Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

bomb posted:

They put some money in that sign look at all that black

Maybe the printer charges by the letter so they designed that sign out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tuyop posted:

Canada thread derail continues: why is our second-language education so poo poo? All these European countries have great success teaching English AND Flemish or whatever but we can’t manage French.

People in Europe learn English relatively easily because English is so ubiquitous. Learning a language is way easier when the language is everywhere around you.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Hey, what's up your craw, eh?

I'm about this close to running away.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Vakal posted:

Because no one outside of Ontario or Quebec gives a poo poo about learning French.

New Brunswick is officially bilingual and the other Maritime provinces have substantial Acadian populations too.

Wasn’t there a goon who said they were going to have a lung removed due to COVID damage? How are they doing?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lazyhound posted:

Wasn’t there a goon who said they were going to have a lung removed due to COVID damage? How are they doing?

If you mean this goon, not well. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916924&pagenumber=1

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

tuyop posted:

Canada thread derail continues: why is our second-language education so poo poo? All these European countries have great success teaching English AND Flemish or whatever but we can’t manage French.

Federal bilingualism was just Trudeau Sr pandering to his Quebec base

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Andrast posted:

People in Europe learn English relatively easily because English is so ubiquitous. Learning a language is way easier when the language is everywhere around you.

"Europe" has almost a billion people and some places are good at english and some suck.

GENERALLY speaking, the further south and east you go the worse "europeans" get at English.

Scandinavia is great at it while places like Spain and France struggle more with it. I'd say it's mostly because Scandinavians see English everywhere on TV (with subtitles) while in places like Spain or France they dub everything.

I mean, that's how I learned English fluently. Dubbing is stupid as gently caress.

poo poo, Scandinavia is small as hell but I encounter more nordic people on the internet than from places like Spain or Greece whatever. It's like they keep to their own insular language spheres

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 2, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

When I was in Stockholm almost everything was written in English, signs, placards, even menus. It was weird. I felt like I was playing Cities Skylines then enabled "European Style Buildings".

*edit* - My son called it Diet Europe.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

drat drat drat

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Like I've heard from more than one Dutch person that while yeah, they had English classes at some point, their real teacher was English versions of the Simpsons and similar North American media.

I’d personally give a shout-out to BBC and their Ceefax captions for the deaf and hard of hearing. It wasn’t just hearing The Simpsons, it was reading it too. Their captions were also amazingly detailed at times. Bus driver Otto is humming a tune for 5 seconds? Captions told you which song it was.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Mierenneuker posted:

I’d personally give a shout-out to BBC and their Ceefax captions for the deaf and hard of hearing. It wasn’t just hearing The Simpsons, it was reading it too. Their captions were also amazingly detailed at times. Bus driver Otto is humming a tune for 5 seconds? Captions told you which song it was.

Yes, that is how my children learnt English. Especially Star Trek Voyager on BBC with English subtitles, that was where it really caught on.

This doesn't apply to my generation: when I was young we had two Dutch TV channels, mostly only broadcasting in the evening, but most of the country was in reach of three German channels. We learned German from television, and what is worse, we saw many Hollywood classics with German dubbing.

I think English popular music was more important for acquiring the language than films in that time. Of course there were a lot of school classes in French, German and English, and a moderately educated Dutch person was expected to have a working knowledge of those three languages.

Since the 1970's pupils could drop most foreign languages, and the active knowledge of French and German has declined seriously here in NL. Young Dutch people will speak English with young German people. And they will not speak with French people :-)

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

13Pandora13 posted:

Don't take this the wrong way but this is incorrect in a pretty dangerous way and I really hope you're not saying this to other parents in your life. While children are in the least likely group to be hospitalized for breathing difficulties there are a number of unique ways COVID-19 presents in pediatric cases and parents should absolutely be vigilant about keeping their kids from getting it if at all possible. We have absolutely no way of knowing at this point what the long term ramifications of this illness is on development, especially with mounting evidence of vascular and neurological effects.

https://www.cureus.com/articles/32076-a-review-of-neurological-complications-of-covid-19
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-considerations-in-children
https://newsroom.heart.org/news/kid...very-infrequent
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7180343/
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30980-6/fulltext

While there is no reason not to try and do your best to avoid any unneccesary exposure of Covid to your kids, telling others not to worry because as a general rule Covid is not severe in the large majority of children is true. You are linking to studies that either confirm this, or ones talking about incredible fringe cases they are still trying to learn more about.

