Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Stephenls posted:

I have tried that, and it works, sort of, but I find the lady Stormcast heads are slightly too small.

(And the Escher heads are even smaller than that.)

So I want dedicated sculpted women's heads for my Space Marines.

I dunno, I think it makes the armor look appropriately chunky; like an actual suit of powered armor that can take a beating and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree, it really sells the size and bulk of the armor. I mean if you tried to break it down realistically it wouldn't make much sense, but that is basically true of 90% of miniatures for games like 40k where the emphasis is all on the aesthetic and look. One of the things that I don't completely like about Sisters of Battle is that their armor looks very slim and sleek considering it's supposed to be Power Armor - visually it's less substantial than the Cadian body armor. I think it's fine for their overall aesthetic and if I have to think about it I just assume it's reinforced by their faith/space magic, but if you were making female Marines I think this sort of thing would really help differentiate them.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Obligatory.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Stephenls posted:

I have tried that, and it works, sort of, but I find the lady Stormcast heads are slightly too small.

No, that's perfect.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/05/four-sizes-fit-allgw-homepage-post-1/

Today's 9th Ed article is about battle sizes, as mentioned yesterday there's four suggested battle sizes (Combat Patrol, Incursion, Strike Force, Onslaught). Not only do they decide your command point level, but also the max amount of detaches that you can use for a battle forged army. As well as giving suggestions as to how big the battlefield might be to accommodate the game.
The talk about Combat Patrol does seem to imply they've putten a lot more thought into how points and power levels work seeing as 50 power appears to be roughly equal to 1000 points.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Cooked Auto posted:

The talk about Combat Patrol does seem to imply they've put in a lot more thought into how points and power levels work seeing as 50 power appears to be roughly equal to 1000 points.

The odd thing that now seems to differentiate points and power level is whether you count just yours, or yours plus your opponent's.

The chart above, combined with this footnote -

** Note that the total Power Level is based on the combined power of all the models used in the battle (so the combined Power Level of both your and your opponent’s armies).

leads me to believe that the old 20 points = 1 power level is still true, considering one army at a time.

For example, 50 power level = 25 power level per player = an old 500 point game.

This would leave "Strike Force" games as the current 3 detachment, 2000 point standard that seems to have existed throughout 8th edition.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
Oh nice, I like that the minimum sizes are just multiples of kill team terrain sets

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My AdMech pre-order shipped today. If you pre-ordered those be sure to check your GW account if you ordered from their website.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I said come in! posted:

My AdMech pre-order shipped today. If you pre-ordered those be sure to check your GW account if you ordered from their website.

Mine's still showing as pending and will ship in 6 days (which I assume is 6 days from when I ordered it, the 30th).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

Mine's still showing as pending and will ship in 6 days (which I assume is 6 days from when I ordered it, the 30th).

You should get your FedEx tracking number sometime today, or tomorrow for sure. Expect a really long shipping time though, FedEx is extremely slow right now due to the pandemic.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I said come in! posted:

You should get your FedEx tracking number sometime today, or tomorrow for sure. Expect a really long shipping time though, FedEx is extremely slow right now due to the pandemic.

I'm UK, so no FedEx for me :) I imagine I'll get a notification over the next couple of days anyway. I still have a ironstrider and two kastellans to paint anyway.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1268665798467432449

honestly not what i expected from them

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Honestly lots of UK companies just don't see an issue in saying "We support diversity, and oppose racism and homophobia, and if you don't like that gently caress off" because racism in the UK is more hidden. People here who are racist often profess they aren't racist and have some sort of doublethink going on where they genuinely think they aren't racist but at the same time know being openly racist will get them in trouble because it's wrong. So even if racism exists and even if there's discrimination within companies, they have no problem openly professing they stand against it.

What shocks me is that it took this long for them to do something like this, unless they did something similar during my hiatus.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Considering their social media status up to now was close to nonexistent other than making the same kind of FB posts you usually see I honestly doubt it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Honestly lots of UK companies just don't see an issue in saying "We support diversity, and oppose racism and homophobia, and if you don't like that gently caress off" because racism in the UK is more hidden. People here who are racist often profess they aren't racist and have some sort of doublethink going on where they genuinely think they aren't racist but at the same time know being openly racist will get them in trouble because it's wrong. So even if racism exists and even if there's discrimination within companies, they have no problem openly professing they stand against it.

What shocks me is that it took this long for them to do something like this, unless they did something similar during my hiatus.

This is the United States as well, but racists have become far more open about their racism since Obama took office, and then it went into overdrive when Trump took office. Now card carrying public about it Nazi's are running the country.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

https://imgur.com/gallery/y9fdv

I’ve got this stuff for sale in the UK. All offers considered, I’d prefer to sell it all in one go or three chunks of IG/DA/Tyranids. There is a full space hulk set, not just the models. I’m not offering it anywhere else for now and I’d prefer to do a deal for a goon than mess about elsewhere. Please PM me if you’re interested because I don’t check this thread much. Thanks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kitchner posted:

What I like is basically the message is "we support diversity and will continue to do so. If you have a problem with it get bent and we don't want your money"

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

What I like is basically the message is "we support diversity and will continue to do so. If you have a problem with it get bent and we don't want your money"

........but we're going to keep employing Tony, the racist misogynist that we've already had to apologize for once.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Booley posted:

........but we're going to keep employing Tony, the racist misogynist that we've already had to apologize for once.

Tony is a huge shareholder too, so that is probably why they can't really do anything to him except quietly put him in his current corner. He isn't just some regular dude they employ.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm glad they're making even the most basic efforts to get shitheads out of the hobby because it seems like there are a lot of assholes involved in it

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So I'm planning to get back into this after like 15 years. I don't really understand how 40k works now because I'm old.

