Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

High Protein posted:

The KTM toolkit comes with a bottle opener so you can drink a cold one waiting for your tow.
Also, indeed, no place to fit it on the 690/701.

Under the front left body panel. There is a storage slot for the proper torx key under the seat to access that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So long, my big gay purple motorcycle.

Thanks to Slavvy for the photography tips, I'm sure that helped drum up interest.

I discovered the secret of a hassle free sale is to completely ignore any enquiries that start by asking what the "best cash price" is. I only bothered to respond to people asking to see it.

Sold to a guy who asked for a look, turned up, watched me cold start it and roll it down the driveway. Didn't even test ride. Guy made an offer and came back with cash and his wife later and bought it and left. Total amount of time spent, maybe 10 minutes. Not bad for a Facebook transaction.

So long Suzuki, you were powerful and reliable, but fat and a little bland.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Brigdh posted:

Under the front left body panel. There is a storage slot for the proper torx key under the seat to access that area.

Oh you're right, that's true. I added a small tail bag and removed that storage compartment.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

I discovered the secret of a hassle free sale is to completely ignore any enquiries that start by asking what the "best cash price" is. I only bothered to respond to people asking to see it.

Sold to a guy who asked for a look, turned up, watched me cold start it and roll it down the driveway. Didn't even test ride. Guy made an offer and came back with cash and his wife later and bought it and left. Total amount of time spent, maybe 10 minutes. Not bad for a Facebook transaction.

Excellent tips and that is the ideal sale.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a Suzuki, as long as you see it start you can be sure it’s fine.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm just never going to sell any bike I buy so I don't have to deal with the mouthbreathers

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm just never going to sell any bike I buy so I don't have to deal with the mouthbreathers

The chicheviche style of Motorcycle ownership.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I sold my old transalp to a retired biker couple that showed up in a sidecar bike. She(a former car mechanic) wanted an non kick start bike as her hip was getting bad, she had an operation scheduled. I wanna be as cool as those where when I'm old.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
How bad of an idea is a 2004 Victory Kingpin for a first bike ? It’s very clean and I like the looks, but (on paper anyway) it’s size, weight and power make sound it a bit intimidating, I’m going to go look at this one today but don’t intend to buy without looking at more

Other options I’m considering are a 2003 Triumph with 6,700 miles and a 2005 1200 Roadster with 13k miles

Growing up, I rode dirt bikes and atvs so I have some idea of the mechanics, but that’s been a long time ago. I’m also not in a big rush but it would be nice to get started

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dr.Caligari posted:

How bad of an idea is a 2004 Victory Kingpin for a first bike ? It’s very clean and I like the looks, but (on paper anyway) it’s size, weight and power make sound it a bit intimidating, I’m going to go look at this one today but don’t intend to buy without looking at more

Other options I’m considering are a 2003 Triumph with 6,700 miles and a 2005 1200 Roadster with 13k miles

Growing up, I rode dirt bikes and atvs so I have some idea of the mechanics, but that’s been a long time ago. I’m also not in a big rush but it would be nice to get started

A 2003 Triumph what?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yeah nah, way way too big and heavy to learn on by far. Victories are also really poorly built, they're like a Harley by Hyosung.

It doesn't really matter what kind of triumph because they don't make a learner bike worth a drat either, unless you get a fairly old Bonneville with the tame ~800cc engine. These are manageable in old-timey skinny tyre format, not so much in big fat cruiser format like you seem to want.

By roadster I assume you mean a sportster, which is probably fine if you get an 883, albeit too large and heavy, a 1200 is like 100hp and really way too much.

There are people who will try to explain this better and nicer but it boils down to this: aim lower. Much lower. Your first bike isn't your last bike and all those are much too big and heavy. Think more rebel 500, Vulcan 650, shadow 750, intruder 250, that sort of thing.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Sportster 1200 is like 75 hp. Buell with the same engine was 100 due to a less-retarded intake/exhaust design.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

$6k for a local 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring Edition, with 17k miles.

I don't know anything about these bikes. Thoughts?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Bananana posted:

$6k for a local 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring Edition, with 17k miles.

I don't know anything about these bikes. Thoughts?

The Pikes Peak record holder for bikes was a multistrada for a while.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Can it go underwater?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Can it shoot missiles?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Look, I'm just asking the hard hitting questions here.

Lol, no, but really, has anyone here got any knowledge of or experience with the bike? Or a good reference source for seeing if there are any known issues or defects or drawbacks from the make and model?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean, any bike can go underwater if you think about it :hmmyes:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I own a 2014, which has a few revisions from the 2010.

The motor is loving riot - I absolutely love it - but will cook your balls on a hot day stuck in traffic. The stock seat isn't super comfortable. The side bags may not be entirely water tight (there was a recall for them).Only issue I've had with mine, but it has happened repeatedly, is the fuel level sender failing because it doesn't like ethanol fuel. Mine's on its third. It's a $130 part - Ducati is on revision E or something.

