Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

oh but seriously I posted:

Worf lost almost every physical confrontation he was involved with, unclear where this sporting prowess was demonstrated in the text

When he clowned those suckers at spear into hoop at the prison camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Worf lost almost every physical confrontation he was involved with, unclear where this sporting prowess was demonstrated in the text

He won that Batleth tournament, he beat about every Jem Hadar in single combat, he whooped Garak's rear end.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
In the DS9 episode where the cast played a ballgame against a bunch of vulkans, Worf and Jake Sisko were the only competent players on the team.

EDIT: I'd guess Bashir is okay too given that he's supposed to be athletically gifted through science, though you didn't see a whole lot in this particular episode.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 27, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

All I'm seeing is that he majorly beefed it playing a mostly non-contact sport and he did some LARPing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It made sense when Tuvok did it because he's a Vulcan and therefore an rear end in a top hat about regulations. It was bullshit when Riker did the exact same thing even though he let Worf walk around with a giant sash like he's the mayor of the Enterprise

Worf's sash is a sign of his family's nobility, so of course he gets to keep it. Privilege.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

In the DS9 episode where the cast played a ballgame against a bunch of vulkans, Worf and Jake Sisko were the only competent players on the team.

EDIT: I'd guess Bashir is okay too given that he's supposed to be athletically gifted through science, though you didn't see a whole lot in this particular episode.

I'm pretty sure Quark is shown getting in scoring position in the montage of innings 2 to 8.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

jeeves posted:

Cancel Discovery is still the #1 option to make the show better.

There's only enough room for one Tighclops itt.

bull3964 posted:

And then the least liked one, angry at being shunned, kidnaps the other one and forces them back together.

Kinda a reverse Tuvix. Then Torres would had to have dealt with the guilt of what she did to herself, never being able to really separate her feelings of being betrayed and being the betrayer.

You know, some of you folks are (presumably) in the wrong line of work. I'm dead serious. gently caress's sake, get into writing already.

McSpanky posted:

All four of them end up merged but in a horrifying Brundlefly way. It begs for death but Janeway rolled an 18 that day and decides that it's a valid new lifeform, and destroying it to get their friends back would be an unconscionable act of murder. Later, Seven assimilates it during "Scorpion" and everyone agrees that it's better this way. Janeway insists Seven be de-assimilated against her will because she was originally a normal human, but Tuvannixa is a unique entity and they can't judge whether it's better off as a Borg or not.

Well, not you.

Sash! posted:

Also, I refuse the baseball episode's premise that Worf is bad at baseball. He's entirely too much of an athlete with very good hand eye coordination.

He wasn't bad, was he?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
- Worf has no idea where the actual strike zone is, which basically makes him a replacement level baseball player
- Jake is every AAAA guy who gets called up and immediately shelled by an entire lineup in their debut
- Rom is Ichiro, but only that time he accidentally homered on a bunt
- Sisko is Mike Scioscia
- Odo is Angel Hernandez
- Ezri is Wesley Snipes in Major League

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Odo can’t be Angel Hernandez.

Odo is somewhat competent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kibayasu posted:

Odo can’t be Angel Hernandez.

Odo is somewhat competent.

Odo takes pleasure ejecting people for tiny offenses, he’s 100% Angel.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Aww. :( I always think of him first as Admiral Noyce from seaQuest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nessus posted:

He's going the distance
He's going for speed
Alexander is left all alone, in his time of need

You're not going to believe me when I say this. Hell, I probably wouldn't believe me. But this is the exact song that was going through my head

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You're not alone

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

You're not going to believe me when I say this. Hell, I probably wouldn't believe me. But this is the exact song that was going through my head
Glory to you... and your house.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He won that Batleth tournament,

What are you talking about? He finished in 9th place :confused:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
GlenMR's post is making me dizzy

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hipster_Doofus posted:

He wasn't bad, was he?

He was better than most, but somehow it seems like he should have been a quick study.

Plus Dorn seemed like he had to try to miss his swings more obviously than some. I think he batting with his non dominant hand like Rom was.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://youtu.be/Fo8cVby5ag4

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well, not you.

Joke's on you, I'm already an EP for Picard season 2

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Aww. :( I always think of him first as Admiral Noyce from seaQuest.

Smort. :smith:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

So here's a thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Voyager-1995-Blu-ray/dp/B0019N95OY

lol, especially at the first "review." I wonder if some idiotic PR firm paid them.

GlenMR posted:

What are you talking about? He finished in 9th place :confused:

CPColin posted:

GlenMR's post is making me dizzy

:lsdpop: (someone make this please)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh. Christian Cooper, the man who suffered racial abuse for asking a woman to leash her dog in a Central Park nature reserve that requires dogs to be leashed made the first actual proper gay Trek character in comics.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
"Find him and kill him!"

