Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Well the last secretary of state ended up Governor so I was hoping Shemia Fagan could take a similar path. Besides, conducting fair elections has become a political policy issue, one which we can't even trust everyone with a D next to their name to handle the right way.

I wouldn't call Mingus Maps conservative. He was part of Eudaly's staff until she proved her self incompetent. Through union work it has been stressed to me time and again that previous Eudaly supporters have been deeply disappointed at her inability to handle the day to day tasks of governance. By comparison, everything good you've ever heard about Jo Ann Hardesty is an understatement. She and her team are rock stars.

Hope! https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/05/...ace-tightening/

Watching late returns is always fun. Interesting about Mapps. From what I saw he was mostly running on a be nicer to landlords and developers and neighborhood groups (i.e., nimby bs) but yeah that whole race was a mess because I wasn't voting for Chloe or Sam and I didn't really like what I saw about Mapps either but I'll take a closer look during the run-off. Also I mixed up the guy who's in the run-off against Smith, the dude I was thinking of was an also ran in the Chloe/Mingus/Adams race.

generic one posted:

I’m in WA, and I know our close elections can take like a week or more to finalize because of the whole mail-in only thing. I’m assuming that’d be similar in OR, or am I wrong there?

Like, one of our progressive Seattle City Council members was down on the day of the election last year (plus a few days post-election), but she had a pretty significant advantage in late returns and ended up winning.

One thing that's slightly different is that Oregon ballots have to be received by the election night cut-off whereas I believe yall are like California where it just has to be postmarked by the cut-off so that can delay things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Well the last secretary of state ended up Governor so I was hoping Shemia Fagan could take a similar path. Besides, conducting fair elections has become a political policy issue, one which we can't even trust everyone with a D next to their name to handle the right way.

I wouldn't call Mingus Maps conservative. He was part of Eudaly's staff until she proved her self incompetent. Through union work it has been stressed to me time and again that previous Eudaly supporters have been deeply disappointed at her inability to handle the day to day tasks of governance. By comparison, everything good you've ever heard about Jo Ann Hardesty is an understatement. She and her team are rock stars.

I'm on the sidelines here in Clackistan but it seems like Hardesty is the only Portland city commissioner with any goddamn sense at all. I like her a lot. I hope she runs for statewide office sometime.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

One thing that's slightly different is that Oregon ballots have to be received by the election night cut-off whereas I believe yall are like California where it just has to be postmarked by the cut-off so that can delay things.

Oh, yep. That’d do it. I wonder how much of a difference that makes. I gotta believe a lotta folks figure they can just drop their ballot off in the mail on the day of the election and still have those count. We’ve got drop-off boxes all over the place too, which are serviced by election officials, so as long as the ballot’s in the box by EOD for that election cycle, it gets counted.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Hardesty is welcome to take a stab at state office after she ushers in 1000 years of leftist darkness as Portland Mayor. I voted for Eudaly this go round because I was scared of Adams beating her outright in this election. Maps vs. Eudaly would be interesting. Honestly I barely even looked at Maps' policies so but I'm excited by the idea of a competent progressive going against Eudaly head to head.

Get hosed Sam, you failed social climbing creep.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

King reported 35 cases today, which is the lowest daily total since March 7th. Stay the course ya'll.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It's too bad that Fagan lost, she was the only one who seemed to understand that what Republicans are doing to Oregon's politics through the quorum needs to actually be fought. I think she and McLeod-Skinner just split the progressive vote. Mark Hass seems like he'll bring good improvements to the voting system, but wants nothing to do with state politics getting assaulted by Republicans running amok.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hardesty is welcome to take a stab at state office after she ushers in 1000 years of leftist darkness as Portland Mayor. I voted for Eudaly this go round because I was scared of Adams beating her outright in this election. Maps vs. Eudaly would be interesting. Honestly I barely even looked at Maps' policies so but I'm excited by the idea of a competent progressive going against Eudaly head to head.

Mapps is running on "support neighborhood associations / single-family housing". Eudaly is running on "support tenants rights no matter the cost". Neither of them seem like winners to me, though the folks I know who are involved in Portland neighborhood associations love Mingus and detest Eudaly.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 21, 2020

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Fagan hasn't lost yet. http://www.wweek.com/news/2020/05/20/nearly-100000-ballots-remain-to-be-counted-in-oregons-five-largest-counties/

Cling to these rare moments when better things are still technically possible.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Fagan hasn't lost yet. http://www.wweek.com/news/2020/05/20/nearly-100000-ballots-remain-to-be-counted-in-oregons-five-largest-counties/

Cling to these rare moments when better things are still technically possible.

