Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

Skate 2, I want Skate 2.

Yeah this is what I want as well. Oh well, I actually have an OG Xbox and an Xbox 360 now hooked up to my old TV so I might need to start picking up stuff like that that's never going BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That's nice but doesn't do anything for a game that's no longer compatible.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

That's nice but doesn't do anything for a game that's no longer compatible.
This is going to be .03% of all titles. You're really taking a single quote of a guy covering his rear end and trying to make it into a big deal,.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cojawfee posted:

Skate 2, I want Skate 2.

honest question from a major Skate stan: why 2? just because it's the only one not BC or is there something about it you like more than 1 or 3? I love skate but I only ever play 1 or 3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Intel&Sebastian posted:

honest question from a major Skate stan: why 2? just because it's the only one not BC or is there something about it you like more than 1 or 3?

It's the best of both worlds. Skate 1 is fun and San Vanelona is fun to skate around but you can't get off the board and you can't do stuff like no complies. Skate 3 is fun but Port Carverton kind of sucks. It's a Tony Hawk style world where literally everything is made for skateboarding. It's all 200 foot long rails to do sick combos on. Everything is low ledges and ramps so you can do a jump and then do a 40 foot grind. The world is also full of giant ramps and huge vert jumps and drops. It's ok, but it's really boring when every part of the world is tailor made to give you a 200 foot long section of whatever to do a big combo. Or you can spawn in, drop down a ramp and then do a 1080 because it shot you 50 feet in the air. Skate 2 is still in San Vanelona where locations are a bit more realistic and you actually have to work towards figuring out a nice line. You could actually make a cool skate video part that looked like you were out in the real world. I had the most fun in Skate 2 with goonskate.

Edit: Skate 3 did add in a hardcore mode where you had to be really precise with the controls and you couldn't ollie as high, but what's the point when you're bombing down a giant hill with long rails and ramps on it and poo poo into the bottom of a dam where it just happens to be a vert ramp.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 29, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
1 had a really heavy frustrating control system, 3 was fine imo but I think people just thought it got a bit less realistic or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alan Wake lost the rights to all its music and MS renegotiated and GTAIV had to patch out its music as well, so it affects all level of games and is definitely something that will get your game delisted.

Music licensing outside of film is usually a clusterfuck due to taking the cheap way out and is why Beavis and Butthead and Daria rereleases are terrrrrible

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Holy crap this is way better than the PS5 backwards compat strategy. "thats nice" indeed

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hanyolo posted:

Holy crap this is way better than the PS5 backwards compat strategy. "thats nice" indeed

Welcome back.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

This is going to be .03% of all titles.

Probably, although still initial statements really had this as "this will 100% replace your Xbox One" and this is starting to sound shaky within certain contexts, pretty similar to statements Sony has made about the PS5's PS4 BC.

I know they said XBSX would be compatible with all XB1 accessories, but I wonder if likely candidates for the chopping block will be Kinect games (I'd be fine with those being the .03%).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Cojawfee posted:

It's the best of both worlds. Skate 1 is fun and San Vanelona is fun to skate around but you can't get off the board and you can't do stuff like no complies. Skate 3 is fun but Port Carverton kind of sucks. It's a Tony Hawk style world where literally everything is made for skateboarding. It's all 200 foot long rails to do sick combos on. Everything is low ledges and ramps so you can do a jump and then do a 40 foot grind. The world is also full of giant ramps and huge vert jumps and drops. It's ok, but it's really boring when every part of the world is tailor made to give you a 200 foot long section of whatever to do a big combo. Or you can spawn in, drop down a ramp and then do a 1080 because it shot you 50 feet in the air. Skate 2 is still in San Vanelona where locations are a bit more realistic and you actually have to work towards figuring out a nice line. You could actually make a cool skate video part that looked like you were out in the real world. I had the most fun in Skate 2 with goonskate.

Edit: Skate 3 did add in a hardcore mode where you had to be really precise with the controls and you couldn't ollie as high, but what's the point when you're bombing down a giant hill with long rails and ramps on it and poo poo into the bottom of a dam where it just happens to be a vert ramp.

huh!

interesting.

I feel like 2 was the worst of both, the procedural feel of 1 is stripped out and the added moves/features from 3 that make up for it aren't there yet.

