Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Literally not problematic at all. You will still have an underground jungle but your surface jungle may go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
I thought about banners for easier invasion farming but I'm too lazy. Besides, you don't really need to bother on Classic.

Trickyblackjack posted:

Which attributes do people typically try to roll on their accessories with the Tinkerer? I'm torn between more Def or crit rate. I'm playing on Expert if that matters.

Loading up on defense has been amazing in Classic, you can tank bosses and even though the fights are longer it just means you get more time to learn their patterns.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bad Munki posted:

Goonlandia (random seed, large world)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCnlJz81igA

for any people still doubting, this video literally proves the corruption can't overtake the underground jungle

yes, i know there's a trench, but there's jungle in with the corruption that doesn't get overtaken at all

e: actually this looks like biomespread is off on the entire world, but that raises the question of why they dug trenches at all if that's the case

President Ark fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 28, 2020

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m having an issue with corruption and my jungle, but it’s Plantera specific. I’ve got corruption bracketing my jungle pretty tightly, and I’m trying to do a sideways tunnel for the second phase. But I can’t go long before we swap to corruption either left or right, and when I hit the threshold she frenzies and it’s lights out. I probably just need to make a bedroom and teleport back to my arena. Is there a jungle clentaminator fill I can use?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Trickyblackjack posted:

Which attributes do people typically try to roll on their accessories with the Tinkerer? I'm torn between more Def or crit rate. I'm playing on Expert if that matters.

i tend to stop at the first +4 or either defense, damage, or crit chance

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Velius posted:

I’m having an issue with corruption and my jungle, but it’s Plantera specific. I’ve got corruption bracketing my jungle pretty tightly, and I’m trying to do a sideways tunnel for the second phase. But I can’t go long before we swap to corruption either left or right, and when I hit the threshold she frenzies and it’s lights out. I probably just need to make a bedroom and teleport back to my arena. Is there a jungle clentaminator fill I can use?

not exactly - https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Clentaminator - you can convert glowing mushroom to jungle and vice-versa, but not corruption

for your problem i prescribe sticky dynamite; bomb out the bits that are causing it and replace it with mud

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I just go for damage or movement speed

on any difficulty past normal defense isn't worth it imo; the enemies' damage scales up too rapidly

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm really only interested in defense from accessories, the real survival work is in potion preparation imo.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I stack defense through early hardmode then switch to full dps around golem

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm really only interested in defense from accessories, the real survival work is in potion preparation imo.

Someone need herbs? Master difficulty large world, so everything here was built 'legit'.

With this big of a farm, I don't even bother with the staff of regrowth anymore; I just use smart cursor replace and run down the rows with the appropriate seed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Personally, I tend to favour the Lucky brand. I find it more useful than standard damage if you can get it high enough - a crit does twice the maximum damage of a weapon plus 40% additional knockback. Every percent of +crit is essentially as good as a percent of +damage on average, but it also stacks with +damage in exciting ways as well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And with a bunch of accessories reforged to Lucky, it doesn't take long to start pushing 100% crit chance on a lot of weapons.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Exactly. And since there are a lot of accessories and armors that give +damage to a weapon type anyway... Well, it adds up.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
All you people talking about how hard this guy is to find and meanwhile he's chilling in my unfinished subway. I have run into him at least 10-20 times during the course of these subways.. haha.

e. Oh hi Tom, what are you doing in there?

e2. and yet another skelly merchie

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 28, 2020

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The rule is that he's only hard to find when you want what he's got.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That’s really the best way to find him, to make a track across the world a bit above hell. Run back and forth for a bit and he’ll show up. Easy way to find the wizard, too.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
Thoughts / Opinions:

Is it better to start Master Mode from complete scratch for a hard as freaking heckers experience?