If it's at 17k miles make sure its had the 15k service, which involves replacing the timing belts and costs $1k-ish at a dealer.

$6K for a 2010 sounds slightly high, but that depends on where you're located. Check ADVrider's classifieds forum, there have been a few slightly newer models with similar mileage going for $6-8k.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

something something, Ducati and tuning fork wizardry

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ducati cambelts are so trivially easy to do, I can only think the myth that they're difficult or perilous somehow is propagated by Ducati dealers themselves. On the desmodue you can do it in literally fifteen minutes, the 4v is more involved but still easier than any car I've ever done it on, and much easier than say clearances on an i4.

Forking out the $300 for a $30 set of gates belts is the hardest part.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What? The Goldwing belts are gates and are $7 a piece from amazon lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You used to be able to buy generic non-Ducati-branded gates ones, but then Ducati demanded gates stop selling them in order to close this back door, so now they're NLA and you have to spend hundreds.

If you know of an alternative that isn't the lovely cycleworks ones, gimme gimme.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Brigdh posted:

The Laverda Formula had a tool kit consisting of 1 (one) hex key, in a little cutout on top of the fuel tank (under the pillion seat). This was also included on the S version, which had Dzus fasteners on the fairing, and therefore the key didn't fit a single bolt anywhere on the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Laverda Formula had a tool kit consisting of 1 (one) hex key, in a little cutout on top of the fuel tank (under the pillion seat). This was also included on the S version, which had Dzus fasteners on the fairing, and therefore the key didn't fit a single bolt anywhere on the bike.

The Aprilia rsv4rs also comes with 1 (one) hex key and it, too, doesn't fit anything on the bike except the seat screws, which allows access to the battery, which has terminals that use Phillips screws.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The Aprilia rsv4rs also comes with 1 (one) hex key and it, too, doesn't fit anything on the bike except the seat screws, which allows access to the battery, which has terminals that use Phillips screws.

This feels like there's some kind of law requiring them to have a tool kit on the bike, and the Italians are being Italian about it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone have any thoughts on the various 200/250 cc Dual Sports?

I'm considering them over the DR650 both because I've never ridden off road and don't really need the need or desire to ride on the highway / above ~65 mph. While I’ve watched the youtube videos of the Australians that mod the DR650, and I do believe it’s a fantastic “adventure” bike, I've also seen multiple reviews of smaller dual sports which mention how easy they are ride off road, how they feel like "cheating" or "easy mode" compared to larger bikes, and for someone that's going to be riding in the dirt  for the first time that sounds exactly like what I need. I mean, just looking at the weights, the DR 200 is only 278 lbs whereas the DR 650 is about a hundred pounds more. For someone like me, who went onto the interstate for more than 20 minutes less than a half dozen times in the previous 5 years, and who currently rides a 30hp bike without complaint, these smaller dual sports seem like they’d give me as easy an introduction to off road riding as possible without causing me much pain on the streets. Although, I am a little concerned about the ability to both mount and saddlebags and ride two-up at the same time; some of the lug rages I’ve seen look they’d mount the bags in the way of the footpegs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on buying one of these smaller dual sports over a DR400 or DR650? Any models in particular you'd recommend? Availability of aftermarket mods like saddlebags and racks is very important to me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm considering them over the DR650 both because I've never ridden off road and don't really need the need or desire to ride on the highway / above ~65 mph. While I’ve watched the youtube videos of the Australians that mod the DR650, and I do believe it’s a fantastic “adventure” bike, I've also seen multiple reviews of smaller dual sports which mention how easy they are ride off road, how they feel like "cheating" or "easy mode" compared to larger bikes, and for someone that's going to be riding in the dirt  for the first time that sounds exactly like what I need. I mean, just looking at the weights, the DR 200 is only 278 lbs whereas the DR 650 is about a hundred pounds more. For someone like me, who went onto the interstate for more than 20 minutes less than a half dozen times in the previous 5 years, and who currently rides a 30hp bike without complaint, these smaller dual sports seem like they’d give me as easy an introduction to off road riding as possible without causing me much pain on the streets. Although, I am a little concerned about the ability to both mount and saddlebags and ride two-up at the same time; some of the lug rages I’ve seen look they’d mount the bags in the way of the footpegs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on buying one of these smaller dual sports over a DR400 or DR650? Any models in particular you'd recommend? Availability of aftermarket mods like saddlebags and racks is very important to me.

What all do you want to do with the bike?

