Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jcam posted:

I was just coming to ask the same thing, was considering getting in on that Kickstarter as a way to weasel my way into a core box as well since it's hard to find. Is Nemesis good?

I'm just going to paste my posts from the bg thread.

GrandpaPants posted:

I've only had the one game of Nemesis and enjoyed it, but I swear that jumping into an escape pod felt like the end of Talisman for how random it is.

GrandpaPants posted:

Someone's victory condition was to escape on an escape pod, and he opened the escape pod access by initiating the self destruct mechanism. This conflicted with my otherwise easy condition of "get the ship back to earth", so I had to go for my secondary condition of "be the only survivor". What ensued was an admittedly hilarious scramble for the escape pods, multiple characters loving it up by making too much noise and attracting aliens, followed by me strolling behind them and making my 40 percent roll to be the only one to escape.

Good story that I'm sure will be remembered in the group, but it still felt very Talismany to have so much riding on a single die roll.

GrandpaPants posted:

So we played another game of Nemesis (second overall) and I think the competitive co-op mode is flawed. Unlike most other games of this type, you're given two possible objectives that you choose when you see the first alien. This can happen like, immediately or some rounds in, but it will happen. But that's sort of the thing, unless you get two "hostile" (e.g., kill a player/do something actively harmful) objectives, you generally have to choose to be the jerkass who turns the game into a competitive game. There is literally no reason for someone to make the other players the enemy aside from, frighteningly, "for the lulz." It is a game state that appeals to the worst kind of gamer, the ones that like to ruin other people's experiences just because they can. It's up to you as to whether or not these sorts of experiences make for the best stories and experiences, but I'm sure it varies from day to day with me. On the other hand, without the chance of being competitive, I don't think the game is particularly difficult, but I imagine circumstances can go very bad very quickly, especially when the ship is just full of noise tokens.

That being said, I was the rear end in a top hat that game because one player died, which caused a hell of a cascade of poo poo, and then the other two character went into hibernation. I was alone on a ship with a breeder, a queen, and two adults, with only a Shotgun and Prototype Shotgun. Luckily, I used a Space Suit to Space Walk to the other side of the ship, where the alien player couldn't catch me, then on my way to the escape pod, changed the coordinates so that the ship went to Deep Space, instead of Earth, which "kills" the two characters in hibernation. I then got into an escape pod and escaped with two middle fingers at that corpse mobile of a ship.

GrandpaPants posted:

Nemesis game #3 and it's sort of getting really stale. My suspicion about people being lol wacky with the "kill a player" objective has been mostly correct; it puts the choice in the worst type of player's hands to be as much of a dick as they can, much to the detriment of the game. Like the game is actually pretty drat easy if everyone works together and pretty drat hard if like, people start conflicting with each other, so it becomes this variable difficulty that's not even really a prisoner's dilemma sort of situation, since it's not like putting false trust in another player is generally a bad thing. I find that the objectives themselves are very boring and, besides the ones that involve killing other players, do very little to raise any sort of intrigue. Nobody has ever really suspected me of anything when I send a signal because there's nothing to suspect. I suppose a more clever player can use that as a sort of bluff, but you're so action starved in this game that it's not really worth it to be clever. The game mechanics just do nothing to increase intrigue, and then the game sort of just becomes a game of managing whack a mole. The stories that the game has generated thus far have been fun, but the game itself is sort of meh. Better than Dead of Winter, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Those are fair takes and probably more accurate to the average player. My group that plays it revels in their petty dickery and I'm happy to tag along because I'm a sucker for semi-coop that lets me play different characters each time as evidenced by my being in almost every mmo thread at one time or another.

