If I don't plan to use my Ninja 250 in the next few months, what would be the proper way to drain the fuel?

I'm thinking I shut off the petcock, unclip the fuel line from petcock, attach an aux line instead then let that drain into a jerry can
Run the bike until it dies of starvation
Drain the floats by opening the drain valve
Call it a day

Am I way off base?

I wouldn't start the bike at all, just drain the bowls using the drain screws. If your petcock has a prime setting use that, if not you'll have to set it to reserve and operate the vacuum diaphragm with your choice of suction generator.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I have a prime setting so I’ll run that, thanks. The fuel was stabilized way back when but I guess if I won’t be running it there’s no point in keeping it in there.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I think I have a prime setting so I’ll run that, thanks. The fuel was stabilized way back when but I guess if I won’t be running it there’s no point in keeping it in there.

Fuel keeps air out which carries moisture and rusts the inside of the tank. I always figured it best to store the tank full with some stabilizer, but drain the carb bowls.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont drain your carbs

Dont Drain Your Carbs

DONT DRAIN YOUR CARBS

Its an old wives tale born from people not draining their carbs and then letting the bike sit for 20 years and coming back and being all "HOLYSHIT GUESS I SHOULD HAVE DRAINED THE CARBS HUH?"

If the bike is going to be sitting for a bit, just leave it with the stabilized gas, as mentioned it keeps air and moisture out, which will make for more problems than stabilized fuel will. Now if you're saying "this bike is sitting until 2030 at the earliest" then its a different story

e: and especially dont drain your tank unless you own stock in evaporust

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuh no. Drain the bowls. Even a months' worth of sitting can gently caress things up depending on your petrol. There is literally no reason not to.

Like yeah there's a solid argument in favor of filling the tank to the brim but carbs are exposed to atmosphere so it makes no sense, at best you'll be left with some petrol-smelling stuff that won't burn and you'll drain the bowls anyway.

I'll phrase it differently:

Number of bikes I've had to work on because someone drained the bowls: 0.

Number of bikes I've had to work on because someone didn't drain the bowls: 9,976,989,000 and counting.

And while I'm here: if you have a modern bike your tank won't rust up because it's hermetically sealed when there's no pressure differential and all the holes are shut, done it many many times with no issues living in one of the most clammy moist countries in earth but ymmv

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 23, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Definitely drain the bowl. After cleaning out the carb of the horror xr100 my dad bought and then having to do my 300 xcw after forgetting to turn the pet cock to off before winter ...

Don’t let it sit there with pump gas in it

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Dont drain your carbs

Dont Drain Your Carbs

DONT DRAIN YOUR CARBS
I don't think I'm with you on this. Old gas congeals into weird non-liquid forms. Keeping gas tanks full is legit because it's a mostly sealed container and you can fill it with gas which displaces air and humidity with the air. Carbs cannot be filled to displace air, there's always air in them. So keeping old gas out of them is helpful. But also not necessary. Just keep stabilizer in the gas or use non-ethanol.

Unless, as was said, the bike is going to sit for years. Then it's good to get the gas out of the whole bike entirely and you might want to spray WD40 into the tank or something like that to prevent rust.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK so like in all seriousness I don’t see myself touching the bike in 2020 so

Drain bowls yes
Drain tank no

I can live with that.

I will probably pull it out if I decide to do baby’s first track day next year, or end up selling it. Even then, new gas is cheap so as long as it doesn’t separate and rust my tank I guess I’m fine if I have to drain it next year.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 23, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

And while I'm here: if you have a modern bike your tank won't rust up because it's hermetically sealed when there's no pressure differential and all the holes are shut, done it many many times with no issues living in one of the most clammy moist countries in earth but ymmv

If you leave it half-full in an area with big temperature swings fuel evaporating and cooling will draw *some* air in, but I suspect that particular bit of wisdom is based on older systems with effectively an open vent to atmosphere which would speed the process up a lot.

Best excuse I've heard for doing it though is "Not like it's gonna be any loving cheaper when you do go to fill it up, is it?".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

OK so like in all seriousness I don’t see myself touching the bike in 2020 so

Drain bowls yes
Drain tank no

I can live with that.

I will probably pull it out if I decide to do baby’s first track day next year, or end up selling it. Even then, new gas is cheap so as long as it doesn’t separate and rust my tank I guess I’m fine if I have to drain it next year.

If you do leave it with a full tank, give the fuel a good stir (with a wooden stick, or just shake the bike/tank a bit) just in case the fuel has separated a bit or sediment has settled out of it. Not essential, but not a bad insurance thing.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I have two sweet ATC's in my garage right now that my buddy bought because they "just ran last winter" that both had the slides glued into the carb body by ethanol gas

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just fill the tank all the way with non ethanol gas if you can find it, put in fuel stabilizer, and start it once a week and let it warm up, maybe take it around the block if it's nice.
The shop I worked at used to store about a hundred bikes over the winter and it was never a problem.

Incidentally I never had to spend more than 15 minutes doing the post-winter "tune up" on any of them because I knew the bikes all ran great like a few days before, whereas the customers that kept their own bikes at home and didn't pay for storage wound up spending twice the storage fee in carb cleans air filters and replacing whatever rubber seals poo poo the bed while they didn't touch it for 6 months.

If you're going into long storage (longer than a year) you could go all out and fill the bowls with seafoam and then pour about a third of the can into the full gas tank. Disconnect the battery, and remove the air filter (in case rodents decide to nest) and be done with it.
This is assuming your bike will not sit out at below freezing for a whole winter or will be stored in an area where it doesn't get to like -20. In which case you might want to do something about the cooling system so you don't pop a hose or crack a block.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marty said the gas was stabilized, so it shouldn’t be congealing into anything for a good while. Which is why I’m on the don’t drain them train.

