Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
has anyone noticed blood moons being less common? they were pretty regular in all my previous playthroughs, but in my current game i've gotten all the way right up to the edge of hardmode, killed every normal mode boss, and even sandbagged for a good ~2 ingame weeks building and messing around and i haven't gotten a single blood moon

i'm going summoner build this time and i want the vampire frog staff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is there a Dungeon Defenders crossover in this game anyways

There's a bunch of weird cross promotions, though it is by far the most jarring. The pirate invasion was meant to be a promotion for Pixel Piracy, which Relogic published. The SDMG is all that's left of a promotion with Edge of Space, which didn't make it out before that game imploded.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The weirdest collab is definitely the one with a yoyo company that resulted in an entire class of weapons getting added to the game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

President Ark posted:

has anyone noticed blood moons being less common? they were pretty regular in all my previous playthroughs, but in my current game i've gotten all the way right up to the edge of hardmode, killed every normal mode boss, and even sandbagged for a good ~2 ingame weeks building and messing around and i haven't gotten a single blood moon

I'm getting them fairly regular and have gotten a few of those Tears so have started a few on my own.
Not in hardmode yet and have gotten probably 6-7 so far.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

SirSamVimes posted:

The weirdest collab is definitely the one with a yoyo company that resulted in an entire class of weapons getting added to the game.

I think you mean coolest collab :colbert:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I found a full set of clothes for cosplaying Toad in a shroom chest, does being able to dress up as at least five Mario characters count as a collab?

Dareon fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 31, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Holy poo poo, the Lunatic Cultist is eating me alive. I mean, I gotta get good, but I have full Shroominite armor so I feel like I can't get much more defense and I'm doing like a quarter of his health before I die.

On the upside, tactical shotgun+chlorophyte bullet=lots of damage wow

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. I'd gotten a corruption key ages ago and it turns out scourge of the corruptor annihilates golem. Got a Godly possessed hatchet from him, so went on to annihilate the Lunatic Cultist. Now I have the pillars to fight and I think they're gonna be messy.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, the Lunatic Cultist is eating me alive. I mean, I gotta get good, but I have full Shroominite armor so I feel like I can't get much more defense and I'm doing like a quarter of his health before I die.

I know I got pasted the first time I fought him because I ignored his gimmick. When he clones himself one of him is brighter. If you hit any of the other ones, he summons a dragon. Firing constantly will get you killed pretty easily. If you're looking for it it's not that hard, though.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was struggling with Fishron and moved over to turtle armour and a frozen turtle shield, if you're paying attention it's almost impossible to die.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Our crew finished off our Master run. Game is just...Wild, how far it's come. To think it went from where it was on launch to this is just absolutely mindboggling.

What a game. And I still get ideas on building cool little houses for NPCs. I'm glad this update kinda forced that on me instead of my rolling out the gulag for the umpteenth time.

Also basically being a rainbow space death god at the end of a full Master run is hilariously entertaining in how overpowered you really are. Love it. Really digging going with various hybrid builds around some summons, I feel like they really did flesh out that tree a lot. It's awesome.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

President Ark posted:

I got more of them later, I think they're at least partially gated by game progress now maybe?

dis astranagant posted:

The SDMG is all that's left of a promotion with Edge of Space, which didn't make it out before that game imploded.
I never would have known that if you didn't mention it because this is a game that already had two sea life machinegun weapons when the space dolphin machine gun was added. :staredog:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Woden posted:

I was struggling with Fishron and moved over to turtle armour and a frozen turtle shield, if you're paying attention it's almost impossible to die.
I guess my question is whether the 20ish def is worth the loss of 20% crit chance and 15% damage boost. But I guess dying is trash and not dying owns.

Qylvaran posted:

I know I got pasted the first time I fought him because I ignored his gimmick.
:same:

but the second time I just ate poo poo from lightning and ice.

edit: the turtle armor + shield did the trick relatively easily, plus the wiki telling me his lightning and fire are blocked by platforms so I built a few tiny little roofs to hide under, now to throw myself at the Vortex Pillar repeatedly until I die enough for it to die and get Phantasm

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 31, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is there a Dungeon Defenders crossover in this game anyways

The official explanation is that the team at relogic actually enjoyed playing DD2 during breaks, so they chatted with the DD2 developers and came up with the crossover idea.

