Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just be clear, it's not a space shuttle. It's a small capsule designed to take astronauts to the ISS, since because we scrapped the Shuttle Program in 2011 we have had to pay the Russians to take us there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just be clear, it's not a space shuttle. It's a small capsule designed to take astronauts to the ISS, since because we scrapped the Shuttle Program in 2011 we have had to pay the Russians to take us there.

Correct; I was mistaken. It’s a capsule.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_q9y888TmDG1vcdf2k_480.mp4

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where's the rest of the music video?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-voyagers-year-of-hell-episodes-could-have-be-1843782219

quote:

Star Trek: Voyager's 'Year of Hell' Episodes Could Have Been a Whole Season, According to Bryan Fuller

If the writers had had their way.

Often considered the highlight of the series, the “Year of Hell” two-parter in Star Trek: Voyager’s fourth season injects messy timeline shenanigans and high drama into the series, which typically focused on less serialized, less intense stories than its immediate forebear, Deep Space Nine. According to Bryan Fuller, who talked about working on Voyager in a recent episode of the Inglorious Treksperts podcast, the initial concept was for the story in these two episodes to comprise a full season arc.

“The ‘Year of Hell’ and the behind-the-scenes drama not only to craft episode, but that season, was fascinating because we wanted ‘Year of Hell’ to last the entire season,” Fuller said (as transcribed by Trek Movie). “We wanted to see Voyager get its rear end kicked every episode and through that season was going to be marbled the story of Annorax and the time ship that was changing things. So, we would go back to it every once in a while to remind the audience that is the larger story. But [it was rejected] because Deep Space Nine made [Voyager co-creator and executive producer] Rick Berman allergic to serialized storytelling, violently so.”

While Berman would eventually nix the idea, Fuller said that it was animating, one of the most exciting concepts to move through the Voyager writer’s room.

“We are really going to be on the outskirts of the galaxy and we are going to be fighting enemies that are kicking us when we are down. The crew is going to have to separate and we are going to be following episodes that are going to deal with people on shuttlecrafts with escape pods that are electrically buoyed together,” Fuller explained. “There would be an episode where you never saw Janeway and never saw Voyager because you are with the people who are on the escape pods trying to find a new source of power or safety. It was like creative crack for the writers’ room, because all of a sudden there were so many opportunities.”

That idea remained animating right up until it was pitched... and subsequently rejected.

“I remember [showrunner Brannon Baga] going over to Rick’s office with all of this enthusiasm and coming back broken and his head hanging low and having to break it to the writing staff. We all felt like we were doing it, we are making great Star Trek. For him to come back and say we can’t and we can only do two episodes as opposed to twenty-two, it was heartbreaking,” Fuller said.

That tension, between writerly ambition and Berman’s strong opinions, was a significant source of the unique and not always successful vibe of Voyager, according to Fuller. While the show did find its footing, it’s disappointing to know that such a neat arc could have been a whole lot more.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

This is the only logical response to that article:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Year of Shill

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I think this was already known, but Berman and Co made it clear that they would not do DS9-style long-arc storytelling on Voyager.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think Fuller's overstating his level of involvement here. Fuller was only a contributing writer at that time and wouldn't have been in the writers' room full-time, nor privy to the behind-the-scenes politics at that point, considering he only became a co-producer with the seventh season.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gonz posted:

Edit: Old Space Shuttle cockpit:

I got to tour the Shuttle trainer in Seattle a few months ago, which includes a fully-accurate cockpit (albeit not with flight hardware), and learned that all the buttons in the center console are recessed so that astronauts could freely step on it without fear of accidentally breaking or toggling any buttons or switches.

Also the different colors of velcro indicate whether it's Shuttle-standard (blue), astronaut-requested (yellow), or contractor/mission-specific (white).

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Rick Berman just seems like a bummer. Say what you will about Brannon Braga, but he had some great Trek episodes and seemed to fight for good writing part of the time. Sure he took some risks with lovely episodes, but he took risks with other episodes that still stand out today. Berman just seemed to not understand Trek or science fiction, and in general felt annoyed and burdened with running Trek.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm sure I once read somewhere that Berman tried to leverage his position as Trek's successful showrunner into a higher executive role, and Paramount shut him down and said "Nope, you're the Star Trek guy, stay in your box and keep making us money." Can't remember where, though.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
A thing to consider about the whole entire season of Year of Hell concept is that it would probably an even bigger drag to have an entire season of actually living up to the shows basic premise, then them pressing the reset button and saying "well, enough of that, back to normal!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Seemlar posted:

A thing to consider about the whole entire season of Year of Hell concept is that it would probably an even bigger drag to have an entire season of actually living up to the shows basic premise, then them pressing the reset button and saying "well, enough of that, back to normal!"

