Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'd like to see the rest of the arm attachments for the Prawn, if there are any.

AltaBrown posted:

Use the Repulsion cannon on the Sea Moth.
Use the Repulsion cannon on the Cyclops.
Use the Repulsion cannon on E V E R T H I N G.

Also, this. The way people are talking, I really want to see this thing in action; video game physics are amazing. I really hope you can ragdoll Reapers.

I noticed something about torpedoes on some vehicles, but nobody's talked about them. Are they just absolutely crappy or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Overbuild your habitat and make it flood (a deep flood), then go in and repair it. Show off the doors, and how they make rooms flood at different levels.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Drive your cyclops deep into the void as penance for killing the baby ghost leviathan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

azren posted:

I noticed something about torpedoes on some vehicles, but nobody's talked about them. Are they just absolutely crappy or something?

They don't really do anything and they're hard to make.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the torpedoes in action.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

azren posted:

I'd like to see the rest of the arm attachments for the Prawn, if there are any.

Also, this. The way people are talking, I really want to see this thing in action; video game physics are amazing. I really hope you can ragdoll Reapers.

This game does not have the most robust physics system and it kinda makes it even better.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
I would also like to see the various deterrent technologies you can use to ward off aggressive wildlife.

I don't remember if it was brought up, but you can chase off most medium sized aggressive fish, including crabsquids, by headbutting them with the seamoth's canopy. Supposedly the seamoth armor upgrade only affects collision damage and not creature attacks, so I think I went though a good part of the game wearing a false sense of security. :v:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I wanna see torpedos being used!

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
There's this bizarrely complex cave system inside a specific tree mushroom that stretches all the way to the far reaches of the bulb Zone, it has some really neat views and geometry inside that could be cool to show off.

Also, the crash zone mesas are a thing of note I don't think you've shown off yet.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

jboslund posted:

I would also like to see the various deterrent technologies you can use to ward off aggressive wildlife.

I don't remember if it was brought up, but you can chase off most medium sized aggressive fish, including crabsquids, by headbutting them with the seamoth's canopy. Supposedly the seamoth armor upgrade only affects collision damage and not creature attacks, so I think I went though a good part of the game wearing a false sense of security. :v:

There's a Seamoth Taser upgrade which is great for when a Reaper grabs you. You shock the crap out of its face and then it swims away like a puppy hit with a rolled up newspaper.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Polderjoch posted:

Also, the crash zone mesas are a thing of note I don't think you've shown off yet.

No power in Heaven or on Earth could get me to go to the right-hand side of the Aurora. The water is murky, there's like five different Reapers all hanging out there, and there's just nothing to do or see.

Otherwise so far it sounds like you all want to see:

• the different Prawn armaments
  • floater experiments
  • repulsion cannon experiments
  • the Mesmer
  • Gary
  • taming a Stalker
  • the Cyclops horn
  • that one cave in one of the mushroom trees

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

DoubleNegative posted:

No power in Heaven or on Earth could get me to go to the right-hand side of the Aurora. The water is murky, there's like five different Reapers all hanging out there, and there's just nothing to do or see.

Fair enough, I still don't get why those mesas exist at all, it's not like there's anything there anyway and there's practically nothing useful on or around them.

I made a field base on top of one of them once and with my modded scanner room that greatly increases the range, I discovered... that the literal only things in that entire section of the map were 4 reapers, metal salvage, and some early-game outcrops :negative:
At least I found like, 8 time capsules.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Oh jeez, I just realized that there's something else I'd like to see if it's possible, but it would basically be speedrunning the game on a new file. I'd love to see if it's possible to save the Sunbeam by finishing the game before it gets shot out of the sky.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Polderjoch posted:

Fair enough, I still don't get why those mesas exist at all, it's not like there's anything there anyway and there's practically nothing useful on or around them.

I imagine it's there to make the area feel like an actual impact zone where a huge-rear end spaceship crashed. If this big ship smashed into an area that was still full of life and stuff, it would probably feel less, well..impactful.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

azren posted:

Oh jeez, I just realized that there's something else I'd like to see if it's possible, but it would basically be speedrunning the game on a new file. I'd love to see if it's possible to save the Sunbeam by finishing the game before it gets shot out of the sky.