If it was untreated then yeah probably drain it

E: to be very clear, I’m with you guys if the gas is untreated. Drain it if it’s going to sit. If it’s treated though? I’ve let bikes sit for more than a year with treated gas and they’ve fired up fine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

All this apocryphal carb bullshit, man... #fuelinjectedlyfe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I too choose to cut myself off from decades of awesome bikes over fuel delivery.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Eh. gently caress 'em. I'm lazy, EFI is easy to maintain and I can deal with choppy low-end throttle/pulling my ECU and paying someone to flash it or flashing it myself. My admittedly limited experience with carb maintenance and tuning was pretty much all bad.

The smooth throttle response on a well-tuned carb is really nice, though.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Rate my Sprockets

Leaning towards 'marginal' for the rear, and 'dangerously hosed' for the front.

I didn't get my front sprocket in time for the weekend and was hoping just to replace the chain. Looks like it'd be a waste to do that, right?

Don't look at my chain condition, I will take better care of the next one :(

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Is the front ambidextrous? Just flip it.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Aren't sprockets only a problem if the teeth start becoming visibly asymmetric, like a cartoon shark fin? I'm an idiot on the internet, but I always thought that was the criterion. (Either that or they become sharp and pointy at the top, which yours don't seem to have done either)

Edit: ok I guess they are kind of asymmetric, now that I look closer.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 23, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are hosed and it is entirely your fault Bernie :argh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mirconium posted:

Aren't sprockets only a problem if the teeth start becoming visibly asymmetric, like a cartoon shark fin? I'm an idiot on the internet, but I always thought that was the criterion.

I mean, that’s MY criterion.

I once ran a sprocket so long the shark fins rounded off into nubs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've heard you can get a lot more life out of the chain and rear sprocket by changing the front sprocket before they get that worn, the explanation being that fronts wear much sooner because they're smaller, so while all three parts cover the same distance the wear is more concentrated on the front sprocket.

Swapping the front sprocket isn't hard and they're only :10bux: a pop, so I threw a couple in with my order of engine oil just now to do whenever I can get around to it.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 23, 2020

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I just paid $35 for an OEM Honda front sprocket, dammit

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That thing ain’t even shark finned or making hooks yet, it’s got another few thousand miles on it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Agreed. It looks fine. If you put a chain onto a few teeth of the sprocket and hold the sprocket in place, you shouldn't be able to slide the chain forward or back much if any at all. It should feel locked into the sprocket.

A healthy sprocket should have a clearly symmetrical tooth with a machined face and some thickness on the top of the tooth in both length and width. The deep rounded sections should be round, not oblong or pill shaped. Once they get thin, sharp and asymmetrical (look like curved share fins) with deep out of round grooves, it's done.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Putting barkbusters on my 690, I discovered the dealership put the throttle body on way off center so the throttle tube ended about 4" past the handlebar. I actually don't know how I didn't notice riding it home.

Is there any (competent) reason they would do this? Think I should I go to a different dealership for the first service?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
no. yes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Putting barkbusters on my 690, I discovered the dealership put the throttle body on way off center so the throttle tube ended about 4" past the handlebar. I actually don't know how I didn't notice riding it home.

Is there any (competent) reason they would do this? Think I should I go to a different dealership for the first service?

I wouldn't recommend having a dealer do a first service period. you're gonna get charged a couple hundred for an oil change that'll cost you maybe $60 in materials and at least in the US your warranty can't be denied for you doing your own maintenance. also maxima is cheaper oil and is a very good motorex substitute imho

totally your call, but if you do want a dealer to do it then I'd recommend going elsewhere since uncrating a bike isn't exactly a valve adjustment and I like to trust the people who work on my things

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Oh hell no then, I was entirely gonna do it for warranty reasons. That is extremely good info, thank you

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Oh hell no then, I was entirely gonna do it for warranty reasons. That is extremely good info, thank you

of course! I did my first service myself as did my brother. he had his fuel pump + filter swapped under warranty with no issues or pushback. same with his rotors as KTM has had some issues with their OEM brembos for quite some time. my running joke is that he got a friday bike while mine was definitely a wednesday bike :D

for a first service I really recommend just changing your two filters and oil. service manual will state to "check" the screens, but oil change kits will run you ~$100 since they include replacement screens as well as oil and filters

only other thing you need to do is check all your fluid heights and then check the tightness of all your external fasteners. shouldn't be more than a three beer job :D

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

That's terrifying. What else got messed up if they didn't even care to put that on right. Probably felt a little resistance and called it. Don't KTM have drilled bars so you'd have to have it lined up so the pin goes in?

I wish they let the buyer uncrate and assemble themselves for this reason, if asked. My friend wanted to uncrate his FZ09 himself, and the dealer was having none of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

Don't KTM have drilled bars so you'd have to have it lined up so the pin goes in?

correct, but that’s only on the left side. still pretty inexcusable to not just install it correctly

Coydog posted:

I wish they let the buyer uncrate and assemble themselves for this reason, if asked. My friend wanted to uncrate his FZ09 himself, and the dealer was having none of it.

lol I asked the same thing when I bought mine. got a hearty chuckle, but no dice. KTMs a bit weirder with their activations and connection with the mothership in austria though so it’s a bummer yamaha wouldn’t do it either :(