Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Der Meister posted:

can anyone find hand sanitizer, gloves or disposable masks yet.

These masks aren't too pricey (~$3/each) and come sealed in a pack of 5, but I haven't been disposing of mine, just letting them bake in the car dashboard UV Rays and labeling them for each day to only rewear one per week. Not like it matters at all since they're mainly just to help prevent spread if you have it and literally nobody in this stupid city is wearing them because "muh freedums"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

COVID-420 posted:

it's only half the story

you need massively expanded testing AND low new case counts. that way you can trace and isolate all of the new cases that do appear.

which is what drives me crazy when i post "lol State x has 1200 new cases today" and someone jumps in to defend "their" state with BUT TESTING WENT UP

like, that's great that you identified the shitload of cases you have. but you still have a shitload of cases.

the only thing testing has been useful for is scaring people into staying home, it does nothing else especially since there's no mandatory quarantines for infected people anyways

its hilarious chicago is announcing a ton of jobs for contact tracers that are gonna start around labor day, which is completely useless (hint, the spread is happening in schools and on trains!!) but great if you want to do some patronage

the plus side of no disinfecting wipes left is that they apparently don't seem to matter since this poo poo is just in the air in enclosed spaces. I really just need to splurge on a gas mask aka painters full face respirator to wear when i'm forced to go back into an office. honestly all you waiters should be wearing them and just refuse to take them off and get unemployment that way

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 18:08 on May 28, 2020

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Broken Box posted:

I work end of life care in Nashville and work quite closely with Vanderbilt ICU folks, they're seeing a surge of covid patients in ICU from outside of Davidson County

I suspect the same thing is occurring in Memphis since more than a few of West Tennessee and eastern Arkansas’s rural hospitals closed in the last twenty years. I know that at one of the remaining rural hospitals with an ICU in West TN there are two COVID patients from Memphis who left the city and went to their lake house, only to fall ill and end up in the rural hospital’s ICU.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Der Meister posted:

They’re selling masks and gloves at every convenience store in Portland these days. Right at the counter with the impulse buy products

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

mastershakeman posted:

the only thing testing has been useful for is scaring people into staying home, it does nothing else especially since there's no mandatory quarantines for infected people anyways

are you suggesting that we should not test people for covid-19 :hmmno:

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

With the news that there's something like a 25-40k spike in all-cause mortality I'm gonna go ahead and believe my May guess of ~139k cum deaths is the stealth winner, even if BIG GOVERNMENT won't acknowledge my correctness.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
man, how about this pneumonia going around :confuoot:

it's worse than COVID lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

etalian posted:

It's loving hilarious how the top 4 countries all have strong man wanna be leaders who downplayed the threat of the pandemic.

Just the flu!

makes me wonder about Belarus's real numbers

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Der Meister posted:

Amazon has masks and disposable gloves. For hand sanatizer see if there is a local distillery selling it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Burn Zone posted:

Walmart (or Sam’s Club) usually has hand sanitizer, just order online and pick it up in the store to guarantee you get it. No need to walk through a Walmart only to find they’re sold out. I don’t know about Walmart, but my local Sam’s Club has shitloads of disposable masks. I originally ordered some masks from Amazon but they weren’t that good, the metal nose piece was pretty flimsy. However, the ones I bought from Sam’s Club are better quality. Funny story, back in early April when masks weren’t available in the States, a friend in China sent hundreds of dollars worth masks for me to give to his family here. We thought they were seized by Chinese customs or someone snagged the package when they figured out it was masks, but after weeks of no movement the tracking number shows they’re scheduled to arrive next week, two months late lmao.

a massive amount of air freight from China is done by filling extra cargo space in passenger jets. prices have more than quadrupled at this point

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Der Meister posted:

hmm yes flu like symptoms but no test very smart

kaine in the membrane

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

almost, you have to subtract the union though, the cases reported as both pneumonia and covid

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

We're just getting masks we ordered back in March, right when they're in giant bins at our local grocery store. But I've gotten used to wearing a bandana as a mask and feeling like a bandit. It just isn't the same :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

theflyingexecutive posted:

almost, you have to subtract the union though, the cases reported as both pneumonia and covid

a bunch of states have big disparities there, I know Florida was just talked about last page but they're just the most blatant.
e: tbh not even the most blatant, maybe the most shameless and inept about concealing it I guess

