Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arc words for the show: "You may as well keep screaming."

drat that's a bleak way to end the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh my God the space-isn't-real protest is too soon. Jesus.

Pick posted:

that episode came out before that happened. so. um. yeah. yeah we've all been... thinkin about it...

This is like that DS9 episode that totally reads like a slam on the 9/11 political sea change except it aired in 1996.

Human stupidity comes at you fast.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Losing Harrison is going to be a huge mistake. Probably. MAybe, idk

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I watched this today. The passengers in the airlock scene is one of the best bits of satire written in a long time. Insane that it was written before the protests.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm thinking of starting this tonight now that I finished up AP Bio. Worth binging this?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Zotix posted:

I'm thinking of starting this tonight now that I finished up AP Bio. Worth binging this?

yes yes yes. it starts a little slow, stick with it

(I miss AP Bio)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Crusty Nutsack posted:

(I miss AP Bio)

And the Mick :(

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

(I miss AP Bio)

It's apprently renewed for season 3 on Peacock(which is how I watched the show in the first place)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zotix posted:

Yes, and stick with it, it's loving fantastic.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Yeah, the Mick was way better than it had the right to be

Zotix posted:

It's apprently renewed for season 3 on Peacock(which is how I watched the show in the first place)

Ugh drat it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Finished up the season, and drat. That was really bleak and good.

Knowing that the set had burnt down, you can really spot it in the final 2 episodes as they wander through bits of bare studio, and what looks like parts of a cross-Channel ferry (those metal corridors with the low ceilings scream maritime to me).

So how quickly does the little shuttle get there? It seemed to take, like, a day? Could they not just do that a few more times?

The music was really good, and invoked a terrible sense of dread. Incorporating the ship’s alarm sound directly into the soundtrack (or vice versa?) worked so well, and I loved the final episode’s end titles music.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

It's been a while, but I think they were only close enough to earth for a shuttle to get there for a short amount of time. Why they couldn't grab more people, or send more shuttles, uh...drama?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Truspeaker posted:

It's been a while, but I think they were only close enough to earth for a shuttle to get there for a short amount of time. Why they couldn't grab more people, or send more shuttles, uh...drama?

They only had one shuttle available.

The entire Judd space programme is based on engines that use the gravity of planets to turn. They can't turn themselves. (The implication from later in the season is because they're crudely bolted onto cheap secondhand Chinese mining freughters).

The people who can actually help, because they have the training and access (NASA) don't want to, and even if they could the Judd Corporation doesn't have the time to construct a fleet of ships to send out into space and rescue everyone. They had one narrow window in which their limited ability to pilot a ship and return it safely to Earth coincided with Avenue 5's launch path.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sure they can send a two person shuttle, (SpaceX does like 10 not-future equivalents of this per year, it's not that unusual) but sending 300 two-person shuttles would we way beyond their lift capability.

I thought the ship couldn't course correct because the ship is so huge relative to its fuel tanks. For deep space missions, once you're on course you have a very thin margin for course corrections. You're really talking about trim maneuvers: small course refinements. Turning in the sense of changing course really isn't possible. You can squeeze out more course changes by gravity assists but those really are fixed. You either hit your burn for the gravity assist or you miss it and it is never coming back. The only way to get around that is to carry fuel tanks like 10x larger than the ship, which Avenue 5 clearly doesn't have.

For example the Voyager program wouldn't be possible today and won't be possible for more than another century because the gravity assists it did won't come around for a long time.

So I figured it was very realistic that the ship was hopelessly off course once it missed the gravity assist.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's also a metaphor so it's fine. But yes, good analysis.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My guess is we’ll see other human space stuff out there from next season onwards. The indications are there that there’s more humanity out in the solar system (Spike was the 30th person on Mars and that was clearly some time ago, the ship is an old freighter [travelling from earth to where?], the moon is a prison, etc.

The background we get is that humanity is now heavily in space, but they’re conspicuously absent in the show. Possibly now that Ave5 is wildly off course, they’ll start running into other areas.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's actually pretty cool to see space shows that don't ignore actual space stuff. They've made a lot of interesting plot out of time delays, orbital dynamics, gravity wells, etc. It's really cool, and also nice to have a comedy treat its universe as seriously as say the Expanse.

I remember being really cynical about this show when I was queueing up that first episode. What a fool I was, then.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The poo poo shield was right out of something I'd read about a mars journey. I've gotten the impression that the real difficulty in exo-atmospheric travel is radiation shielding

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Knowing that the set had burnt down

I was working late on another show the day that set burned down. I am horrifically OCD about switching lights, plugs off etc at home, never mind trillion watt stage lights. Took me about 45 minutes before I felt like I could leave that stage and that all the lamps and lifts were turned off. The next morning I set off and immediately saw the plume and was convinced for the whole drive to work that I'd burned down half of Fast 9.

