Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

klosterdev posted:

y'all could have bought Intel phones while you had the chance to disarm a monopoly :colbert:

Yeah but we wanted phones that could operate on a battery for more than an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am legitimately still annoyed with how intel bungled that effort. as comedy as it may seem i don't think the instruction set had much to do with the problems, and had they managed to do it right we'd have a phone which would have been possible to boot and run without a ton of magic incantations and binary blobs.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

intel ... possible to boot and run without a ton of magic incantations and binary blobs.

lmao, this is hilarious.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

lmao, this is hilarious.

hmm? i mean, the x86 pc setup is pretty messy, but it is all publicly documented, and while the atom line caused a lot of changes they filtered into new versions of that public documentation.

for drivers intel is pretty much the best around for open-sourcing their stuff to the extent possible.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 26, 2020

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

we'd have a phone which would have been possible to boot and run without a ton of magic incantations and binary blobs.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i know it is not a very important thing in real life, and we're none of us really suffering because phones are entirely proprietary monoliths where in only the very best cases even the manufacturer might be able to change the software (notably neither the os vendor or device manufacturer can usually fully do that on android), but obviously the iphone is as proprietary as anything can be.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

klosterdev posted:

y'all could have bought Intel phones while you had the chance to disarm a monopoly :colbert:
Didn't the Intel chip have like 70% compatibility rate with Android apps at the time? Combined with Motorola's poo poo rear end screen that was such a weird phone to be stuck with for that long

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hmm? i mean, the x86 pc setup is pretty messy, but it is all publicly documented, and while the atom line caused a lot of changes they filtered into new versions of that public documentation.

for drivers intel is pretty much the best around for open-sourcing their stuff to the extent possible.

lol. booting an intel chip requires a bunch of blobs from intel, which do magical things like microcode loading, ddr training, chipset configuration, and other things you aren’t allowed to know about. oh and sometimes they’ll tell you “oops, boot failed, try again” and you reset the chip and start over.

you don’t see all that stuff because it lives in the boot rom and the motherboard/chipset vendor does that for you.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what's the system RMS uses because it has a "free" cpu?

give OP one of those

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
alternatively, one of these

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

give OP one of those

every time I see his name I have a sensible chuckle about his secret horny business cards that he gave to women

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

give OP one of those

thinkpad t400 with some free bios thing on it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

lol. booting an intel chip requires a bunch of blobs from intel, which do magical things like microcode loading, ddr training, chipset configuration, and other things you aren’t allowed to know about. oh and sometimes they’ll tell you “oops, boot failed, try again” and you reset the chip and start over.

you don’t see all that stuff because it lives in the boot rom and the motherboard/chipset vendor does that for you.

you also cannot set the chip down by itself on your desk and shout at it and have it do things. the point is with an android phone you cannot do anything reliably before you're in the userspace of whatever hacked kernel it shipped with. apple is kind of a red herring since it is proprietary on another level. the promise of an intel soc that worked was that you might be able to actually put some code into a boot region and bring up any kernel you wanted without a ton of guesswork.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they're making another razr

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

a 4G clamshell dumb phone would be rad tho

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
what could possibly go wrong?

quote:

Samsung copies the Apple Card, announces “Samsung Money”

Samsung announces a physical debit card and SoFi money management account.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/05/samsung-copies-the-apple-card-announces-samsung-money/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nothing new really. since neither apple nor samsung are doing a card, they're just licensing their name, and indirectly their users, to be hosed over by financial institutions

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nothing new really. since neither apple nor samsung are doing a card, they're just licensing their name, and indirectly their users, to be hosed over by financial institutions

the apple card is an actual credit card. this samsung thing is a debit card + online bank account, because nobody would extend broke android users a line of credit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

the apple card is an actual credit card. this samsung thing is a debit card + online bank account, because nobody would extend broke android users a line of credit

so apple using their brand loyalty to sell out their users to loving goldman sachs is good actually because goldman will let them accrue some debt?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so apple using their brand loyalty to sell out their users to loving goldman sachs is good actually because goldman will let them accrue some debt?

