Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DNK posted:

Mega* shark. Minishark is useless on Hardmode.
Megashark requires the Destroyer's drop to craft, so I'd have to get past it first. Star Cannon? I don't mind farming up exactly enough falling stars for one boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

The Minishark does very little damage per shot, but the incredibly fast rate of fire and the baked-in 1/3 chance to not use ammo make it a pretty drat powerful weapon at that stage in the game.

Since you can fill your ammo slots with 4*999 bullets at a time, ammo micro is really not a concern.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I haven't played since 1.3 so I jumped back in because update cool. Just starting Hardmode and my sword feels like it's falling off fast against bosses. What's the least lovely ranged option - by which I mean, less micro to maintain ammo, not constrained hard by mana regen, etc - available pre-mechanical bosses?

The Wizard can be found at the start of hardmode, and you can craft the endless musket ball pouch at that time, with 3996 musket balls at the Crystal Ball that he sells. Same for arrows, with 3996 for the endless quiver.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Megashark requires the Destroyer's drop to craft, so I'd have to get past it first. Star Cannon? I don't mind farming up exactly enough falling stars for one boss fight.

Comedy option: make the arena floor of explosive proof blocks and use dynamite, like the speedrunners do.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Megashark sucks, get the onyx blaster

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The Onyx Blaster shotgun is the first and easiest Hardmode weapon.

Golden Shower (if Crimson) is a godlike, forever-useful craftable magic weapon.

Amarok (+Yoyo bag), random tundra drop, is also useful for cheese-killing monsters you have no right defeating (like Hallowed Mimics and/or Golems).

Those are pre-mechanical.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
This Nimbus spell is super silly, especially for what is apparently a really rare drop. I was running into a wall vs the Destroyer with my expert magic weapon character (Cobalt/Orichalcum/Titanium/Corruption) because I kept being overwhelmed by probes. But stacking a clinger wall, two rain clouds, and meteor staff spam seemed to kill them while they were still being generated while also nuking his HP. I’d ignored Nimbus initially, because it makes it rain, whoopee, but apparently it’s raining death acid or something with how much damage it does.

It’s a pity the destroyer drops nothing for a magic user beyond Hallowed bars, because this won’t work well on the Twins or Skeletron Prime. So far magic user is pretty fun, I think I’m going to try whips and summoning as well, once I beat the twins.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ambaire posted:

The Wizard can be found at the start of hardmode, and you can craft the endless musket ball pouch at that time, with 3996 musket balls at the Crystal Ball that he sells. Same for arrows, with 3996 for the endless quiver.
Didn't know these existed, that plus the Onyx Blaster looks like exactly what I'm looking for (unless I mise an Uzi drop but while I'm dicking around getting spores for the Void Bag that I also didn't know existed, it's 1% so that's unlikely), so thank you, this is perfect!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gimmick Account posted:

Wait, it has to be dark, too? poo poo, there go my urban beautification plans...

Regarding gem trees, I've discovered that gemspark walls don't seem to affect their growth. With this setup,

after half a day (of sleeping in a bed, love that feature), this many trees grew of a full row of planting.

Seems unaffected, right?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Best ranged weapon pre-mechs is an Adamantite/Titanium repeater and Holy Arrows from farming Pixie Dust and Unicorn Horns

Alternatively, if you get a Goblin Invasion you can hope for a Shadowflame Knife which is a melee ranged weapon that shreds

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
What if gemspark trees grow faster in light from gemspark blocks/walls? And even faster if it's light of their type? Has anyone tested this? Or is the wiki based on the decompiled code and this definitely isn't a thing? Fully half of the amber trees I replanted have grown in ~8hours ingame under the light of diamond gemspark walls.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
As far as I can tell, the gem trees only grow in darkness, the more light that touches them the slower they grow. As you can see the light from the gemspark walls barely reaches them, a torch right near the sapling would stop it growing completely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I can see why people feel the need to do trench everything, with the Dryad being a character with a built in feature to seemingly warn you that your world is getting more corrupt. I wish they had just never implemented that. There'd be none of this trench digging and nobody would have thought of deserts and ice gaining an additional biome as a bad thing. Houses, you can't really do anything about anyway because of the V upon hardmode.

It would still be a bad biome worth minimizing. It's ugly, it spreads, and being in it sucks. Not to mention constantly spawns weak, annoying and persistent enemies. The fact that it spreads is enough to contain it, Dryad doesn't need to tell us to do that or not.

Is there a trick to getting Money Trough or just gambling during blood moons with whatever comes your way?