I will say the add ons aren't really needed unless you already really enjoy the game. Most of our playthroughs have been vanilla with the extra characters from Aftermath. The Aftermath scenario itself requires playing two games in a row which we'd rather move on to a different game if we have that long to play. Carnomorphs and Void Seeders just slightly change up the alien mechanics and how you interact with them, whether corruption (that clutters your hand with useless cards), insanity/panic, and I think Carnomorph is some kind of mutation mechanic.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 28, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Holy poo poo, Nemesis Lockdown is already over £1.1 million an hour after launching (their goal was £40k).

And seemed to have crashed Kickstarter in the first few minutes.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I only played Nemesis once but hated it enough from that one play that I never want to play it again. It has so many layers of RNG that can gently caress you in completely un-fun ways. Most of the difficulty in the game felt like it was in the form of mechanics that slow the players down and limit their options - enemies that you either have to spend most of your turn to try and kill, or take attrition damage getting away from them, conditions that make enemies more likely to spawn on you unless you spend moves and actions to clear them, and the chance that the rooms you need to do stuff just happened to be on the other side of the ship so spending half your actions just running back and forth. On top of that the play time seems insanely long - after a three hour four - player game, most of us would have required at least another hour or two to complete our objectives. There's not that many games that give me such an intensely negative reaction on the first play but this one stuck with me.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Just to add to what Grandpapants said above, the main reason I could see for choosing the pvp objectives would be that you can end the game substantially faster. In our game it seemed like the pve objectives all require you to just wait for the clock to run down so the ship jumps to hyperspace, which is a LOT of turns, and by the end I was wishing I'd chosen the 'kill another player' objective so I could get them killed, jump in an escape pod and be done with it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I looked at the all-in level, saw it would be $410 Canadian before tax or shipping and then noped right on outta there. $500 for a boardgame is too much even for me. And I normally don't mind board games being a bit expensive! Just shy of $200 for Frosthaven? Sure, ok. $500? Crazy

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jimbozig posted:

I looked at the all-in level, saw it would be $410 Canadian before tax or shipping and then noped right on outta there. $500 for a boardgame is too much even for me. And I normally don't mind board games being a bit expensive! Just shy of $200 for Frosthaven? Sure, ok. $500? Crazy

To be fair, the all-in gives you two board games and all the expansions. But yeah, it’s still a chunk of change.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just rerelease Space Hulk :v:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drat, this thread is killing the hype. I missed out the first time so i'll probably buy it all, I just love the theme

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

SU&SD sort of really liked it, but it can suffer from being dicked over completely by other players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbEBrWjWzY

That said, it’s a very pricey game (£95 for the base Lockdown game is way too much), and all the other bits have way too much Stuff.

Yeah, I think they sum up my thoughts wishing for a small box version of this

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Does Nemesis and expansions, blah blah, have a true co-op mode? I and my group cannot abide the semi-co-op games. Also, if true co-op, how difficult is the game... like Ghost Stories difficult, or Pandemic difficult?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I backed the standalone expansion. Seems cool enough and they're adding a solo mode with a game master app, so I can claim it on my taxes as a business expense as a researcher, and at least get some of my money back :v:

When the pledge manager opens, I might also get an addon or one from the original game. Any recommendations?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'd never heard of Nemesis before, but it looks really appealing for my group. For better or worse, we all still love playing Betrayal and it always makes it's way to the table a few times a year when we do group vacations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

yegods posted:

Does Nemesis and expansions, blah blah, have a true co-op mode? I and my group cannot abide the semi-co-op games. Also, if true co-op, how difficult is the game... like Ghost Stories difficult, or Pandemic difficult?

From the FAQ on the original project:

quote:

Solo mode will be you controlling 1 character. AI will not control other characters.
- Coop mode will also be playable as solo.
- Comic book scripts will be used in Coop mode.
- Coop mode will use additional stretch goal and expansion content. We will try to use this content for campaign as well.
- Solo works within normal rules pretty well. Co-op also is done to some point (but in draft way and in Polish). We will look to enhance both of them thou ;)

So it sounds like, yup. Also there is an addon, Untold Stories #1, that is a branching full-coop story campaign in comic book format.

