Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
You know those endless rumours about the jungle being overtaken by the corruption? I have the opposite problem: my Hallow spawned perfectly overlapping the jungle, so for all intents and purposes, I don't have a Hallow biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The_Final_Stand posted:

You know those endless rumours about the jungle being overtaken by the corruption? I have the opposite problem: my Hallow spawned perfectly overlapping the jungle, so for all intents and purposes, I don't have a Hallow biome.

Grab a few hallow blocks, find a spot on the surface you don't mind overwriting, then slap the blocks down and let it make a new biome.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Once you have enough of them for it to count as a biome, you can also place the Steampunker there and buy blue Clentaminator fluid, which makes Hallow the same way green fluid gets rid of it.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Also, every time you smash an altar with the PWNhammer you get new hallow and corruptions spots randomly around the world, that helps too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is that new? Because I could swear it didn't use to do that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

no that’s always been the case afaik, at least for a while

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Huh, weird. I can't say I ever noticed random patches of Hallow or Corruption popping up all over my worlds, because I tend to make a point of smashing every altar I can find. Can they appear, like, anywhere, even underground? Because my surface biomes never used to end up looking as they should if that had always been a thing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah it’s mostly if not exclusively underground

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
A bit late to the thread but if still need it or anyone else.

Crimson Harvest posted:

After 22 obsidian crates im giving up on the Lava Charm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br89rC_rxWo

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm trying to find a chisel in a corrupted desert and it feels impossible. I can barely even make it a few leagues underground before being totally overwhelmed by endless enemy swarms. Its ridiculous, even for hardmode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx-EYHjwsao

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The three mechanical bosses vary widely in difficulty on master mode... destroyer was hard but manageable, twins are trivialized with an asphalt platform, but skeletron prime is kicking my rear end. I've finally got full hallowed gear and I'm gonna give him another try tonight. The trick seems to be kill the laser arm, then the bomb arm, then the two melee ones, then kill him, but he does a splendid job of shielding his arms when he charges.

Gonna try meteor shot with the megashark and jester arrows with the hallowed repeater and see if I can change that a bit. Also got cursed bullets and arrows for the final dps push. Also got a full stack of light discs.. some tactic will work.

Although after I kill the 3 mechanical, doesn't the jungle and stuff get harder? Maybe I should set up those jungle arenas and such first and then kill him...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've always wondered if the "Spawns a hunk of evil/hallow ore" when you smash an altar was really random, or it went out of it's way to spawn someplace otherwise safe, or what.

Because finally cracking open a map views so I could find some marble for furniture reasons, I was reminded that the average map is just fuckin lousy with demonite ore anyways just from mapgen. "Oh hey, that's the largest natural shroom biome I've ever seen... with the biggest hunk of demonite in one place I've ever seen".

Then again I'm still so slow and procrastinating that I haven't activated hard mode for 4.1and lack any fancy build projects :downs: Maybe it's a lot worse for the diligent people who go out of their way to scour their map of evil ahead of time, rather than hoping it will all work out if they only gut the earth around home base and original corruption/crimson spawns?

On that note I'm probably gonna smash exactly thee altars just so I know what ores are the expected ones, and which ores fishing+journey mode will be saving me from spawning fresh worlds to get what I want.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Random chunks of mapgen demonite/crimtane ore basically do nothing at all from what I've seen, they're just kind of there.

Section Z posted:

On that note I'm probably gonna smash exactly thee altars just so I know what ores are the expected ones, and which ores fishing+journey mode will be saving me from spawning fresh worlds to get what I want.
It's pretty much what I did as well. Journey mode is good.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Random chunks of mapgen demonite/crimtane ore basically do nothing at all from what I've seen, they're just kind of there.

It's pretty much what I did as well. Journey mode is good.

...Ooooh, right. The Ore itself is harmless, isn't it. While smashing altars spawns terrain, not ore :doh:

And yeah, Journey mode is real fuckin good even when you are trying to mostly behave yourself. Though the logical leaps you make for that kind of thing is turning out to be half the fun there.

"I'll throw out this gold gained from the duplicate fishing chests I just spammed for items"
"What about that gold from cranking spawns to x10 in the dungeon until you finally got a Nazar and clothier voodoo doll?"
"I murdered those things fair and square. Now shut up and buy all these tally counters."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Section Z posted:

I've always wondered if the "Spawns a hunk of evil/hallow ore" when you smash an altar was really random, or it went out of it's way to spawn someplace otherwise safe, or what.