It's definitely possible. If you're able to shut down Gun Island before triggering the final Sunbeam event (not difficult, just use the radio very sparingly) then it changes the scene such that the Sunbeam doesn't even try to land- the captain comes on and explains that there's a huge debris field and he can't risk it. He leaves and promises to send help.

...or at least that's how it supposed to happen. When I did it, the regular shoot down event and animations played, albeit with glitchy animations from and back to its deactivated state. I looked into it and saw that lots of people had the same problem. Not sure if it ever got patched or not, it apparently worked properly in older versions of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you knew where to go would you even need to use the radio? I haven’t gotten the impression the map is randomized, just where you’ll find some pieces, but I might have understood it wrong.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

If you knew where to go would you even need to use the radio? I haven’t gotten the impression the map is randomized, just where you’ll find some pieces, but I might have understood it wrong.

If your goal is to get to Gun Island and shut it down before the Sunbeam gets there, you can skip most of the game, I think. I've never done it or watched runs of it, but just offhand I think you'd rush getting the Seamoth, then rush getting the Prawn. Get the Moonpool parts so you can build the Prawn's depth module and then head straight for where we're at in the LP now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can take all the time you want if you just don't bother fixing the radio until you're good and ready.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

You can take all the time you want if you just don't bother fixing the radio until you're good and ready.

Really? I'd always assumed it was just timer based. I had no idea the timer didn't start until you fixed the escape pod.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

Really? I'd always assumed it was just timer based. I had no idea the timer didn't start until you fixed the escape pod.

You get the first Sunbeam radio message a certain time after the start of the game, then the next message a certain time after hearing the first, and so on until the actual scene is twenty minutes after hearing the last message.

If you never fix the radio, and thus never actually hear the messages, the plotline won't progress.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Tenebrais posted:

You get the first Sunbeam radio message a certain time after the start of the game, then the next message a certain time after hearing the first, and so on until the actual scene is twenty minutes after hearing the last message.

If you never fix the radio, and thus never actually hear the messages, the plotline won't progress.

This. I actually went through about 75% of the game without ever touching the radio. It took longer, but I had more fun exploring and stumbling on places than being directed by coordinates. It's really not that hard to get by without the radio, even if you don't already know roughly where everything is positioned.

EggsAisle posted:

...or at least that's how it supposed to happen. When I did it, the regular shoot down event and animations played, albeit with glitchy animations from and back to its deactivated state. I looked into it and saw that lots of people had the same problem. Not sure if it ever got patched or not, it apparently worked properly in older versions of the game.

The same thing happened to me. It was a known bug at the time, although I have no idea if it was ever fixed. The fact that they have an audio transmission done up for it means that it was an event that you were supposed to be able to trigger if you wanted.

At the time I played, there was supposed to be a workaround where you triggered the Sunbeam landing timer and then entered the facility to deactivate the gun platform, but this still only worked occasionally. I just gave up and ignored the radio after a few tries. It doesn't accomplish anything either way, but dammit, I prevented another ship from getting blasted out of the sky.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The wiki says this, with regards to the Sunbeam:

quote:

However, if the player manages to disable the Quarantine Enforcement Platform before the Sunbeam arrives, [the Sunbeam's captain] will inform them that they cannot attempt a landing due to large amounts of debris orbiting the planet. Despite the Sunbeam and its crew surviving, their attempt to rescue the player still fails.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

azren posted:

The current world record gets off planet around the time the Aurora explodes so yeah it’s possible :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#23 - Thermal Plant

What's that? You want to go even deeper?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
I got lucky with the Thermal Plant. The Sea Dragon Leviathan spooked the poo poo out of me when I first saw it, so I went around the edge from the entrance to find a good place to park the Cyclops. I hid it away behind a pillar, I think. I can't believe that you were able to park the Queen Bee basically right underneath the drat thing with no trouble at all.

Anyway, the place where I parked my Cyclops happened to align with the mountain entrance, so when I started moving towards the mountain, the two glowing pillars were easily visible. That being said, I wound up circling the mountain later on anyway, purely because of me wanting to turn over every possible stone in the game.

As for the plant itself, I've never seen that glitch either. I don't remember ever having any trouble running around in the Prawn inside that place.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh the floor bug doesn't happen with just alien structures. At one point when I was redesigning my main base I had a point where I couldn't walk through one of the tubes without falling through the floor into the ocean itself. It went so far I had to construct another door to be able to even get inside the other end of the tube without falling through.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

That glitch getting your Prawn clipped inside the floor firs thappened to me there, and after that it happened every single time I went inside them. It's ridiculously annoying.

