Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

DeathChicken posted:

"Yeah, he was part of a medical experiment and it snapped his brain."

FF writers going out on a limb with their radical stance that maybe it's a bad idea to do (magical) medical experiments directly on humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean Sephiroth isn't even the first FF main villain who is a super soldier created by injecting otherworldy beings into a child who went mad as a result and attempted to obliterate the entire world so he could become a god and who you face as a giant winged being.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Sephiroth isn't even the first FF main villain who is a super soldier created by injecting otherworldy beings into a child who went mad as a result and attempted to obliterate the entire world so he could become a god and who you face as a giant winged being.

....*squints* was....Kefka a kid when he was experimented on?? I thought he was a young man...or am I missing the plot of a different Final Fantasy?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Flopsy posted:

....*squints* was....Kefka a kid when he was experimented on?? I thought he was a young man...or am I missing the plot of a different Final Fantasy?

He was already a general, if I'm remembering my lore right.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

PT6A posted:

Sephiroth and JENOVA are the most terrifying villains because the thing that's infinitely more scary than an external threat is one that robs us of our agency and our sense of self.

:hmmyes:

Flopsy posted:

I can sum Sephiroth up very succinctly actually for anyone who needs an idea of what he is. Imagine if Superman was the main character of the Truman Show instead of Truman. Now imagine what would happen if he went through same poo poo Truman does but instead feeling a sense of freedom and relief at the end he goes absolutely bugfuck at the sheer horror of the situation and decides the audience and the producers need to pay.

Man, I still need to see that movie.

I can see revenge being there in Nibelheim and him going "hmm, today, I will cause a scandal for Shinra," and even beyond that if we're to look at Dyne as a parallel. I think he's moved way, WAY past revenge at this point, though, which is the interesting part to me.

And I don't know how hot of a take this is, but I actually do like Sephiroth's new VA because he properly gets across the right level of "insane" that he is. He sounds calm but weirdly off. That's good for new players because it gets across that he might be crazy without having told be told that directly. Newbern never had that going for me imo.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 29, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Woo, finally got Platinum, what a ride. The only Play Log stuff I'm missing are the assess entries for Ifrit, Pride and Joy, Sephiroth, and Whisper Bahamut, but I don't think I want to get to Pride and Joy again while equipping Assess and letting Bahamut summon Ifrit. I think I'll just take the "close enough".

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

:hmmyes:

Man, I still need to see that movie.

It's good poo poo m'man. I know it's marketed as a dark comedy but for me it's a straight up horror movie that only gets more poignant as it ages. Not to mention I strongly suspect Sephiroth spent almost every waking moment under observation up until he cracked like an egg as well.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

e: In retrospect, Dawn of Chaos-ing this thread by going further in on the "Nomura is an artificial lifeform" and then saying that the purpose of FF7R, which is secretly Chrono Break, is to undo the evil that is AkuEA is going to break someone's brain and isn't very funny anyway.

Aerith has doomed every living being and it's going to be great to see how everything goes completely and utterly to poo poo.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 29, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Big Hubris posted:

e: In retrospect, Dawn of Chaos-ing this thread by going further in on the "Nomura is an artificial lifeform" and then saying that the purpose of FF7R, which is secretly Chrono Break, is to undo the evil that is AkuEA is going to break someone's brain and isn't very funny anyway.

Aerith has doomed every living being and it's going to be great to see how everything goes completely and utterly to poo poo.

If Sephiroth can travel back in time via the lifestream and the whispers were barely effective at keeping him at bay anyhow what do you want her to do exactly?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finished my second, Hard playthrough last night and while I have many thoughts, the main one is:

gently caress the last two chapters

Not for reasons of difficulty, but for structure. The Drum is a pretty bad final dungeon, even if the split party mechanic is good in theory. In practice, though, it means wayyyyyy too loving much Materia swapping.