But we would have gotten an entire season of Kurtwood Smith. Totally worth it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

tmm3k posted:

Rick Berman just seems like a bummer. Say what you will about Brannon Braga, but he had some great Trek episodes and seemed to fight for good writing part of the time. Sure he took some risks with lovely episodes, but he took risks with other episodes that still stand out today. Berman just seemed to not understand Trek or science fiction, and in general felt annoyed and burdened with running Trek.

They're both dead-eyed pod people. Watch this poo poo.

Watch them talk about how they had no idea how to actually use the setting or gimmicks of the setting they created. Watch them insist that the Temporal Cold War was a good idea and imply Manny Coto is the idiot who got Star Trek cancelled, etc. At one point they talk about doing an Avengers style story, which I can't see being anything but "generations but more and worse" when written by these two.

The only good thing about this is them talking about how they tried to get shatner to do a thing and he apparently asked for all the money in the goddamn world to come back and play his character's great grandfather in enterprise so they nixed it. I'm really curious as to what Bill charges for a movie role/appearance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They're both dead-eyed pod people. Watch this poo poo.

Watch them talk about how they had no idea how to actually use the setting or gimmicks of the setting they created. Watch them insist that the Temporal Cold War was a good idea and imply Manny Coto is the idiot who got Star Trek cancelled, etc. At one point they talk about doing an Avengers style story, which I can't see being anything but "generations but more and worse" when written by these two.

The only good thing about this is them talking about how they tried to get shatner to do a thing and he apparently asked for all the money in the goddamn world to come back and play his character's great grandfather in enterprise so they nixed it. I'm really curious as to what Bill charges for a movie role/appearance.

Probably less. His actual pedigree as an actor in general is honestly pretty good (it's easy to forget, but Shatner's particular way of acting comes right out of his time Shakespearean stage acting in Canada); it's just that he can dig his claws in and go "I am Captain Kirk and you have to pay me The Big Star Trek Money if I'm going to do The Star Trek thing."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if Picard ever told Starfleet that he buried Kirk, and they had to race to that specific pile of stones to give him a proper burial.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shatner is doing CPAP cleaning machine commercials right now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Shatner is doing CPAP cleaning machine commercials right now.
Oh god is he?

He needs to get his CHUD daughter off of his Twitter account.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh god is he?

He needs to get his CHUD daughter off of his Twitter account.

https://www.soclean.com/en-ca/sleep-talk/2019/07/08/william-shatner-how-the-soclean-has-changed-my-life

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm really curious as to what Bill charges for a movie role/appearance.

His fee for Generations was $6 million.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if Picard ever told Starfleet that he buried Kirk, and they had to race to that specific pile of stones to give him a proper burial.

I always figured Star Fleet eventually came back to clean up everything on the planet given that it was one orbit over from a planet with a pre-warp civilization on it. Leaving half a starship and alien corpses within eventually easy access of a primitive race would be a big violation of the Prime Directive.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arivia posted:

Probably less. His actual pedigree as an actor in general is honestly pretty good (it's easy to forget, but Shatner's particular way of acting comes right out of his time Shakespearean stage acting in Canada); it's just that he can dig his claws in and go "I am Captain Kirk and you have to pay me The Big Star Trek Money if I'm going to do The Star Trek thing."

Kind of hard to argue with it as well. Sure it would have been cool, but given how much publicity it would have got them to have Shatner appear in Enterprise it probably would have been worth big bucks.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Zurui posted:

This is the only logical response to that article:

Who let George Costanza into this photo shoot?

I wonder if they actually did Year of Hell as a whole season if it would end the same? That would surely piss a lot of people off to have an entire season that doesn't matter in the end.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you did it as a season arc I think there'd be a way to avoid it just being a reset button scenario. You could have Voyager fix the timeline but for (Star Trek Reasons) Voyager itself isn't reset and they have a portion of the next season all about fixing the ship and getting back to normal, dealing with consequences.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Year of Hell as a general concept wouldn't necessarily even involve a timeship or a reset. The original setup to it in Season 3 when Kes was jumping through time didn't mention one; it was just a really bad year where they were under constant attack by the Krenim and the ship was wrecked and lots of people died.

