Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"your model includes assumptions?! "

Lmao what a dumb rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

man, how about this pneumonia going around :confuoot:

it's worse than COVID lol

I know there are lots of people in America but 50,000 people normally dying every week is really hard to fathom.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Has anyone here ever been tested to see if they had the flu . Maybe it's more common than I think.

Regardless , all but a few states are running testing and reporting for political purposes. Even if they didn't have control of tests and reports, they'd still be reopening because every single donor at the local level is screaming that their debt financing can't be serviced due to shutdowns. If no one can stay home because they're forced to work to not be evicted, testing doesn't really matter beyond morbid curiosity.

Schools are gonna open up nationally in ten or twelve weeks, there's nothing that can be done since the people in charge don't care

I missed two weeks of work because I was really sick in February. Went to the doctor on the first day I started running a fever and tested positive for influenza type B. Recently one of my coworkers asked me if I thought I had COVID then, but I definitely tested positive for flu.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Plinkey wages into battle atop a motorized wheelchair

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

snoo posted:

is there a safe way to replace elastic on an N95? googling didn't help much. i have two masks where the strap broke at the little staple and i'd hate to lose them :(

wondering if i could sew new straps on the outside. i don't want to interfere with the seal obviously; even with my cloth masks i have the elastic on the outside so the fabric can be tight against the face with minimal gap.

superglue

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Burn Zone posted:

I missed two weeks of work because I was really sick in February. Went to the doctor on the first day I started running a fever and tested positive for influenza type B. Recently one of my coworkers asked me if I thought I had COVID then, but I definitely tested positive for flu.

Thats cool. Do you think you would have been tested if covid wasn't a possibility? My neighbor had similar symptoms and a few weeks later his nanny tested positive for covid and we're all wondering what he had earlier

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i don't think that would hold up well :whitewater:

i was considering using superglue to fill in whatever holes the stitching could cause but i only have cotton/poly thread and it might react badly

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Thats cool. Do you think you would have been tested if covid wasn't a possibility? My neighbor had similar symptoms and a few weeks later his nanny tested positive for covid and we're all wondering what he had earlier

At the time I don’t think anyone was testing for COVID here. I think it was part of their standard procedure to test for flu before prescribing Tamiflu.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

makes u think (kinda old now i guess, but relevant)

mbison-yesyes.gif

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

I know there are lots of people in America but 50,000 people normally dying every week is really hard to fathom.

All cause deaths in the US in 2018 were around 7700 a day

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

MorrisBae posted:

One positive test means the entire run of that show (usually a month's worth) would need to be cancelled as every actor would need to go into isolation since they all had rehearsed with the infected cast member

yikes, i'm doing planning for small community music festivals and we're not 100% about June 2021 return dates

i just don't think any of it is really going to work at scale, it's just all so contrary to the Spirit Of The Experience

theatre will survive, music will survive, cinema will survive. but the entertainment industry is gonna get decimated.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

snoo posted:

i was considering using superglue to fill in whatever holes the stitching could cause but i only have cotton/poly thread and it might react badly

Two-part epoxy is messy and takes awhile to fully set but it is strong as poo poo and only a few dollars

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

snoo posted:

yeah you’re probably right. I was thinking the elastic strap or the mask would rip before the superglue bonding would break. however, I would be concerned about superglue melting through the mask or something.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

Two-part epoxy is messy and takes awhile to fully set but it is strong as poo poo and only a few dollars

hrm i don't have any desire to go to my work to pick some up, i could try some e6000 or shoe goo though

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Watching these protests made me think about how the police rely on most of us being too busy to fight our daily oppression. 50% unemployment about to fill the streets and eat these pigs alive

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

mastershakeman posted:

Has anyone here ever been tested to see if they had the flu . Maybe it's more common than I think.

Regardless , all but a few states are running testing and reporting for political purposes. Even if they didn't have control of tests and reports, they'd still be reopening because every single donor at the local level is screaming that their debt financing can't be serviced due to shutdowns. If no one can stay home because they're forced to work to not be evicted, testing doesn't really matter beyond morbid curiosity.

Schools are gonna open up nationally in ten or twelve weeks, there's nothing that can be done since the people in charge don't care

Edit notre Dame college is opening up 8/11 , they might be the first. That's 11 weeks from now

Anyone that goes to a hospital with flu symptoms gets tested for influenza A and B, along with a big ol panel of other respiratory infections. This is done on all covid patients as well because you definitely want to know all the lurking jerms you need to tailor your therapy for. Every patient that enters a hospital during flu season is asked about having gotten the vaccine and if they hadn't they're gonna get it unless they make a big poo poo fit about it because they are a loving moron. The flu is such an invisible enemy BECAUSE OF the decades of science and aggressive screening/prevention against it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Asproigerosis posted:

Anyone that goes to a hospital with flu symptoms gets tested for influenza A and B, along with a big ol panel of other respiratory infections. This is done on all covid patients as well because you definitely want to know all the lurking jerms you need to tailor your therapy for. Every patient that enters a hospital during flu season is asked about having gotten the vaccine and if they hadn't they're gonna get it unless they make a big poo poo fit about it because they are a loving moron. The flu is such an invisible enemy BECAUSE OF the decades of science and aggressive screening/prevention against it.
Hoisted by my petard

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

so many of my coworkers are zooming in from their childhood bedrooms

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

empty whippet box posted:

I'm not sure I'm parsing this correctly but if I am, um, ... wow, holy poo poo.