I got to to walk around that set before it burned down, it was just ridiculous. So beautiful, and absurdly huge. I don't think they even really shot all of it in S1, the intention was to show more of it over the following seasons. The crew on that were devastated. It's a comedy show but the level of finish they put into the sets is beyond anything I've worked on before.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

echoplex posted:

I was working late on another show the day that set burned down. I am horrifically OCD about switching lights, plugs off etc at home, never mind trillion watt stage lights. Took me about 45 minutes before I felt like I could leave that stage and that all the lamps and lifts were turned off. The next morning I set off and immediately saw the plume and was convinced for the whole drive to work that I'd burned down half of Fast 9.

I got to to walk around that set before it burned down, it was just ridiculous. So beautiful, and absurdly huge. I don't think they even really shot all of it in S1, the intention was to show more of it over the following seasons. The crew on that were devastated. It's a comedy show but the level of finish they put into the sets is beyond anything I've worked on before.

I'm trying not to get as upset as I am about a pretty TV set when there's plenty of real-world stuff burning down that I hardly care about, but drat that was a great set.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Zotix posted:

I'm still bummed the Emo dude just disappeared in season 2. His character was great.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm still bummed the Emo dude just disappeared in season 2. His character was great.

Yeah I immediately took note of that, it was a major missing piece. He was sort of a mirror to Glenn Howerton's character.... Then he's just not there.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The_Doctor posted:

My guess is we’ll see other human space stuff out there from next season onwards. The indications are there that there’s more humanity out in the solar system (Spike was the 30th person on Mars and that was clearly some time ago, the ship is an old freighter [travelling from earth to where?], the moon is a prison, etc.

The background we get is that humanity is now heavily in space, but they’re conspicuously absent in the show. Possibly now that Ave5 is wildly off course, they’ll start running into other areas.

It'll be like the 100 Surprise! We've actually visited other solar systems because why not

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

the ship is an old freighter [travelling from earth to where?]

I think they were going from Earth to Earth with at least one gravity assist at Saturn. Getting to Saturn and back in eight weeks is science fiction, but eight years is actually a reasonable time frame for being adrift in solar orbit with your apehelion up near Saturn and perihelion down near Earth before your next chance to encounter Earth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

I think they were going from Earth to Earth with at least one gravity assist at Saturn. Getting to Saturn and back in eight weeks is science fiction, but eight years is actually a reasonable time frame for being adrift in solar orbit with your apehelion up near Saturn and perihelion down near Earth before your next chance to encounter Earth.

If I recall the three year course involved something like three or four full orbits to down near the sun and and back out beyond Saturn before they were able to hit Earth intercept, too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I think they were going from Earth to Earth with at least one gravity assist at Saturn.

No, I’m talking about the original ship the Ave5 is built on top of. The Chinese freighter. Where was that travelling to that you needed a ship that size?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

No, I’m talking about the original ship the Ave5 is built on top of. The Chinese freighter. Where was that travelling to that you needed a ship that size?

The Chinese on the walls indicates its a mining vessel, IIRC.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Chinese on the walls indicates its a mining vessel, IIRC.

If there's a shittier job than asteroid mining, it's asteroid mining with real-time orbital mechanics. I can't even imagine how loving tedious it must be to spend months looping out to a loving asteroid rig, spending months or years there mining, then looping all the way back home again. gently caress that.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

There’s a lot of little nods to red dwarf on this. In particular the back part of the ship, with its grungy industrial look.

One side shot in particular looked almost exactly like the old intro to red dwarf.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be on board with the show eventually jumping forward a few hundred years to the descendants of the passengers for some Red Dwarf and Starship Titanic energy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I honestly wouldn’t doubt there being a Jupiter Mining Corporation reference in there somewhere next season.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
That was a fun show. Like a funny Aniara. Frankly, they are so similar that I'm surprised there isn't a lawsuit in there somewhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't expect the Space Isn't Real protesters to win irl

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

drat. I did

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Not much of a surprise, Avenue 5 will end with season 2, as the cast has been released after wrapping filming.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/avenue-5-canceled-season-2-final-season-premiere-date-hbo-cast-released-1235034663/

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm just glad to hear news about season 2!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, ngl, I gotta imagine this show was super confronting and uncomfortable for a lot of people. Middle class people really don't like being the target of unrelenting satire.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1530298529289326592

tbh I don't know who Iannucci thinks he's kidding here, us or himself, but cast options have expired, the fire made the show expensive as gently caress to film, and HBO's parent company is going through a self described "austerity" period where they're not funding stuff that doesn't have a large audience appeal, so...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Open Source Idiom posted:

https://twitter.com/Aiannucci/status/1530298529289326592

tbh I don't know who Iannucci thinks he's kidding here, us or himself, but cast options have expired, the fire made the show expensive as gently caress to film, and HBO's parent company is going through a self described "austerity" period where they're not funding stuff that doesn't have a large audience appeal, so...

Huh, iannucci somehow made Rome

Glad we get a season two at least, and very much look forward to whatever his next project is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pontius Pilate posted:

..and very much look forward to whatever his next project is

Given his way of eerily predicting the future, I hope he steps out of his wheelhouse and makes a show where some nice things happen just for a break from this hellworld.