Because finally cracking open a map views so I could find some marble for furniture reasons, I was reminded that the average map is just fuckin lousy with demonite ore anyways just from mapgen. "Oh hey, that's the largest natural shroom biome I've ever seen... with the biggest hunk of demonite in one place I've ever seen".

Then again I'm still so slow and procrastinating that I haven't activated hard mode for 4.1and lack any fancy build projects :downs: Maybe it's a lot worse for the diligent people who go out of their way to scour their map of evil ahead of time, rather than hoping it will all work out if they only gut the earth around home base and original corruption/crimson spawns?

It converts a single stone block in the cavern layer to evil or hallowed stone and doesn't even do that every time. It mostly just means sometimes you'll come across a random patch of colored stone while looking for the skeleton merchant, since underground spread has largely been killed off unless it happens to spawn in the ice or underground desert.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 30, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cardiovorax posted:

you're right, i haven't seen them spreading corruption either. it seems like they should though, time bombs of ore that go live in hard mode

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The stuff is common enough, at least in little bits and pieces, that it is probably better that it doesn't. The Corruption would take over the entire underground practically overnight if it did, I think. It's less consistent, but the better decision from a gameplay perspective.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The White Dragon posted:

you're right, i haven't seen them spreading corruption either. it seems like they should though, time bombs of ore that go live in hard mode

You are the true horror of the abyss.

Cardiovorax posted:

The stuff is common enough, at least in little bits and pieces, that it is probably better that it doesn't. The Corruption would take over the entire underground practically overnight if it did, I think. It's less consistent, but the better decision from a gameplay perspective.

Agreed.

Section Z posted:

Fishing gets all basic hardmode ores/bars regardless of altars. I've got all 6 types with zero altars smashed. I wish they had more of a use.. now that I'm up to Hallowed gear (twins are a free kill at this point, so infinite hallowed bars given time), they're just gonna occupy space in my hardmode materials chest (unless I move them elsewhere).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I thought seeds had randomly generated loot until I saw these videos. Now to go looking for a few more seeds that have what I need!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Shouldn't this work for Fireblossom?

Occasionally i'll walk over and pick up a grown one that somehow auto pops out of the pots but no seeds.
Or does the lava need to be deeper than 2 high.

wiki states partially submerged.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 30, 2020

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I threw my world into Terramap to see the corruption/hallow spread.

So the bits that show up from breaking alters don't get all that much compared to the size of the world.

On a related note, I was wondering why that last bit of my central desert never got corrupted even though I wasn't fast enough with the trench. It had a wedge of hallow in it all along.

e:

OgNar posted:

Occasionally i'll walk over and pick up a grown one that somehow auto pops out of the pots but no seeds.

wiki states partially submerged.

Fireblossom needs to be submerged in lava on the old console and 3DS versions only. On PC they bloom between 3:45 PM and 7:30 PM.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 30, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

OgNar posted:

Fireblossom doesn't need lava anymore. Instead, they now blossom exclusively during sunset. I would switch to the planter boxes the Dryad sells, they are very convenient.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I thought seeds had randomly generated loot until I saw these videos. Now to go looking for a few more seeds that have what I need!

...they do, based on the seed. Same seed, same “random” results.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Cardiovorax posted:

Fireblossom doesn't need lava anymore. Instead, they now blossom exclusively during sunset. I would switch to the planter boxes the Dryad sells, they are very convenient.

I read about those, but mine only seems to sell a few other boxes.
I just started trying to split the vendors up i'll assume happiness has something to do with it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

OgNar posted:

I just started trying to split the vendors up i'll assume happiness has something to do with it.
She gets more and more types of them as you defeat bosses. Fireblossom should be available as soon as you enter hardmode. The sunset thing is true no matter what you put them in, though. The planters are just for your own convenience, every herb grows in every box. The autotarget respects it and will automatically replace harvested herbs with seeds if you try to place them over the herb, although you need to select the correct type manually.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone got a list of mods that are updated for 1.4 yet? Just learned of Magic Storage and it pains me that it's not updated.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

None. tModLoader has not been updated for 1.4 yet and will not be months. There are no 1.4 mods.

However, Terraria Tweaker is an .exe modifying utility that currently works for 1.4 and can at least do a number of convenience things, like making stack sizes bigger.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
https://github.com/tModLoader/tModLoader/releases

it... has though?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, that version still internally runs on Terraria 1.3.5. It's just packaged in such a way that you can use it with the Steam version anyway. You will not be able to access 1.4 content or features. It just does not support them yet.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

OgNar posted:

Any herb may be planted in any planter box. They're merely cosmetic.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

quote:

TML v0.11.7.4 is out! Many bugfixes since v0.11.7
Also to clarify the update note: "This update supports Terraria v1.4.0.4 manual installation and GOG." This does NOT mean TML is v1.4 like vanilla, it means it supports installation alongside that vanilla version!

