Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'm not an android-haver because I'm poor

im an android-haver because I'm a dirty cheapskate
youre impoverished in spirit, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hifi posted:

an iphone you bought 5 years ago for $100 isn't really inspiring confidence in me. i'd rather have whatever motorola crap is out now, although i'd be the first to admit that motorola has taken a nose dive since google sold them.

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they also took a nose dive before google bought them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
motorola has been in an extended stuka dive since like 2007

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ok your affordable 5 year old iphone might be just fine but i'd rather have wahtever anroid garbage is newer and more expensive although i'd be the first to admit the manufacturer sucks

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
ya 5 years is pushing it, android is closer to a 3 year old iphone

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

ok your affordable 5 year old iphone might be just fine but i'd rather have wahtever anroid garbage is newer and more expensive although i'd be the first to admit the manufacturer sucks

an iphone you bought 5 years ago for $100 is like... 8 years old?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

infernal machines posted:

they also took a nose dive before google bought them

the motorola z? z force? whatever it was called with moto mods was the point where i'd probably get something else afterwards. does nokia make a verizon phone yet? for all the nerd indignation over copying a rounded rectangle or whatever it's not really a bad idea to try and imitate what the top is doing, and they stopped doing that and decided people wanted to be able to strap a projector to their phone instead.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I don稚 understand how anyone can use an original SE. I知 still rocking an 8, and it takes like a full minute of different load times to start a podcast in the native app.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

suits my needs

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

LibCrusher posted:

I don稚 understand how anyone can use an original SE. I知 still rocking an 8, and it takes like a full minute of different load times to start a podcast in the native app.

I use an SE and I don't have this problem. Battery life is not so great though (and also half of ios13 where they hosed up the memory management.)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

maybe it's because you're using a rock. have you tried daily driving it or pulling the trigger?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

LibCrusher posted:

podcast [...] native app.

think i found your problem

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/robinberjon/status/1266080350389837829

AMP heading to the google graveyard and good riddance

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thank loving god

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wheany posted:

https://twitter.com/robinberjon/status/1266080350389837829

AMP heading to the google graveyard and good riddance

AMP got me to switch to Bing lol

except now I have to open up Google whenever Bing gives me poo poo results. at least I知 earning gift card points?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

use ddg

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

my favorite part of DDG is how it's become habit for me now to add !g to get the good results

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

works for me, op

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LibCrusher posted:

I have a SE1 on 9 and one on 12 and the difference is astounding.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SRQ posted:

so the answer is that Apple is AMD in 2003 (and AMD now) smarter design vs "OUR ANDROID HAS EIGHT CORES AND 8GB OF RAM"

relatedly the whole low-clock quad core and high-clock dual core thing is a kind of mindblowing idea to see executed. Why Intel isn't doing this I have no idea.

it's probably not a simple thing to do while maintaining full compatibility and x86 is all about being able to run decades-old code

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's probably not a simple thing to do while maintaining full compatibility and x86 is all about being able to run decades-old code

why does a server chip need to support 16 bit real mode? is anyone running dos on their servers?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i would expect to see big/little implementations in laptops where battery life is a big deal. servers these days are all about running virtual machines and trying to juggle big and little cores between multiple VMs based on demand sounds like an even bigger pain in the butt.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
idk though. i'm talking out my rear end. maybe we can get an actual hardware dev in here to talk about this stuff.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i need to do a thread some day when I知 not sleep-deprived about the challenge of asymmetric multiprocessing. the short version is: scheduling is a hard problem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

leeoloo dallas multiprocess

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Management posted:

i need to do a thread some day when I’m not sleep-deprived about the challenge of asymmetric multiprocessing. the short version is: scheduling is a hard problem.

it's easier on a phone because you don't have the thermal budget to run the big cores so no-one really notices if you're not using them effectively

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1266943909499826176?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/vamsiexplores/status/1266945696336195584

:kiss:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

please explain to my dumb rear end what is happening in that image

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

please explain to my dumb rear end what is happening in that image

some unusual contrast value between two adjacent pixels probably fucks up a badly coded image handler, i知 guessing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

from the replies it sounds like the image uses a weird color space or encoding that android doesn't handle properly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/testsubjectname/status/1266979165225586688

apparently it only affects some phones, so maybe anything that has over saturated defaults pushes the value out of range

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

infernal machines posted:

apparently it only affects some phones, so maybe anything that has over saturated defaults pushes the value out of range

love that consistent android experience

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

EL BROMANCE posted:

love that consistent android experience
its called freedom of choice, you isheep

only android gives you the ability to decide if you want your phone to be bricked by a particular wallpaper or not

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CLAM DOWN posted:

That is unreal. I'm impressed, Android continues to impress me.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Other than that it works extremely well!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

klosterdev posted:

Other than that it works extremely well!

i知 still so immensely proud a quote i found years ago remains the thread title