https://results.oregonvotes.gov/resultsSW.aspx?type=SWPAR&map=CTY and look at the county results. I mean, hard to know for sure, but Hass cleaned up in Clack, Washington, Marion, and it was pretty even in Multnomah. So those 10k outstanding in Lane County might need to do some heavy lifting unless the places left outstanding elsewhere are bucking the general trend.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

generic one posted:

Oh, yep. That’d do it. I wonder how much of a difference that makes. I gotta believe a lotta folks figure they can just drop their ballot off in the mail on the day of the election and still have those count. We’ve got drop-off boxes all over the place too, which are serviced by election officials, so as long as the ballot’s in the box by EOD for that election cycle, it gets counted.

That's what I do.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Sam Adams had sex with a minor whose name was Beau Breedlove. I really appreciate the unintentional comedy of that being his downfall, although it doesn't change that he's super gross.

Also disappearing to the coast while NE Portland was getting shot up was pretty funny.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is there any kind of automatic recount threshold for primaries? .5 percent is a hell of a margin to shrug your shoulders at for a statewide race.

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

https://results.oregonvotes.gov/resultsSW.aspx?type=SWPAR&map=CTY and look at the county results. I mean, hard to know for sure, but Hass cleaned up in Clack, Washington, Marion, and it was pretty even in Multnomah. So those 10k outstanding in Lane County might need to do some heavy lifting unless the places left outstanding elsewhere are bucking the general trend.

That link currently has Fagan up 2,500 votes.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 21, 2020

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is there any kind of automatic recount threshold for primaries? .5 percent is a hell of a margin to shrug your shoulders at for a statewide race.

That link currently has Fagan up 2,500 votes.

Nice! Looks like the gap tightened in Multnomah and Washington county. This is why reading tea leaves and partial results is a fools errand :)

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1263287212931600386

Looks like Fagan wins

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oregon elections aren't looking great. The most progressive candidate for Portland City Commissioner is in 4th place, Wheeler might win outright tonight, and the dem Secretary of State Primary is ever so slightly going against the union backed candidate. Could be a lot worse but an incumbency/establishment advantage amidst the Covid crisis seems clear.

Some bright spots: Schmidt got DA, gas tax and homelessness initiative passed resoundingly.

The Biden thing is loving shameful tho, but what can I say, Trump broke boomer brains.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, Eudaly's sub-par, but Hardesty is a godsend.

therobit posted:

I'm on the sidelines here in Clackistan but it seems like Hardesty is the only Portland city commissioner with any goddamn sense at all. I like her a lot. I hope she runs for statewide office sometime.

That would be cool, too, tho Comissioner is such an important office in PDX that it would be sad to lose someone with sense.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hardesty as Mayor would be great.

This makes me really happy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Some bright spots: Schmidt got DA, gas tax and homelessness initiative passed resoundingly.

The Biden thing is loving shameful tho, but what can I say, Trump broke boomer brains.

Yeah, Eudaly's sub-par, but Hardesty is a godsend.

That would be cool, too, tho Comissioner is such an important office in PDX that it would be sad to lose someone with sense.

Hardesty as Mayor would be great.

This makes me really happy.

LOL

quote:

The Oregonian/OregonLive, in a rare and serious error in its elections modeling, mistakenly called the race after 10 p.m. Tuesday for Sen. Mark Hass, who in fact came in second by about half of a percentage point after more results came in Wednesday.

The newsroom’s usually reliable modeling did not sufficiently account for slower results due to the coronavirus pandemic, said Therese Bottomly, editor, who made the final call. “We got it wrong,” Bottomly said. “I unreservedly apologize to Sen. Fagan, Sen. Hass, their supporters and our readers.”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What the gently caress the CHUDs are having a surprise car show out by me, just all parked in a park parking lot and started popping the hoods of their sports cars. It’s not classic cars either all later model sports cars.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol the lot just half emptied out everybody that didn’t have an sports car has bailed.

Ahaha, sports cars are leaving now too. They didn’t even last the time it took to post.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Yakima entering The Cool Zone

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Exactly, and now we have assholes screaming about how contact tracing is illegal and it’s the government spying on you and so on. I’m just hoping it’s bots but who really knows.

But yeah, I can’t say I was a huge booster of Inslee before this but he’s been absolutely solid.

Well, the poo poo private entities want TO DO with contact tracing should be illegal, especially since they are just doing it all in an unregulated manner on behalf of natsec apparatus, but instead surveillance products are being put forward as the solution instead of...you know, poo poo that we know works in these situations time and again: healthcare, financial support, and strict social distancing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

https://twitter.com/ClarkCoWA_PH/status/1265748070211497984?s=20

Lol we were about to reopen. Probably still will, chuds will throw a shitfit if their haircuts get delayed.