It supports being installed alongside 1.4, not that it actually supports 1.4.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Rest in pieces, Master mode Skeletron Prime. Hallowed repeater with holy arrows (although I think cursed would've been fine) and I'm killing him without even needing to touch the arms through asphalt platform and just running flat out (and hallowed armor's shadow dodge buff). This will be my second kill in one night.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's a reasonable post-Golem ranged weapon upgrade from Megashark? Tsunami, Eventide? I just want higher dps, and while an Eye of Cthulhu with a Yoyo Glove is working "fine" I'd like something better and I'm willing to farm for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's a reasonable post-Golem ranged weapon upgrade from Megashark? Tsunami, Eventide? I just want higher dps, and while an Eye of Cthulhu with a Yoyo Glove is working "fine" I'd like something better and I'm willing to farm for it.

Tactical Shotgun ~= Onyx Blaster, Sniper Rifle, various rocket weapons, Xenopopper, Chlorophyte Shotbow, Tsunami, Daedalus Stormbow is still good, the nerf really only affects the Destroyer. Super Star Cannon if you're on Journey or are willing to farm up thousands of stars. Coin gun if you're on journey or willing to fill your inventory with stacks of gold coins (or platinum if you're hella rich)

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 30, 2020

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m continuing my magic user expert mode play through. Beat Plantera yesterday, using a tunnel and bed next to my arena to deal with phase two. I then noticed that my jungle underground ends at the top of my arena, so maybe that’s why she was going bananas in phase two in my earlier attempts. In any case, the difficulty curve breaks badly once specter armor is available. I went from barely doing it with exploits to killing her without dropping below half health. Kind of silly. Golem was completely trivial, and only a lack of batteries kept me from farming him indefinitely. No heat ray drop, but I got four golem fists and eyes, hooray.

Now trying Martian Madness and it’s actually really rough trying to kill the UFO; I didn’t get any of the direct fire spells from either Plantera or Golem so I’m relying on rainbow rod and it’s not really keeping up. I’d really like to get some of the UFO drops though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

Tactical Shotgun ~= Onyx Blaster, Sniper Rifle, various rocket weapons, Xenopopper, Chlorophyte Shotbow, Tsunami, Daedalus Stormbow is still good, the nerf really only affects the Destroyer. Super Star Cannon if you're on Journey or are willing to farm up thousands of stars. Coin gun if you're on journey or willing to fill your inventory with stacks of gold coins (or platinum if you're hella rich)
Not on Journey (and shoulda been, honestly, there's just no reason not to and that's my own fault). And thanks!

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

Velius posted:

I’m continuing my magic user expert mode play through. Beat Plantera yesterday, using a tunnel and bed next to my arena to deal with phase two. I then noticed that my jungle underground ends at the top of my arena, so maybe that’s why she was going bananas in phase two in my earlier attempts. In any case, the difficulty curve breaks badly once specter armor is available. I went from barely doing it with exploits to killing her without dropping below half health. Kind of silly. Golem was completely trivial, and only a lack of batteries kept me from farming him indefinitely. No heat ray drop, but I got four golem fists and eyes, hooray.

Now trying Martian Madness and it’s actually really rough trying to kill the UFO; I didn’t get any of the direct fire spells from either Plantera or Golem so I’m relying on rainbow rod and it’s not really keeping up. I’d really like to get some of the UFO drops though.

Check out the moon events and dungeon, there are some good upgrades there

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Last blood moon I checked my vendors for any new stuff and found Bloodbath Dye from the Dye Trader. Neat, but doesn't really fit my aesthetic. Did stick it on a Tsunami in a Bottle, just for the drippy bottle of blood idea.

Then I found the Zoologist's Critter Shampoo.

FEAR THE BLOOD FINCH :unsmigghh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why is there a Dungeon Defenders crossover in this game anyways

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Turns out Plantera is an extremely easy fight, even on master mode and on the first attempt, if one first takes the time to go absolutely NUTS with the Chlorophyte pickaxe reforged to light, mining potion, ancient chisel and cake buffs while on the Black Spot master mode mount. I cleared an easy 70-80 block height area and I literally just ran rings around her. Even for the second phase, the only time I took damage was taking the screenshot below.

Fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Black Spot makes most things in the game so trivial I question why they even put it in what's supposed to be the hardest difficulty.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 31, 2020