You can play the dryad in DD2, where she is apparently one of the best hero classes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The grind for the rod of discord has reminded me why I first started playing with mods. Imksushi's extra crafting recipes mod is just about required to not get bored to tears trying to obtain some things... I think I'm about done with the game until tmodloader and stuff get updated. That or play Journey mode instead so I can push the spawn rate to 5-10x on demand.

Should've played Journey mode from the beginning.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's one of the more annoying limitations of Journey Mode that it doesn't even help all that much with grinding for that kind of stuff. Rods of Discord can't even be found in crates, so the only way to really get it is to stand in the underground hallow somewhere and hope that it drops before your inventory and vault completely fill up with trash and you have to start getting rid of things.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 31, 2020

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPB1sb7MRQ
Gamers, it is done. (This boss is a one hit KO if you touch anything; I got extra lucky with ninja gear doges!)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

It's one of the more annoying limitations of Journey Mode that it doesn't even help all that much with grinding for that kind of stuff. Rods of Discord can even be found in crates, so the only way to really get it is to stand in the underground hallow somewhere and hope that it drops before your inventory and vault completely fill up with trash and you have to start getting rid of things.

I think you meant to say can't

I got up to 500 ish kills before I got tired of trying, in a dedicated arena setup with stardust minions / possessed hatchet (to keep them spawning). Might try more later, but meh. Did get well over 100 mimic kills in the process as well as all mimic drops...

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just to make y'all jealous, my friend and I went down to the hallow on a lantern night (we had just beaten the Queen Slime) and got the rod after beating two or three Chaos Elementals.

I was freaking out, but my friend didn't realize how incredibly unlikely that was. Thank goodness we were in Journey mode so we only needed one.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Tell me your strats for doing your first mechanical boss on Master please. Right now my answer looks like it's going to be the Daedalus on a map-wide platform. The adamant bow with jester arrows did really well against the Destroyer but could not wrangle the probe adds.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crimson Harvest posted:

Tell me your strats for doing your first mechanical boss on Master please. Right now my answer looks like it's going to be the Daedalus on a map-wide platform. The adamant bow with jester arrows did really well against the Destroyer but could not wrangle the probe adds.

Ambaire posted:

After getting destroyed by the Destroyer a few times trying it with star cannon/etc and dps accessories, I farmed up that Onyx Blaster thing and did a full reforge to wardingx7 and with Titanium ranged armor, 76 defense and all the buffs ever and a full rack of defensive accessories (charm of myths, star veil, ankh shield, shield of cthulhu, worm scarf, wings, terraspark boots), I was able to kill it fairly painlessly on Master mode. One mechanical boss down, 2 to go.

Onyx blaster is so ridiculously good for that boss, haha.

Still haven't smashed any altars, nor intend to.

.. I need to get a Life Heart farm going asap. Life was still at 480 (400 + lifeforce) for that fight.

Also, jester arrows are amazing if you can shoot down the length. A mix of star cannon and onyx blaster would probably be ideal for first kill.

... now i'm wondering if it might be possible to create an arena long enough that it comes out close to parallel to the ground as you're running away, letting you shoot piercing down its entire length for MEGA DAMAGE.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Using a railroad is also an option. It's faster than running and you can kite non-biome bosses basically from one end of the map to the other while staying far enough away to be beyond their attack range.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
What ammo did you put in the onyx blaster, explosive seemed iffy on non-boss targets and I didn't have parts for anything else.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

What ammo did you put in the onyx blaster, explosive seemed iffy on non-boss targets and I didn't have parts for anything else.

ichor

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's one of the more annoying limitations of Journey Mode that it doesn't even help all that much with grinding for that kind of stuff. Rods of Discord can't even be found in crates, so the only way to really get it is to stand in the underground hallow somewhere and hope that it drops before your inventory and vault completely fill up with trash and you have to start getting rid of things.