(To be clear, a full coop mode was one of the stretch goals hit, so it's definitely full coop we're talking about there, not the standard semi-coop. There's another comic addon that does stuff with the semi-coop, though.)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If you want true coop in current Nemesis and expansions, you can disclose your goals and make sure none of them conflict. Avoid the corporate goals since many of them are eliminate player X or be the sole survivor. The other goals can conflict like player 1 will need to get to Earth and player 2 will need to get to Mars. But I'd just shuffle one back in and pick a different one. So your team goals might be send the signal, retrieve an egg, research two weaknesses, and get safely to Earth. Or someone can eject in an escape pod while the rest head to Earth. There are cards whose sole use is in PvP like the one to shut down an action a player in your room does, but you can just discard those cards to use an item or move. And there's a lot of coop friendly cards like escaping a monster scot free while bringing along someone else from the room, letting everyone in the room draw an extra card, or the KS exclusive/addon Medic class healing people's injuries.

It's very difficult to get everyone out alive because its nearly impossible to completely avoid or kill all the aliens, but when we play non-competitive we usually count it a victory if we achieve our personal goals and at least one person survives. Like with four players one person can head to the cockpit, two to the engines, and one can carefully explore the rooms off the main paths. By the end there's usually someone pretty screwed who will try to sacrifice themselves for the others to get out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just wish this expansion wasn’t so pricey. £95 for a board game is robbery, even if there are some miniatures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

£95 for miniatures on the other hand is extremely typical.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

£95 for miniatures on the other hand is extremely typical.

Luckily most board gamers are dumb enough to fall for this every time. Myself included. So many games in my collection that I got partly on the strength of the minis being cool, that never see the table more than a time or two.

I only back rpgs now for the most part. If a cool board game doesn't have a retail release, gently caress it.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
gently caress, I was going to buy no more games this year. But I can’t pass up on a chance to grab Nemesis. I really enjoy most things Awaken Realms has put out. They are definitely pricey but generally well above everyone else in Theme and component quality.

That will make three outstanding Awaken Realms kickstarters that I have backed...

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I just wish this expansion wasn’t so pricey. £95 for a board game is robbery, even if there are some miniatures.

If this goes down like the first, the stretch goals box will be a sizable expansion on its own. That said, Awaken Realms games are also pretty drat expensive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Luckily most board gamers are dumb enough to fall for this every time. Myself included. So many games in my collection that I got partly on the strength of the minis being cool, that never see the table more than a time or two.

I only back rpgs now for the most part. If a cool board game doesn't have a retail release, gently caress it.

Most of my purchases these days are "am I willing to shlep this across town on a bus, or 200 miles to play with my mom?" Azul's my biggest as a result and the rest is stuff like Codenames or Fox in the Forest that I can just stick in a pocket.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Uhh yeah I totally don't have a massive pile of unpainted Cthulhu: Death May Die miniatures, Hellboy miniatures, Zombicide miniatures and god knows what else gathering dust on my boardgame shelves.

Well, that's a bit of a lie: I did paint most of the Zombicide Black Plague set, but it's never been played. I played a bunch of Hellboy stuff, but again -- never been played. Cthulhu: Death May Die? Well I unwrapped the box and looked at the miniatures, does that count?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I have backed one mini heavy Kickstarter (the mantic thing that was meant to be a heroquest knock-off) and it makes me angry whenever I see the box in the attic

I think my plan is at some point when the kids are a bit older I'll print up a few decks of cards and make a simple dungeon crawler / exploration game out of the parts

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I usually avoid minis heavy games, but the IDW Ninja Turtles and Batman games got me since I like the system and setting.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Der Shovel posted:

Uhh yeah I totally don't have a massive pile of unpainted Cthulhu: Death May Die miniatures, Hellboy miniatures, Zombicide miniatures and god knows what else gathering dust on my boardgame shelves.

