Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought that bosses suppressed normal mob spawns then discovered the hard way that the bottom floor of my arena was covered in werewolves.

Yesterday I fought Queen Slime and nearly had her killed on attempt one, and then I died to a loving pixie :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Speaking of building in the air, I found a pretty cool spot of clouds with a building on it. It's above the snow biome I think, I was thinking about making that my "home base." Does it count as snow biome or its own thing, and is that good/bad for getting good npcs to live near me? Once I'm established up there it would be cool to build a sky-rail like you posted, maybe one that dips into the deep ground too. I know some NPC will move there but haven't looked up the NPC stuff yet since it's fun to build a thing and find some random new friend. i think it was just my golfer who moved in because his doors got busted off in a goblin no-knock raid

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SirSamVimes posted:

Tried taking on Master Destroyer with full titanium, crystal serpent and a whole lotta buff potions. It uh, didn't end super well.

I thought that bosses suppressed normal mob spawns then discovered the hard way that the bottom floor of my arena was covered in werewolves.

This is why you want peace candles and calming potions when attempting any iffy boss. Bonus points for walling off the entire loving area and fighting the boss in a box so big it seems like outside.

like this, sorta

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 26, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of building in the air, I found a pretty cool spot of clouds with a building on it. It's above the snow biome I think, I was thinking about making that my "home base." Does it count as snow biome or its own thing, and is that good/bad for getting good npcs to live near me? Once I'm established up there it would be cool to build a sky-rail like you posted, maybe one that dips into the deep ground too. I know some NPC will move there but haven't looked up the NPC stuff yet since it's fun to build a thing and find some random new friend. i think it was just my golfer who moved in because his doors got busted off in a goblin no-knock raid

Don't keep your main base in the sky or you'll regret it in hard mode. Sky is considered it's own biome for fishing quest purposes. I don't know how it affects NPC living preferences.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Ah thanks for this. I've beaten every pre-hardmode boss on Expert, including the Brain of Cthulhu. Used the special seed for that. First Wall of Flesh kill was on Expert too! Beenades/The Bee's Knees rip that guy apart.

Any recommendations on weapons I should look for if I'm doing a Ranged (primarily bows) build with Melee backup? The Bee's Knees is incredible but it's starting to feel puny.

Also for a bit of info on biome spread, here's my world pre-hardmode:

And here it is after a few in-game days of hardmode :stare: :

I got very lucky that the Corruption "V" went through already existing Corruption. I think I'm going to need to build a firebreak for my Forest main base near the spawn and not rely on my Hellevator since the Hallow and Corruption are heading for it very quickly. My Ocean firebreak seems to have worked as did my Desert one. The Snow one worked...but the Corruption got so close half the village is uninhabitable. That really annoys me because I spent a lot of time pre-Hardmode adding snow/ice blocks to get it out of the bit of Corruption to the east only to now have it be invalid because of the Corruption to the west.

Well I dug a firebreak for my Forest biome and just in time too. The Hallow was right up against one of the living trees and converting the wood into pearlwood. But now my main base should be safe from both the Corruption and the Hallow. Made an artificial Graveyard too. Anything worthwhile to do/craft there?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Khanstant posted:

That's a sky island. They have unique loot and can show up over any biome. They are their own thing and I don't think any NPCs like or dislike them, but they will live there if you fix up the house.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

axeil posted:

Well I dug a firebreak for my Forest biome and just in time too. The Hallow was right up against one of the living trees and converting the wood into pearlwood. But now my main base should be safe from both the Corruption and the Hallow. Made an artificial Graveyard too. Anything worthwhile to do/craft there?

Tons can be crafted in there because of the Ecto Mist permeating the graveyard

also bring your npcs there for unique inventories (arms dealer, cyborg)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Diephoon posted:

Don't keep your main base in the sky or you'll regret it in hard mode. Sky is considered it's own biome for fishing quest purposes. I don't know how it affects NPC living preferences.

Having enough NPCs up there should suppress wyvern spawns.

My first expert hard mode world I made a, base on a sky lake to escape the clowns 🤡.

Took out Expert Moon Lord last night, don't think I'm going to push myself for Master but I did spend 1.5hr farming him to drop both swords for Zenith - this thing is ridiculous in the best way.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Ahhhh, the circle of life. Got fossil armor, ammo box and ammo potion for 60% ammo usage reduction...
https://i.imgur.com/3NbsAzh.mp4

fe: how the gently caress do I embed an imgur mp4 in something awful's antiquated forums code?

edit: holy gently caress that's huge. how do I make it smaller? wouldn't display in preview

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ambaire posted:

Ahhhh, the circle of life. Got fossil armor, ammo box and ammo potion for 60% ammo usage reduction...
https://i.imgur.com/3NbsAzh.mp4

fe: how the gently caress do I embed an imgur mp4 in something awful's antiquated forums code?

edit: holy gently caress that's huge. how do I make it smaller? wouldn't display in preview

Why not just farm a desert in another world

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Internet Kraken posted:

Why not just farm a desert in another world

Because I'm choosing not to farm other worlds. Once I get to hardmode, I will progress one other world to hardmode just for crimson stuff and maybe a living loom, but that's it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

what do you need that much sand for

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Cool trick: Put on some flower/fairy boots, find/carve some flat grassy space in the jungle, walk back and forth cutting down grass for easy jungle grass seeds (they're low drop chance and need 25 for research).