I don't recall the map very well because after I finished it I probably went back to play 1.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ErrEff posted:

Microsoft delisted the original Forza Horizon almost exactly 4 years after release (they gave it away to Gold subscribers shortly before it happened) which I can only guess was due to music licenses that they didn't want to renegotiate for.

I'm fairly certain that forza horizon 2 and forza 5 are also delisted (again 4 years) so yeah forza probably uses some kind of cheap time limited license. And I think it's more the car than the music but maybe a bit of both

Gran turismo 6 is not available for purchase digitally either.

Remember how Ace Combat 7 had Ace Combat 5/6 as a pre-order bonus only? Because they can't legally sell those old games anymore for the airplane licenses but they're okay to give it away for free.

It's such a weird situation.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmfao I remember the first day Goonskate went up and it wasn't clear yet that it was going to be a realism focused thing and I uploaded a Tony Hawk style mega combo wombo video and for years afterwards people would post comments on it calling me a loving moron and to gently caress off

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao I remember the first day Goonskate went up and it wasn't clear yet that it was going to be a realism focused thing and I uploaded a Tony Hawk style mega combo wombo video and for years afterwards people would post comments on it calling me a loving moron and to gently caress off

Every video I put up was me trying to do a bunch of laser flips and ending up just doing a bunch of pop shoveits.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've been stacking semi-realism clips for years in skate 3 and I will unleash and edited vid someday

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

huh!

interesting.

I feel like 2 was the worst of both, the procedural feel of 1 is stripped out and the added moves/features from 3 that make up for it aren't there yet.

I don't recall the map very well because after I finished it I probably went back to play 1.

If they make a Skate 4 and give it a fun world that's fun to skate in, that would be great. Skate 3 had all kinds of cool things added to it but the world was just a dud for me.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
We're probably a few years away from 360 emulation being usable, so

eBay that copy of NCAA 14 while it's worth something

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://twitter.com/intelSEBASTIAN/status/1242981064735248386?s=20

https://twitter.com/intelSEBASTIAN/status/1242988650826063872?s=20

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Cojawfee posted:

If they make a Skate 4 and give it a fun world that's fun to skate in, that would be great. Skate 3 had all kinds of cool things added to it but the world was just a dud for me.

I'm sure Skate 1 has a much higher ratio of good spots to total area, but I suspect if I really drilled down and counted how many spots I really like from both 1 and 3 I would be surprised at how close it is. I do agree with the sentiment that too much of 3 feels purpose built to be boom boom huck jammed on and not enough feels realistic or challenging you to make it your own.

My favorite area from Skate 1 was the DIY park and they added that to 3 so there's that too.

Edit: I'm also reasonably sure they will never ever make a Skate 4.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ErrEff posted:

Microsoft delisted the original Forza Horizon almost exactly 4 years after release (they gave it away to Gold subscribers shortly before it happened) which I can only guess was due to music licenses that they didn't want to renegotiate for.

They did this with Forza Horizon 2 also. I’m curious if the same happens to 3.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ErrEff posted:

I would have assumed it was to do with licensing real life cars.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Twerk from Home posted:

They did this with Forza Horizon 2 also. I’m curious if the same happens to 3.

They've done this on a regular 4-year cycle with every Forza game since Forza 3 on the 360, and since the first Forza Horizon they've given away the game on GWG in September before it gets delisted. When they removed Forza 6 last fall, they also slashed the "all the DLC in one package" bundle from $100 to $5 before they removed it.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

univbee posted:

Probably, although still initial statements really had this as "this will 100% replace your Xbox One" and this is starting to sound shaky within certain contexts, pretty similar to statements Sony has made about the PS5's PS4 BC.

I know they said XBSX would be compatible with all XB1 accessories, but I wonder if likely candidates for the chopping block will be Kinect games (I'd be fine with those being the .03%).

I curious about possible controller changes - I really want to pick up the Elite 2, but if there's a significant difference in the new DPad or latency reduction techniques they're talking about I don't want to waste the money.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hanyolo posted:

its the same strategy. its hardware based compatibility with better resolution and frame rate where possible.

univbee posted:

i mean its the same thing any hardware backwards compatibility has to deal with. there are a handful of ds games that dont run on 3ds, ps1 games that dont work on ps2 etc. its normal.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

i mean its the same thing any hardware backwards compatibility has to deal with. there are a handful of ds games that dont run on 3ds, ps1 games that dont work on ps2 etc. its normal.