Under the age of 18, the seasonal flu is 200% as deadly as Covid-19. Most parents (and kids) don't live in fear of their kids getting the flu, even though it is possible they end up as one of the sickest ones. In one study you linked, some 75% of hospitalizations of children had a serious pre-existing condition like permanent medical intervention / severe disability, cancer, immune disease, etc.

Don't try and incite more panic when you really don't understand the scale. You are much more likely to kill your kids driving them to Mini Putt than from them getting Covid.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

coronavirus posted:

While there is no reason not to try and do your best to avoid any unneccesary exposure of Covid to your kids, telling others not to worry because as a general rule Covid is not severe in the large majority of children is true. You are linking to studies that either confirm this, or ones talking about incredible fringe cases they are still trying to learn more about.

Under the age of 18, the seasonal flu is 200% as deadly as Covid-19. Most parents (and kids) don't live in fear of their kids getting the flu, even though it is possible they end up as one of the sickest ones. In one study you linked, some 75% of hospitalizations of children had a serious pre-existing condition like permanent medical intervention / severe disability, cancer, immune disease, etc.

Don't try and incite more panic when you really don't understand the scale. You are much more likely to kill your kids driving them to Mini Putt than from them getting Covid.

I’m onto you coronavirus nice try!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

coronavirus posted:

No one's inciting panic, that poster was saying exactly what you wrote in your first sentence

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Goddammit no, oh my god

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bonaventure posted:

Ananas is great I won’t hear a foul word spoken against him

JE SUIS UN ANANAS

cafe des reves was pretty good for a laugh too

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
So a group of nerds looked at all the available evidence for preventing transmission of the corvids and just published it here

Researchers posted:

Implications of all the available evidence

In view of inconsistent guidelines by various organisations based on limited information, our findings provide some clarification and have implications for multiple stakeholders. The risk for infection is highly dependent on distance to the individual infected and the type of face mask and eye protection worn. From a policy and public health perspective, current policies of at least 1 m physical distancing seem to be strongly associated with a large protective effect, and distances of 2 m could be more effective. These data could also facilitate harmonisation of the definition of exposed (eg, within 2 m), which has implications for contact tracing. The quantitative estimates provided here should inform disease-modelling studies, which are important for planning pandemic response efforts. Policy makers around the world should strive to promptly and adequately address equity implications for groups with currently limited access to face masks and eye protection. For health-care workers and administrators, our findings suggest that N95 respirators might be more strongly associated with protection from viral transmission than surgical masks. Both N95 and surgical masks have a stronger association with protection compared with single-layer masks. Eye protection might also add substantial protection. For the general public, evidence shows that physical distancing of more than 1 m is highly effective and that face masks are associated with protection, even in non-health-care settings, with either disposable surgical masks or reusable 12–16-layer cotton ones, although much of this evidence was on mask use within households and among contacts of cases. Eye protection is typically underconsidered and can be effective in community settings. However, no intervention, even when properly used, was associated with complete protection from infection. Other basic measures (eg, hand hygiene) are still needed in addition to physical distancing and use of face masks and eye protection.
No surprise, physical distancing and masks help. Eye protection is also effective in a lot of settings and most people don't use it. Keep on maskin'.

coronavirus posted:

Your posts do a good job of spreading the coronavirus, which is exactly what we'd expect from...coronavirus.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 2, 2020

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

gently caress.

