Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

They're other Black Orc Big Boss options I think.

Shumagorath posted:

An ultimately tragic and therefore extremely dorf thing to do

I mean there's not much to mine aside from elf tears, I always forget the place is like a plate on top of the water or something dumb like that till I try to underway stance and the game goes "SURPRISE no"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Pretty sure Black Orcs could take shields in TT. I think they had a special rule called something like Armed to Da Teef that let them fight with Great Weapons, Dual Choppas, or Choppa and Shield.

IIRC they could swap between weapon types from at the start of each turn, so you could have them with shields when running across the field and then swap them to great weapons once they reached melee. It made them very versatile since they could go dual choppas when fighting trash or great weapons when tackling tougher enemies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They could only do their weapon swap thing in melee, but that didn't mean anything on tabletop because outside of a handful of items, there was no "ranged block chance" or anything like that. The ranged rolled their poo poo, you maybe got a cover save, good units had an armour save, and that was that.

there was also nothing like anti-large, spears and pikes worked completely differently

like cavalry had bigger bases so they'd be fighting two enemies each if they touched sword infantry but four if they touched spears, and six if they touched elf spears

but they had the charge bonus and everything, so they'd tend to bowl over infantry up until 8th ed happened. And they were obviously more mobile so they'd always get the charge bonuses if the player wasn't a total idiot

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 29, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

there was also nothing like anti-large, spears and pikes worked completely differently

like cavalry had bigger bases so they'd be fighting two enemies each if they touched sword infantry but four if they touched spears, and six if they touched elf spears

Yup. And fwiw, that one mechanic (spears get to fight with 2/3 ranks instead of one) is the pavlovian reason that, from Shogun 1 onwards, I've always compulsively used my spears in 4/5 ranks deep concentrated blocks - even though TWs mechanics actually reward super thin & wide units.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Was their cycle charging in TT, or did inf have a way to keep cav pinned?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You should get a bonus to morale and extra charge bonus from having deep formations in Total War games.

yikes! posted:

I think light cavalry units were able to voluntarily disengage after fighting a round of close combat. I played a bit back in 6th edition by the way, so that's a long-rear end time ago.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I played 7th edition, and no where was no way to cycle charge. Combat last until one side entirely broke. Also, only Skaven could shoot into melee.

It was very different :v:

TW:WH does a really good job of capturing the feel of the fantasy setting and game without getting bogged down by trying to get too close to the tabletop rules

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yikes! posted:

once melee happened it kept happening until one side ran away or was completely killed, unless a unit had a special rule that let them disengage.

I overall think TW game mechanics are better but tabletop mechanics really gave a place to screeners and skirmishers like all the dog units, chameleon skinks, etc that TW doesn't- you really needed some sacrificial chaff to gently caress with the enemy deployment and charges because getting favourable charges and especially flank charges was huge

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Floppychop posted:

Speak for yourself. I fukkin love playing Ikit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kobal2 posted:

Yup. And fwiw, that one mechanic (spears get to fight with 2/3 ranks instead of one) is the pavlovian reason that, from Shogun 1 onwards, I've always compulsively used my spears in 4/5 ranks deep concentrated blocks - even though TWs mechanics actually reward super thin & wide units.

I think it rewards thin battle lines for damage, but I almost always run 3-4 deep because of the charge defence. I need those bricks to take a punch and pin the enemy down to get smashed by arty or fighty units I'm holding back.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

once melee happened it kept happening until one side ran away or was completely killed, unless a unit had a special rule that let them disengage.

I overall think TW game mechanics are better but tabletop mechanics really gave a place to screeners and skirmishers like all the dog units, chameleon skinks, etc that TW doesn't- you really needed some sacrificial chaff to gently caress with the enemy deployment and charges because getting favourable charges and especially flank charges was huge

Having Flashbacks to Vampire Count armies summoning Skeleton blocks in my flanks and charging them with Invokation and Danse to strip my rank bonus and auto rout with outnumber+fear and getting Big Mad all over again

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Randarkman posted:

Ooohh. Anyone played Empire yet with the new patch? More Skaven, Greentide, should have more fires to put out.

I haven't stopped playing Empire. And yeah, while I am playing on hard the entire world is on fire and it needs your help, especially if you want to get Markus Wulfhart, and keep his front going. This is also how I learned that Gelt does not get the protections of other Elector Counts (because he technically isn't one) you can't return provinces to him (despite that being a stat for him) and you can't revive him the same way you revive other electors. This adds an extra layer of "gently caress GOTTA RUSH" to the campaign.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
like your basic idiot spear-only dark riders/reavers have no place in TW but you'd be an dumb to roll without a few minimum-sized units of them on tabletop cuz they can just ride up near the enemy's scary knights and then turn around and ride away again, gently caress up their charges, eat ranged damaged that might have been directed at important stuff, and even maybe land a nice rear charge if the enemy dares to engage their own cav without finishing yours. They're integral. Other than gimmicks you'd never, ever run without light cav.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

like your basic idiot spear-only dark riders/reavers have no place in TW but you'd be an dumb to roll without a few minimum-sized units of them on tabletop cuz they can just ride up near the enemy's scary knights and then turn around and ride away again, gently caress up their charges, eat ranged damaged that might have been directed at important stuff, and even maybe land a nice rear charge if the enemy dares to engage their own cav without finishing yours. They're integral. Other than gimmicks you'd never, ever run without light cav.