Another annoying thing is Ion Batteries coming in so late, it would've been much better if you got a few in like, the Degasi Grand Reef base or something.

Also, you missed most of the Time Capsules because they typically only spawn at the edges of the map, with most of them tending to spawn in the northern edges of Blood Kelp, and the Mountain, Dunes, Crash zone, and Bone Field biomes, all of which you avoided (for good reason). If you do go to them though a single trip to one of them can easily net you with a good number of them, which is where I got Ion Batteries and upwards of 8 Cuddlefish from in my run of the game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've had a couple of time capsules ping when I'm in the mushroom forest, the problem is finding them is a complete pain because the place is really vertical at the same time so no way of knowing if they're on the ground on in one of the trees.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can activate your Cyclops shields to instantly unstick succ bugs. No need to go outside.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 31, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Ok, ok, I know this game is very unrealistic; it's not meant to be, etc. etc. But water surrounding a magma flow would NOT be only 50°C!!!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

You can activate your Cyclops shields to instantly unstick succ bugs. No need to go outside.

Yeah, that's something I wanted to mention in the videos. But each activation of the shields while on regular power cells takes 5% of your Cyclops' batteries. So when it was time to show it off, I had serious doubts about the Queen Bee's ability to return from the depths and elected not to.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sanctuaries Alpha, Beta, and Cappa? Shouldn't that be Gamma? Kappa is like letter 10 in Greek.

And please go pet the Sea Dragon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, that dropping energy meter on the Cyclops is stressing the hell out of me. Admittedly, by the time I got here in my playthrough, I had ran out of energy and had to whip up an emergency base with a thermal plant, battery recharger and nothing else - and spend a long time just hanging in the dark, repairing the Cyclops and waiting for the goddamned power cells to top up.

The fact I didn't find the thermal plant and happily went on to the next zone didn't help either.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 31, 2020

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
What I've always done is bring the non-Kyanite components for the Cyclops' Thermal Reactor with me, and once I see my first deposit I mine that and craft it. Then the lava larvae can stick to it all they want and they've never pushed it below 60%.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Kyanite is such a pain in the rear end to harvest. Any other material, including ion cubes, you reliably get one or two every time the node loses a chunk of its size. With the kyanite node, you might get a single chunk; most of the time you get nothing. Really it seems you got insanely lucky to get 4 out of each the nodes you harvested.

I don't think the Sea Dragons prey on the Reapers, I think they eat the same microorganisms the other leviathans eat. The skeletal Reaper you found suffered the same fate as those newbies you were talking about earlier: it wandered into the inactive volcanic zone trying to get away from something bad, and found itself in an even worse situation.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay I haven't been tremendously intimidated by the reapers, but that sea dragon is loving terrifying! I love the creature design in this game, it does such a beautiful job of making the things you find weird and, well, alien at the very least, and loving horrifying at the worst.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Morrow posted:

What I've always done is bring the non-Kyanite components for the Cyclops' Thermal Reactor with me, and once I see my first deposit I mine that and craft it. Then the lava larvae can stick to it all they want and they've never pushed it below 60%.

All three vehicles have recharger modules & they all charge pretty fast if you can get the vehicle into the designated area (heat/sunlight). They're practically necessary, as you can see.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Sanctuaries Alpha, Beta, and Cappa? Shouldn't that be Gamma? Kappa is like letter 10 in Greek.

And please go pet the Sea Dragon.

The PDA also pronounces acquired "ack-wired". It's one of those little things that just grates on my nerves whenever I hear it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wicked Them Beats posted:

why would the aliens be Greek

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Dyz posted:

The PDA also pronounces acquired "ack-wired". It's one of those little things that just grates on my nerves whenever I hear it.

How else would you pronounce it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So that bug is a constant problem when you're getting out of your prawn on dry land. As best I can figure, it's because the game wants to put your in your 'I am swimming' body, which is, you know, you being horizontal instead of standing up. So you're basically crawling around on your belly. Fortunately, there is a very easy fix for it.

Just go into the water. If you crawl back over to the water, and then cross back inside, you'll be put standing properly.