Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Remora posted:

Hey ya'll. I was thinking about picking this up again, I quit midway through a playthrough because I got tired of losing characters I liked to random headshots and always being wildly outnumbered all the time on missions. Is there, like, anything I can do about that stuff, or is that just... the game, and it's not for me?

Unfortunately yes, that's just the game. You're always going to be outnumbered and outgunned and sometimes pilots die due to bullshit. You can get around those with mods but that might be more effort than you might be willing to put in.

Heck, the game itself is actually incredibly easy to fiddle with if you know where to look. A lot of the game settings for the vanilla, non-dlc content are all in plaintext .jsons and it's actually not difficult to change things like the mortality rate of your pilots. You can even make it harder for yourself if you wanted. But then again, that requires being inclined to actually bother with that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you were losing pilots with any real degree of frequency you were probably just Doing It Wrong. I've run through multiple careers without ever losing one at all- headshot chances aren't that high, but with the addition of good bulwark and cover use, you also get rid of any one shots.

There's also mods to reduce pilot injuries though, one of them eliminates pilot hits from weapons due unless the weapon does at least 25 (for example, the value is adjustable) damage.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, constant pilot death shouldn't really be a thing in BT once you get the hang of it. The random AC20 decapitation is possible but I think I had that happen to me like once total.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Remora posted:

Hey ya'll. I was thinking about picking this up again, I quit midway through a playthrough because I got tired of losing characters I liked to random headshots and always being wildly outnumbered all the time on missions. Is there, like, anything I can do about that stuff, or is that just... the game, and it's not for me?

Use the Bigger Drops mod for a second lance, which evens the odds a fair bit. Also Mission Control will introduce allied lances (with lovely pathfinding, but supposedly this week's update fixed it and I haven't downloaded it to check yet)

As for not losing folks....well there is a "restart mission" button on the menu

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I got pretty unlucky with a Warhammer that ate like 3 pilots, it always happened really late in the mission where I had basically achieved something great or gotten through with minimal damage or pulled some other bullshit that I didn't want to reload for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you’re losing lots of pilots, the most likely reason is that you haven’t recognized that Bulwark is the best skill in the game and literally everyone should have it ASAP and make use of it basically always.

I would rather have a 2/2/5/2 than a 5/5/2/5.

Edit: Also, strip some weapons and tank up, the default mech builds are sometimes woefully underarmored.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Also, recognize that Infernos are that weapon Most Holy. Shut their best Mech down instantly (with a couple of them) and keep it out of the fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had to hose out like four pilots from my Banshee in a row because it would consistently punch an arm instead of torso then get its head kicked off in response lmao

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Things that kill pilots:

AC20 to the head
Getting punched in the head by a 50+ tonner

Solutions:

Bulwark
Don't get within melee striking distance of anything you won't kill before it gets a turn

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Stacking things like the marauders DR, trees, and bulwark will improve your chances of surviving a random shot to the dome. Does the hit defense on the gyro mean melee hit or hit defense in general? After losing a ton of pilots to random fists and feet i was thinking about putting them in every mech.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
generic hit defense is for weapons fire. iirc there are specific melee gyros/melee defense from piloting skill, but that might be mod introduced.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I went full ham with the Infernos and got a Longbow (the 4/6 movement variant), loaded it up with 8 infernos and a pilot with multi-targeting, and the feeling of taking 3 Mechs out of the fight (for a turn) at once was veryyyyy satisfying.

None of them shut down after being hit by 2 Infernos, but they usually do kill their turn dropping heat and not firing.

In general, I've had better luck so far with the Crusader 4L, the Liao variant with jump jets. 4 infernos, max armor, jump jets, a +60 melee Arm of Popeye actuator boost, and a large laser++ for something to do until you get in range.

In urban maps, they're absolutely lethal. On wide open maps, you're hauling wide rear end open to close the distance to firing range, and sometimes it gets harrowing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

In Battletech tabletop are there any heavy mechs with abnormally small engines to make baby slow assaults?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

sean10mm posted:

In Battletech tabletop are there any heavy mechs with abnormally small engines to make baby slow assaults?

The only 2/3 Mech I remember besides 100 tonners like the Annihilator would be the Urbie.

Wasn't the Mackie supposed to be poo poo slow?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I took my all Stalker lance to a clan ghost bear world

That was a mistake. There's so many and they all go first and you can't hit them holy poo poo lol

Also I still can't afford the black market stop showing up one day after payday argh

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 1, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sean10mm posted:

There's very few, and they frequently involve primitve tech:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bombard a 2/3 medium with either dual AC20s or dual Thunderbolt 15s

There's a Catapult -K4, with two heavy PPCs and two ERMLs, a couple crusader variants.

Probably the most well known slow as hell heavy is the Rifleman IIC, a 3/5/3 mech with quad cLPLs and a pile of really good variants.
Inner sphere wise there's also the Hammerhands, a 75 ton Warhammer styled mech with a bunch of variants typically featuring a heavy AC in each arm with some laser backup.

There's also a couple slow Jihad era Marauders.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

SRM24 pault is pretty amazing on rear shots, it will one shot most heavies with a volley to the rear arc. I wanna see if i can add some infernos to it though i don't like their limited ammo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cheers, thanks a lot.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I picked up the base game and Flashpoint in a Humble Bundle a while back. I've been playing the campaign for a bit and just now found this thread. I think my guys are hosed now. I leveled too much with lights and mediums on lunar planets so they've all gone Gunnery and Piloting. I was using multi target to strip evasion on lights. Only Behemoth has Bulwark since I wasn't seeing many trees. Now I'm trying to decide if I should start from scratch, or try and muddle through. I suppose I could fire them all and hire some newbies, but I'd have a hard time letting go the starting team. Tough choices. Maybe I'll just wait for the summer sale to pick up DLC and then reroll the whole thing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How did you miss every other post in this thread talking about how important Bulwark is?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Geburan posted:

I picked up the base game and Flashpoint in a Humble Bundle a while back. I've been playing the campaign for a bit and just now found this thread. I think my guys are hosed now. I leveled too much with lights and mediums on lunar planets so they've all gone Gunnery and Piloting. I was using multi target to strip evasion on lights. Only Behemoth has Bulwark since I wasn't seeing many trees. Now I'm trying to decide if I should start from scratch, or try and muddle through. I suppose I could fire them all and hire some newbies, but I'd have a hard time letting go the starting team. Tough choices. Maybe I'll just wait for the summer sale to pick up DLC and then reroll the whole thing.

Use the save editor to redo all the skills and press on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just hire some new Mechwarriors, you can have like 24 of them

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Geburan posted:

I was in the same boat with humble bundle, trust me you'll want all the DLC's they improve the game immensely.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Man. I feel really good about this. I remember just barely surviving that moon assault mission to get the jump ship my first play through. This time I cored that pirate lady before she had a chance to act. Then we all kicked her friend until they fell over and we kicked them some more. Mech boot/10

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geburan posted:

I picked up the base game and Flashpoint in a Humble Bundle a while back. I've been playing the campaign for a bit and just now found this thread. I think my guys are hosed now. I leveled too much with lights and mediums on lunar planets so they've all gone Gunnery and Piloting. I was using multi target to strip evasion on lights. Only Behemoth has Bulwark since I wasn't seeing many trees. Now I'm trying to decide if I should start from scratch, or try and muddle through.

If you're playing the campaign, just power through it with the dudes you have -- the campaign missions are not so difficult that you need an all-bulwark optimal team. In fact for a number of them your dudes will be ideal, because there are missions like "defend stuff from a horde of lights" well into the late game.

I completed the campaign only fielding 1-2 bulwark pilots my first time. That was back when the skills were a bit different, but it is totally possible to do.

(If you don't wanna do that you can get the retrainer mod)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I re-installed the game after like a 2 year hiatus and now the ?headlights? on the mechs are producing black box pixels instead of, you know, light. Looking around it seems like they upgraded reqs? I'm guessing there is no way around this outside of 'wait until you get a better laptop i suppose'. I don't see a beta option that lets you roll back version either. Seeing if I am missing anything here.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ramc posted:

I re-installed the game after like a 2 year hiatus and now the ?headlights? on the mechs are producing black box pixels instead of, you know, light. Looking around it seems like they upgraded reqs? I'm guessing there is no way around this outside of 'wait until you get a better laptop i suppose'. I don't see a beta option that lets you roll back version either. Seeing if I am missing anything here.

The engine is pretty much unchanged (for good and bad.)

Usual suggestions are validate steam files & update video drivers to make sure something didn't go stupid on the install.

Have you tried changing any of the graphics settings in the game?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, apart from the SLDF Griffin, is there a 'best' 55t mech? I tend to use the Shadow Hawk the most, since it has higher melee damage than the others.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, apart from the SLDF Griffin, is there a 'best' 55t mech? I tend to use the Shadow Hawk the most, since it has higher melee damage than the others.

In vanilla, the Kintaro can make an case for itself because of all the hardpoints it has and the fact it can equip jumpjets as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hannibal Rex posted:

My answer for "best" as far as what mech I will keep using even when I've got heavies is the Shadowhawk 2D, for the 2 AP hardpoints and extra melee damage. It's got enough energy & missile hardpoints to fit a good backstab loadout, which is what a 55t can do better than a heavy.

Griffin 1S is a very close second, all it's missing is the +15 melee damage.

anakha posted:

In vanilla, the Kintaro can make an case for itself because of all the hardpoints it has and the fact it can equip jumpjets as well.

If you assume you have an infinite supply of any weapon you want, the Kintaro has a decent case because SRM+++ are amazing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The problem with 55t mechs is some weight restricted missions won't let you take them because they have a hard cap of 50t per.