The Krenim had torpedoes in temporal flux to get through the shields, but that was just setup explaining why Kes was time jumping. Voyager never shields against them, they only survive with a tactic of blasting everything they can at the Krenim torpedo launchers at the start of every engagement.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 1, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

If you did it as a season arc I think there'd be a way to avoid it just being a reset button scenario. You could have Voyager fix the timeline but for (Star Trek Reasons) Voyager itself isn't reset and they have a portion of the next season all about fixing the ship and getting back to normal, dealing with consequences.

You could even do a Caretaker call-back with it, Voyager finds a way to reset the time-line, but doing so will either affect just them, or everything else. So they can avoid the damage to the ship and the deaths they have witnessed over the year, but the greater damage to alien species they will never see again will stand, or they can save all those planets affected but Voyager will go on bearing the scars.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Year of Hell as a general concept wouldn't necessarily even involve a timeship or a reset. The original setup to it in Season 3 when Kes was jumping through time didn't mention one; it was just a really bad year where they were under constant attack by the Krenim and the ship was wrecked and lots of people died.

That was such a good episode and made me pissed that Kes wasn't in the whole rest of the show.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How many crew were killed during Year of Hell? I feel like there's a certain point at which having them continue the journey back home is at least as implausible as the eternal reset button was, because at some point you've lost too many crew and/or the ship is too trashed to be plausibly able to carry on.

I can't remember which iteration of the thread it was, but I remember once suggesting that the Hirogen takeover would have been a decent way to end Year of Hell; Voyager's unlucky enough to run into the Hirogen right after dealing with Anorax (that was the crazy time-dude's name, right?), they get taken over and their holodecks and crew exploited, and then the big trade-off at the end is "okay fine we'll give you holodeck technology, in exchange for being able to use one of your drydocks" and that's what allows them to get back to (mostly) normal.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

They absolutely 100% would have hit that reset button at the end of the season. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

"We had at least half a dozen different endings, and reshot endings," Joe Menosky recalled. "Brannon wanted to keep the ship wrecked for the entire season, and he didn't want to end with a reset. The studio [namely, Paramount Pictures] didn't want to do that. [Executive producer] Rick Berman didn't want to do that. So we didn't do that. I wanted at least a couple of people to know what had happened. We actually wrote this ending even though we didn't shoot it, where time is reset, the weapon is gone; we know what has happened to us through some complication I can't even remember."
"That was written and never shot because Rick said it was too complicated, and he was right. I can't even remember the tortured reasoning we had so that some of us could remember. Rick said, 'Just plow Voyager into the weapon ship, and reset the timeline, and nobody remembers.' That was the simplest solution."

Inferring from some of the other Memory Alpha stuff, it looks like when they say they wanted Year of Hell to last for a year, what they actually were proposing was that the Krenim episode would last for four episodes, and then Voyager would exit Krenim space and they'd go back to mainly episodic but Voyager would stay wrecked from the Krenim stuff and they'd spend the whole year being dunked on by anything that breathed their way and taking heavy losses, and they'd have episodes about survival and so on. Then in the Season 4 finale of that there'd be some plot device to help them repair, an ally that fixes them up or something after Voyager saves them. Basically the Krenim would've shifted them into Star Trek: Equinox for a season.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 1, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Nullsmack posted:

That was subtle.

Man, that was like 10 times better than 'oh poo poo' in conveying, well, that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I’ve avoided reading really any social media or forums on Trek for a long time but I finished Picard and settled in for what was a surprising but somewhat deserved bashing from seemingly every site. Rather than discuss specific details of the show with regard to any specific narratives or subject matter I kept thinking about Enterprise.

Enterprise is my favorite Trek Show beside TNG. I watched TNG come out in real time so it has a special place in my heart but I felt that Enterprise did a good job of continuing the feeling of exploration and maintaining the campiness of the Trek concept.

Yet, I can recall vividly people criticizing Enterprise online and elsewhere for being “campy,” too episodic (especially seasons 1 and 2). Let’s be honest it was more like berating. They complained endlessly about the introduction (which was actually inspirational at the very least) and certain characters and while people softened their attitude toward season 3 and 4 the damage was already done.