I'd also like to do some magic but all I have so far is a slime staff that doesn't really use magic outside of the summoning itself once. I also got an amusing snake-charmer pot thing that basically let's me summon a temporary rope. Not worth inventory slot to carry around, since, you know, I have rope.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Khanstant posted:

Is there a trick to getting Money Trough or just gambling during blood moons with whatever comes your way?
Do it in a non-expert world and use water candles and battle potions to up the spawn rate as far as you can. Bloody Tears now drop during blood moons and can be used to summon a blood moon event at will. They're easy to get from certain enemies, and once you have one you can get plenty more at will.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Velius posted:

So far magic user is pretty fun, I think I’m going to try whips and summoning as well, once I beat the twins.

I usually go summoner and the new whips feel pretty good. It's nice to have a spammable attack that scales with summon damage now. Having said that I still use magic for ichor and/or more range. Whips do have range, but it can get dangerous with some bosses.

A few tips with whips:
- It's melee so you can use feral claw/titan glove upgrade for autoattacking to save yourself the carpal tunnel syndrome. Especially good for the whips that buff their own attack speed on hit.
- It has a wide range that doesn't bypass walls EXCEPT it hits enemies that themselves bypass walls (wraiths, ghosts, skulls in dungeon, maneaters)
- Don't rely on the tag to work, minion AI is still atrocious sometimes.

Speaking of minions don't just look at their damage numbers and take the highest, always consider their attack speed patters, aggression, target acquisition range and other quirks like not being able to attack under water. Some minions can also be cast at range past walls, and they will start attacking from a safe range (can only do this with the latest minion unless you rightclick to remove the buff and recast them all). For example the hardmode enchanted sword minion has the lowest damage, but attacks really fast, has an excellent acquisition range, you can hug a wall and they will aquire targets outside (because they float and rotate above you, they will all go aggro, unlike Sanguine bats which float but dont rotate, so only a corner of them have LoS), they will also acquire new targets based on where they are (to an extent) instead of what is actually in your own LoS and to top it off they also have innate damage penetration.

In the end though take what feels good to you

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So long long ago before 1.2 I made ”project noah” where I linked a pump stack to the ocean and flooded the entire world pre-hardmode. This was not as fun as it first Seems, since it extensively limits the spawns available.

However I just got my lava shark mount and am feeling a tingle for flooding at least part of the map. Any easy ways to use pumps for reliable and somewhat fast water multiplication? Speed isnt the issue, automaation is So I can just leave the system on overnight and flood the world.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 26, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tombot posted:

As far as I can tell, the gem trees only grow in darkness, the more light that touches them the slower they grow. As you can see the light from the gemspark walls barely reaches them, a torch right near the sapling would stop it growing completely.

I added a row of diamond gemspark wall just above the fence, completely harvested and replanted the area, and slept away the next 24 hours.

Doesn't seem to have affected the growth at all.

So yeah, gemspark walls seem to be a good way to harmlessly illuminate a gemcorn tree farm.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 26, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I'd also like to do some magic but all I have so far is a slime staff that doesn't really use magic outside of the summoning itself once. I also got an amusing snake-charmer pot thing that basically let's me summon a temporary rope. Not worth inventory slot to carry around, since, you know, I have rope.

There's a couple of magic staffs you can find in chests and stuff, but you can also create one using metal and gems. More valuable gems make for a stronger staff.

And once you reach the dungeon, take a careful look at all the books there - some of them are a different item that you may find useful.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ambaire posted:

I added a row of diamond gemspark wall just above the fence, completely harvested and replanted the area, and slept away the next 24 hours.

Doesn't seem to have affected the growth at all.

So yeah, gemspark walls seem to be a good way to harmlessly illuminate a gemcorn tree farm.

see, i'm just looking at this and thinking 'hey, a forest of these would make for a dope underground cityspace'

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Iterating on my thought of "WALL THE WORLD" but in a small scale, I have successfully walled off an area ~310 by ~95, for the purpose of gemcorn tree farming for now, but other uses later (since it seems dye stuff can spawn on stone blocks with wall behind... hardmode strange plants anyone?).

Took ~30,000 stone slab walls, and I still have a chest of 15k stone blocks for more shenanigans. Dynamite is some seriously potent stuff for mass excavation of areas, and my fishing addiction pays for it and more. Crates have lots of money.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Beat Wall of Flesh for the first time ever! Holy crap is Hardmode hard though. I am dying left and right on Expert mode. I also turned on biome spread and they weren't kidding about how fast stuff spreads. My whole desert is now corruption and the hallow has gone wild on the other side of the world. Ended up losing my Arctic biome base since the corruption is too close now. Guess I'll have to clean it up when I get some time.