But it's better than the last chapter which doesn't even let you swap Materia between bosses. I noticed that on Normal, but the last few bosses are so strangely easy on Normal that I beat all of them while Aerith had literally no Materia equipped lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you hold Square during a pre-boss cutscene it opens the menu just before the fight begins so you can swap equipment/materia. The prompt for this is very small and in the bottom-left so I literally didn't notice until the cutscene between the Whisper Harbinger fight and the Sephiroth fight :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are you kidding me

I didn't notice that in the last chapter, I thought they had disabled it on purpose. The last time I remember getting that option was in chapter 17

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I love seeing streamers' looks of horror/excitement in Chapter 18 when OWA starts playing and they notice that little Menu prompt, then it dawns on them that they still have one more boss fight left.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

precision posted:

Not for reasons of difficulty, but for structure. The Drum is a pretty bad final dungeon, even if the split party mechanic is good in theory. In practice, though, it means wayyyyyy too loving much Materia swapping.

Do you think you had to, though? I think that's just a habit of trying to be min-maxy in RPGs. I finished chapter 17 and 18 on hard two or three days ago, and I just gave everyone their own materia loadout and never switched. For a few encounters I swapped Magnify in, but other than that I was not swapping everyone's materia around.

If you buy out Chadley you can have three copies of most of the relevant independent materia, you can have three copies of Prayer by then, three copies of Revive, etc. That's enough to equip the whole team at once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Schwartzcough posted:

Do you think you had to, though? I think that's just a habit of trying to be min-maxy in RPGs.

Yeah that's fair, though it still sucks the first time through. My complaint that it's a boring place still stand though

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Xarbala posted:

Well there's also the fact that Seph's the guy behind the most famous spoiler in videogames. Nobody's going to be able to beat that kind of cultural cachet, Sephiroth is basically immortalized in memes and stereotypical online usernames.

But for a brief, shining moment, a great writer got to flex and she gave us a smarmy smug middle-aged ratfucker as the villain of a single mmo expac storyline and he managed to knock Sephiroth off his throne for a short period of time. Mostly by combining charm and an easy, if slimy, charisma, with more pathos than you can shake a Meteor at.

Yeah he retroactively made the worst villain faction (Organization XIII knockoffs with even less personality) into one of the most tragic and compelling. It's wild.

This isn't the first time I've seen this mentioned but I haven't played FFXIV since 2.0 vanilla and I have no plans to pick it up again, so you might as well spoil the whole thing for me.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freakazoid_ posted:

This isn't the first time I've seen this mentioned but I haven't played FFXIV since 2.0 vanilla and I have no plans to pick it up again, so you might as well spoil the whole thing for me.

There's a lot here, and there's no way that I can do it justice but Emet is legitimately my favorite villain in all of FF and it's because they shape it up in a way where He's right/just in doing what he's attempting to do, and when you finally overcome him and pave the way for a future without what he's attempting to do, he doesn't scream like a little bitch and cry over being defeated, instead he just kinda kneels down, nods his head, and says

"Remember us. Remember that we once lived."

and it just hits extremely hard because there isn't a way to look at what he was hoping to accomplish without feeling like you were the bad guy for stopping him.

Also the voice acting is top notch and this scene is super up there so watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXeNI5s_M0

and here's the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vanNDeedNrY

again watch at your own risk these are massive spoiler videos

Asema fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 29, 2020

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

precision posted:

Are you kidding me

I didn't notice that in the last chapter, I thought they had disabled it on purpose. The last time I remember getting that option was in chapter 17

The whole "boss rush" first half is all technically considered one battle, even though it's broken up by a few cut-scenes/walking (though notice those take place in "battle mode"). This is why you don't get to change materia between these "battles" (and also if you die in one part you have to start all the way over from the beginning).