I couldn’t help but think tonight as I watched the Red Letter Media video and read through various forums that all of the complaints about Discovery and Picard for being too dark or violent or whatever are the direct result of fans mistreating Enterprise. There simply wasn’t confidence that another Voyager/Enterprise show would be well received so they chose the style and feeling of these new programs. It will probably be the case that we don’t get another eye removal in season 2 of Picard and it will probably be generally more well received by fans in the same way season 2 of discovery was. But, my overall feeling after this wild ride of catching up on what trek fans think is: if you want the old style back, blame early 2000s trek fans when it doesn’t happen. Everything they want now watching discovery and Picard they complained about back then. Now they include clips from enterprise in their longing montages of the good old days as if they weren’t part of the mob back then.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 1, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Well, I don't know about blaming the fans, the studio had really whipped the TNG-style Trek horse into oblivion by the time Enterprise rolled around so I can't blame people for being bored with it. But I think you're pretty on the money about the studio being afraid of reviving that formula because of the criticism those later era shows received. That's what the JJ trek revival that kicked all this off was reacting against in the first place.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 1, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shammypants posted:

I’ve avoided reading really any social media or forums on Trek for a long time but I finished Picard and settled in for what was a surprising but somewhat deserved bashing from seemingly every site. Rather than discuss specific details of the show with regard to any specific narratives or subject matter I kept thinking about Enterprise.

Enterprise is my favorite Trek Show beside TNG. I watched TNG come out in real time so it has a special place in my heart but I felt that Enterprise did a good job of continuing the feeling of exploration and maintaining the campiness of the Trek concept.

Yet, I can recall vividly people criticizing Enterprise online and elsewhere for being “campy,” too episodic (especially seasons 1 and 2). Let’s be honest it was more like berating. They complained endlessly about the introduction (which was actually inspirational at the very least) and certain characters and while people softened their attitude toward season 3 and 4 the damage was already done.

I couldn’t help but think tonight as I watched the Red Letter Media video and read through various forums that all of the complaints about Discovery and Picard for being too dark or violent or whatever are the direct result of fans mistreating Enterprise. There simply wasn’t confidence that another Voyager/Enterprise show would be well received so they chose the style and feeling of these new programs. It will probably be the case that we don’t get another eye removal in season 2 of Picard and it will probably be generally more well received by fans in the same way season 2 of discovery was. But, my overall feeling after this wild ride of catching up on what trek fans think is: if you want the old style back, blame early 2000s trek fans when it doesn’t happen. Everything they want now watching discovery and Picard they complained about back then. Now they include clips from enterprise in their longing montages of the good old days as if they weren’t part of the mob back then.

Everyone who has ever not liked the shows you like is not the same person.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I think it's pretty simple, people back then were sick of the episodic Roddenberry tone after 15 years of increasingly stagnant shows. Now people have had 15 years or so to get sick of darker action violence and are ready to change it up again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Some people do seem to want a show with crazy SciFi concepts but totally grounded in currently known scientific fact.

Like the people who complain about the Mycelial Network in Discovery. That's an insane concept, but I like it because it feels very Trek. Yes it doesn't make sense with any science as we know it, but neither do things like a transporter accident splitting someone into two or merging two into one and we rolled with them back in the day.

Basically what I'm saying is that all Strange New Worlds needs to do to get me on board is have a transporter accident episode.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Senor Tron posted:

Some people do seem to want a show with crazy SciFi concepts but totally grounded in currently known scientific fact.

Like the people who complain about the Mycelial Network in Discovery. That's an insane concept, but I like it because it feels very Trek. Yes it doesn't make sense with any science as we know it, but neither do things like a transporter accident splitting someone into two or merging two into one and we rolled with them back in the day.

Basically what I'm saying is that all Strange New Worlds needs to do to get me on board is have a transporter accident episode.
I think the mycelium network thing just breaks people's versimilitude. Like, I kind of agree, because it isn't like that sort of thing is out of bounds for a show, but it is like this massive new semi-magical physical fact in an established one, and it gets specifically connected to new linguistic concepts that seem like they veer out of bounds.

I'm not mad about it but I do actually suspect that this is a case where if they talked about like, metawarp or something, and the titty torture tardigrade was a metawarp entity, this particular axis of bitchin' would in fact have gone away.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I really like the mycelian network as a concept, but that's because I like all the episodes where there's things living in space, like the space jellyfish or the giant amoeba or all the living nebulas or fluidic space. I just like the idea that space in Star Trek's got this whole weird ecosystem of its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think it's pretty simple, people back then were sick of the episodic Roddenberry tone after 15 years of increasingly stagnant shows. Now people have had 15 years or so to get sick of darker action violence and are ready to change it up again.

Yeah, people where getting into The Sopranos and LOST and other serialized shows around that time. Episodic TV was dying a quick death unless you were into medical or law procedurals. You would think people who were into CSI or House or whatever wouldn’t be opposed to some Trek but they just weren’t interested for some reason.