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 18:27 on May 28, 2020

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not sure I'm parsing this correctly but if I am, um, ... wow, holy poo poo.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

magiccarpet posted:

im so happy i risked going to a citymd to get my antibody test to only be told a week later the tests were garbage. they are never going to get testing under control.

nani? i got one of those too, what was wrong with them? aside from the disclaimer on the test results that said "this test does not confirm nor exclude the possibility of prior infection"

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

These masks aren't too pricey (~$3/each) and come sealed in a pack of 5, but I haven't been disposing of mine, just letting them bake in the car dashboard UV Rays and labeling them for each day to only rewear one per week. Not like it matters at all since they're mainly just to help prevent spread if you have it and literally nobody in this stupid city is wearing them because "muh freedums"

That's not a good idea to do. Right now, like you said, nobody wants to wear a mask. But when cases start to spike and everyone starts to know somebody who is sick, masks are gonna go up in demand. You dont want to leave it right on the dashboard out in the open where anyone can see it and smash in to steal the masks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

COVID-420 posted:

nah most states are hiring contact tracers, chicago is hiring 600, san jose has hired 50, etc etc

is it lovely and late and bad? yes. will some dedicated public health and social workers at least try to protect their communities? also yes.

thank you for posting your restaurant trip report. what state/city are you in? i worked in restaurants for most of my adult life and it was never easy but you described a nightmare and i believe every word. feeling for you goon.

Green Bay in Wisconsin. Given how the numbers are rolling in I half expect to be out of a job again within a couple weeks .. but then I remember that the legislature stripped the governor of the power to declare a shutdown. Cool country!

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Luckyellow posted:

That's not a good idea to do. Right now, like you said, nobody wants to wear a mask. But when cases start to spike and everyone starts to know somebody who is sick, masks are gonna go up in demand. You dont want to leave it right on the dashboard out in the open where anyone can see it and smash in to steal the masks.

Best way I've heard to clean them is ziplock in a sous-vide if you're bourgeoisie enough to have one.

UV breaks down the polypropylene fiber coating anyway, you're better off sealing it in a bag and just heating to around 140F for 30min-1hr

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

empty whippet box posted:

I'm not sure I'm parsing this correctly but if I am, um, ... wow, holy poo poo.

*stares at map, eyes widening with each minute* oh god *finally puts map down* i'm in america :stare:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Flesh Forge posted:

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Green Bay in Wisconsin. Given how the numbers are rolling in I half expect to be out of a job again within a couple weeks .. but then I remember that the legislature stripped the governor of the power to declare a shutdown. Cool country!

50% of my friends and loved ones work in hospitality. the other 50% work in entertainment, where i work. we're all unemployed or on the absolute edge of it.

i think both industries are loving toast and its gonna get even worse. i think we gotta find something else to do, the world has changed.

i hope you keep getting that cash for as long as possible but i also hope you get a better job like immediately.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

didn't their bullshit court case strip the state health department of ever being able to make quick actions in an emergency

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Grabnar posted:

Best way I've heard to clean them is ziplock in a sous-vide if you're bourgeoisie enough to have one.

UV breaks down the polypropylene fiber coating anyway, you're better off sealing it in a bag and just heating to around 140F for 30min-1hr

I'll just spray them with Lysol or bleach and huff that all day maybe that'll make things more interesting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

your car windshield glass blocks out 100% of UV rays.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Judging from how much we're using them at work I think demand's likely to double or triple over the summer as the rest of the country reopens.
Exactly. TP shortages were mostly supply chain and re-stocking issues, as well as shifting business stock to consumer. (Most) people aren't making GBS threads more. Sanitizers, a bunch of places were able to ramp up production, and how fast does the normal person actually go through 60 oz of sanitizer once they get it. But wipes? Big time demand, already maxed production, heavy consumer and business usage, and a ton of new buyers.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
*licks mask*

Sweet sweet release

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

COVID-420 posted:

are you suggesting that we should not test people for covid-19 :hmmno:

Its useful to know for historians I guess . At some point it'll be useful for the people with means to stop hiding but that's a long ways away.