Sadly doesn't work on underground mushroom grass.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Honestly, if you're going to use an exploit like that to generate infinite sand anyway, I don't really see a reason to not just spawn it in with Journey mode research, but I suppose it's your time.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I mean yeah they patched out all other ammo recovery, clearly sand is only an exception because it's also a block.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ambaire posted:

Because I'm choosing not to farm other worlds. Once I get to hardmode, I will progress one other world to hardmode just for crimson stuff and maybe a living loom, but that's it.

I don't get why you'd make restrictions about not farming purely cosmetic building materials but are fine with looting the actual game balance affecting items you don't normally get in one world.

Zereth posted:

what do you need that much sand for

I'm always farming sand because I need more glass and outside of the surface of the desert and ocean its actually pretty rare. Its like the one block I go to other worlds for because I don't wanna gently caress up the surface of my biomes a ton.

Frankly I think one lame thing about Terraria is how you can miss out on the purely cosmetic block crafting stations in your world. I had to go to like 5 different ones just to get a living loom.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 27, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Cool trick: Put on some flower/fairy boots, find/carve some flat grassy space in the jungle, walk back and forth cutting down grass for easy jungle grass seeds (they're low drop chance and need 25 for research).

Sadly doesn't work on underground mushroom grass.

Fire flares into the ground to break the grass for you.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why you'd make restrictions about not farming purely cosmetic building materials but are fine with looting the actual game balance affecting items you don't normally get in one world.

I'm always farming sand because I need more glass and outside of the surface of the desert and ocean its actually pretty rare. Its like the one block I go to other worlds for because I don't wanna gently caress up the surface of my biomes a ton.

Frankly I think one lame thing about Terraria is how you can miss out on the purely cosmetic block crafting stations in your world. I had to go to like 5 different ones just to get a living loom.

they did a really good thing by making crates for all biomes both hard mode and normal, and then they didnt add like, desert pyramid loot and living tree loot and a couple odds and ends. just put all of it in there goddamnit its like five items

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
^^^ ahh, so that's why i have to double double-click to start my save file. I might do the same thing to replenish my desert. I spawned by a desert and underground desert together, but it looks like hell because I've raided so much sand.

Diephoon posted:

I haven't fished once, is it just bad because hardmode gives you a lot of fishing quests that are hard to do in sky biome? That area did seem to be constantly beset from harpies and I didn't know where they were or if they'd go away if I settled the area more.

Is it skybiome thats bad for late-game or building a base in the sky that's bad? cool floating base on a cloud seems too dope to just give up on so easily, and surely I can make a floating cloud base at any elevation, if the elevation is the hard-mode danger you allude to

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
three npcs stops enemy generation so you can put them anywhere except corruption and crimson, because they will move out. i would think sky towns are totally fine and with the implementation of pylons you no longer are incentivized to have your town directly on top of your hellevator

i guess that said, when a wyvern DOES spawn, maybe on the edge or during a blood moon or something, they will completely gently caress up all of your npcs because they will mulch them through the walls

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
FFFFuuuuuuck. I just entered Hardmode last night, and of course the Corruption part of the V hits my surface desert town. The real annoying part is it also hit my cavern town at the edge of hell. Like 7 NPC homes, useless, just like that.

A temporary NPC tenement is under construction until I can clementate the entire thing

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Why not just farm a desert in another world use journey mode

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Verviticus posted:

three npcs stops enemy generation so you can put them anywhere except corruption and crimson, because they will move out. i would think sky towns are totally fine and with the implementation of pylons you no longer are incentivized to have your town directly on top of your hellevator

i guess that said, when a wyvern DOES spawn, maybe on the edge or during a blood moon or something, they will completely gently caress up all of your npcs because they will mulch them through the walls

NPCs respawn, right? It also seems like maybe something I would need to build a defense array or something with? Is there anything "tower defensey" I can set up in general, right now monsters walzt in and out of my town like its nothing, because it is.

Hardmode is a long way away, I'm taking these advices as a challenge. Something called Wyvern may or may not eventually be a huge PITA.

Last thing I did yesterday was fight the Eater of Worlds. I was "prepared" in that I had some potions on me and a relatively empty inventory. I got some yoyo and a qt slime boi and figured that would just mow through the drat thing like it does the little ones. I got to about 40% health but couldn't heal myself as i was running up my shaft to lure it to surface. i was full of hubris, but today i am going at it again, this time with gumption.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You cant cross over journey and non journey worlds/characters.

and even if you could at that point just... use an inventory editor to give yourself some 999 stacks of glass or something, idk.