This is true, but the licensing comment is weird. Come to think of it, I think the guy they interviewed may have mixed up a few things in his head and this is a misstatement, it doesn't really make sense in that context. Either that or there are some games with licenses where they are ONLY allowed to work on an Xbox One. It's a bit like how I'm pretty sure a bunch of PS1/PS2 era games, especially Japanese ones, are contractually obligated to enforce the region lock (Japan is extremely controlling of its media and it's not uncommon for them to legally prevent their product from being functional outside of the country through always-online DRM or similar).

Speaking of old titles being left behind, there's a "Rockin' Action Sale" on Xbox. One of the games on sale is Shape Up. Thing is, this is one of those games where Kinect is required, and it's not indicated anywhere that this is the case (no "Kinect Required" on the game's poster, and no mention of Kinect at all in the product description). So...don't buy that if you're hoping to shed the COVID 19 (pounds) unless you actually have a Kinect hooked up to your XB1.

I'd consider it but hooking up the Kinect and that adapter is a loving mess of cables and I'm trying really hard to do away with that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ineffiable posted:

I'm fairly certain that forza horizon 2 and forza 5 are also delisted (again 4 years) so yeah forza probably uses some kind of cheap time limited license. And I think it's more the car than the music but maybe a bit of both

Forza 5 is delisted from the store but I was able to buy and redeem a code for it and download/install/play it just fine and without issue. The game has no licensed music either but does feature cars that weren't in later games so I think it was licensing issues with one manufacturer (Toyota, I think) that caused problems there. Cool that there's still ways to get some delisted games however and I know Forza 5 is the black sheep of the series but it reminds me a lot of Gran Turismo 3 and also has the best version of the Nordschleife in any game so it's a fave of mine :3:

Also that BC talk about being able to increase framerates on older titles is insane. I never thought something like that would be possible aside from games with drops running smoothly from the extra power, but actually increasing the limit is amazing and really impressive technically. The way they've been handling BC is fantastic.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have read somewhere that Xbox is not going to downclock to achieve better compatibility with old games. Thats freaking cool. It mean our old games would run much better on the new console and (*read post upthread*) look better. The price will be some titles may not work "out of the box" and thats sad, but the possibility of getting old games to shine is glorious.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Tei posted:

I have read somewhere that Xbox is not going to downclock to achieve better compatibility with old games. Thats freaking cool. It mean our old games would run much better on the new console and (*read post upthread*) look better. The price will be some titles may not work "out of the box" and thats sad, but the possibility of getting old games to shine is glorious.

Many Xbox and Xbox 360 games run better and look better on the One and One X right now. The backwards compatibility program is amazing, and what they're doing with the Series X is a natural progression of that.

I doubt that many, if any, games that run on the Xbox One right now won't run on the Series X at all.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, what they did with the original Read Dead Redemption for example is awesome. Could have just got it running and called it a day but actually improved so much.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zerot posted:

Many Xbox and Xbox 360 games run better and look better on the One and One X right now. The backwards compatibility program is amazing, and what they're doing with the Series X is a natural progression of that.

I doubt that many, if any, games that run on the Xbox One right now won't run on the Series X at all.

:-O

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program.

poo poo I missed this the first time but knowing they're gonna go back and start adding more 360/Xbox titles in the future is really awesome. I thought they'd stopped entirely but it seems they're just focusing on the new console gen and then they'll be back at working on BC for older titles. They've already got most major ones working anyways but it would really own if we got Burnout 3, Jet Set Radio Future & Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) sometime. Probably music licensing issues holding them up but I remember before BC was even announced NFS was one of the titles leaked as coming so maybe there's still a chance? Last good Burnout game! Owns on PC but all the DLC was console-only because EA are dicks :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tei posted:

the titles that wont work are extreme edge cases and what will happen is it will still downclock for compatibility if trying to force higher res or fps casues issues in a title. both consoles will be taking this approach.

the things that wont work will be much like the ps1 games that dont work on ps2 or the gba games that dont work on ds: a handful of usually smaller titles (because larger ones will have a bit of effort put in to fix) that have weird issues.

this is much more "automated" than the 360 and og bc, because the xbone isnt running in some compatibility mode, theyre creating custom wrappers for each title to get them working. on the series x and ps5 you have actual hardware compatibility and dont need to make a software solution.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

the titles that wont work are extreme edge cases and what will happen is it will still downclock for compatibility if trying to force higher res or fps casues issues in a title. both consoles will be taking this approach.