I ended up breaking 9 altars to spawn ore and made some cobalt gear. What should I be doing now? Fighting mechanical bosses? I'm at a bit of a loss.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

axeil posted:

I ended up breaking 9 altars to spawn ore and made some cobalt gear. What should I be doing now? Fighting mechanical bosses? I'm at a bit of a loss.
The cobalt -> mythril/orichalcum -> adamantite/titanium chain is pretty direct, since each pickaxe will let you mine the next one up, and gives you a noticeable jump in defense with the armors. I tend to just look around the ceiling of hell with a spelunker potion up and that gets me about enough. Then mechanical bosses.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
definitely take the time to get up the hardmode metal tech trees before trying the hardmode bosses; whereas in normal mode it's pretty easy to start doing bosses without getting gold or even silver armor, in hardmode damage starts rising dramatically and the way armor works in the game means that even a small armor deficit really hurts*, so you want every bit you can get

you may even want to talk to the goblin tinker and reforge all your trinkets into warding (+4 defense) forms. potions help a bit, thankfully the two best potions for your survivability are very easy to make (daybloom and iron/lead gives +8 defense, daybloom and a yellow mushroom gives more health regen), and the third-best isn't much harder (it's a fish from the cavern layer plus... blinkroot i think); for when you actually fight bosses you should make the potion that gives you more max health which needs a fish from the hallow (prismite?) and a bunch of herbs

also if you're on a crimson world, real quick start a corruption expert world and kill the eater of worlds for an extremely good trinket that just makes you take ~20% less damage

*it's just straight subtraction with a small % modifier depending on your difficulty level (armor matters more on higher difficulties, on lower ones there's more give to the numbers), so if an enemy hits for 100, 100 defense means it does almost nothing to you, 90 means it's dealing 10 a hit and might be a threat if you're careless, 80 means it only has to hit you 20 times to kill you, and so on

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 26, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Eh, sorta. Defense is calculated on a 2:1 ratio on normal(meaning 100 defense gives 50 damage reduction), 1.5:1 on expert(100 def is 75 damage reduction) and 1:1 on master.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the advanced combat techniques book that upgrades your NPCs stack or is it a one time thing?

Also is there a way to manually grow bamboo?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 26, 2020

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
On munki's master server I've switched to full menacing dps/dodge effects because armor just wasn't cutting it and things have definitely gone smoother

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Internet Kraken posted:

Does the advanced combat techniques book that upgrades your NPCs stack or is it a one time thing?

it's a one time thing, but while looking it up i discovered your npcs get buffed like that whenever you kill a new boss which was something i had no idea was a thing

e: apparently said buff and the book are both new to 1.4, which explains why i wasn't aware of them

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone have a working pump-based water duplication method for 1.4.x? I have a need to fill about a 300x200 space with water, for a cavern level 'ocean'.

Basically, from the top of the rock/black area (which is getting dynamited out) to the water flat area below.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

look all I want is to connect the ocean and Hell and create infinite obsidian, is that so much to ask?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best feature of Journey mode: you can force spawn the loving Traveling Merchant by pausing time in the morning. If you leave the world and come back he even rerolls his inventory

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The best feature of Journey mode: you can force spawn the loving Traveling Merchant by pausing time in the morning. If you leave the world and come back he even rerolls his inventory

You can set the time to dusk, make him go offscreen, he'll despawn, upon which you can set to dawn again and he'll come back with a refreshed inventory.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

President Ark posted:

definitely take the time to get up the hardmode metal tech trees before trying the hardmode bosses; whereas in normal mode it's pretty easy to start doing bosses without getting gold or even silver armor, in hardmode damage starts rising dramatically and the way armor works in the game means that even a small armor deficit really hurts*, so you want every bit you can get

you may even want to talk to the goblin tinker and reforge all your trinkets into warding (+4 defense) forms. potions help a bit, thankfully the two best potions for your survivability are very easy to make (daybloom and iron/lead gives +8 defense, daybloom and a yellow mushroom gives more health regen), and the third-best isn't much harder (it's a fish from the cavern layer plus... blinkroot i think); for when you actually fight bosses you should make the potion that gives you more max health which needs a fish from the hallow (prismite?) and a bunch of herbs

also if you're on a crimson world, real quick start a corruption expert world and kill the eater of worlds for an extremely good trinket that just makes you take ~20% less damage

*it's just straight subtraction with a small % modifier depending on your difficulty level (armor matters more on higher difficulties, on lower ones there's more give to the numbers), so if an enemy hits for 100, 100 defense means it does almost nothing to you, 90 means it's dealing 10 a hit and might be a threat if you're careless, 80 means it only has to hit you 20 times to kill you, and so on

Ah thanks for this. I've beaten every pre-hardmode boss on Expert, including the Brain of Cthulhu. Used the special seed for that. First Wall of Flesh kill was on Expert too! Beenades/The Bee's Knees rip that guy apart.

Any recommendations on weapons I should look for if I'm doing a Ranged (primarily bows) build with Melee backup? The Bee's Knees is incredible but it's starting to feel puny.