We're on a path to have it endemic if the expanded UI doesn't get continued and schools reopen, which both seem incredibly likely. At that point it doesn't matter if you test to see if you have it, just like no one bothers getting tested to see if they had the flu vs something else

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris James 2 posted:

*stares at map, eyes widening with each minute* oh god *finally puts map down* i'm in america :stare:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mastershakeman posted:

just like no one bothers getting tested to see if they had the flu vs something else

:thunk:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

so deaths are being undercounted by, I can't tell, 25% to 40%?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cutting a hole in my mask for me to smoke through while sanitizing it by soaking it in kerosene to own the libs

just toss it in a paper bag if you're using them once every 7 days, virus doesn't live that long on those surfaces

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Burn Zone posted:

I suspect the same thing is occurring in Memphis since more than a few of West Tennessee and eastern Arkansas’s rural hospitals closed in the last twenty years. I know that at one of the remaining rural hospitals with an ICU in West TN there are two COVID patients from Memphis who left the city and went to their lake house, only to fall ill and end up in the rural hospital’s ICU.

makes u think (kinda old now i guess, but relevant)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KHNews/status/1266054721514676226?s=20

https://twitter.com/AppleNews/status/1265780284932403202?s=20

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
examples of how states can cook the books outside of death certificates:

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...Dg1cpZAr7YWk4Zo

quote:

As case counts and deaths from COVID-19 rise and the state reopens, Iowans are desperate for guidance. Iowa’s governor has stopped giving updates on death totals in her daily news conferences and the data on the state’s website is obscure and constantly in flux. At first, the state analyzed COVID-19 cases by region, with a scoring system. But that was tossed aside when one of the regions reached the highest point of the scoring system. County level data disappeared, then it reappeared. First, rates of infection were reported every 24 hours, now the state updates that in real time, which obscures the number of daily cases.

The site does not provide demographic data by county for cases, recoveries and deaths. The state provides those demographic details only in statewide percentages — not raw numbers.

Additionally, epidemiologists at the University of Iowa were asked for a model to predict Iowa’s peak. That model was tossed aside by the governor as based on “assumptions.” What she bases her decisions on are “metrics and data.”

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Has anyone here ever been tested to see if they had the flu . Maybe it's more common than I think.

Regardless , all but a few states are running testing and reporting for political purposes. Even if they didn't have control of tests and reports, they'd still be reopening because every single donor at the local level is screaming that their debt financing can't be serviced due to shutdowns. If no one can stay home because they're forced to work to not be evicted, testing doesn't really matter beyond morbid curiosity.

Schools are gonna open up nationally in ten or twelve weeks, there's nothing that can be done since the people in charge don't care

Edit notre Dame college is opening up 8/11 , they might be the first. That's 11 weeks from now

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 18:46 on May 28, 2020

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Flesh Forge posted:

a bunch of states have big disparities there, I know Florida was just talked about last page but they're just the most blatant.
e: tbh not even the most blatant, maybe the most shameless and inept about concealing it I guess

140k total deaths?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

human extinction

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

is there a safe way to replace elastic on an N95? googling didn't help much. i have two masks where the strap broke at the little staple and i'd hate to lose them :(

wondering if i could sew new straps on the outside. i don't want to interfere with the seal obviously; even with my cloth masks i have the elastic on the outside so the fabric can be tight against the face with minimal gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

COVID-420 posted:

50% of my friends and loved ones work in hospitality. the other 50% work in entertainment, where i work. we're all unemployed or on the absolute edge of it.

i think both industries are loving toast and its gonna get even worse. i think we gotta find something else to do, the world has changed.

i hope you keep getting that cash for as long as possible but i also hope you get a better job like immediately.

I'm in NY and one of the live theaters wants to reopen in September, but test every actor prior to every performance for COVID

I'm in a small town where there's no understudies for shows, so selling 200 tickets and then hanging a sign on the door saying "SORRY WE GOT RONI'D" is probably a stupid loving idea

One positive test means the entire run of that show (usually a month's worth) would need to be cancelled as every actor would need to go into isolation since they all had rehearsed with the infected cast member

The actors union is opposed to the testing as well