Khanstant posted:

NPCs respawn, right? It also seems like maybe something I would need to build a defense array or something with? Is there anything "tower defensey" I can set up in general, right now monsters walzt in and out of my town like its nothing, because it is.

They do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Do the rare spawn NPCs just disappear? I've seen "unconscious man" and "bound woman" a couple of times on my Lifeform Analyzer, but every time I've gone to look for them, going backwards and forwards then up and down, they disappear before I can find them. Are they getting killed before I can find them? Do I have the blood of innocent tavernkeeps and stylists on my hands?

I honestly just want to finish off my NPC towns in certain biomes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, they can get killed if you don't get to them quickly enough. They also despawn if you move too far away from them. In my experience, you can pretty much just stand in place in the underground and they'll eventually spawn back in somewhere near you, though. You don't have to be moving.

I recommend getting some Hunter potion. It highlights enemies and NPCs, which makes it far easier to find them. They'll be bright green.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Memento posted:

Do the rare spawn NPCs just disappear? I've seen "unconscious man" and "bound woman" a couple of times on my Lifeform Analyzer, but every time I've gone to look for them, going backwards and forwards then up and down, they disappear before I can find them. Are they getting killed before I can find them? Do I have the blood of innocent tavernkeeps and stylists on my hands?

they could be dying or they could be out of range of your sight and despawning before you get them in view

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Memento posted:

they can get killed and i know the stylist can be a pain because she spawns in spider dens and tends to get eaten by spiders

your best bet is bomb out some tunnels in an area (use scarab bombs, combine bombs and desert fossils, they dig like 3x20 tunnels very fast), light everything up, and just stay still until the lifeform analyzer lights up

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 27, 2020

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Memento posted:

They despawn because you have moved out of range of them. Which happens a lot because they will be detected off screen and odds are you’re not going to go directly at them.

Lifeform Analyzer would be so much better if it also gave you a direction.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
seriously these things rule https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Scarab_Bomb

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, if you're going to use an exploit like that to generate infinite sand anyway, I don't really see a reason to not just spawn it in with Journey mode research, but I suppose it's your time.

I'm playing with a classic character on a Master difficulty large world. Journey mode.. blah. Tried it, didn't feel real enough. I like to work for my rewards.

Also, the sandgun stuff was just for fun. I've barely explored a tiny fraction of my underground desert and I'm not shy of dynamiting a bunch of it. Got about 2k sand earlier.. only 'duplicated' a couple hundred, not that it matters to anyone.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah the Analyzer will say "bound woman" and I'll keep going in the direction I'm going, until it stops saying it, then go back until it says it again, and start going perpendicular to the direction of travel, then lose it, then come back and try to find the signal again, by which time it's usually gone. I checked the wiki and it said to find a spider cave, and go towards it and away from it until you get the spawn then head in and search properly.

Of course, if I can find a Magic Conch, I'll stop bothering, because all I want to do is stop having to hop all the way to the ocean to get fishing quests.

edit: yeah Scarab Bombs are awesome, and fossils aren't too hard to find either to make them. Hellevators never looked so easy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I want both Scarab Dynamite and scarab bombs that go off almost instantly.

Memento posted:

Of course, if I can find a Magic Conch, I'll stop bothering, because all I want to do is stop having to hop all the way to the ocean to get fishing quests.
The Angler does nothing that costs you money so his happiness is irrelevant, just put him somewhere else until you can get an ocean pylon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What kind of accessories should I be gunning for in hardmode as a mage?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mana flower?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorcerer's Emblem is kind of a no-brainer, I think. 15% flat damage bonus is pretty good.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

celestial cuffs and mana regeneration band are vital.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

No Safe Word posted:

Watching a bunch of streamers of other games that have never played Terraria before experience it for the first time is pretty funny. Especially those playing hard/mediumcore not knowing what a world of pain it can be.

This sounds pretty fun, who've you been watching?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

dis astranagant posted:

celestial cuffs and mana regeneration band are vital.

Wouldn't all they do be decrease your rate of mana potion consumption without actually affecting your combat effectiveness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Using the lifeform analyser:

Monsters spawn in a small radius around you. Actually, a rectangular one, 84 tiles away at the farthest. As you move, that region moves. By the time you notice the monster's name on the life form analyzer, you've likely moved the region away from where it was when the monster really spawned.

That's important, because that means the monster is likely a candidate to despawn now. Specifically, if you've moved it offscreen, it's in danger of despawn, and you have 12.5 seconds to get it back onscreen or else it's gone.

So: If you see a Lost Girl or Skeleton Merchant or whatever on your HUD, the best practice is probably to STOP moving around (in case it's still onscreen) and seriously think about which direction to move in next. The most probable direction that it's in is backwards from your direction of travel, because you didn't notice the name immediately (if you did immediately notice the name pop up, pick the direction that's most accessible to you). QUICKLY backtrack in that direction and light up everything because you only have 12.5 seconds to veer a different way if you guessed wrong.

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/NPC_spawning
https://terraria.gamepedia.com/NPC_despawning