Well, that's a bit of a lie: I did paint most of the Zombicide Black Plague set, but it's never been played. I played a bunch of Hellboy stuff, but again -- never been played. Cthulhu: Death May Die? Well I unwrapped the box and looked at the miniatures, does that count?

I'm in the same boat. Honestly at this point I think I should consider trying to win the lottery and then seeing if someone will do a massive discount on asking them to paint for the next year on all the minis I own :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I believe Merchants of the Dark Road KS starts tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGbXJqnHEEI

I really really like the 'Your winnning score is the lowest of your Prestige or Money' concept.
Just not sure if I like the rest of the package, but I'll be curious to see some full gameplay vids to see if there's more to it than spinning plates.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I really really like the 'Your winnning score is the lowest of your Prestige or Money' concept.
Just not sure if I like the rest of the package, but I'll be curious to see some full gameplay vids to see if there's more to it than spinning plates.
It sounds interesting but the board seems super ugly

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That was my other concern. It just looks extremely 'busy' as well.

Still very much want to see if in action if possible. I'll be curious if the systems are interesting in action, or if they're just busywork to prolong the game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Something about this just made me laugh. CMON has a new KS...for comics, but don't worry, there's still Kickstarter Exclusive™ gameplay elements!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/cmon-comics-volume-1

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Man, I wouldn't trust comics based on game properties to be good in general, but I especially can't imagine who was craving stories set in the rich thematic worlds of "I dunno, zombies man", "shooting tentacle monsters" and "I guess zombies in space now".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And they've also got small games tied to graphic novels as additional add-ons? Man, CMON is crazy like a fox.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

That main board is kinda yikes but I do like the design of the wagon player boards. I'm going to give this one a look too, for some reason shop/merchant games always get me interested.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

malkav11 posted:

Man, I wouldn't trust comics based on game properties to be good in general, but I especially can't imagine who was craving stories set in the rich thematic worlds of "I dunno, zombies man", "shooting tentacle monsters" and "I guess zombies in space now".

Seriously, I have no idea who this is for but it looks like they're going to top 300k, so someone, apparently. I will say every mini extravaganza kickstarter campaign I've followed has had a crowd of people saying some variant of "if I can't have all of it I don't want any of it".

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Anyone else considering "Alice is Missing?"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/huntersbooks/alice-is-missing-a-silent-role-playing-game

quote:

From the creative mind behind Icarus: A Storytelling Game About How Great Civilizations Fall, comes Spenser Starke’s next project Alice is Missing, a silent role-playing game about the disappearance of Alice Briarwood, a high school junior in the small town of Silent Falls.

Developed by Hunters Entertainment and published & distributed by Renegade Game Studios, Alice Is Missing is a unique kind of roleplaying game in which players only communicate using their phones, sending text messages to each other as they unearth clues about what happened to Alice.

This gimmick seems really immersive and clever.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

As someone with enormous sausage fingers, the idea sounds neat but there's no way you'd get me to play. It'd take me six times as long to type as everyone else, which means either one-sixth the agency or one-sixth the game speed. Neither seems fun.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I hadn't heard of it but backed solely on the strength of the premise alone. It's like a murder mystery by text.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Spookyelectric posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/huntersbooks/alice-is-missing-a-silent-role-playing-game

I have been considering it, it appears this would allow me to play with people who live in different areas, I need to watch the play throughs this evening.

Plus text messages allow play during around work meetings

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

That looks great, backed immediately.

Hmm, I wonder if I could run it as an Americana mash-up...

Edit: by which I mean it's basically the same except some people play cool skeletons

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Spookyelectric posted:

If nothing else, this is a really kickass post rock playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVqtEH6kWUY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Spookyelectric posted:

That seems really inventive and clever. I mean, the text message thing seems like a neat gimmick by itself, but the rest of it actually looks really well thought out and complementary to the texting part.

Seems like a neat online play idea too.