Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Cell phone towers got shut off in MN by police btw, while they do god knows what to everyone during the blackout. Sucks for you if you need to call a hospital during a pandemic!

This is a great precedent to set btw, totally cool that we could lose this forum, Twitter, basically all communication channels on a whim if things escalate so much they decide to shutoff the internet backbone instead, which they have already discussed doing during training exercises for this scenario

I see we've moved on to the "freedom of speech doesn't include freedom to speak through a given medium, because technically you still have freedom of speech if your gag is loose enough for your words to still be intelligible if someone stands really close" stage.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2013/04/cellphones-after-boston-marathon-bombing-can-the-government-shut-down-towers.html

The "oh, they can do this because the feds give cell phone towers a license" excuse would also apply to licenses for local broadcast stations

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 16:56 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Its ham radio operators' time to shine

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jerry Bindle posted:

In the land of the cellphone-less, the Communist amateur radio operator is Chairman.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Jerry Bindle posted:

starlink now has a legitimate reason to exist

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

it's the new normal everyone

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't know where to post this...

Anyone else notice 2020 is the year of motherfucking black swans. Has anyone started a death cult for 2020 yet?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Anyone else notice 2020 is the year of motherfucking black swans. Has anyone started a death cult for 2020 yet?

Mayan calender calculation error

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Phi230 posted:

Mayan calender calculation error

Man, if Shadowrun kicks off this year...

:allears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's not really a black swan if Bush predicted it. Like, he apparently just read a book that pointed out that plagues seemed to happen in 100 years cycles, then put 1918 and 100 together and realized another would be coming up soon. That's the exact opposite of a black swan really.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

A slightly less bleak dystopia!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Had some friends who were doing really well send snaps last night of them getting together in one of thier houses and drunk rear end me roasted them for saying it was okay because they were staying six feet apart (they weren't) and now I guess im the wierdo because my wife and I aren't having people over.

It's over guys, we won.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

*starts Youtube video* What's going on, Deckers

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

No, but people in good health do far better than those with uncontrolled morbidities.

How do you explain the zero fatalities among our politicians? Genuinely curious. If you think it's because they managed to keep from being exposed somehow, sure I could accept that. But lol if you're calling me a loving idiot when there's people ITT who are convinced that the politicians have some top-secret COVID cure

Because you aren't talking about fatalities. You're talking about a complete lack of cases that aren't extremely mild. Rich and powerful people have access to great medical care that would keep them out of coffins but it isn't gonna keep them out of the hospital. No one in the senate has had a case that requires they go to the hospital because most of them haven't gotten it, not because of a top secret treatment.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Boris Johnson was half way to death despite having the best care in his country. But he was morbidly obese.

Co-morbidities really gently caress you over in combination with COVID.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Because you aren't talking about fatalities. You're talking about a complete lack of cases that aren't extremely mild. Rich and powerful people have access to great medical care that would keep them out of coffins but it isn't gonna keep them out of the hospital. No one in the senate has had a case that requires they go to the hospital because most of them haven't gotten it, not because of a top secret treatment.
Conclusion: They have all gotten top secret vaccines.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1267123700014383105

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sincx posted:

Boris Johnson was half way to death despite having the best care in his country. But he was morbidly obese.

Co-morbidities really gently caress you over in combination with COVID.

Our senate is chocked full of people with underlying health issues.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Norton the First posted:

A slightly less bleak dystopia!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

*starts Youtube video* What's going on, Deckers

Null sweat chummers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
girl walking home with groceries, not a protestor, shot in face with rubber bullet, bloody

https://i.imgur.com/DQysYg6.jpg

There’s a zillion of these on twitter

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 18:31 on May 31, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

girl walking home with groceries, not a protestor, shot in face with rubber bullet, bloody

We've been talking about it in the Cool Zone thread. Let's mosey over there

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Steve Yun posted:

When will antifa stop this needless violence

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Something's gotta give soon.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sure is a lot of pneumonia and flu deaths this year!

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hospitals are figuring out better action plans and achieving better outcomes.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
More like states are figuring out how to hide the numbers better.

But the idea that there won't be an uptick in deaths soon seems weird, the lockdown obviously had a positive effect that's being reversed right now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Action: diagnose patient as having pneumonia.
Outcome: patient has died from pneumonia.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

SKULL.GIF posted:

what's the trend on the overall positive test rate? i wonder if the expansion of testing is catching more mild cases whereas in March and early April you practically had to be hospitalized to get a test

i mean, yeah, the numbers are still heavily fudged and we are going to see a nightmarish spike in two weeks, but it's possible there's a reason the deaths haven't re-spiked *yet*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These charts are worldwide, btw, not just American. I don't think everywhere is hiding as many deaths as America is.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

gross

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
shout outs to colorado for unexpectedly becoming the chuddiest state in the union w/r/t covid

zero covid deaths apparently, just 40 deaths WITH covid

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

These charts are worldwide, btw, not just American. I don't think everywhere is hiding as many deaths as America is.

Russia and Brazil almost certainly has similar undercounting of deaths as the US, probably much more so in Russia at the moment.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Taking the charts at face value, I'd assume the median age of new cases was shifting downwards as Europe achieves some measure of control while it runs rampant elsewhere. The median age of Europe is 42, North America 35, South America and Asia 31, and Africa 18.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

In Florida the Desantis administration called questions about the spike in FL pneumonia deaths over the last few months as part of the radical left plots.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Innocuous posted:

what's the trend on the overall positive test rate? i wonder if the expansion of testing is catching more mild cases whereas in March and early April you practically had to be hospitalized to get a test

i mean, yeah, the numbers are still heavily fudged and we are going to see a nightmarish spike in two weeks, but it's possible there's a reason the deaths haven't re-spiked *yet*
tbf this is likely a big part of it that even though cases steadily increasing or about the same, it might be just result of more wide-spread testing catching more varying levels of cases. i know when i had something very corona-esque (but mild) in early march, i couldn't get tested unless i was a) running a fever of 104.3f AND couldn't breath completely, b) have been in wuhan in the last 14 days (lmao), or c) rich and famous

testing now seems to be 'ok just come in and get one',. at least here in california because i could get one now easily but it's way too late.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Deaths lag cases, dont they? all the new cases Russia and Brazil are seeing now won't start turning to deaths for a week or two.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

if im drinking bud light at 103 someone had better kill me

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reddbrouw posted:

Hospitals are figuring out better action plans and achieving better outcomes.

lol no

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is beer allowed in hospital?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

a.lo posted:

is beer allowed in hospital?

Normally no, they do have vodka in the pharmacies however