Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Chris Porter, the man that oversaw robo debt and was proud of it, the man who was managing the cashless welfare card and was proud of it, the man who wanted mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients, the man who dodged the final sittings of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse to go to the cricket with Howard (and was, judging by his track history, probably proud of it) is now in charge of Workchoices 2.0.

gently caress. Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

Don't need union busting legislation if essentially the same thing is going to be hardwired into their IR reforms

That was pretty much what Morrison said, that they were abandoning that legislation as a sign of good faith while still being committed to all its aims in any new legislation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Senor Tron posted:

That was pretty much what Morrison said, that they were abandoning that legislation as a sign of good faith while still being committed to all its aims in any new legislation.

lol he really isn't good at this marketing stuff is he

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The silver lining to all this is that a workforce crushed under the boot of business owners, and a government unwilling to spend big to dig us out of a recession is going to ruin the LNP's economic credentials for a while

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
I think you'll find that Labor would have done a worse job.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The silver lining to all this is that a workforce crushed under the boot of business owners, and a government unwilling to spend big to dig us out of a recession is going to ruin the LNP's economic credentials for a while

Lmao nice one

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

oh cool, new dril tweet

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

That'll show em.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hhehehe

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I'm actually hanging out for details on JobMaker.
I'm going back to do a pre-apprenticeship in Furniture Making, and I might qualify for Free TAFE in Victoria as I'm unemployed even though I have a rather meaningless Certificate III (the pre-app is a Certificate II) and I'm worried that there'll be something that gets in the way of that...

They really need to reform subsidies on TAFE courses to make it more realistic for mature-aged unemployed seeking reskilling.
Will JobMaker do that? Maybe.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Tafe will be subcontracted to serco, and by the time you are qualified nobody will have money to buy anything you make.

That's my prediction anyway

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That's a thought. I'd love to learn something like welding/fitter&turner type trade. I wonder if any place would do it as a night school.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

*nods sagely* but have you considered that this all just Labor's mess? I mean come on, we wouldn't be in the position if not for Labor!!!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

bandaid.friend posted:

More than 200 people who have moved out of the cashless debit card zones have applied to be released from the trial, but the department is yet to approve one of these claims.

I assume that stores with the terminals for those cards only exist inside the zones, so those people are kind of screwed?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think you would be surprised at how many "rich boomer" are pretty much rich only in the massive and sweetly located house they live in.

One of the goals of reforms such as land tax is specifically to get boomers to downsize as they get older and prevent them sitting in a $1 million house that could house a growing family and yet still require a pension to survive. The intent is that the assets would be sold and proceeds used to fund their old age in place of the pension for as long as possible. This would increase housing affordability and reduce the pension bill.

I think of UBI as the provision of government services such as health, education and security. Social security given out as cash is basically privatizing provision of things such as food, recreation and housing. You increase the proportion given out as cash, it naturally leads to reduction in government provided services.

I don’t disagree on there are heaps but I reckon the actual rich boomers have multiple properties.

I honestly think that if you’ve just have the one house it’s not fair to count that in. You’re living in it. We bought the house we live in years ago and it’s gone up by over half. We definitely have not got richer by that amount.

Some people will downsize anyway and tax the ever living poo poo out of second properties for retirees and that would fix it.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
What's that quote? "it is better to let 100 million people die in wretched poverty than increase a billionaire's tax footprint by one red cent"

I personally am interested in the idea of mixed-generational community living arrangements, not on the family level but instead apartment complex or neighbourhood. Same way you have the bottom floor of most apartment buildings serving as shops/businesses, and doctors etc mixed in with residential apartment blocks. But that would require a number of key conceptual shifts in Australian values, the opposite beliefs being the ones that have helped lead to this garbage situation in the first place -- i.e. the primary dream being to have a too-big house with a princely garden and a nice fat wall to isolate you from anybody who might dare co-exist on the same continent

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 26, 2020

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

What's that quote? "it is better to let 100 million people die in wretched poverty than increase a billionaire's tax footprint by one red cent"