Or is it better to use a character that has some gear from Expert mode pre-hard world?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Depends on your frustration tolerance. I tried starting a new character on Master and you die fast. As in, two hits from standard trash mobs fast. It's more annoying than challenging, at least in the early game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I beat Skeletron last night unprepared. Talked to some old man and asked him about his curse, but apparently t hat is the trigger to start the fight. I was lucky there was a nice sand dune right outside the dungeon that made it easy to maneuver around him safely. My demonite mace and slime-boi summon made fair work of him. I had accidentally left my potions at home on my last visit to dump inventory, so only had a couple to use and had to be careful. Went exploring inside, collecting me many bones and books. Water bounce spell is fun in these little hallways, found a nice shiny blue mace, more shadow keys than i can manage (looked it up today and i only need to keep one... RIP all the things I tossed to pick up new shadow keys).

I definitely think I need to go to jungle next, get spores, then summon another worm for new scales to make these void bags. Spelunking is so stressful and I hate picking up new inventory trinkets but having to store em because i need inventory space for some dumb thing I dont know what it does yet.

Is dungeon a biome you can build a town in? Found several new NPCs on my dungeon delve, goblin guy, mechanic lady, and some weird dude selling... tower defense stuff? I'm figuring you buy the stuff, set up a crystal, and then if you survive some wave of enemies you get to keep the towers as defense structures using a specific tower-defense-resource? I spent most of my money on something I meant to ask about but already forgot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Is dungeon a biome you can build a town in? Found several new NPCs on my dungeon delve, goblin guy, mechanic lady, and some weird dude selling... tower defense stuff? I'm figuring you buy the stuff, set up a crystal, and then if you survive some wave of enemies you get to keep the towers as defense structures using a specific tower-defense-resource? I spent most of my money on something I meant to ask about but already forgot.
It's basically a tower defense mini-game mode. You can use the staffs outside of it, but it will allow you to summon only one at a time instead of bunches.

And no, the dungeon is just where those NPCs spawn, they'll move into any kind of dwelling just fine.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

Depends on your frustration tolerance. I tried starting a new character on Master and you die fast. As in, two hits from standard trash mobs fast. It's more annoying than challenging, at least in the early game.

The secret for master mode early game is: melee is mostly junk, ranged is good. For the world I'm playing, my strategy was: best available bow plus fire/frostburn arrows until I smashed a heart for a musket, then the minishark when I got enough gold (wasn't terribly long thanks to fishing like mad). Bow is still quite relevant with jester arrows especially for goblin invasions.

Of course, these days I'm rocking a Sunfury for melee / close range and flamelash / demon scythe for mid/longrange. Sunfury is OP.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Before you trigger hardmode, make a big horizontal tunnel through the map just above hell. Drain any lava that you encounter. Next, while it's still easy to build there (no hardmode spider nests), line the bottom with mud and start the spread of some blue mushroom seed.

This tunnel will become a valuable way to get around post-wall-of-flesh, from which to access the deepest titanium/adamantium deposits.

Your tunnel will also immediately be an easy source of Truffle worms if you just run down it at full speed with a net. It will be deep enough for them to actually spawn.

As soon as you get Clentiminator you'll also be able to quickly turn the whole tunnel's mud into Jungle with a few shots downstream as you run. Now you have a life fruit and plantera farm in exchange for some or all of your truffle worm farm.

What else oughta be on my checklist now before I kill fleshy? Should I purify all the crimson? Is there any way to make that less of a gently caress around than I'm thinking it is?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m not sure if it’s good on Master difficulty, but the Bee Bow made short work of Skeletron. I used it in the Dungeon and I couldn’t hear anything except hit sounds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

What else oughta be on my checklist now before I kill fleshy? Should I purify all the crimson? Is there any way to make that less of a gently caress around than I'm thinking it is?
Don't bother with that. Once you get into hardmode, a new NPC will offer a weapon that can purify large stretches of terrain at a time. It makes it really easy to clean up all of your map's surface corruption within minutes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
One other thing the game loves to throw at me is Lost Girls on unfinished subway floors. Seems I've killed 13 of them now and most of those were from building these.