Also for a bit of info on biome spread, here's my world pre-hardmode:

And here it is after a few in-game days of hardmode :stare: :

I got very lucky that the Corruption "V" went through already existing Corruption. I think I'm going to need to build a firebreak for my Forest main base near the spawn and not rely on my Hellevator since the Hallow and Corruption are heading for it very quickly. My Ocean firebreak seems to have worked as did my Desert one. The Snow one worked...but the Corruption got so close half the village is uninhabitable. That really annoys me because I spent a lot of time pre-Hardmode adding snow/ice blocks to get it out of the bit of Corruption to the east only to now have it be invalid because of the Corruption to the west.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally built a new house floating above the old one.. the storage situation was getting crazy and I needed more chests to organize properly.

So many chests. I can't wait for Magic Storage and tmodloader for 1.4...

Old house almost completely empty, yay.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Of all the great QOL improvements made in this final patch, really unfortunate they didn't just put a click and drag method in for creating walls. There are still a few things that could have been tinkered with like that. Though I'm only just now trying the smart cursor and getting used to what it can do.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Watching a bunch of streamers of other games that have never played Terraria before experience it for the first time is pretty funny. Especially those playing hard/mediumcore not knowing what a world of pain it can be.

And I think the "one gravestone makes a cemetery" thing I thought I was experiencing was a result of the fact that removing a gravestone has a chance to summon a ghost which I didn't realize.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

No Safe Word posted:

Watching a bunch of streamers of other games that have never played Terraria before experience it for the first time is pretty funny. Especially those playing hard/mediumcore not knowing what a world of pain it can be.

And I think the "one gravestone makes a cemetery" thing I thought I was experiencing was a result of the fact that removing a gravestone has a chance to summon a ghost which I didn't realize.

I might be tempted to try a mediumcore challenge run, if the logic for getting gear back wasn't so pants on head stupid. In Minecraft, some of the gravestone mods put all your stuff in a gravestone and when the gravestone is broken, everything is restored to the slots it was in. In Terraria, it's 'lol who cares, splatter it across the entire inventory grid'. Completely unplayable.

Anyway. Does anyone know how much hardmode progression is required for the digger molecart? I'm thinking about building a minecart run across the world, but if it doesn't require killing mech bosses, I might wait until hardmode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Anyway. Does anyone know how much hardmode progression is required for the digger molecart? I'm thinking about building a minecart run across the world, but if it doesn't require killing mech bosses, I might wait until hardmode.
60% bestiary completion. It's also real slow, and having a minecart track is helpful for things like setting up your various housing outposts, so smart cursor, a builder potion, and a bunch of tracks should do.

EDIT: just build it in the air so you don't need to dig through anything.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

You can set the time to dusk, make him go offscreen, he'll despawn, upon which you can set to dawn again and he'll come back with a refreshed inventory.

Right, so I think setting to dawn just resets that day's events. I remember fighting the goblin army during the day and then clicking dawn to skip hanging around my base during the night or whatever...and then I had to fight that drat army again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tried taking on Master Destroyer with full titanium, crystal serpent and a whole lotta buff potions. It uh, didn't end super well.

I thought that bosses suppressed normal mob spawns then discovered the hard way that the bottom floor of my arena was covered in werewolves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Finally built a new house floating above the old one.. the storage situation was getting crazy and I needed more chests to organize properly.

So many chests. I can't wait for Magic Storage and tmodloader for 1.4...

This row of prisoners at the top is cracking me up, it's like they're just more items for the storage room. The bed on a shelf is also a nice touch.

Your use of the platforms/rope with that white block background looks really nice.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

This row of prisoners at the top is cracking me up, it's like they're just more items for the storage room. The bed on a shelf is also a nice touch.

Your use of the platforms/rope with that white block background looks really nice.
If there are doors open to the outside they can accidentally let enemies in. EDIT: hell once I get the mechanic I use actuators and weighted pressure plates in order to make the entrances to the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

60% bestiary completion. It's also real slow, and having a minecart track is helpful for things like setting up your various housing outposts, so smart cursor, a builder potion, and a bunch of tracks should do.

EDIT: just build it in the air so you don't need to dig through anything.

I already have one in the air. I even added a line of platforms (across the entire loving top of a large world) under it for easy star collection, although it's at the perfect height for zombies to jump and get clobbered / knock some hp off, so I'm thinking about building another minecart line above that one at the extreme range of the Treasure Magnet.

I want one underground (at the underground/cavern border ideally) so I can have easy access to the underground/cavern hallow/corruption etc, and because teleporter wire runs are much more aesthetically pleasing to run along the top/bottom of a subway.

e. I'm actually up to almost a full stack of fallen stars. I'm planning to use the star cannon to kill the wall of flesh. I intend to farm close to 2 stacks before I actually transition to hard mode, though.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 26, 2020