Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

fennesz posted:

Playing through the campaign. Probably in the middle-ish. I have the black market unlocked but my pirate rep is so bad with them my black market prices are +1000%.

Is there any way for me to recover my rep? I can't accept missions from pirates anymore either.

You can easily edit the .json files to make the drop off in the missions offered for bad reputation less drastic.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/suggestion-reputation-problem-1-low-reputation.1134610/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fennesz posted:

Playing through the campaign. Probably in the middle-ish. I have the black market unlocked but my pirate rep is so bad with them my black market prices are +1000%.

Is there any way for me to recover my rep? I can't accept missions from pirates anymore either.

Open data\SimGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json, scroll to the very bottom, see these lines:
code:
"LoathedMaxContractDifficulty" : 1,
"HatedMaxContractDifficulty" : 2,
"DislikedMaxContractDifficulty" : 3,
"IndifferentMaxContractDifficulty" : 6,
"LikedMaxContractDifficulty" : 8,
"FriendlyMaxContractDifficulty" : 9,
"HonoredMaxContractDifficulty" : 10,
If you change the 1, 2, and 3 to 5s, you can run 2.5 skull difficulty missions even if they hate you. If you set everything to 10, you can can run any mission at any reputation.

But also in the campaign the black market is very unnecessary. The campaign will give you a SLDF mech halfway through, and you really don't need a bunch of special gear to finish it. The campaign missions are still balanced for the base game, not the OP heavy metal stuff. Finish off the campaign promptly, then start a career game to put all the things you know about rep and the blackmarket into play.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Klyith posted:

Deadsiding is IMO a strat that is extremely good if you're facing an intelligent adversary, but pretty unnecessary in SP against the AI. The AI doesn't concentrate fire very well. So it's not difficult to spread damage across multiple facings and multiple mechs, rather than intentionally take it on a sacrificial side.

The thing I dislike about deadsiding is that it limits your own movement in order to make use of the shield. If all your guns are on the right side, you will generally need to move to the right of the AI. If you want to move left you either show your vulnerable side, move very slowly, or pay the heat cost of jumping 100% of the time. The thing I found is that most mechs are "right-handed" and I want to go left against them a whole lot.

Repair time would also be a minus, except that repair time in the game is a joke if you don't have to refit weapons & equipment.

The way deadsiding works in the context of this game isn't so much intentionally exposing certain sections, but that having 'worthless' sections increases the overall uptime of your mech.

Picture you've got an empty left arm and left torso. The HP you care about is the armor for every section but those, because those others are the sections housing weapons and equipment you don't want losing (be it due to rarity or time consumed replacing them), but the LA and LT? They can go all the way down to structure and it won't matter much. Even destroyed if your repair times are good.

And what happens when you're attacked? A portion of the damage you're receiving is, due to RNG, potentially heading towards the empty sections. That's damage your real HP isn't taking. Say you get whacked by an AC20 shot from front; in the example here it's got a 29.6% chance of being swallowed by the void rather than actually hurting you.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 2, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

Open data\SimGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json, scroll to the very bottom, see these lines:
code:
"LoathedMaxContractDifficulty" : 1,
"HatedMaxContractDifficulty" : 2,
"DislikedMaxContractDifficulty" : 3,
"IndifferentMaxContractDifficulty" : 6,
"LikedMaxContractDifficulty" : 8,
"FriendlyMaxContractDifficulty" : 9,
"HonoredMaxContractDifficulty" : 10,
If you change the 1, 2, and 3 to 5s, you can run 2.5 skull difficulty missions even if they hate you. If you set everything to 10, you can can run any mission at any reputation.

But also in the campaign the black market is very unnecessary. The campaign will give you a SLDF mech halfway through, and you really don't need a bunch of special gear to finish it. The campaign missions are still balanced for the base game, not the OP heavy metal stuff. Finish off the campaign promptly, then start a career game to put all the things you know about rep and the blackmarket into play.