Right, 3 more subways going west are now complete. That bottom one was .. interesting, what with all the jungle it went through. So. Many. Hornets. But it's done, and I now have safe passage through the jungle caverns just under the Temple.

maybe it's time to kill wall now, if i don't get distracted by more mega projects

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 28, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

please tell me those sky triangles are revealed map and not a complex series of hedrons youve constructed

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

please tell me those sky triangles are revealed map and not a complex series of hedrons youve constructed

Grav-potion unrevealed map, yes. I took my saves off the cloud to do manual backups after the save corruption reports, and it forgot my world exploration up to that point.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Now I kind of want to construct a series of hedrons

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I always make a point if I can to fly through the black and cut it down. I couldn't live without the flying carpet now

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are there any inventory editors for 1.4 yet?

because i've spent enough time in the dungeon I have banners for every rare spawn and have still not seen armor polish or an adhesive bandage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ has been updated for 1.4

It's fiddly but once you get the hang of it it's fine.

Also, there's an option there to just unlock all research for Journey mode characters. I used that for my kid's game so she can have whatever she wants.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Just got 300 fallen stars in one night (guessing a plentiful star shower) thanks to my top-of-the-map spanning platform with minecart track above at the edge of Treasure Magnet range. That makes ~2100 fallen stars in my ammo storage now.. should be plenty for star cannoning both Wall and Destroyer a few times plus clowning on wyverns, unless there's a hardmode pre-mechanical boss equivalent that does more damage.

It's been literally ~4 years since I last did anything on hardmode, so I'm taking the time to be extra extra prepared.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Are there any inventory editors for 1.4 yet?

because i've spent enough time in the dungeon I have banners for every rare spawn and have still not seen armor polish or an adhesive bandage.

download the latest cheat engine table and change the items baseid, then log out and back in and the item will magically transform

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ambaire posted:

Just got 300 fallen stars in one night (guessing a plentiful star shower) thanks to my top-of-the-map spanning platform with minecart track above at the edge of Treasure Magnet range. That makes ~2100 fallen stars in my ammo storage now.. should be plenty for star cannoning both Wall and Destroyer a few times plus clowning on wyverns, unless there's a hardmode pre-mechanical boss equivalent that does more damage.

It's been literally ~4 years since I last did anything on hardmode, so I'm taking the time to be extra extra prepared.

Sadly, nothing pre mech bosses, but the Travelling Merchant will then sell a Super Star Shooter, a Star Cannon with +15 damage, as well as knockback, which allows it to get more Gun modifiers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also every time a star hits several other stars fly in from off-screen and target the same spot, with piercing. I was just watching a video and a guy was getting between 1500 and 3000 dps against the destroyer with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've come to the conclusion that dune splicers are the worst enemy in the entire game. Thank god they are confined to one lovely place.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Internet Kraken posted:

I've come to the conclusion that dune splicers are the worst enemy in the entire game. Thank god they are confined to one lovely place.

.. Yes. I killed the Wall and my immediate priority was to contain the corruption and hallow before they had a chance to spread much. Doing the divider for the cavern corruption/desert was a hilarious splatterfest. But I got it in the end, and then had pretty much no trouble at all for the hallow ones.

Time to farm souls for wings and then fish a lot.

Also, I have zero regrets about the number of hellevator/subway dividers I did. They're going to help a LOT.

e. treasure magnet so good. this is a snippet of my sky rail/platform. enemies cant jump or fly high enough before i pass over them while it vacuums up all the stars

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 29, 2020

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Anyone know which NPC will sell the Mushroom Pylon? Because short of building a crappy little hut off the Truffles's house to put the guide in for proximity, I don't see it happening.

I tend to build houses a bit separated after this patch, so proximity is a pain for boosting happiness.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Truffle + Dryad worked for me.

Truffle will be the one selling it you just need to get him Happy enough, make the rooms a bit bigger etc. for that extra boost?

vvv If you're being cheesy like me you can research that special one on the Puttrarria golf map which you should definitely try either way. I think I only hit ~75-80% completion on my Bestiary.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I didn't even know there was a Mushroom Pylon

I also just learned that after you 100% the Bestiary, there's a Universal Pylon that works anywhere non-evil and doesn't require NPCs around to function.

Spoiler'd that in case people want to find out for themselves.