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.
Social distance shamers - Look what happened during the Spanish Flu when the US celebrated in the streets at the end of WW1. We can't risk a second wave. Think of Grandma.

Also social distance shamers - Protesting in mass gatherings in the streets is well and good even if it means a second wave that will kill Grandma.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Facebook Aunt posted:

See, I warned you guys, Canuck fights are really boring.
Then drop gloves and make it exciting again.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Someone mentioned 2020 being the year Shadowrun becomes real

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/GanucheauAdam/status/1267562223121174529?s=20 lmao someone is gonna WFH

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Someone mentioned 2020 being the year Shadowrun becomes real

Alex Jones: frogs turning gay

incels become groypers

groypers become goblins

soy boys become elves

:tinfoil:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

:stonk: 🥺

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

It is nice how everyone is unmasking themselves.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Xenocides posted:

It is nice how everyone is unmasking themselves.

Covid 19 transmission rates are directly proportional to its media coverage, so everyone is safe now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've seen absolutely nothing on covid-19 since the riots started.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I have seen people say they hope a lot of protestors die from it but that's about it

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've seen absolutely nothing on covid-19 since the riots started.

Covid: news from a tiny country far from the US;

-Social distancing and masks seem to work so we are allowed to go back to a somewhat "normal" lifestyle
-It's been 2 weeks of very sunny weather and it did seem to impact the situation positively.
-It appears a number of people seem to be simply immune to the virus.

So it's not "it's all over yet" (we'll see that next winter), but it's a step in the right direction.

What's happening in the US is hosed up though. It's surprising it did not happen earlier.

naem
May 29, 2011

I can’t believe that the protests have overtaken the murder-virus as the big crazy thing affecting us all

the heck could be next at this point?

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

bomb posted:

Who even came up with the name Canada? I mean really?

According to Swiss mythology, an Austrian discovered an empty place and shouted "koana doa" which means "nobody here".

...I'm old...

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

naem posted:

I can’t believe that the protests have overtaken the murder-virus as the big crazy thing affecting us all

Aliens lol

naem
May 29, 2011

it’s gonna have to be at this point

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Oh forgot to mention: While the US is burning and dying, Swiss Fauchi retired... He kinda went viral doing it: https://youtu.be/dvzROcCjirg

Also: I quit my job last friday and it feels right.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

and I am all for this

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

naem posted:

Hurricane season. Then more riots as evictions and debt collection resume with no relief beyond whatever Congress and cash-strapped states can grunt out. Expect essential workers to gradually start acting out as they take a disproportionate brunt of ‘rona-related abuse. Then a heatwave. Then resurgent COVID. Then the election.

That’s nowhere near all-inclusive, or even necessarily in order. Betcha there will be a wildcard in there, too.

naem
May 29, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

Hurricane season. Then more riots as evictions and debt collection resume with no relief beyond whatever Congress and cash-strapped states can grunt out. Expect essential workers to gradually start acting out as they take a disproportionate brunt of ‘rona-related abuse. Then a heatwave. Then resurgent COVID. Then the election.

That’s nowhere near all-inclusive, or even necessarily in order. Betcha there will be a wildcard in there, too.

we already had murder-hornets so the next things going to have to be a real doozy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

naem posted:

it’s gonna have to be at this point
Or maybe Godzillas.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

numberoneposter posted:

Or maybe Godzillas.

It’ll be Steve. Fuckin’ Steve.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
We fully expect a spike at our large hospital. We were spiking down slowly on inpatient Covid treatment. The protesting in my city is going to make it...not good in a couple weeks. Bad loving timing for this all to go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mexico update:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4641_story.html

Cracked top 10 in deaths, 10,000 dead(believed to be 3 to 5 times higher)
Reopened country since yesterday, despite being at “peak of pandemic”, highest mortality/CFR rate possibly in the world? Almost 12%