Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Seriously, I have no idea who this is for but it looks like they're going to top 300k, so someone, apparently. I will say every mini extravaganza kickstarter campaign I've followed has had a crowd of people saying some variant of "if I can't have all of it I don't want any of it".

I strongly suspect the thing that's actually selling are the gameplay exclusives. Which of course shouldn't be in a Kickstarter that's supposedly about comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Yeah that CMON Kickstarter is for three expansions. I'm not sure why they are trying to hide that

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

These look cute. Two one-shot storygames complete in a small box (each). One two-player and one for 3-4 players, no GM in either.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/storybrewers/littlebox-rpgs-two-complete-story-games-in-two-little-boxes

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Yeah that CMON Kickstarter is for three expansions. I'm not sure why they are trying to hide that

I'm guessing that they're of free web-download quality and people would complain endlessly if they, alone, were behind a paywall.

But this way they're "free," so what do you want for free?

Besides, CMON's biggest actual product is exclusivity. Do you want to miss out? Don't you want to complete the set?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do get the feeling CMON makes more than enough to at least pay for the comics and put them up for free if you really want to read about the adventures in the Zombicide universe.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A War of Whispers: Dark Alliance is finishing in just over 2 days time.
I've backed the collector's edition /w Dark Alliance expansion add-on

The SUSD video got me interested in it. I've played a couple of rounds on TTS and I really really like it for how quick it takes to play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBf_BAZBH8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P26OsRmdCZw

'Sharing' the battle with other players is a really interesting mechanic and twist on DOAM, and subtly pushing your agenda without revealing your hand in the early stages of the game is really engaging; especially when you can pull off a :masterstroke: level play by end game.

I can absolutely see this going into high rotation in my various gaming groups.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Infinitum posted:

A War of Whispers: Dark Alliance is finishing in just over 2 days time.
I've backed the collector's edition /w Dark Alliance expansion add-on

I too backed the CE + expansion, but after one TTS base game play I have a concern:

the cards. I like that players can take an action that gives them additional power at the expense of the faction missing out on an action.

the trouble is that the cards themselves make the game super swingy, because they (in particular the a) attack anywhere and b) move your agent and take another action out of turn effects) are extremely powerful.

without the cards the game becomes much less dynamic and scores will converge, but with the cards as is it ends up feeling a bit random.

Only one play, but I am hovering over passing on my pledge and trading for a copy later.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I feel like that's part of the appeal, using the cards to trip up your opponents and swing the board state to your favour.

The trick I found was to get cards early, if possible, and then start using them strategically in the late game where it becomes obvious where allegiances lie.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Role is up now.

The main selling point for me is the exclusive Lancer: Battlegroup content. Beyond that, the biggest concern I have is how far along they are. They're proposing jumping in the market with what looks like a technically advanced VTT with a bunch of moving parts, so seeing some of it in action would be nice. Especially with a funding goal so low.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Everything about the Role KS page looks like a scam. Lots of high-gloss designer mockups and copious amounts of words about all the ways they plan on monetising this, but absolutely nothing about what niche this fills or what it does better than existing alternatives.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Also it won't support tactical maps at launch, because they felt that building their own video chat system was more important.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lemon-Lime posted:

Everything about the Role KS page looks like a scam. Lots of high-gloss designer mockups and copious amounts of words about all the ways they plan on monetising this, but absolutely nothing about what niche this fills or what it does better than existing alternatives.

Yeah, this is my feeling about it. If it is cool and good it will have a retail release so I can wait and see.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A lot of designers I trust are hype on Role, and some of the stuff they've been saying in the run up to this sounds really appealing, but I'm kinda soft-skeptical too, I would have liked to have seen a working preview. I'm worried were all just desperate for anything other that DriveThru tbqh and itch never quite worked out for all of us

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

A lot of designers I trust are hype on Role, and some of the stuff they've been saying in the run up to this sounds really appealing, but I'm kinda soft-skeptical too, I would have liked to have seen a working preview. I'm worried were all just desperate for anything other that DriveThru tbqh and itch never quite worked out for all of us
Same. DTRPG, roll20, and itch all have their issues, but the details on this are thinner than I was hoping for.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

moths posted:

Besides, CMON's biggest actual product is exclusivity. Do you want to miss out? Don't you want to complete the set?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Lemon-Lime posted:

but absolutely nothing about what niche this fills or what it does better than existing alternatives.

