Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ImpAtom posted:

Char takes her inside the colony where Ghiren is on the palm of his mobile suit. She blows him the gently caress up with a bazooka... and then Char just tilts his robot's hand and she goes splat.

You gotta picture it in the classic MSG animation style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

In a move that's surprising no one the Hathaway's flash movie is delayed

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bask Om looks suitably menacing in a Federation uniform. How did he get anywhere without someone accusing him of being a terminator? Bask Om looks like a stupid dummy in the Titans uniform.

Also, the nuke thing is kind of funny to me since Zeon's initial Zakus had extensive radiation shielding because they were using nuclear bazookas early in the war. Obviously there's such a thing as different yields and all, but in light of it Delaz' big announcement looks dumb. The Federation built a suit to launch a nuke! This can only be used offensively! We know because that's what we did!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Argas posted:

Bask Om looks suitably menacing in a Federation uniform. How did he get anywhere without someone accusing him of being a terminator? Bask Om looks like a stupid dummy in the Titans uniform.

Also, the nuke thing is kind of funny to me since Zeon's initial Zakus had extensive radiation shielding because they were using nuclear bazookas early in the war. Obviously there's such a thing as different yields and all, but in light of it Delaz' big announcement looks dumb. The Federation built a suit to launch a nuke! This can only be used offensively! We know because that's what we did!

To be fair there aren’t many examples of defensive nuclear weapons. Atomic Demolition Munitions, maybe.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

Char takes her inside the colony where Ghiren is on the palm of his mobile suit. She blows him the gently caress up with a bazooka... and then Char just tilts his robot's hand and she goes splat.

And at that moment, Kai realizes He loving hates Char, and that's the reason he and Sayla are the only two who don't stay on Zeon and return to Earth.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Argas posted:

Bask looks like that TMNT robot to me, no matter what. The real question who looked at Jamitov in a Feddie uniform and thought “there’s a face I can trust.”?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

the PSYCHO gundam...........................

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ramadu posted:

the PSYCHO gundam...........................

Oh hey that’s still in my backlog!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

I mean, on a technical level there's nothing wrong with building a suit capable of launching nukes. The Antarctic Treaty Delaz cites only prohibits their use, not the possession or development thereof. (It doesn't make a distinction about offense vs. defense.)

But that's not what actual humans hear, or at least not with Delaz's audience hears: they hear "built with the intent to use." Which becomes "the Federation is reneging on their deal!" In the end, it's no dumber than any other inciting political speech.

Also, Bask always seemed like they got his uniform one size too small so he needed to be stuffed into it. I feel like his coat is hiding buttons that are stressed almost to popping.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Warmachine posted:

I mean, on a technical level there's nothing wrong with building a suit capable of launching nukes. The Antarctic Treaty Delaz cites only prohibits their use, not the possession or development thereof. (It doesn't make a distinction about offense vs. defense.)

But that's not what actual humans hear, or at least not with Delaz's audience hears: they hear "built with the intent to use." Which becomes "the Federation is reneging on their deal!" In the end, it's no dumber than any other inciting political speech.

Also, Bask always seemed like they got his uniform one size too small so he needed to be stuffed into it. I feel like his coat is hiding buttons that are stressed almost to popping.

Of course that also depends on whether one considers the Antarctic Treaty to still be a valid and active treaty, the Zeon remnants probably do, but the Federation probably considers it invalid since it considers Zeon to be dead

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Of course that also depends on whether one considers the Antarctic Treaty to still be a valid and active treaty, the Zeon remnants probably do, but the Federation probably considers it invalid since it considers Zeon to be dead

It's hard to tell because my memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure Delaz was trying to rile up the remnants and sympathizers. He doesn't care for the Federation's opinion on the matter--they're the corrupt oppressor he's fighting. So the reason he's revealing this stuff is to get the attention of would-be allies and create unrest. Is the treaty worth a pile of steaming pissrags? Doesn't matter--the Zeon can wave it like a red shirt.

I rewatched the scene though and I don't think it's entirely clear how far reaching the broadcast is. My assumption is worldwide of course, but I could be wrong.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just remembered that episode of Build Fighters Try where the boxer fights with the Gunpla his sick little brother built and Sekai defeats him a contest that comes down purely to a question of build quality with the Gunpla that literally fell in his lap and got mad about it again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I just remembered that episode of Build Fighters Try where the boxer fights with the Gunpla his sick little brother built and Sekai defeats him a contest that comes down purely to a question of build quality with the Gunpla that literally fell in his lap and got mad about it again.