There is the option to change Materia between this rush and the final, final boss though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Asema posted:

He's right/just in doing what he's attempting to do

This isn't the place to go in-depth about it, but this is 100% not true at all. He's given an understandable and sympathetic motivation yes, but he is still committing multiple instances of omnicide and intends to commit many more, and the game does not ever say that he is in the right for doing this. You still have to kill him, after all. Motivation does not equal justification.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Always interpreted the saw-fish-thing fight as being a big neon sign saying "hey you need to have all four of your squad members independently geared and combat-ready at all times from here on out"

I haven't got as far as 17 and 18 in Hard yet but it doesn't seem like that big a constraint. Cloud and Tifa are your main melee fighters and they both get an Elemental and a Parry each, Barret's the natural candidate for some sort of support materia tied to Magnify, and there aren't really any other important finite materia.

Aerith isn't around for much of the story though, which is a problem since you're going to have limited slots to cook spare copies of your materia before the big finale.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

This isn't the place to go in-depth about it, but this is 100% not true at all. He's given an understandable and sympathetic motivation yes, but he is still committing multiple instances of omnicide and intends to commit many more, and the game does not ever say that he is in the right for doing this. You still have to kill him, after all. Motivation does not equal justification.

not to defend myself but i'm talking straight from his viewpoint, i'm not trying to dismiss his numerous terrible aspects because he *is* a villain, but the story walks a very thin line mirroring a hero/protag and the stuff they would do to accomplish a similar goal

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I basically didn't touch my loadout in chapters 17 - 18, the party was switching so much that I set up everyone's loadouts in a way that I was basically happy with on an individual level and left it at that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ace Transmuter posted:

The whole "boss rush" first half is all technically considered one battle, even though it's broken up by a few cut-scenes/walking (though notice those take place in "battle mode"). This is why you don't get to change materia between these "battles" (and also if you die in one part you have to start all the way over from the beginning).

There is the option to change Materia between this rush and the final, final boss though.

Okay yeah that's what I meant, that Aerith was unequipped for that whole part

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I basically didn't touch my loadout in chapters 17 - 18, the party was switching so much that I set up everyone's loadouts in a way that I was basically happy with on an individual level and left it at that.

this is the spoiler thread so i'm not going to spoil this but i used cloud/tifa as dps with elemental materia and aerith/barret as healers and that worked really well for 17/18

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That was what I ended up doing on my Normal run.

I really liked the game but I was not terribly pleased with the end of the barrel onward feeling like a four hour boss rush punctuated with some cutscenes and a motorbike ride.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Harrow posted:

Before Shadowbringers, I thought the Ascians were the most boring enemies in FFXIV and I was sort of dreading them being a major focus of the expansion. Emet-Selch changed all of that. He's an insanely good villain.

As someone who just start Shadowbringers I'm getting hype.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

(Massive Shadowbringers spoilers here, do not mouse over if you're in this thread and plan to play it!)

It's really hard to explain in a post, but the very broad strokes are that the Ascians are the remnants of the world that once was before it was split into the multiverse that FFXIV's world is now. They summoned Zodiark to preserve their world when it was facing destruction, but Zodiark's power and control proved too destructive and stifling, so a separate group summoned Hydaelyn to seal Zodiark away. That's how the world was split ("sundered" they say in-game) into a bunch of shards and the Source (which is where most of FFXIV takes place). The Ascians are Zodiark's summoners trying everything they can to bring back their world, even if it means destroying all the worlds and all the lives that have come to exist since the Sundering.

What makes this work so well is that Emet-Selch is so clearly grieving, even now. Underneath all his weird, slimy charm is multiple millennia's worth of hurt, and it really shows. He's a monster, absolutely, but he's gotten himself convinced that the lives that exist now are just shadows of the real world, the world he remembers, and that destroying them all is so small a price to pay to bring back his world that it's not even a price at all.