Early game light cav is great because riding around going too fast breaks the AIs brain and divides their forces up giving you better target priority for you basic ranged units and maybe a classy rear charge when they return to the main line. As soon as it's turn 30 they're never useful again though and some cav feels like a massive misuse of a building chain and cash investment, which is disappointing.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've never actually played an empire game and I've been playing since release. What's so exciting about boring humans?

We all know green is best

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Jarvisi posted:

I've never actually played an empire game and I've been playing since release. What's so exciting about boring humans?

They have really nice unit variety, much like skaven, so you can build a nice variety of armies. Also, if you like GUNS and ARTILLERY, the humans are top notch

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jarvisi posted:

Felt the same way in game one but the overhaul did a very good job of giving the Empire a lot of personality. The whole fealty/imperial authority political dance makes them feel like you’re playing as the Fantasy HRE rather than Some Humans

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All of those units are incredibly important/good in wh2 mp imo. It's just in campaign where they aren't as good (chameleons still rock tho always n forev)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zzulu posted:

They have really nice unit variety, much like skaven, so you can build a nice variety of armies. Also, if you like GUNS and ARTILLERY, the humans are top notch

skaven don't have variety though, they have one build that works and then a bunch of (fun) trash.

the humans are like the elves but worse, they do all the things. any build you want to do will probably work.

yikes! posted:

(chameleons still rock tho always n forev)

In this we agree

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 29, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

skaven don't have variety though, they have one build that works and then a bunch of (fun) trash.

the humans are like the elves but worse, they do all the things. any build you want to do will probably work.

Skaven have quite a few viable builds though? Even in campaign you can do all weapons teams all the time, or lean on the ninja rats or just do full on Stormvermin/Rogre/Plague Censor Bearer/Hellpits and run over the AI.

And in multi you actually have one of the more diverse rosters in the game in terms of viable units.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jarvisi posted:

The empire battle line sounds a hundred times more terrifying than any other army and it rules when your pike and shot regular rear end dudes gun down a dragon while knights plow into a bunch of pure evil and shatter it's resolve. When your empire general cracks enemy morale screaming Sigmar at the top of his lungs it is the absolute best TW experience imo.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

did they fix black orc big bosses not being technically available for existing saves yet

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Like have people not played a Queek campaign where you go all in on Stormvermin and monsters? Because its hilariously fun and effective.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
adding to the bug list: sometimes legendary lords, when recruited, are invisible and unusable on the map. the game will tell you 'lord not moved', you can tab to them with voice lines but they're not there.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Ammanas posted:

adding to the bug list: sometimes legendary lords, when recruited, are invisible and unusable on the map. the game will tell you 'lord not moved', you can tab to them with voice lines but they're not there.

CA stays winning

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Anyone who hasn't played Empire recently owes it to themselves to do so as Karl or Gelt. The flavor is bold, the ham is succulent, do not waste their potential. They are exactly the humans brave enough to survive in this psychotic world.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

:911:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
archaonfacegriffonclaw.jpg

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Gelt has some of my favorite voice acting in the game. Dude is ridiculous. He’s like some kind of Good aligned super villain with the bombastic poo poo he says. Benevolent Dr. Doom.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Write me down as one of those that don't think artillery spam is fun.

I mean, it's fun for a battle or two, but it gets old really quickly, and you can't autoresolve because the game really hates them and will kill your pieces at the drop of a hat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Broken Cog posted:

I mean, it's fun for a battle or two, but it gets old really quickly, and you can't autoresolve because the game really hates them and will kill your pieces at the drop of a hat.

I'm sorry but I can't overcome the joy of watching the sky lit up with fire before hearing the screams of rockets crashing down into enemies, stumbling their way into a firing line. Especially paired up with a Bright Wizard

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Broken Cog posted:

Bring enough rockets and helblasters and it goes the other way

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Apparently CA is aware of the weapon strength thing and is working on a fix which should be available "next week".

Hopefully it includes fixes for all the other bugs: Ranald not giving extra winds (but definitely penalizing you when you lose), the stance UI issue, the crashes, WAAAGH armies decreasing movement range (yes that's a thing) AND sometimes making armies outright disappear when the WAAAGH ends (may or may not only affect Grom's faction). There's also apparently a bug where you can recruit a lord only to have it be invisible and unmovable. The game tells you it's there, and you can technically select it thanks to the end turn button prompt, but you can't move it or interact with it in any way?

Yeah, there's bugs. Hoping they get this straightened out.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Built the Black Orc Big Boss building like 30 turns ago and still haven't had one available to recruit, this feels like a bug

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but gently caress those dumb puzzles.
Look at this dumb poo poo. What is even supposed to be the solution? I've pasted it in Paint and rotated it around. None of them fit.:argh:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 29, 2020

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Raygereio posted:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but gently caress those dumb puzzles.
Look at this dumb poo poo. What is even supposed to be the solution? I've pasted it painted and rotated it around. None of them fit.:argh:

This is the worst part of TW:WII. Here are all the puzzle solutions:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1568246541

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah I hate the dial one and will never get my brain to understand it. I have a friend who does the dial one so easily but hates the sudoku one. They are an alien I'm pretty sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

yikes! posted:

Yeah I hate the dial one and will never get my brain to understand it. I have a friend who does the dial one so easily but hates the sudoku one. They are an alien I'm pretty sure

I believe the idea is to first rotate the inner "face" until it is right side up, then rotate the outer dial to align with the colors on the inner one. Only one set of colors will then point to symbols matching one of the choices.

In practice this is very difficult because the game does not allow you to rotate the dials at all. So, in practice, one either looks up the answers or guesses every time.