Try would have been so much better if the Tryon 3 guys had been the protagonists

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Argas posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea that early war Zaku II's used nuclear missiles is apocryphal, and while it was mentioned in some early databooks, that it eventually came in to conflict with what writers were doing and was just forgotten about. Which presumably includes things like the GP-02's nuclear arsenal being a big thing in 0083. It doesn't even really sit all that well with the original show anyway though, because in the opening prologue for the first ten or so episodes we see Musai's shooting coloy cylinders, and the beam cannons over-penetrating, along with shots of the empty shells of a few colony cylinders outside Solomon that have huge holes in their exterior that seem to be from similar broadsides just before the battle there later in the show. It suggests that Zeon did the most damage by simple expedient of just shooting the cylinders a couple of times until they had enough big holes that physics would take care of the rest. Which would almost certainly be cheaper than using nukes to boot.

Delaz's statement is still pretty hypocritical, since M'Quve was the one to use nukes in the One Year War in violation of the Antarctic Treaty mind, but there's a good chance Delaz didn't actually know about that and even if he did, he would probably use the same rationalization: "not my Zeon!".

drrockso20 posted:

The Antarctic Treaty is mentioned in Zeta, and seems to be viewed as a contemporary equivalent to the Geneva Convention, because it's mentioned in the context of human rights. I can't recall the exact lines, but it's something about prisoners in war if I recall.

drrockso20 posted:

Try would have been so much better if the Tryon 3 guys had been the protagonists

Two of the members of Tryon-3 were complete nobodies who had about as much character or relevance as the average bridge bunny. Actually, that might be insulting to the bridge bunnies. The other members of Tryon-3 existed solely so Minato would have a team and their only contribution was to go "take my power, Minato-san!". You may have been referring to the team of Minato, Simon and Gyanko, which is popularly seen as a better alternative to the team of Fumina, Sekai and Yuuma, but I honestly don't think they'd have been better either. Which is mostly because the same people would be writing and directing them, regardless of what their backstory and apparent personality was, so you'd still end up with vapid, boring characters either way. I don't think having Minato on the same team as Simon makes a great dynamic though, because Simon's build is heavily tied to his brother, and so Minato can't really shine as the premier builder in that dynamic.

More than that though, I'm kind of glad Simon lost that fight, because as bullshit as "Chicken-How-Are-You" got, the first build of a complete amateur standing up to the world class build of Sei is dumber and would be even thicker plot armor than Sekai wrapped himself in. Simon's brother learning from the loss and having to start building better gunpla for Simon could be a fun story, but Simon winning because "I punch good" is no better than Sekai doing so, and his unit is dogshit, so he doesn't even have the excuse of build quality to fall back on for it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 5, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

More than that though, I'm kind of glad Simon lost that fight, because as bullshit as "Chicken-How-Are-You" got, the first build of a complete amateur standing up to the world class build of Sei is dumber and would be even thicker plot armor than Sekai wrapped himself in. Simon's brother learning from the loss and having to start building better gunpla for Simon could be a fun story, but Simon winning because "I punch good" is no better than Sekai doing so, and his unit is dogshit, so he doesn't even have the excuse of build quality to fall back on for it.

I think the real solution is for the writers to simply have not created that situation in the first place

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

I think the real solution is for the writers to simply have not created that situation in the first place

I don't know; I think the basic idea of the episode is pretty good honestly, with the team finding out the sob-story of their opponent and both Fumina and Yuuma thinking they should throw the match because it's so tragic, while Sekai thinks that fighting honestly is better and that it'll be better for the brother's feelings and skills if they give his unit a good fight etc. I do think the writers shouldn't have leant so hard on plor armor and super moves to power Sekai's win, but then, I think that's true of the whole series.

With that said though, I think Sekai could have been a really great protagonist though personally, because I think someone from a different background coming in to gunpla, falling in love with the sport and then incorporating their older interests in to gunpla could have been really fun. Which in his case could have been a martial arts student realizing that gunplastic and the general construction of many units limited the movements of many gunpla and developing a new form of gunpla martial arts that used that knowledge to create Hokuto Shinken like attacks that targeted the weaknesses of his enemies, while building a unit that allowed greater flexibility for himself so that he could out-maneuver opponents and immunize himself to his own style to some degree.