As a bonus twist, it looks like the Warrior of Light (the player character) is a reincarnation of one of Hydaelyn's summoners, and someone whom Emet-Selch knew personally. The Warrior of Light seems to be basically a light-side Ascian, though it hasn't been fully stated/confirmed yet. They've done a lot of build-up about why the WoL is so powerful and that would be an interesting explanation.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 29, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, I bet that in the next game, in the Brave New World where poo poo Be hosed Yo, the Turks will end up on your side to such an extent that there will be a section where you play as Rude, Reno and Elena on some mission to help

At least, I hope so

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

precision posted:

You know, I bet that in the next game, in the Brave New World where poo poo Be hosed Yo, the Turks will end up on your side to such an extent that there will be a section where you play as Rude, Reno and Elena on some mission to help

At least, I hope so

Since the game sometimes splits between characters point of view it would be pretty drat sweet to go after Corneo as the turks I gotta say. I'm here for all the extra character development tbh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They can even just have Rude and Reno play like Tifa and Cloud.

Maybe Elena gets a gun arm

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

precision posted:

They can even just have Rude and Reno play like Tifa and Cloud.

Maybe Elena gets a gun arm

Oh just give her a tommy and let her go to town.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flopsy posted:

He was a teenager.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kefka is a clown and without age

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He was a teenager.

I'm looking at his profile right now and it says he's thirty five and that he was converted sixteen years ago....that would make him almost twenty. He may have been a teen but not young enough to be considered a kid anymore.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

(Massive Shadowbringers spoilers here, do not mouse over if you're in this thread and plan to play it!)

It's really hard to explain in a post, but the very broad strokes are that the Ascians are the remnants of the world that once was before it was split into the multiverse that FFXIV's world is now. They summoned Zodiark to preserve their world when it was facing destruction, but Zodiark's power and control proved too destructive and stifling, so a separate group summoned Hydaelyn to seal Zodiark away. That's how the world was split ("sundered" they say in-game) into a bunch of shards and the Source (which is where most of FFXIV takes place). The Ascians are Zodiark's summoners trying everything they can to bring back their world, even if it means destroying all the worlds and all the lives that have come to exist since the Sundering.

What makes this work so well is that Emet-Selch is so clearly grieving, even now. Underneath all his weird, slimy charm is multiple millennia's worth of hurt, and it really shows. He's a monster, absolutely, but he's gotten himself convinced that the lives that exist now are just shadows of the real world, the world he remembers, and that destroying them all is so small a price to pay to bring back his world that it's not even a price at all.

As a bonus twist, it looks like the Warrior of Light (the player character) is a reincarnation of one of Hydaelyn's summoners, and someone whom Emet-Selch knew personally. The Warrior of Light seems to be basically a light-side Ascian, though it hasn't been fully stated/confirmed yet. They've done a lot of build-up about why the WoL is so powerful and that would be an interesting explanation.

It's worth pointing out part of his pathos is He tried his absolute best to entrust the world to your people, he describes with anger how he broke bread with you, lived with you, sired children, grew old, even welcomed death. But he's an immortal, and thus he got to live thousands of lifetimes being disappointed with the people of the world. Also, the end part of your spoiler is incorrect. It's likely the WoL sat on the council, but they were not responsible for Hydaelyn's summoning, that appears to be another ascian we learned about in the last story update.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Folks,

https://twitter.com/sephireno/status/1266382680481951744

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
joking aside they seem to have dialed back goofy sephrioth a lot so i doubt it, even though I hope they do

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 30, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm torn between thinking they'll cut it to give the characters some dignity or give it the ol' Wall Market treatment.

I mean if they want to make it less insane they could have him simply walk behind the bookshelves after some hot looming and nihilistic dialogue and when Cloud gets there all that's left is the materia on the floor. Or....it's going to be one of the most absurd kung fu wtf scenes we've ever seen.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 30, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dreylad posted:

joking aside they seem to have dialed back goofy sephrioth a lot so i doubt it, even though I hope they do

Sephiroth Omega (the one from the future that we meet in this game) is actually far more goofy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

They better keep Cloud getting bonked with the materia.