Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Clear out any spider walls in your hellevators or you'll get respawning webs getting in the way, other than that I don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I just dig out a 2 block wide tunnel directly down. All I want from it is a quick drop to hell and that's all it takes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GodFish posted:

Thought I'd post all the places I built on Munki's cool Goonserver

Desert Town on the Oasis

Lighthouse at the Ocean

Underwater Dome

I ran out of space in the ocean so I built an Ocean in a dome in the sky above the underwater dome and then put the floating island biome dome in that dome.

Turned a floating island into a jungle

This screenshot kind of sucks but it's a chunk of mushroom biome attached to the bottom of a floating lake with chains. Good for fishing!

Graveyard Biome with a toggleable house for unique sales

These are all very cool, nice to see some real creativity in the thread.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Attestant posted:

I just dig out a 2 block wide tunnel directly down. All I want from it is a quick drop to hell and that's all it takes.

This is what I do, but I make small 4 bucket pools every so often at major points.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its trivial to get a horseshoe balloon and later wings so i dont bother with pools. a hook is good enough

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Cloud blocks negate fall damage now, so you can put them as a landing cushion.

Pink Slime blocks also negate fall damage, but you bounce off them.

Personally for my hellevators I like the glass tube aesthetic, with metal rings at each depth biome change (between surface and cavern, cavern and underground, underground and underworld).

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 1, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You can also just quickly double-jump once you're near the bottom with any of the wide range of accessories that give you that ability. It effectively cancels all your momentum and you get fall damage only as per normal for the height at which you did so.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I believe honey doesn't evaporate in the underworld like water does, either, so that's another option.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's not a single accessory that can handle any two of wings, sprinting, and fall damage both, right? So you have to do three slots for wings/fall damage/sprinting if you want all three without a mount?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's not a single accessory that can handle any two of wings, sprinting, and fall damage both, right? So you have to do three slots for wings/fall damage/sprinting if you want all three without a mount?

All wings negate fall damage by default. You do need a second slot for sprinting, however.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

All wings negate fall damage by default. You do need a second slot for sprinting, however.

Spectre boots and up give you sprinting and (very limited) flight, but not fall damage immunity.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BisbyWorl posted:

gently caress me, you're kidding, this balloon's only been a double jump I don't need for ages then?

Also, ice caverns trip report: I got a banner from the drat zombies and three Metal Detectors so far, along with six Depth Meters from clearing the other trash that spawns. No Compass yet.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i mean the balloon does increase flight time for wings so it’s not completely useless

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

watho posted:

i mean the balloon does increase flight time for wings so it’s not completely useless
Sure, but if the choices are "flight time up" and "+15% damage from an Emblem" or something, no choice there for any real use.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Avenger Emblem + Destroyer Emblem + Celestial Shell + Lightning Boots + Wings. Could probably ditch the boots if I had a good mount but I don't.
Replace Avenger Emblem with the appropriate one if you can be bothered.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sure, but if the choices are "flight time up" and "+15% damage from an Emblem" or something, no choice there for any real use.

i mean flight time helps you dodge so if your damage output is up to par it’s not the worst choice

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't like that the Yoyo Bag is a mandatory accessory for yoyos because I really like the yoyo combat style (it's kinda like ranged! but kinda like melee! and can go around walls and stuff) but it costing an accessory slot to feel "up to par" (and yes I know that slot is effectively a damage doubler) feels bad even if it's right.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

What are the conditions to spawn a sandstorm event? Some websites says wind and rain, others says wind and no rain, and there's no option to force spawn one with Journey mode.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
High winds speeds are definitely necessary, but not in the Windy Day event sense, just in the "it's really windy" sense. It's not a really a special event, it just kind of happens if the conditions are. If you dial up wind speed to max and then flip on the rain, it should happen after a while while you are on the surface of any desert biome.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I had one yesterday when it was just a windy day.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So apparently since the last time I played Calamity they locked the Burden Breaker (the awesome item that lets you cross the map at uncontrollable mach speeds) behind killing the dungeon guardian? that's pretty dumb. it's not like the item was remotely practical to use in boss fights or anything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Augus posted:

So apparently since the last time I played Calamity they locked the Burden Breaker (the awesome item that lets you cross the map at uncontrollable mach speeds) behind killing the dungeon guardian? that's pretty dumb. it's not like the item was remotely practical to use in boss fights or anything.
According to the wiki, it still drops from Skeletron Prime in Revengeance mode. Since you can toggle that on and off at will, I'm not really seeing the problem.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

According to the wiki, it's just meeting a certain wind threshold and waiting on the rng. I set the wind to max and waited about a day in the desert and one showed up.

Edit: I'm talking about sandstorms, obviously.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

According to the wiki, it still drops from Skeletron Prime in Revengeance mode. Since you can toggle that on and off at will, I'm not really seeing the problem.