I don't think the Series X backward compatibility method downclocks, as per the company's PR. It's more likely that if enhancements like resolution boosting, auto-HDR, etc. break something, those enhancements either aren't enabled or can be disabled by the user. For example, you can turn off X Enhancements of backward compatible games in the menu+view menu in supported Xbox 360 games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zerot posted:

I don't think the Series X backward compatibility method downclocks, as per the company's PR. It's more likely that if enhancements like resolution boosting, auto-HDR, etc. break something, those enhancements either aren't enabled or can be disabled by the user. For example, you can turn off X Enhancements of backward compatible games in the menu+view menu in supported Xbox 360 games.

well i mean the enchancements like resolution boosting will come directly from running the software using the more powerful cpu and gpu, and turning it off will make the game run it as if its on an xbone, in which case the cpu and gpu wont still be running full tilt, theyll be closer to xbone stock speeds. cpus and gpus dont just run at max if they dont have to, its a waste of energy.

its not an easy comparison to make with the 360 stuff because its two fundamentally different approaches. the 360 and og game compatibility is a special software wrapper and requires some effort, whereas the xbone stuff is just from having hardware that is directly compatible.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Given how their wrappers work and the fact that they specifically pulled the BC team to work on Series X, I doubt any of the currently-working OG/360 games will not work on the SX. If there are any titles rendered incompatible, it'll almost certainly be in the native XB1 library.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

well i mean the enchancements like resolution boosting will come directly from running the software using the more powerful cpu and gpu, and turning it off will make the game run it as if its on an xbone, in which case the cpu and gpu wont still be running full tilt, theyll be closer to xbone stock speeds. cpus and gpus dont just run at max if they dont have to, its a waste of energy.

its not an easy comparison to make with the 360 stuff because its two fundamentally different approaches. the 360 and og game compatibility is a special software wrapper and requires some effort, whereas the xbone stuff is just from having hardware that is directly compatible.

Here's what they're saying about their backward compatibility program. This is taken from yesterday's Xbox Wire post at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/28/xbox-series-x-next-generation-backward-compatibility/ with my added emphasis.

quote:

Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and the SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, many times even higher performance than the games saw on their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality.

Microsoft and Sony seem to be taking very different approaches to backward compatibility, and you saw a similar difference of approach with the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

Microsoft and Sony seem to be taking very different approaches to backward compatibility, and you saw a similar difference of approach with the PlayStation 4 Pro and the Xbox One X.

We don't know enough yet about Sony's PS5 plans, just that it'll be backwards compatible with PS4 titles with a similar ratio of working titles when compared to the XBSX with XB1 titles.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

We don't know enough yet about Sony's PS5 plans, just that it'll be backwards compatible with PS4 titles with a similar ratio of working titles when compared to the XBSX with XB1 titles.

From what we know about PlayStation 5 backward compatibility, there are multiple states that the processor can run in. Two of those being a PlayStation 4 mode and a PlayStation 4 Pro mode, and a third being a full-fat boost mode. Their messaging isn't very clear right now about specifics, but that implies a very different approach than Microsoft's.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

From what we know about PlayStation 5 backward compatibility, there are multiple states that the processor can run in. Two of those being a PlayStation 4 mode and a PlayStation 4 Pro mode, and a third being a full-fat boost mode. Their messaging isn't very clear right now about specifics, but that implies a very different approach than Microsoft's.

That's not a different approach, it's just explained differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It is different.

Sony's approach is basically that their fastest mode for non-patched PS4 games is like running a PC game on a faster PC with the same settings. The game may smoother run up to the same framerate cap it had before, it may run more often up to the same max resolution it had before if it had a dynamic scaler, but that's it.

Microsoft, like with the backwards compat for OG Xbox and 360 on the XBO is saying they are going to be doing that, but also shimming in code that will allow some titles to do things like run with better texture filtering, inject HDR, run at higher resolutions than the game was initially designed to support, and even run at at higher framerate cap than the game originally had.