My fav is the gun hoarder replying to that tweet asking clarity on the race of the people at the Firestone pacific plant who got covid. Hmmmmmmmm.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pander posted:

https://twitter.com/ClarkCoWA_PH/status/1265748070211497984?s=20

Lol we were about to reopen. Probably still will, chuds will throw a shitfit if their haircuts get delayed.

My fav is the gun hoarder replying to that tweet asking clarity on the race of the people at the Firestone pacific plant who got covid. Hmmmmmmmm.

There is a slight way that I sympathize with the chuds on this one. I mean I'm not arguing we should re-open or that my hair is worth someone risking dying. I got laid off due to Covid though and I have to do zoom interviews and my hair is starting to look shaggy :/ and I don't know what to do because a terrible haircut is worse than shaggy.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

There is a slight way that I sympathize with the chuds on this one. I mean I'm not arguing we should re-open or that my hair is worth someone risking dying. I got laid off due to Covid though and I have to do zoom interviews and my hair is starting to look shaggy :/ and I don't know what to do because a terrible haircut is worse than shaggy.

I would wager a guess that if you can find an out of work barber they would probably be willing to come to your house or you go to theirs. Don't know a friend of a friend that cuts hair?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I would wager a guess that if you can find an out of work barber they would probably be willing to come to your house or you go to theirs. Don't know a friend of a friend that cuts hair?

I do not, I moved to Portland 6 months ago and my social circle is relatively small.

I mean it's fine, hair is hair people will be understanding. But I understand the desire to get a hair cut even if their conclusion is totally wrong.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I know a lot of people who are cutting their own hair or making family do it. I'm close to buying a trimmer and threatening my girlfriend that I'm going to do it myself and look horrible if she doesn't cut it for me.

Seattle Times has an interesting article about how COVID infections are now trending younger as people are going back to work and socialize more - Half of newly diagnosed coronavirus cases in Washington are in people under 40. Not looking great for the chances of controlling things and moving through the phases quickly.

Edit: and some actually cool news - a property management company that issued eviction notices during coronavirus is going to pay $300k to their tenants in a combo of rent forgiveness and cash, plus an extra $50k to the state for attorney's fees and etc. Thanks Bob Ferguson! https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...cement-lawsuit/

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 28, 2020

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

If you don't have an emotional attachment or whatever to your hair just shave your head.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I posted it in another thread but I saw police breaking up a gathering in Snoqualmie yesterday along the river. It was exactly the thing that article is talking about.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

If you don't have an emotional attachment or whatever to your hair just shave your head.

Yeah I won’t get a job as a valuation expert / financial consultant if I shave my head. I did it once before and I look like a thug.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

gohuskies posted:

Edit: and some actually cool news - a property management company that issued eviction notices during coronavirus is going to pay $300k to their tenants in a combo of rent forgiveness and cash, plus an extra $50k to the state for attorney's fees and etc. Thanks Bob Ferguson! https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...cement-lawsuit/

Ferguson is a champ.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shifty Nipples posted:

That's what I did. I mean, if you're not balding, your hair is gonna grow back.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

seiferguy posted:

That's what I did. I mean, if you're not balding, your hair is gonna grow back.

and if you are balding you have literally nothing to lose now that being bald is considered a good look generally

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah I won’t get a job as a valuation expert / financial consultant if I shave my head. I did it once before and I look like a thug.

You just have to wear a really smart suit.

Also glasses help in that situation, if you wear them.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
aww yiss long hair gonna make a comeba-

*people threatening to cut their own hair out of sheer desperation to fit in*

gently caress

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Freakazoid_ posted:

gently caress

Half of the coworkers I have fall either into "gently caress it, shave it off" and "how long can I make this?" When we get into our zoom calls!

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Freakazoid_ posted:

gently caress

I'm glad I started the whole long hair thing 5 years ago. I have had to cut my wife's hair twice, but she keeps it pretty short so it has been easy.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Looks like the protests here have lit off early. Already seeing cops pepperspraying people near the downtown library.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

pdx protesters set fire to the justice center :eyepop:

they also trashed the apple store :hellyeah:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

pdx protesters set fire to the justice center :eyepop:

they also trashed the apple store :hellyeah:

and lightly pillaged Target

Robert Evans is still doing live, not terribly interesting atm coverage on his twitter

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Chase Bank is on fire now apparently.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1266593953379307521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I was gonna go downtown today in seattle but looks like blm and dsa are at odds and its pouring rain so i guess not