It says you get it from beating enraged Skeletron Prime on Revengeance mode. As in, beating him during the daytime, which basically turns him into a dungeon guardian.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Is there an optimal "this person lives with this person in this biome" setup?

I have Dye Trader / Painter in a homemade desert biome
I have Dryad and Witch Doctor in homemade jungle biome
I have Mechanist / Goblin in homemade snow biome

My next is maybe a Hallow with Wizard / Nurse / Arms Dealer.

I basically want to make sure every vendor has at least a little of a discount. Also how much happiness do they need to ensure their full shop inventory?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Augus posted:

It says you get it from beating enraged Skeletron Prime on Revengeance mode. As in, beating him during the daytime, which basically turns him into a dungeon guardian.
Yeah, okay, that sounds like something I'd really rather just spawn in as well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LegoMan posted:

Also how much happiness do they need to ensure their full shop inventory?
Not counting the pylons, they can be maximum pissed off and they'll still sell everything they otherwise would in their location.

Some vendors have things they only sell in certain biomes for multiple biomes, so you'll need to shuffle them around if you want to buy everything.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

LegoMan posted:

I basically want to make sure every vendor has at least a little of a discount. Also how much happiness do they need to ensure their full shop inventory?
this made the rounds on reddit earlier

everyone will be happy but this will not also guarantee full inventories

watho
Aug 2, 2013

does goblin happiness affect reforge prices or is it just buying items?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Zereth posted:

Not counting the pylons, they can be maximum pissed off and they'll still sell everything they otherwise would in their location.

Some vendors have things they only sell in certain biomes for multiple biomes, so you'll need to shuffle them around if you want to buy everything.

Thanks, I associated happiness with inventory

Excelzior posted:

This is good I might do this and just shuffle things around when needed.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Excelzior posted:

While this is all correct, you can get an Ocean pylon much, much earlier by pairing the Angler with the Golfer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Big Mad Drongo posted:

While this is all correct, you can get an Ocean pylon much, much earlier by pairing the Angler with the Golfer.

Or rescue the Stylist and put her out there alone, then any two for activation.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Yeah I had trouble finding the stylist but already had the angler, but then since the housing was >25 tiles apart I had to books temporary closer housing for the golfer, buy the pylon, then move him back. Echoing what others have said, it's important to remember only one person needs to be really happy to but the pylon, and then they don't need to stay happy. Right now I've got the nurse in the ocean and the tavernkeep in the snow, I'll be moving both of them to the hallow once I get that built.

edit also a lot of the guides say to put the dryad with the shroomman but he apparently likes the guide better and gently caress it, who cares about the guide?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I totally forgot about it until now, but I still haven't found out how to even get the golfer. I'm past Plantera and have more than enough free room for every NPC in the game and then some, but he hasn't shown up yet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He's chilling in the underground desert, fwiw I happened to find him early and he was like my second npc.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

LegoMan posted:

There is no perfect setup. You're going to have to make sacrifices somewhere.

Personally I'm going with this since it generally offers decent discounts, has 3 NPCs per biome to enable the teleporter and stop mob spawns, and it gives maximum discount on the goblin for reforges:

Forest: Merchant/Golfer/Zoo
Underground: Mechanic/Goblin/Dye Trader
Desert: Arms Dealer/Guide/Nurse
Jungle: Witch Doctor/Dryad/Painter
Snow: Cyborg/Steampunker/Tax Collector
Ocean: Pirate/Angler/Stylist
Mushroom: Truffle/Clothier/Demolitionist
Hallow: Wizard/Tavernkeep/Party Girl

You can also get weird with dual biomes like Underground Hallow and poo poo but that's too complicated for my small brain to bother dealing with.

Also worth noting that you can get a pylon even if the NPCs aren't happy enough to sell it by temporarily shuffling people around. Just give one NPC everything s/he wants in any given biome for 1 minute and you can buy the pylon, place it, and put everyone back in their normal spots.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that would explain it. I hate the underground desert, it's a pain to navigate and I never go there except when I'm looking for something specific. It's my least favourite biome. Thank you.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, that would explain it. I hate the underground desert, it's a pain to navigate and I never go there except when I'm looking for something specific. It's my least favourite biome. Thank you.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of the noises the bugs make or the giant flying antlions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

Agreed, I'm not a fan of the noises the bugs make or the giant flying antlions.
To me it's more how it's cramped, has no interested visual or environmental features, and everything is closed off so you can't get anywhere without digging for it. One of the most fun things in the game for me is when you find a huge, deep cave system right at the beginning and spend the next few hours slowly exploring it and mapping it out while building up your toolset to make navigating the drops and cliffs easier. Feels like an adventure every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Why do rolling cactus even exist except to make that place more of a slog anyways?

"Why was I stopping to hang on ceilings and shoot every cactus I see that could even potentially roll my way? The enemies only deal 1-10 damage to me right now"
*Rolling cactus deals 100+ damage*
"...Back to slow slog it is!"