Worf is obvi Pedro Cerrano and can't hit breaking balls because they are deceitful and without honor.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He won that Batleth tournament, he beat about every Jem Hadar in single combat, he whooped Garak's rear end.

He also beat Gowron twice. Granted, Gowron he known for his skills as a warrior, but it still counts and he looked pretty good with a bat'leth to me.

I've decided my favorite thing about Gowron is how happy and excited he was to say other people's names. "But they sorely underestimated OODOOO here! :haw:"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Do NOT remember the Event! Remain Indoors!

Screams and runs away

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Cross-franchise intramural game: Latchcomb!

I've still never watched The Orville but this has persuaded me to give it a try.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Screams and runs away

Radio 4 is still playing, it's fine.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Senor Tron posted:

Screams and runs away

I've still never watched The Orville but this has persuaded me to give it a try.

it's good trek.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Joke's on you, I'm already an EP for Picard season 2

Do the right thing and volunteer to take a pay cut so they can hire good writers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you tell Michael Chabon you’re trying to replace him with good writers I’m pretty sure he’d hulk out or spontaneously catch on fire or something.

Also watching TNG the thing I’m noticing the most is the makeup. Selar you have some amazing dewy blush!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"If you don't stop this racist inquiry I'm going to beat you like a drumhead!" - Picard, The Drumhead

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Maybe he just doesn't perform on camera? I imagine Picard taking him from planet to planet trying to show him off, like the WB Frog guy, and then Worf gets hurled into a bulkhead and :ughh:

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe he just doesn't perform on camera? I imagine Picard taking him from planet to planet trying to show him off, like the WB Frog guy, and then Worf gets hurled into a bulkhead and :ughh:

I don't want to sound racist against Klingons here, but Worf really does feel like the worst example of affirmative action gone wrong I'm his posting to the Enterprise.

Was there ever a time in all of TNG where Worf showed even the basic level of competence that would be expected of an officer at his level?

Was there EVER a time when he was responsible for a solution that didn't involve violence? Did he ever fix something, or come up with a strategy or technical innovation?

Literally the only thing that comes to mind is that comm badge forcefield he used in Fistful of Datas...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Writers really seem to like using Worf to demonstrate failure or as a target of criticism. Maybe they feel Worf can get away with showing more of an impudent reaction that the audience can sympathize with because he is Klingon; or maybe they like having the contrast of someone strong and "savage" managing to take it like a starfleet officer. It is sort of similar to how O'Brien is used to demonstrate suffering. He's good at playing the underdog/evoking sympathy. Or maybe it's just racism.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Bucswabe posted:

Was there EVER a time when he was responsible for a solution that didn't involve violence? Did he ever fix something, or come up with a strategy or technical innovation?

There was that episode where Kheylar first shows up, where a bunch of Klingons wake up from suspended animation and are going to go attack Federation outposts if the Enterprise don't stop them.
Kheylar is all " Just blow them up" while Worf is the one to come up with the plan to fool the Klingons into thinking that he's in command of the Enterprise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There was that episode where Kheylar first shows up, where a bunch of Klingons wake up from suspended animation and are going to go attack Federation outposts if the Enterprise don't stop them.
Kheylar is all " Just blow them up" while Worf is the one to come up with the plan to fool the Klingons into thinking that he's in command of the Enterprise.
Worf spared Toral, Duras’ son, who he had the right to kill under Klingon law

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Listened to the Phage episode of The Delta Flyers. I think a problem with their format is that I don't really know what the episode was even about by the end. Something The West Wing Weekly did was pretty clearly talk about the story beats of the episode so even if I couldn't picture it exactly in my head I knew I had watched it and it triggered my memory a bit. Maybe they're doing this in the paid extra bit? :shrug: It probably helps that at least one host on TWWW is a huge fan of the show as well as an actor on it whereas I doubt Garret and Robert care that much about Voyager.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bucswabe posted:

That's sort of his job though. He's there to provide the use of force options.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Furthermore, 90 percent of the times that Worf just said "just shoot it" the problem would have been resolved in ten minutes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There should have been a little vestibule at the front of the bridge in which Worf could drop a forcefield and head-butt enemy ships in space.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Sash! posted:

That's sort of his job though. He's there to provide the use of force options.

This is a fair point, but on the other hand, Worf was implied to be a leading candidate for promotions such as first officer on a number of occasions. It never felt justified based on what we've seen from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bucswabe posted:

This is a fair point, but on the other hand, Worf was implied to be a leading candidate for promotions such as first officer on a number of occasions. It never felt justified based on what we've seen from him.

Affirmative action candidate

PoQ (Person of Q'onos) quotas have to be met

Is it fair to say Worf saved the Alliance during the Dominion War? If he hadn't killed :gowron:, then the Klingons might have been crushed before the Federation developed a counter to the Breen, and the dominoes fall from there...