Got it.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just been taking my time with campaign as I'm obviously still learning the basics. Definitely bookmarking that file edit though, I feel like a merc company shouldn't be so restricted for taking contracts due to rep anyhow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also keep in mind that when the opfor is local government, there's no reputation you can gain or lose with them. If you're trying to change your rep, take those missions with minimum rewards for the best effect.

E: Or just get the save editor and set your rep with everyone to 100 because it's not a very interesting/fun mechanic the way it's implemented.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 2, 2020

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Also keep in mind that when the opfor is local government, there's no reputation you can gain or lose with them. If you're trying to change your rep, take those missions with minimum rewards for the best effect.

E: Or just get the save editor and set your rep with everyone to 100 because it's not a very interesting/fun mechanic the way it's implemented.

Sweet jesus it took me to your second sentence to notice that I wasn't in uspol.

On topic, this is accurate and counter-intuitive, missions against the local system are always safe for your rep, but vs pirates are not. You generally want good relations with the pirates for access to their excellent deals on mostly legit equipment.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Plek posted:

Sweet jesus it took me to your second sentence to notice that I wasn't in uspol.

On topic, this is accurate and counter-intuitive, missions against the local system are always safe for your rep, but vs pirates are not. You generally want good relations with the pirates for access to their excellent deals on mostly legit equipment.

I feel like if rep is done this way (barring any editing/modding) they should have the pirate rep independent for each system. If I nuke pirates 200 light years from another pirate - why would he care?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Solidyarrity.

I'll see myself out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Conspiratiorist posted:

The way deadsiding works in the context of this game isn't so much intentionally exposing certain sections, but that having 'worthless' sections increases the overall uptime of your mech.

And what happens when you're attacked? A portion of the damage you're receiving is, due to RNG, potentially heading towards the empty sections. That's damage your real HP isn't taking. Say you get whacked by an AC20 shot from front; in the example here it's got a 29.6% chance of being swallowed by the void rather than actually hurting you.

But if you aren't using facing to put shots into the worthless side, you haven't accomplished anything! It's just upped the variance on RNG results. That AC20 hit also has a 30% chance to go into the sections with all your guns, and should you take enough damage to destroy a section has a much higher impact on the mech's effectiveness (including possibly all the mech's weapons).

I mean, I get that damage is usually incremental enough that you have a chance to respond before actually losing sections, but I really don't see the benefit if you aren't preferentially taking the hits to the deadside from the start. And if I'm gonna have a problem with a section loss, it's situations where the damage isn't as incremental. Generally because the reinforcement squad came from out of sensor range in a flanking direction and poured all 4 mechs worth of shots into the side of one dude.

Those are situations where deadsiding as you describe it sounds like a terrible idea to me, because you're putting all your eggs in one basket and you're not even protecting the basket.

Grand Fromage posted:

The other option is that in SimGameConstants there's two entries
"TargetRepSuccessMod" : -0.8,
"TargetRepGoodFaithMod" : -0.4,

that set how much negative rep the opponent picks up for running a mission against them. Which generally seems like a fine thing to mod to me.

Hey man, don't be mad at me! I'm just the labor, be mad at the management.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Klyith posted:

But if you aren't using facing to put shots into the worthless side, you haven't accomplished anything! It's just upped the variance on RNG results. That AC20 hit also has a 30% chance to go into the sections with all your guns, and should you take enough damage to destroy a section has a much higher impact on the mech's effectiveness (including possibly all the mech's weapons).

I mean, I get that damage is usually incremental enough that you have a chance to respond before actually losing sections, but I really don't see the benefit if you aren't preferentially taking the hits to the deadside from the start. And if I'm gonna have a problem with a section loss, it's situations where the damage isn't as incremental. Generally because the reinforcement squad came from out of sensor range in a flanking direction and poured all 4 mechs worth of shots into the side of one dude.

Those are situations where deadsiding as you describe it sounds like a terrible idea to me, because you're putting all your eggs in one basket and you're not even protecting the basket.

You can't present facings liberally like that because legs have a 33% hit chance on flanks, and both legs are important sections (that said you should definitely arrange things so the deadside leg is either empty or has its ammo consumed first).

And you should contemplate the alternative: if every section has components you can't afford to lose, then your disengage threshold is any section taking structure damage (because that's when you start rolling crits). Minimizing the number of sections where dipping into structure means you start playing conservatively with the mech can only be a positive.

Yes, it relies on randomness, but so what? It's still better than not having it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Conspiratiorist posted:

You can't present facings liberally like that because legs have a 33% hit chance on flanks, and both legs are important sections (that said you should definitely arrange things so the deadside leg is either empty or has its ammo consumed first).

A leg is moderately sacrificial if you have jumpjets, and even if you don't is not a mission kill. (Dangerous due to AI called shots though.)

Conspiratiorist posted:

And you should contemplate the alternative: if every section has components you can't afford to lose, then your disengage threshold is any section taking structure damage (because that's when you start rolling crits).

No, the opposite alternative is that every section has 1/4th of your firepower (or 1/5th if you have CT weapon slots). So losing any one section is affordable and your mech is still mission capable despite the loss.

Not that I think graceful degradation is a virtue: ideally a mech would keep 100% of its firepower until the moment it dies. But putting everything in RT/RA isn't doing that if you don't strongly protect that side.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes, it relies on randomness, but so what? It's still better than not having it.

It's not better if the average result isn't improved. Lets imagine you are hit by damage that destroys any one section. Two big weapons both happen to hit the same spot or something. Percents are how much of your firepower is lost from this event:
code:
                             RA    RT    LT    LA       average
Deadside mech front facing   50%   100%  0%    0%       37.5%
Even spread front facing     25%   50%   50%   25%      37.5%
Deadside mech left facing    -     -     0%    0%       0%
Even spread left facing      -     -     50%   25%      37.5%
With your method of using deadside, 50% of the time you will congratulate yourself for your brilliance and 50% of the time you will curse RNG. But it's statistically identical to the mech that has 1 gun in each section. Versus using the deadside as a shield, you have obviously improved results.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Klyith posted:

No, the opposite alternative is that every section has 1/4th of your firepower (or 1/5th if you have CT weapon slots). So losing any one section is affordable and your mech is still mission capable despite the loss.

Not that I think graceful degradation is a virtue: ideally a mech would keep 100% of its firepower until the moment it dies. But putting everything in RT/RA isn't doing that if you don't strongly protect that side.

Player mechs shouldn't die, full stop.

And a contract isn't worth losing rare gear, either.

You already dismantled most of the rest of your follow-up argument yourself on your first response to my post:

Klyith posted:

damage is usually incremental enough that you have a chance to respond before actually losing sections

Exactly. Deadsiding gives you better control over your HP pool, because other than for a gross misplay you aren't going to be losing sections outright. You can always take some damage and gauge the risks of taking further damage.

If part of the damage is going to sections that you don't care about, that only gives you more leeway!

And if it instead hits the sections you doubled down on, there's no difference! Because whether it was two SRM6++ or 3 SRM6++ and a DHS you shouldn't be risking them for whatever lovely loot a contract drops anyway!

On maximizing the protection to your important bits: the first layer should be armor. You have armor everywhere. You have the most armor in the CT. The CT, on a flank, isn't going to be taking damage (4.5% hit chance) until the ST is gone.

Why play to have a side destroyed from the get go? Go frontal, let the CT and important bits armor soak some damage, switch to presenting your flank (and playing conservatively) only if the armor there gets low.

Again:

Klyith posted:

damage is usually incremental enough that you have a chance to respond before actually losing sections

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's pretty weird thinking about it how mechanically that other half of the griffin is totally irrelevant to anything the machine is actually doing. It may as well be a twenty ton cube instead of another arm.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
When you think about, the UrbanMech is the most honest Mech

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's pretty weird thinking about it how mechanically that other half of the griffin is totally irrelevant to anything the machine is actually doing. It may as well be a twenty ton cube instead of another arm.

I think it'd be fun if they implemented a system for replacing an unused torso/arm with just a huge armor plate. If that side takes fire you decrease the likely hood they'll hit something else and/or a cover bonus, etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ok, I get what you're laying down there.

I just have to say, "in SP against the AI" is a thing you've been incredibly dismissive of to many people ITT. The role reversal is making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. :sigh:

Anyways... Deadsiding: it's probably good, though there are different opinions about how to best use it

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if, in-universe, an asymmetrical mech or a chicken-walker or other non-humaniod mech is harder to learn how to pilot? So making a mech that's just a solid block of armor on one side would be like relearning to run after losing one arm. And if so, what does that say about the Atlas?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tabletop wise, incoming hit locations are based on the angle of incoming fire just like in the HBS adaptation, while outgoing fire can pretty much go wherever, especially with torso twist(which doesn't effect incoming either)

For an always jumping (or able to) mech like the griffin that can just decide facings almost at will, yeah, its a lot more feasable to always present a side that has nothing in it. Once your armor's gone or you're in danger of losing legs, you swap to the other side.

Deadsiding is more of a thing in the mechwarrior games, though. Especially MWO.

As far as origins go, there's also some interplay between melee phase and arm mounted weapons: in tabletop, it doesn't come in either-or flavor; you can shoot AND try to slap/kick things, with the restriction being you can't fire arm mounted weapons if you want to punch. (kicks hit harder, punches can hit the head, and you two shots)

HBS did a decent job combining it, from my limited experience there's a few holdover designs that are slightly better melee combatants. I think Spiders are one of the 'douchier than they appear at first glance' since they only carry torso mounted weapons and have a huge jump distance. I think there's even a few designs that have a battlefist on like, only one arm?

But just, you know, imagine that most mechs were made to pop off their AC/20 and THEN do a haymaker, not one or the other.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

I wonder if, in-universe, an asymmetrical mech or a chicken-walker or other non-humaniod mech is harder to learn how to pilot? So making a mech that's just a solid block of armor on one side would be like relearning to run after losing one arm. And if so, what does that say about the Atlas?

Or all three. Imagine what that giant swinging cannon does to your CoG

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Tabletop wise, incoming hit locations are based on the angle of incoming fire just like in the HBS adaptation, while outgoing fire can pretty much go wherever, especially with torso twist(which doesn't effect incoming either)

Why isn't torso twist in this game anyway? Was it design decision or some kind of technical limitation?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You have finer control of your positioning than you do on a hex map, so they built it into the firing arc.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GD_American posted:

What the gently caress is the perspective in that art. It genuinely looks like an MC Escher piece.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More granularity in damage would be cool in Battletech 2. BEXCE has "XL engines" that overfill into left and right torsos and explode your mech if it goes. Instead I'd like to see that but you can damage the engine, reducing move speed via fewer hexes, if the an arm blows off, the other arms' guns are less accurate and the mech is less stable (because several tons just fell off), things like that. Less total destruction and more slugfests, p much.

Also I want that mech up there.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zurai posted:

What the gently caress is the perspective in that art. It genuinely looks like an MC Escher piece.

Lots of classic BT art is hilariously terrible unless it was copy-pasted from an anime.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

sean10mm posted:

Lots of classic BT art is hilariously terrible unless it was copy-pasted from an anime.

This is why I like the new Classic redesigns. They still look like their iconic Unseen versions, but without derpy perspectives and funky angles

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

I love the old lovely rectangle art

The Atlas is super scary everyone

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RBA Starblade posted:

I love the old lovely rectangle art

The Atlas is super scary everyone

Gotta respect the power stance.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GD_American posted:

well if you'd just mounted the gun between the legs instead...

the firing action is :mario:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, but imagine the ammo explosions

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm reminded of the old BattleTech toys where the crotch was the weakpoint. Their tagline was even "Hit 'em where it hurts!"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Are there any mods to improve escort missions AI? Or failing that just remove the mission type entirely.

Just had to pass up 3/3 salvage on a Marauder because a stupid inferno carrier got stuck between a cliff and a forest and the pathing AI just gave up trying to move it to the extraction point.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I thought escorts were supposed to just auto complete when the entire opfor was dead to keep the infamous tank pathing problems from cockblocking you like that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, but imagine the ammo explosions

gives a whole new meaning to the phrase blow your load

Pharnakes posted:

Are there any mods to improve escort missions AI? Or failing that just remove the mission type entirely.

Just had to pass up 3/3 salvage on a Marauder because a stupid inferno carrier got stuck between a cliff and a forest and the pathing AI just gave up trying to move it to the extraction point.

No. And yes. Though my preferred way to deal with a stuck escort is to use the debug menu and press the win mission button (or blow up the stuck vehicle, depending on the circumstance).

Gwaihir posted:

I thought escorts were supposed to just auto complete when the entire opfor was dead to keep the infamous tank pathing problems from cockblocking you like that.

It does, but that doesn't work if the vehicle gets stuck before all enemies have spawned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol at the BEXCE Longbow OW. 85 tons, 8 missile hardpoints, 3 support ones.

I loaded it up with SRMs and SLs. Get trundling big guy!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mission Control makes for some hectically fun games when you're running assault mechs, but I restarted and am running a lance of 50-55 tonners and it's loving ridiculous. No, guys, I'm pretty sure I'm not up to destroying 4 lances, 2 of which spawned flanking me and the 3rd and 4th which landed in consecutive rounds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klyith posted:

gives a whole new meaning to the phrase blow your load

No. And yes. Though my preferred way to deal with a stuck escort is to use the debug menu and press the win mission button (or blow up the stuck vehicle, depending on the circumstance).

It does, but that doesn't work if the vehicle gets stuck before all enemies have spawned.

Escort missions are also seemingly scripted to never spawn the inevitable reinforcement lance until one of the apcs has parked their rear end in the evac point. One map is twelve turns of waiting for them to wade through a river then the reinforcements spawn on the other side of a mountain. I hate that map.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SLDF Incoming mod gave me a 5 skull mission featuring a Warhammer 7A, Marauder 2R, Highlander 732b and an Atlas II, all immune to headshots of course. Plus another 4 regular assault mechs mixed in. :stare:

That made me sweat for a while there but the salvage was worth it, it gave me enough parts to finish my 2nd 732b and an Altas II. :awesomelon:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

well if you'd just mounted the gun between the legs instead...

Gauss Ammo is stored in the balls

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Pretty sure all ammo is cannonballs. Would explain the complete lack of AP abilities.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

I'm reminded of the old BattleTech toys where the crotch was the weakpoint. Their tagline was even "Hit 'em where it hurts!"

Because of those toys its canon that the Mauler has a malfunction where shooting it in the crotch causes the cockpit to eject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RBA Starblade posted:

Escort missions are also seemingly scripted to never spawn the inevitable reinforcement lance until one of the apcs has parked their rear end in the evac point. One map is twelve turns of waiting for them to wade through a river then the reinforcements spawn on the other side of a mountain. I hate that map.

I'm pretty sure there are a few where enemies show up when the vehicles are still rolling. But yeah, it's kinda dumb how most of them nothing happens until you get to the objective. Makes the missions very rote. If the enemies were just on the map it would be a lot more variable when & where you ended up encountering them. Plus the missions would be shorter.

sean10mm posted:

SLDF Incoming mod gave me a 5 skull mission featuring a Warhammer 7A, Marauder 2R, Highlander 732b and an Atlas II, all immune to headshots of course. Plus another 4 regular assault mechs mixed in. :stare:

:yeshaha:

The max difficulty lance is a SLDF assault & heavy + 2 assaults, and you got two of them!