I think Sekai should have been the one in the team an SD Gunpla, or at least, with the head of one, because the expressive face of SD units suited his personality a lot more, and that if you teamed that up with the legs of the Mack Knife from G-Reco it could create a really good unit for him, because (a) the profile of those legs already suggests a gi, and (b) the legs on the unit are really flexible, and allow for a high degree of movement, which would be a boon to a martial artist.

There's a lot you could do to improve Try though, and the first thing they should have done is probably stuck to a two person team rather than a three person team, since that made the teams too large, and necessitated that many antagonists be empty characters with nothing going for them beyond filling space. Share Yuuma's elements out between Fumina and Sekai, then have Sekai be the fighter who buoys up Fumina's builder, same as Reiji did with Sei; only this time, both have to fight, because junior championships require two person teams, rather than it being optional to have a support builder.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What was Fumina even there for? Sekai was the fighter and Fuuma was the builder and gunner. I think they suggested she was the tactician but she ended up openly admitting she brought no particular strengths to the team and leaning into a cheerleader role that required her to effectively leave the match.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know what her official role in the team was, but she was the driving force behind much of their actual decisions as a team and was a more creative builder than Yuuma, even if he was apparently the more technically proficient one. You can't see that technicality on screen, so to the viewer it just looks like he's got no imagination. Fumina also had a big thing with Lady Meijin (god that was a dumb character) around the half way point about realizing her own strengths and not just being the support cheerleader.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea that early war Zaku II's used nuclear missiles is apocryphal, and while it was mentioned in some early databooks, that it eventually came in to conflict with what writers were doing and was just forgotten about. Which presumably includes things like the GP-02's nuclear arsenal being a big thing in 0083. It doesn't even really sit all that well with the original show anyway though, because in the opening prologue for the first ten or so episodes we see Musai's shooting coloy cylinders, and the beam cannons over-penetrating, along with shots of the empty shells of a few colony cylinders outside Solomon that have huge holes in their exterior that seem to be from similar broadsides just before the battle there later in the show. It suggests that Zeon did the most damage by simple expedient of just shooting the cylinders a couple of times until they had enough big holes that physics would take care of the rest. Which would almost certainly be cheaper than using nukes to boot.

Delaz's statement is still pretty hypocritical, since M'Quve was the one to use nukes in the One Year War in violation of the Antarctic Treaty mind, but there's a good chance Delaz didn't actually know about that and even if he did, he would probably use the same rationalization: "not my Zeon!".

The Antarctic Treaty is mentioned in Zeta, and seems to be viewed as a contemporary equivalent to the Geneva Convention, because it's mentioned in the context of human rights. I can't recall the exact lines, but it's something about prisoners in war if I recall.

Two of the members of Tryon-3 were complete nobodies who had about as much character or relevance as the average bridge bunny. Actually, that might be insulting to the bridge bunnies. The other members of Tryon-3 existed solely so Minato would have a team and their only contribution was to go "take my power, Minato-san!". You may have been referring to the team of Minato, Simon and Gyanko, which is popularly seen as a better alternative to the team of Fumina, Sekai and Yuuma, but I honestly don't think they'd have been better either. Which is mostly because the same people would be writing and directing them, regardless of what their backstory and apparent personality was, so you'd still end up with vapid, boring characters either way. I don't think having Minato on the same team as Simon makes a great dynamic though, because Simon's build is heavily tied to his brother, and so Minato can't really shine as the premier builder in that dynamic.

Various side story and MSV stuff have shown us what the Nuke armed Zakus were like, it's basically the same kind of bazooka the GP02 uses except without the whole splitting in half for storage purposes bit

Now exactly how "canon" those are is up for debate, but that basically applies to everything involving the Universal Century continuity(especially if we include Regild Century and Correct Century stuff into the mix)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Caphi posted:

What was Fumina even there for? Sekai was the fighter and Fuuma was the builder and gunner. I think they suggested she was the tactician but she ended up openly admitting she brought no particular strengths to the team and leaning into a cheerleader role that required her to effectively leave the match.

tsob posted:

I don't know what her official role in the team was, but she was the driving force behind much of their actual decisions as a team and was a more creative builder than Yuuma, even if he was apparently the more technically proficient one. You can't see that technicality on screen, so to the viewer it just looks like he's got no imagination. Fumina also had a big thing with Lady Meijin (god that was a dumb character) around the half way point about realizing her own strengths and not just being the support cheerleader.

Oh man, that's another way that Sekai ruined the show I hadn't even thought of before. Yuuma was supposed to be the team builder, but Sekai had the best Gunpla on the team by a big margin.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Oh man, that's another way that Sekai ruined the show I hadn't even thought of before. Yuuma was supposed to be the team builder, but Sekai had the best Gunpla on the team by a big margin.

Yuuma didn’t even get to mod the loving thing; when new parts were needed Sei just mailed him a box of new pieces, all finished.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Midjack posted:

Yuuma didn’t even get to mod the loving thing; when new parts were needed Sei just mailed him a box of new pieces, all finished.

If Yuuma had needed to maintain the Burning, that could've been a fun little subplot where he makes changes Sekai doesn't want and has to learn to respect Sekai's wishes, and then Sekai tries some of them and finds out they're good and he learns to be more flexible, and they meet in the middle and in doing so forge a strong friendship. that could've been fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

If Yuuma had needed to maintain the Burning, that could've been a fun little subplot where he makes changes Sekai doesn't want and has to learn to respect Sekai's wishes, and then Sekai tries some of them and finds out they're good and he learns to be more flexible, and they meet in the middle and in doing so forge a strong friendship. that could've been fun.

And it could also play into Fumina being the creative builder of the group, with her helping bridge the gap between Yuuma's staid professionalism and Sekai's crazy "What if I could shoot a giant king of hearts at people" impulses.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im on episode 35 of zeta and was/is there a point to bringing haro back

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

It provides a visual metaphor for Kamille's increasing maturity and some slapstick with Shinta and Qum.

Beyond that? Not really.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why do jerids girlfriends keep dying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Being a woman around Jerid or Kamille is basically a death sentence.

Fa is immune somehow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Because Jerid's a dumbass who keeps picking fights with Kamille, and since he's ridiculously hard to kill, someone else has to die instead.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wow kamilles death field managed to kill four twice

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fumina is supposed to be the leader, tactician, and Gunpla Battle game expert, which is a pretty important job in a game built around group combat. Sekai is the most technically skilled one-on-one combatant, Yuuma is their expert builder, and she brings their talents together, filters them through her extensive experience, and turns them into an actual, cohesive fighting force. She got shoved to the side because they decided to make it The Sekai Show, but she did have a clear purpose at the beginning.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

why don't you just appreciate haro

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

I still laugh how Kamille brought that Haro back from the garbage dump and he was like, "Yo, what if this was the original Haro that Amuro Ray had, ehhhh?" And it made Wong Lee go berserk while saying, "Kid, that's dumb. You're dumb."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Being a woman around Jerid or Kamille is basically a death sentence.

Fa is immune somehow.

Doesn't hurt that Fa's a weirdly competent pilot.

And I do mean weird, because the show is a bit at war with itself on how good Fa is, from "Barely not dying by luck" to "Able to hold off aces indefinitely until relief arrives."

There definitely seemed to be disagreements in the writing team on the issue, even if they reached a grudging truce that Fa can pilot as long as she also looks after the kids Char's being a deadbeat dad for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think fa ever tried piloting a ms that wasn't trash for idiot clowns, right?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

My favourite thing in Try was how they made particle count be a big thing and then the build burning just has a crystal in it that gives it more particles even if it runs out

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think fa ever tried piloting a ms that wasn't trash for idiot clowns, right?

She's in the Zeta for a bit in ZZ, but it's beat to hell so maybe that doesn't count.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ispeaking of pilot competency it's weird char hasn't gotten an actual moment to dunk on some fools

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stairmaster posted:

Ispeaking of pilot competency it's weird char hasn't gotten an actual moment to dunk on some fools
Mrs. Zabi, thank you for posting in our forums, but you may want to look towards the hangar.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

The Origin adds some additional moments of that nature for Char(including using him as an explanation for why the White Base didn't get any GM's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah, we get scenes where he seems capable, scenes where people praise him, and scenes where we're supposed to be impressed someone is giving him trouble, but we don't really get any "By the way, this guy's a legend for a reason" scenes. Which stands out more because pretty much every episode Amuro's in for Zeta has at least one moment of that.