They don't advertise it as better than existing alternatives, but they're clearly shooting for two main new features: solid video integration, which is almost totally lacking in VTTs right now, and a more robust player matching system. Frankly both seem like good goals to pursue, particularly video since the best option right now for integrated video is Roll20 and it's...not great. The exclusives and market integration doesn't seem like anything new.

Considering they seem to be angling themselves more toward the storygame end of the market, not having maps at launch may not be as big as issue as it seems. Their idea of making it feel more like a natural table by having everyone's face up there seems like a solid idea to me, since most of my VTT experience involves Skype running behind something else and not seeing other players most of the time.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Lots of high-gloss designer mockups and copious amounts of words about all the ways they plan on monetising this

That's the real issue for me, though. Having a solid video integration is one hell of a task and I have no idea what team they have, what progress they have, or any indication that this is an any way a realistic product.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, if they don’t have maps, what exactly do they offer over a Discord server with a dice bot? You can do video streaming over Discord easily.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks to me like Role is prioritizing being a platform for actual play streams first. A virtual tabletop that doesn't offer a shared map is odd in a market where D&D remains the most saturated game and demands, at the very least, an abstracted map for the sake of exploration or fights though. I do see they're leaning into smaller indie games that don't demand a battle grid, but even shared diagrams or zones on the virtual tabletop help a lot with online games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EverettLO posted:

They don't advertise it as better than existing alternatives, but they're clearly shooting for two main new features: solid video integration, which is almost totally lacking in VTTs right now, and a more robust player matching system.

Don't forget their number one advertised feature (as in, it's the first one they advertise as a distinguishing feature in the pitch video): an "ultra-premium marketplace" with exclusive games from indie designers. They don't outright say it, but they're clearly trying to position themselves as the EGS to DTRPG's Steam, in addition to being a videoconferencing app with built-in dice roller and an elfgame dating site. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 3, 2020

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

These look cute. Two one-shot storygames complete in a small box (each). One two-player and one for 3-4 players, no GM in either.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/storybrewers/littlebox-rpgs-two-complete-story-games-in-two-little-boxes

I was interested in one of these, but I can't justify spending close to $60 CDN on something like this. :(

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

ketchup vs catsup posted:

the trouble is that the cards themselves make the game super swingy, because they (in particular the a) attack anywhere and b) move your agent and take another action out of turn effects) are extremely powerful.

Fwiw the attack anywhere card requires the target province to have no soldiers in it so it can be protected against in advance, and the move your agent card doesn't give you an extra action, just replaces what you would have done with something else, it's more about flexibility.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Merchants of the Dark Road has launched.

Some of you nerds get your jollys from games with lots and lots of minis. Me? Metal. loving. coins.

LOOK AT THEM! DUAL COLOURS!

The deluxe version components look absolutely amazing

I've watched a couple of preview videos and everything so far seems extremely positive.
I'll need to watch a full playthrough at some point to see if it'll tip me over the edge.

I'm leaning towards the all-in deluxe version.. urghhhhhh I was going to buy Root+expansions or A Feast For Odin this month :negative:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Last year I asked for advice on getting a refund from a boardgame table kickstarter that was not going anywhere. I managed to be annoying enough to get refunded and it feels like I was probably in an extreme minority in that respect. Tuesday the project finally imploded with the campaign runner admitting that he hasn't heard from his business partner in China in 2 months and that he doesn't actually have a stake in the company or any real financial control. He was basically just a contract employee and would get a stake if the sales did well enough. Right now he's trying to get the owner of the company to transfer ownership of the LLC to him so he can try and complete it. If he can't everything will be lost. All he has possession of are a couple demo table prototypes he used to try and sell it at conventions. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woodedrealms/2nd-breakfast-an-affordable-quality-board-game-tab/posts/2853730

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Some of you nerds get your jollys from games with lots and lots of minis. Me? Metal. loving. coins.