I personally am interested in the idea of mixed-generational community living arrangements, not on the family level but instead apartment complex or neighbourhood. Same way you have the bottom floor of most apartment buildings serving as shops/businesses, and doctors etc mixed in with residential apartment blocks. But that would require a number of key conceptual shifts in Australian values, the opposite beliefs being the ones that have helped lead to this garbage situation in the first place -- i.e. the primary dream being to have a too-big house with a princely garden and a nice fat wall to isolate you from anybody who might dare co-exist on the same continent

You don’t need to want a McMansion to think this sounds like an awful way to live.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Sulla Faex posted:

i.e. the primary dream being to have a too-big house with a princely garden and a nice fat wall to isolate you from anybody who might dare co-exist on the same continent

Paid for by a small army tenants renting out your extensive portfolio of hovels of course...

That said I do rather like the big garden in our new house, had to move out a fair way out to get it though! We adopted a temperamental rescue kelpie who can't really exercise in public so she needs the space to run! :guillotine:

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 26, 2020

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

You don’t need to want a McMansion to think this sounds like an awful way to live.

If you get panic attacks at the idea of seeing another human being, then by all means it's perfectly reasonable to want a higher level of isolation. But on a broader social level, endless suburbia is not a good solution, sorry

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol he really isn't good at this marketing stuff is he

Scott Morrison won an unwinnable election and is extremely popular

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Sulla Faex posted:

One plus of the Australia obsession with a detached too-big house with a garden and wall is that it's made this whole covid thing much easier to endure and cut back on infection rates. Those poor people in apartment blocks where the virus was essentially coming back up out of the sewer lines and being drawn by extractor fans into the air were horror stories.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Konomex posted:

Those poor people in apartment blocks where the virus was essentially coming back up out of the sewer lines and being drawn by extractor fans into the air were horror stories.

wtf

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Having a garden to potter round in and work on has definitely helped my mental health in the last couple of months.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sulla Faex posted:

I wish I could live in something like NEXT21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCP3K6VpN4c

But I'm in Australia and all we can have here is lovely dibond-clad apartments that crack in half after a couple of years

Edit: more info

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 26, 2020

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Sulla Faex posted:

I like this in theory, but you know in practice it'll just turn into the mega cities from Judge Dredd. Right down to the Judges

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

BBJoey posted:

Yeah lol and his opposition is Albo. Morrison’s going 3 terms.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lol what do you mean an unwinnable election he was literally the only candidate that got any air time leading up to the election and the only other advertising was for micro parties that funneled votes to morrison.

it was 100% an unlosable election for LNP.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

for sale: democracy
never used

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
bill

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I can't believe the LNP can get away with changing leaders so often.

Honestly it felt like the public hated that poo poo because they were Presidential thinkers.

But now I know they only believe it's Presidential when the media tells them it's a Presidential position.

Which is only if LABOAR is in office SPENDING YIUR HARD EARNED CASH ON FEMALE OFFICE POSITIONS MADE IN CHINA.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace/national-framework-for-university-staff-wage-negotiations-derailed-20200526-p54wo7.html

This was really obvious

e: The back-slapping from the NTEU members who opposed the framework is awesome. Glad they feel like their jobs/conditions are safe.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 27, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Remember franking credits?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Remember franking credits?

I'm still waiting for the government to give me mine.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

snickothemule posted:

Chris Porter, the man that oversaw robo debt and was proud of it, the man who was managing the cashless welfare card and was proud of it, the man who wanted mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients, the man who dodged the final sittings of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse to go to the cricket with Howard (and was, judging by his track history, probably proud of it) is now in charge of Workchoices 2.0.

gently caress. Me.

Yeah this is going to be a rollercoaster of poo poo. :(

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

check this poo poo out

https://www.australiabrand.com.au/overview/images/Australias-Nation-Brand-Overview.pdf

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Also love to protect my commercial in confidence assets by only hiding the link behind a login portal, not the documents themselves :laffo:

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 27, 2020

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Gargles me own piss.

Oi! Oi! Oi!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Counterpoint: Labor decided to appoint an unelectable leader and continue to be extremely poo poo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

stick some spike proteins on the fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

stick some spike proteins on the fucker

A logo to subtly remind you of Australia's ability to take things successfully carried out elsewhere and put our own unique touch on them: