Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

forkboy84 posted:

lol could've been PM right now stupid loving country

remember when the FT were writing increasingly hysterical articles about NO SERIOUSLY START MAKING MAJOR CONCESSIONS OR THERE'S GOING TO BE A loving PROBLEM FOR US and the tories ignored the minder class for once

I keep thinking about that stalin/wells interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

lol could've been PM right now stupid loving country

its absolutely the case that maybe the biggest reason the press and a lot of british public hate him with such ferocity is because he cares about minorities and people all around the world as much as white englanders

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Jeremy Corbyn's dream vacation is a biking trip in the Czech Republic where he'd create a photo album of manhole covers inbetween bean-fueled sex/political discussion marathons with his black lover. This completely disqualifies him from becoming prime minister.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Jeremy Corbyn's dream vacation is a biking trip in the Czech Republic where he'd create a photo album of manhole covers inbetween bean-fueled sex/political discussion marathons with his black lover. This completely disqualifies him from becoming prime minister.

lol remember when the mail tried to recover from "Jeremy Corbyn dated someone outside his race" with "AND THEN HE WORKED FOR THE KGB, THAT'S THE REAL STORY" citing a source who was a loving Live Aid truther and claiming to be a spy from a country that didn't exist at the time

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

so is the UK entering the cool zone or what, i hear a lot from paris and not much from your lumpy bog island.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

our cops only crack skulls in a big way when the far right are rallying to protect them

peoples economic situation isn't completely hosed here like the US because they've mostly been covering for businesses not working with the furlough scheme. i haven't worked in like 2 months now and have been on 80% of my salary in that time

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so is the UK entering the cool zone or what, i hear a lot from paris and not much from your lumpy bog island.

the UK is a pretty socially compliant country so we all p much did what we should until the government began maliciously undermining their own forced measures. People are still nervy as hell though, so unless you're in london or the west midlands (or medical or transport jobs) it's hard to understand quite how badly we've given ourselves the plague. The furlough scheme jose mentioned is now ending, and "quarantine" now means "get a bus to tesco and don't tell anyone or take precautions" so over the next two months you should expect to see a catastrophic, undeniable and deliberate wave of deaths. When this begins people will revert back to the measures they followed early on - without furlough support this will likely cause an economic wipeout along the lines of what we saw in the US earlier in the year. The tories might want that sharp shock, because it means Brexit will be a relative non-issue when the transition ends (no economy to kill), but that's when you'll see Cool Zone antics begin.

There were protests for George Floyd today but they were left be. Also it's illegal to have sex because an insane tradcath shithead is a major government player.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Even the worst cops in the UK are not straight up executing black people in the street like the US

UK police also aren't straining at the leash like US cops are, who are so massively overfunded and protected from basically any repercussion or oversight

It helps that austerity defunded the police over here so they lack a lot of the resources or will to really gently caress with the population (watch me eat those loving words lol)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Even the worst cops in the UK are not straight up executing black people in the street like the US

UK police also aren't straining at the leash like US cops are, who are so massively overfunded and protected from basically any repercussion or oversight

It helps that austerity defunded the police over here so they lack a lot of the resources or will to really gently caress with the population (watch me eat those loving words lol)

eh, they spent the entirety of the last two general elections screaming that they'd lose any major riot or unrest, they definitely don't have the numbers

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
there were protests in a few cities today. police don't really have guns here so there's a lot fewer traffic stop deaths but there HAVE been a few and a distinct lack of accountability for them.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Protests like these: https://twitter.com/TobiRachel_/status/1268180600973860865

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

MikeCrotch posted:

Mark Duggan, Sheku Bayoh...

If UK police all carried guns, we'd see a similar rate of murders

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Obliterati posted:

Mark Duggan, Sheku Bayoh...

If UK police all carried guns, we'd see a similar rate of murders

De Costa, Smiley Culture, Burrell, De Menzies...

Not all UK cops have guns but when the ones who do get called out someone is leaving in a hearse

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Crane Fist posted:

De Costa, Smiley Culture, Burrell, De Menzies...

Not all UK cops have guns but when the ones who do get called out someone is leaving in a hearse

And when they don't, as in the case of Bayoh, they simply beat him to death.

Diagram of injuries:

Obliterati has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Jun 3, 2020

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah as an American I was always very jealous that the worst thing anyone could say about Corbyn was that he was an anti-Semite, something that seemed demonstrably false even just from watching the regular news.

They said the same thing about Sanders in the US, and he is Jewish!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

boyega owns bones

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

police violence genuinely is less of an issue in britain than in the US. it is an issue, of course, as it is everywhere, but the americans are completely beyond the pale with it

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Stephen Lawrence's murder led to the Met being called 'institutionally racist'; not because they were directly responsible, but because they wilfully obstructed any possible means of bringing his killers to justice. Because they were (are) rotten, and racist.

It also gave us the below front page of the Daily Mail, of all papers:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

that maddie mcann story is such a transparent psyop and MI5's decline has been a sight to behold

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

that maddie mcann story is such a transparent psyop and MI5's decline has been a sight to behold

mi5 have not once caught a spy, were run by the USSR for a substantial period, and missed that members of the queens staff were very open communists. They quietly shuffled away after a confrontation when answered "Yes, I'm a communist" by a man who remained in gainful employment picking the queen's art. Their crowning glory was arresting a bunch of iranians trying to learn about nuclear physics, then getting humiliated upon discovering that the foreign office were fully away that exchange students did actually study the sciences sometimes. They're a myth invented by the daily mail and john le carre and their real job is loving up coverups when actual spooks from Russia or the US murder people, to the point of police telling them to gently caress off and writing articles about what useless and transparent shitheads they are.

I rarely find Adam Curtis to side with useful/verifiable over interesting but Bugger is one hell of a takedown

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

He died peacefully in a locked holdall in a bathtub and that's all we can say

he fell out of a helicopter that exploded and that's all we can say

he leant too far out of a window and landed impaled on a spike several feet away and that's all we can say and there's nothing you can do to contradict that

honestly, their work neutralising the graun was probably the only work they've ever done

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Spangly A posted:

honestly, their work neutralising the graun was probably the only work they've ever done

sounds like they did their job perfectly

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

spincube posted:

Stephen Lawrence's murder led to the Met being called 'institutionally racist'; not because they were directly responsible, but because they wilfully obstructed any possible means of bringing his killers to justice. Because they were (are) rotten, and racist.

It also gave us the below front page of the Daily Mail, of all papers:

Reminder that the sole reason Dacre was as good as he was on Stephen Lawrence is that Lawrence's dad had been employed to paint his house so there was a personal connection. The only reason there was any justice for the Lawrence family is a chance encounter with a newspaper Editor who generally did his best to isolate himself from the plebs.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Jacob Rees Mogg has been successful in his attempt to bring MPs back to parliament. Johnson is falling apart and revealing himself to be an idiot at every PMQ. The idea is that if they could get MPs to back him up and start braying like donkeys they might look better.

It has backfired, Alok Sharma appeared ill while giving a speech and is now being tested for Covid. Here he is, wiping sweat away and appearing flustered.

Social distancing is impossible in Westminster because it has so many chokepoints.

Phil here goes into more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU-g099EKQ8

I haven't linked any of Phil's videos before and I have not seen anyone else do it. He uploads daily, sometimes more than once. He is concise, to the point and understands the system. His channel is A Different Bias. He is well worth a watch.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
don't worry they gave his seat a bit of a wipe so it's all safe now, everyone can keep coming in to work until the results come back in a few days and it will all be fine

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1268482288372899841?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The UK has a very violent police force that kills poo poo loads of PoCs and always has. Just they beat them to death in custody instead.

It's just that A) America doesn't have cops it has death squads so by comparison any place looks good
B) in the UK we absolutely do not talk about anything that might upset the proles

Therefore most people in the UK have never heard ANY kind of discussion on racism in the UK and all white people think we're basically fine.
Ofc actually we're the smouldering remains of a white supremacist empire and just as racist as the Americans but only PoC people know that and we won't let them on telly if they talk about it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1268515402780413952?s=20

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

johnson gets antother holiday

how nice for him

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Is it going to get revealed that Boris didn't have it before and actually has it for real this time???

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

they have spent their entire lives with reality being a thing that other people have to deal with, not them

to be honest their anti-mattering field is so strong that i began to think it would work on roni too but nope, reality apparently still real

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if Boris had it before, he'd be immune, so who the gently caress knows what's going on

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Reality Protester posted:

if Boris had it before, he'd be immune, so who the gently caress knows what's going on

It's not clear at all that having it before makes you immune

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's not clear at all that Boris had it before

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

V. Illych L. posted:

boyega owns bones

Someone pointed out to me that his character arc in SW is literally "Fascist cop who quits to join the resistance" so it's still on brand!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MikeCrotch posted:

It's not clear at all that having it before makes you immune

yeah it does. the studies where it didn't were basically misfires on viral parts or it never cleared in the first place

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah it does. the studies where it didn't were basically misfires on viral parts or it never cleared in the first place

You're misinterpreting the data.

We know it clears from your system but we don't know what the immunity is like.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Given there doesn't appear to have been a single confirmed reinfection anywhere in the world as of now it seems fair to assume there's short to mid term immunity as with other Coronaviruses

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Confirmation would require a government who can't get the lockdown right but does test properly.

We're probably not knowing if the vaccine grants prolonged immunity until it's already rolling out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
We'll know when the second wave hits in the fall/winter. Then we'll also hopefully have a lot of trials ready to go for therapeutics and other things, because the ones that are running now are fighting over subjects. One small downside of having flattened the curve I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

spankmeister posted:

We'll know when the second wave hits in the fall/winter. Then we'll also hopefully have a lot of trials ready to go for therapeutics and other things, because the ones that are running now are fighting over subjects. One small downside of having flattened the curve I suppose.
People keep talking about this second wave in fall/winter, but isn't that based on the assumption that the first one subsides? The US response so far points more towards a step ladder approach until there's no room for a second wave because the first one has already swept clean through the US.