I've watched a couple of preview videos and everything so far seems extremely positive.
I'll need to watch a full playthrough at some point to see if it'll tip me over the edge.

I'm leaning towards the all-in deluxe version.. urghhhhhh I was going to buy Root+expansions or A Feast For Odin this month :negative:

When I was little, Lucky Charms just had pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Infinitum posted:

You might as well get known quantities Root and AFFO instead of gambling on a KS and waiting a year+ for it to arrive.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Infinitum posted:

I really like his playthroughs to get a feel for a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi8I5vWPgjg

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Not quite a kickstarter, but GMT's P500 program sorta counts. Go buy this so they produce it and I get one.
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-866-border-reivers.aspx

I'm a sucker for the time period and setting, so there's no way I wasn't going to pre-order this.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I find it somewhat offputting that Role won't come out and say what the Role Master Edition will cost after the first free year. Or even provide a rough ballpark estimate.

If you're using the free version, then you're limited to one "table". So let's say I run a D&D game and that's my table, even if that particular game is not currently ongoing. Then if I want to do Blades in the Dark, I would need a second table. Or I need to delete the previous table (which I don't want), or completely recycle the table by kicking out old players, inviting new ones, polluting the chat logs, changing art assets uploaded, etc. as I keep switching back and forth. That sounds like an annoying way to go about it, so anybody who actually runs multiple games will almost certainly want a paid subscription.

Oh and the free version's video chat is limited to 4 players, and it's unclear if that includes the GM. So even if I run only one game, or set up multiple accounts, I'd still kinda need the paid version actually.

Except I don't know what that'd cost. All they said in the comment section is that KS backers are getting "a massive discount", so if the KS tier of $20 for a free year is a massive discount then the normal version would be much higher than that, yeah? Do I really want to spend Netflix-account levels of money for a vtt? Except they don't have a vtt yet and it's more like a glossy Discord with itch.io bolted on?

I dunno man.

I like the idea of it and all but I need more info. I'm not going to back something today only for it to maybe never deliver on the vtt and cost stupid levels of money a year later.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey everybody it's Horny 13 year old boy: The Board Game :nws:

Selecta84 posted:

I really like his playthroughs to get a feel for a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi8I5vWPgjg

Yeah so far I've checked out Rahdo's video, and need to see if I can find one with actual players instead of solo play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF94QO-huHU

GrandpaPants posted:

You might as well get known quantities Root and AFFO instead of gambling on a KS and waiting a year+ for it to arrive.

Yes... but... metal coins..

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

:hmmyes:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I cannot imagine any situation where "horny cartoon teenagers in an organic fantasy gently caress dungeon" is something I would want to own.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mods change my name to Vaginoraptor.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SIN PIT posted:

Challenges

It is our first project on Kickstarter...

I'm shocked, shocked!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I think I use this smiley in this thread more than any other but it’s still apropos.

:yikes:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Matagot games listened to all the criticism for their Kemet kickstarter.

The new Sphinx mini is 100% less horny

And they added a new stretch goal to retheme the Cthulhu expansion into Egyptian gods, though you can still buy the Cthulhu version for extra money.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I cannot imagine any situation where "horny cartoon teenagers in an organic fantasy gently caress dungeon" is something I would want to own.

I mean, you probably don't back it for the game, sure. But you don't want the models for other games? Not interested in having a *checks images* coronavirus-shaped ball of dildos?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

That new Sphinx mini also isn't a Sphinx, it's a Griffon.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah I’m not sure they know what a sphinx is.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah I’m not sure they know what a sphinx is.

The original had both a mane and tits so they might not know what a basic lion is. Sphinx is a whole different degree of difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Matagot games listened to all the criticism for their Kemet kickstarter.

The new Sphinx mini is 100% less horny

And they added a new stretch goal to retheme the Cthulhu expansion into Egyptian gods, though you can still buy the Cthulhu version for extra money.

Egyptian "sphinxes" had the heads of men or rams; similar creatures elsewhere had the heads of birds. They were guardian forces and didn't always get different names in the ancient world. "We wanted it to look like the original game art, but we agree that the sphinx's sexualization makes our game less good, and are changing it" should have been enough of a reason, without invoking realism.