i'm not sure how you get from "not the same thing" to "good"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

"actual" has positive connotations, but as long as we can all agree that tech companies issuing (well, "issuing") cards and cozying up with financial nonsense is bad and dumb i'm happy.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hifi posted:

they're making another razr

they are fixing the problems they said!

no not the screen exploding after a week

the short battery life problem

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, if they up the battery life a bit they can make an actual port-less phone, as the expected lifetime of the initial battery charge will exceed the mtbf of the screen.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anrands don't care if their new phone only lasts a week cause they're going to buy whatever comes out next anyway cause this time it'll be so good lmao suck it crapple sheep

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

android users: simultaneously too broke to get a credit card but constantly able to afford 1.5k$ phones

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they are fixing the problems they said!

no not the screen exploding after a week

the short battery life problem

not sure about that

quote:

We can start ringing alarm bells now over the purported 2845mAh battery. This would be a small battery for a 4G phone and is worst-in-class for a more power-hungry 5G device. 4G smartphones with similar-sized batteries, the Pixel 4 (2800mAh) and first-gen Razr (2510mAh), already suffer from poor battery life, and piling the extra power demands of 5G on top of this doesn't sound like a great idea.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

android users: simultaneously too broke to get a credit card but constantly able to afford 1.5k$ phones

this isn't that weird tbh

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

as long as we can all agree that tech companies issuing (well, "issuing") cards and cozying up with financial nonsense is bad and dumb i'm happy.

sure im on board with this, but some convex combination of [apple, goldman sachs] has paid me $309.13 to get me to buy things with that card, so :shrug:

the only thing really unique about it is 3% cash back from apple itself, which has come in handy for my wifes apple watch christmas present, iphone se2 for my mother in law, and sometime this year a new macbook since my wifes 2013 mbp wont get security updates anymore

oh and streaming services on the apple tv, those are 3% cash back too if they go through apple

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

this thread is fine when its laughing at google or android handsets but when android users come up it quickly reveals yospos's gross undercurrent of classism

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol that the andorodird user excuse was "apple is too expensive" right up until Samsung blew past the iPhone price points without breaking a sweat

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jenny Agutter posted:

this thread is fine when its laughing at google or android handsets but when android users come up it quickly reveals yospos's gross undercurrent of classism

you must be confused. it’s not an undercurrent, we are very open about our classism.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's in the yospos rule book

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Lysidas posted:

sure im on board with this, but some convex combination of [apple, goldman sachs] has paid me $309.13 to get me to buy things with that card, so :shrug:

the only thing really unique about it is 3% cash back from apple itself, which has come in handy for my wifes apple watch christmas present, iphone se2 for my mother in law, and sometime this year a new macbook since my wifes 2013 mbp wont get security updates anymore

oh and streaming services on the apple tv, those are 3% cash back too if they go through apple

wow, amazing consumption. keep it up!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

my iphone cost $100

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my iphone cost $100

you’ll be the first against the wall when the proletariat rise up, elitist scum

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
just took the “tell us about your new se” product survey and when they finally asked about the size of the phone i took every opportunity to remind them that their feature of “4.7 inch body that fits comfortably in one hand” is a lie and they need to bring back the se 2016 body

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i think it's cost me $20/year by this point

i hope the people rise up and seize the power they deserve

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mod saas posted:

just took the “tell us about your new se” product survey and when they finally asked about the size of the phone i took every opportunity to remind them that their feature of “4.7 inch body that fits comfortably in one hand” is a lie and they need to bring back the se 2016 body

how big are your hands (thumb to pinky)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

an iphone you bought 5 years ago for $100 isn't really inspiring confidence in me. i'd rather have whatever motorola crap is out now, although i'd be the first to admit that motorola has taken a nose dive since google sold them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'm not an android-haver because I'm poor

im an android-haver because I'm a dirty cheapskate