It helps a lot because you can crank spawns up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ichor arrows on an off weapon combined with crystal bullets is a pretty powerful combination. In general, I stick with meteor bullets until I can get something to chlorophyte or unless I am fighting a boss, though. Especially underground, the bounce it just too convenient for getting annoying targets and hitting multiple enemies at once.

The Lone Badger posted:

It helps a lot because you can crank spawns up.
Still takes forever, though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crimson Harvest posted:

It was either exploding or crystal. If you have crimson... farm mats for ichor bullets, I suppose.

Reading up on the wiki, it seems the Dryad will sell crimson seeds in a graveyard biome on a hardmode corrupt world, so I can finally get some of that without needing to create a second world and progress it to hardmode. Cool.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

Explosive, Ichor, Crystal, You'll probably be working on having something better by the time you have chlorophyte but that's the good stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ichor's big thing is its debuff, which mostly helps with enemies tough enough to take multiple hits since it lowers their defense rating for subsequent hits, so if you're specifically looking for something to use on standard enemies outside of boss fights, you should consider the types first. It's still one of the best types of ammunition you can get, but using it against trash mobs isn't playing to its strengths. Something that spreads out the damage or pierces is generally more useful there.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 1, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

Ichor's big thing is its debuff, which mostly helps with enemies tough enough to take multiple hits since it raises their defense rating for subsequent hits, so if you're specifically looking for something to use on standard enemies outside of boss fights, you should consider the types first. It's still one of the best types of ammunition you can get, but using it against trash mobs isn't playing to its strengths. Something that spreads out the damage or pierces is generally more useful there.

Uh, what? The wiki says it lowers their defense rating by 20. Nothing about raising. The destroyer is immune to it, however.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oops, sorry. It's getting late here. I was thinking about lowering defense to raise the attack's damage and I guess I mashed up the sentences while typing it out. Yeah, it lowers their defense and raises the damage of attacks above or near the damage threshold.

It's why they go so well with something like Crystal Bullets. Crystal Bullets shatter into three shards that do 50% weapon damage each, which is often not enough to do more than 1 damage per hit because of damage mitigation from defense. The Ichor debuff can push that up by a lot, so instead of doing 3 extra damage per hit, you suddenly do 15 or something like that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 1, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Somehow I'm only missing a Compass for the Cell Phone. Any better way to farm that than to go to a brand new world and farm Piranhas (since they're 1/3 as common in hardmode)?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Caverns layer in an ice biome.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Lone Badger posted:

Caverns layer in an ice biome.
From the Vikings? I guess the little furry dudes also drop it. Is that going to be better? Are spawn rates natively higher underground?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

From the Vikings? I guess the little furry dudes also drop it. Is that going to be better? Are spawn rates natively higher underground?

Surface ice didn't spawn anyone who could drop it - mostly just Frozen Zombies. Vikings are the equivalent of skeletons, you only get them once you're deep enough.

I can't comment that much on the efficiency because I got it after like five seconds in the ice caverns so I left again.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Do hellevators need walls or is a big shaft made by bombs fine?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Thought I'd post all the places I built on Munki's cool Goonserver

Desert Town on the Oasis

Lighthouse at the Ocean

Underwater Dome

I ran out of space in the ocean so I built an Ocean in a dome in the sky above the underwater dome and then put the floating island biome dome in that dome.

Turned a floating island into a jungle

This screenshot kind of sucks but it's a chunk of mushroom biome attached to the bottom of a floating lake with chains. Good for fishing!

Graveyard Biome with a toggleable house for unique sales

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zachack posted:

I usually just bomb it, drop a rope, and put up some torches.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Zachack posted:

I made my first hellevator today with bombs and it was fine. I had to use my pickaxe for a couple sections but it went smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hellevators are just a big hole in the ground that can get you to the Underworld quickly. As long as it does that, you can really do whatever else you want with it.