SKULL.GIF posted:

so deaths are being undercounted by, I can't tell, 25% to 40%?

theflyingexecutive posted:

almost, you have to subtract the union though, the cases reported as both pneumonia and covid

e: people should bookmark the CDC provisional death count doc, it's updated every day.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

COVID-420 posted:

yikes, i'm doing planning for small community music festivals and we're not 100% about June 2021 return dates

i just don't think any of it is really going to work at scale, it's just all so contrary to the Spirit Of The Experience

theatre will survive, music will survive, cinema will survive. but the entertainment industry is gonna get decimated.

A touring company that originally had a show scheduled locally for April 2020 postponed the date to June and then just rescheduled it to April 2021

I have a feeling "show your badge to prove you've been vaccinated if you want us to let you in the theater/venue" will become a thing eventually

That would actually be a decent way to compel people to get vaccinated

"I CAN'T GO SEE A BASEBALL GAME BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THE VACCINE" cryposts galore

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lansdowne posted:

don't have the tweet but if you want direct sources the provisional death count from the cdc says florida has 5200 pneumonia deaths so far this year

combined with florida health dept stats say that pneumonia deaths are typically ~2 or 3 thousand for the entire year

poo poo yeah, this is damning. I don't know exactly how they're doing it, but they're covering up thousands of covid deaths while telling everyone it's perfectly okay to go back to life as normal.

If we lived in a just world, there'd be a war crimes tribunal and public executions.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

a bunch of states have big disparities there, I know Florida was just talked about last page but they're just the most blatant.
e: tbh not even the most blatant, maybe the most shameless and inept about concealing it I guess

the grapevine also says those states in particular are reporting probable covids as “heart failure” and “natural causes” the fucks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

snoo posted:

hrm i don't have any desire to go to my work to pick some up, i could try some e6000 or shoe goo though

e6000 will definitely come apart

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Flesh Forge posted:

e: people should bookmark the CDC provisional death count doc, it's updated every day.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

I cant think of anything less trustworthy than official cdc numbers

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's literally a massive coverup about how deadly and out of control this pandemic is because a bunch of governors want to please some whacked out, fat, dementia-riddled guy who was on a reality TV show a decade ago.

Literally tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of Americans are going to die because we need to please a screaming reality TV star.

*sigh*

anyway, i saw a dude out on a motorcycle the other night blasting music (lol when did bikers start playing music on their bikes like pussies) and it was the loving HHH theme song from WWE. I'm like "who actually just... like listens to wrestler theme songs"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

"Meet Some Cowards" is a snappier headline

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zberan Madowinty posted:

There's literally a massive coverup about how deadly and out of control this pandemic is because a bunch of governors want to please some whacked out, fat, dementia-riddled guy who was on a reality TV show a decade ago.

Literally tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of Americans are going to die because we need to please a screaming reality TV star.

*sigh*

anyway, i saw a dude out on a motorcycle the other night blasting music (lol when did bikers start playing music on their bikes like pussies) and it was the loving HHH theme song from WWE. I'm like "who actually just... like listens to wrestler theme songs"

no, they want to please their donors who, at the state level, are uniformly a ton of people who have huge amounts of debt financing on both the personal and business side and one missed week of business means they're brought to ruin because everything in our society is set up to run 'optimally' which means not one milligram of excess savings. congress helped the huge donors out and theyre all fat and happy with their stay at home work forces, every big fish in little pond is irrevocably hosed while they watch walmart and target stay open since they had pharmacies and groceries in 1/10th of their giant buildings

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

eric ciaramella posted:

they are absolutely being manipulated to make things appear better than they are, but look anyway because the *doctored version* still looks really loving bad

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zberan Madowinty posted:

lmao was it one of the Motörhead ones at least

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Zberan Madowinty posted:

"who actually just... like listens to wrestler theme songs"

ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGye1pK2ysQ

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

boomers horrified that they'll be treated like how they wish they could treat everyone they don't like

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1266071768948768775

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

thinking about all that value they add to society voting for millions to die in poverty

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
just got genetic testing back. Wife is due with a baby girl in November. If they keep schools closed, we're hosed. My existing kids are gonna drive me insane

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

lmao was it one of the Motörhead ones at least

It was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnQ8AlQLkQU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

eric ciaramella posted:

that's the kicker. If even a cursory glance at the official numbers brings up serious questions, how bad could the real numbers be?

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol "accused"

You could probably just fuckin find out if they did instead of this both sides horseshit NYT

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

oxsnard posted:

just got genetic testing back. Wife is due with a baby girl in November. If they keep schools closed, we're hosed. My existing kids are gonna drive me insane

lmao why are you having more kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

oxsnard posted:

how many kids do you need?