Unrelated, another man with a vision. https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/d/forestburgh-1998-suzuki-dr350se-big/7130714296.html

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

unless you're a small vietnamese person I would not recommend riding two up on a 200/250 with soft bags. subframe is likely not meant for 2 american sized persons AND luggage. plus you're just going to be horribly uncomfortable riding two up on a 250 dual sport

I think you're on the right track though, everything's a compromise so I'd just keep it in mind. I'd say if your use case was dualsporting to some single track somewhat near where you start while using some soft bags like a mosko R40 or something you're going to have a great time. deviating much from that plan (long interstate travel, 2up + luggage) will not be as fun

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The two people together would be less than 300 lbs so it's more the geometry of mounting the bags with a passenger, but yeah it is a concern.

I like small bikes, and I haven't owned one yet that was top small, so I'd like to try. Ryan from Fortnine recommends the KLX250, and he seems to generally know what he's talking about.

Edit: I'm not discounting the difficulty of going two up with luggage on a bike with 18 hp, or the very real limits of what a suspension is made for; it's more that's I'm lazy and don't want to take my (empty) bags off when I ride 2 up.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 1, 2020

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

The short answer is that we love them. You really can't go wrong with any of the 250cc dual sports from Yamaha, Honda, or Kawasaki, they all have their advantages and disadvantages. The WR250 R is widely considered "the best", it makes the most power but is also the most expensive by a good amount. However I find mine pretty miserable on any trip longer than about 75 miles. The combination of a narrow stock seat, exhaust noise, tire thrum, and being blown around by wind gets on your nerves pretty quickly.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I loved my wr250x, and still regret selling it. If you wanted a 250 dual sport, the r or x is the one to get. 31 HP derestricted, too.

It was miserable on the highway, and the tank is a thimble. If I did it again I'd get a parabellum rally screen and a bigger tank, for sure. Seat was ok, but seat concepts is always a nice choice.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
If you have an hour or two to spare, here is an excellent video about dualsports by EverRide:

https://youtu.be/XXYGz_StXgA

It's a long statistical analysis about dualsports, comparing off-road Vs on-road capability against affordability and so on. Worth a watch

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! I’ve got a real bug to try off-road dualsport once the plague is done so I’ve been inhaling dualsport content on YT.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

The two people together would be less than 300 lbs so it's more the geometry of mounting the bags with a passenger, but yeah it is a concern.

I like small bikes, and I haven't owned one yet that was top small, so I'd like to try. Ryan from Fortnine recommends the KLX250, and he seems to generally know what he's talking about.

Edit: I'm not discounting the difficulty of going two up with luggage on a bike with 18 hp, or the very real limits of what a suspension is made for; it's more that's I'm lazy and don't want to take my (empty) bags off when I ride 2 up.

I really hate the older carbureted KLX250. My friend used to have one and one of the worst motorcycle experiences of my life was riding with a passenger on said KLX250. We're probably 320 lbs between the two of us and man that thing was loving miserable lugging us around.

My buddy's WR250R was waaay better, but maybe the EFI KLX250 is less of a dog.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shelvocke posted:

If you have an hour or two to spare, here is an excellent video about dualsports by EverRide:

https://youtu.be/XXYGz_StXgA

It's a long statistical analysis about dualsports, comparing off-road Vs on-road capability against affordability and so on. Worth a watch

This was fantastic, thank you. I'm sort of settling on the idea that a dr650 would be a great choice IF I was already comfortable off road, but a 250 will be a better choice to start with. So, I think I'll keep an eye out for a used KLR 250 (efi) or a Yamaha xt250, and ride that for a year, then maybe move on to a dr650 later. And I could still keep the 250 around because maybe, finally, I could actually convince a friend to ride a little if I transported the 250 to a trail.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

This was fantastic, thank you. I'm sort of settling on the idea that a dr650 would be a great choice IF I was already comfortable off road, but a 250 will be a better choice to start with. So, I think I'll keep an eye out for a used KLR 250 (efi) or a Yamaha xt250, and ride that for a year, then maybe move on to a dr650 later. And I could still keep the 250 around because maybe, finally, I could actually convince a friend to ride a little if I transported the 250 to a trail.

I sold my ninja 650 and stopped riding for a few years, then bought an xt250 last summer and have really enjoyed it. It's at the top of it's range on a freeway and gets blown around a lot at that speed, but anything 50mph or lower and it's great. I'm probably going to pick up a larger road bike in the future, but I'm keeping the 250 as a trail bike.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

I’ve been at work for 48 of the last 72 hours or something crazy. Does he elaborate any on what this pile of garbage is in the video? It’s making me miss a dual sport.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He rides it, if it's his DR650 With aftermarket tank, which I think it is.
There's a time stamp about him on a Dr650 and...I think his friend is on a ... ktm 990??(idks about ktm) and its them working big bikes through a single track and talking out a conclusion to the video.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Do you guys have any advice on buying a new bike from a dealer with cash/credit card? I'm looking at getting a 2020 Kawasaki KLX 230 non ABS. I'm wondering if I just hit the request quote on various dealer's websites and ask what their out the door price is. There's also a $500 factory rebate right now but I'm not sure if that goes into the final sale price or if you get it after the sale.