SLDF Phoenix Hawk is hilarious fun, got one for the first time and jumping halfway across the map to backstab fools with +20% damage never gets old. Has the same usable tonnage as a 55 tonner too.

Hatchetman 3X is good too but for completely different reasons. :black101:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Klyith posted:

My answer for "best" as far as what mech I will keep using even when I've got heavies is the Shadowhawk 2D, for the 2 AP hardpoints and extra melee damage.

Sorry, AP hardpoints?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Hannibal Rex posted:

The GRF-1N, hands down.

SHD-2H: More melee damage but out of the running due to M hardpoint on the head.
SHD-2D: Same. In fact, it's worse than the 2H due to even more awkward hardpoint placement (CT M, E and S split between arms).
KTO-18: It's got more M hardpoints and back in the days of SRM4 being optimal it was the king, but it doesn't actually have the tonnage to make the most of its Ms and assuming all equipment is available, and then hardpoint placement ends up a little awkward being split between the RA, RT, and LA.

GRF-1N: Can neatly pack 3xSRM6 all in the right torso, attached RA has 3E hardpoints and a support hardpoint to go easily field more firepower if DHS are available, and because of the hardpoint arrangement it can deadside the LT+RT and has no problems fitting a Defense Gyro + Cockpit mod.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks, let's make a brief segue into hardpoint discussion.

Orginally, I assumed arm hardpoints would be preferable because of the accuracy bonus, but weapons there are more easily destroyed, which starts to matter once you use lostech and ++ gear.

The center torso should always have a gyro, so you're limited to one small weapon there.

For the head, once I have enough decent spare pilots, I usually don't mind using a weapon instead of a cockpit mod, if I have the tonnage/heat/ammo to spare. One mech gets a comms system, and having a good rangefinder on one long-range mech is also useful.

Side torsos are better than arms for your main armament. Leaving an arm and side completely empty as ablative armor is the kind of advanced build strategy I rarely use, but chassis that can make use of that have an additional advantage.

I think that about covers it. Are there techs other than the Cicada 3C that have hard points in the legs?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

You feel the arm aim bonus more early in the game, and when trying to get the most usable range out of short-ranged weapons like ML and AC/20. Even with high gunnery pilots AC/20 chance to hit on 2nd shots can noticeably dip as you get to the edge of range and recoil penalties kick in.

In the early game something that stands out is how all else being equal a LL has a higher % hit chance most of the time than a ML because for the former you're rarely shooting far enough towards its maximum range that you get big hit penalties. Like on the laser-only blackjack you'll have the LL regularly have +20% to hit compared to the ML (yes I know the game rounds/slightly fudges the %). Misses do 0 damage so it's one of those things where the LL is maybe effectively better in actual use than on paper.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah, armed arms are good offensively but decrease the mechs overall toughness if losing them is a concern, which matters for say mediums planning to go on high difficulty contracts. Having the bulk of their firepower in the arms does give chassis like the Jenner and VND-1R a chance to keep up with heavier options, though.

The problem with M hardpoints on the head is same as the torso: even if you didn't care much for cockpit mods, it can only fit a single slot weapon.

And no, CDA-3C is the only one. It's such a lovely chassis it doesn't do it any favors, either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how there are leg and butt mounted weapons on mechs in the ttg.

I just like the Crusader in general.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You know I'd kinda forgotten how awkward the 2D's weapon layout was, but you can still fit 14 SRMs without sacrificing the gyro. Not great if you've picked up nothing but 6es for your + purchases though.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Sorry, AP hardpoints?

Support / antipersonnel weapons (they'd be antipersonnel if the game had personnel)

Hannibal Rex posted:

Side torsos are better than arms for your main armament. Leaving an arm and side completely empty as ablative armor is the kind of advanced build strategy I rarely use, but chassis that can make use of that have an additional advantage.

Deadsiding is IMO a strat that is extremely good if you're facing an intelligent adversary, but pretty unnecessary in SP against the AI. The AI doesn't concentrate fire very well. So it's not difficult to spread damage across multiple facings and multiple mechs, rather than intentionally take it on a sacrificial side.

The thing I dislike about deadsiding is that it limits your own movement in order to make use of the shield. If all your guns are on the right side, you will generally need to move to the right of the AI. If you want to move left you either show your vulnerable side, move very slowly, or pay the heat cost of jumping 100% of the time. The thing I found is that most mechs are "right-handed" and I want to go left against them a whole lot.

Repair time would also be a minus, except that repair time in the game is a joke if you don't have to refit weapons & equipment.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Playing through the campaign. Probably in the middle-ish. I have the black market unlocked but my pirate rep is so bad with them my black market prices are +1000%.

Is there any way for me to recover my rep? I can't accept missions from pirates anymore either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fennesz posted:

Playing through the campaign. Probably in the middle-ish. I have the black market unlocked but my pirate rep is so bad with them my black market prices are +1000%.

Is there any way for me to recover my rep? I can't accept missions from pirates anymore either.

Go to a 0.5 skull planet and start grinding. Other than that nope