I know 9th edition is coming out, and I know I want to play Imperial Guard. Do I just buy the 8th edition codex now? Or do I wait until the 9th edition guard codex comes out?

Sorry if it's a dumb question!

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

SerCypher posted:

So I'm planning to get back into this after like 15 years. I don't really understand how 40k works now because I'm old.

I know 9th edition is coming out, and I know I want to play Imperial Guard. Do I just buy the 8th edition codex now? Or do I wait until the 9th edition guard codex comes out?

Sorry if it's a dumb question!

We don't really know the codex release schedule so I'd hold out for a 9th ed core rulebook and then get the guard codex, the Greater Good book and you should be good with that. If you like certain units or play styles I'd also look for pictures of the vigilus detachments.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

We don't really know the codex release schedule so I'd hold out for a 9th ed core rulebook and then get the guard codex, the Greater Good book and you should be good with that. If you like certain units or play styles I'd also look for pictures of the vigilus detachments.

Sorry I'm REALLY out of it I think. I am planning to get the 9th edition rulebook, but I was kind of hoping to have an idea of what's good in the rules so I know what kind of models I want to get.

Greater good? Is that some sort of Tau thing? Also I assume you mean various detachments? Is that if you want to mix other armies in with Guard?

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
Greater Good is a campaign book that has guard rules in it

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

ffoecaf posted:

Greater Good is a campaign book that has guard rules in it

Oh ok cool.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Detachments are different "takes" on the old force organization chart that allow you to take units in various combinations, with varied drawbacks and benefits.

For organized play every unit in a detachment has to share certain keywords (most likely because they are from the same codex). Multiple codex armies (sometimes referred to as "soup") are most likely organized within multiple detachments, but in 8th edition there have been significant benefits from including as many detachments as possible in your list even if you are drawing from one codex. This last thing may change in 9th ed though.

There are two vigilus (campaign) books that include special detachments for some armies with bespoke rules.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 6, 2020

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Honestly, if you're new to the game I wouldn't worry about which books you need for the rules just yet.

Get yourself a Start Collecting box and start assembling/painting some minis.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Honestly, if you're new to the game I wouldn't worry about which books you need for the rules just yet.

Get yourself a Start Collecting box and start assembling/painting some minis.

I do have one already for Guard.

I'm a bit of a powergamer is all, so I need to know what kind of turret to put on my Leman Russ, or what Heavy Weapons to give my guardsmen.

I guess I could start by just building the infantry.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SerCypher posted:

I'm a bit of a powergamer is all, so I need to know what kind of turret to put on my Leman Russ, or what Heavy Weapons to give my guardsmen.

This should help somewhat with what gear to slap on your dudes: https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-astra-militarum/

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

SerCypher posted:

Even if you wait for 9th for that the answer may well be different 3 months and a FAQ into 9th. If that's a priority for you, maybe just start assembling but don't glue anything down that's an option like that?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Speaking of start collecting boxes, the new AdMech one comes with a Dunerider, 10 skitarii and an Enginseer. Anyone think there's a chance it's transport capacity is going to be increased (or just be able to also take a single character) maybe? I know you can build it as the disintegrator but built as pictured on the box you'd end up with a fast 12" transport full of troops and an HQ plodding behind being completely useless.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking, an 11 man carrying capacity would be so much more useful for that thing.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 6, 2020

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

This should help somewhat with what gear to slap on your dudes: https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-astra-militarum/

Oh that looks perfect, thanks. Last time I played flamers had templates and such, so things are a bit different now!

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Am I the only one cynical enough to think the people who got offended by GWs message that say they're going to quit and never support GW again are lying out their rear end. No chance in hell those people are actually going to stop playing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Alokgen posted:

Am I the only one cynical enough to think the people who got offended by GWs message that say they're going to quit and never support GW again are lying out their rear end. No chance in hell those people are actually going to stop playing.

Given how many nerds build their identity on the media they consume? I'd say it's very likely many of them can't give up their plastic space barbies.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lizard Combatant posted:

Speaking of start collecting boxes, the new AdMech one comes with a Dunerider, 10 skitarii and an Enginseer. Anyone think there's a chance it's transport capacity is going to be increased (or just be able to also take a single character) maybe? I know you can build it as the disintegrator but built as pictured on the box you'd end up with a fast 12" transport full of troops and an HQ plodding behind being completely useless.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking, an 11 man carrying capacity would be so much more useful for that thing.

I wouldn't bet on it. It's very in line with AdMech fluff to send hordes of disposable Skitarii forward while the leaders issue orders from behind. That's why you see data-tether wargear for enhancing morale remotely.

Plus you'd generally want Engineers near units like robots, kataphrons or knights rather than infantry anyway.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

SerCypher posted:

More Russes is always a good thing and the best two options in my opinion are 1. Demolisher and 2. Battlecannon. You can also get some good work out of the executioner plasma cannon if you run it on a tank commander. My current list which does fairly well in my local scene which has a decent amount of competitive players is 60 guardsmen, 5 russes, 3 tank commanders, a handful of scions, and a vindicare assassin. For guard there's really no such thing as a bad vehicle except the chimera so if you're a treadhead it's perfect, once you start dealing with infantry things start getting hit or miss.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

xtothez posted:

I wouldn't bet on it. It's very in line with AdMech fluff to send hordes of disposable Skitarii forward while the leaders issue orders from behind. That's why you see data-tether wargear for enhancing morale remotely.

Plus you'd generally want Engineers near units like robots, kataphrons or knights rather than infantry anyway.

Yeah that figures, but put a Dominus or Daedalosus in there with them and it'd be much nastier

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Alokgen posted:

A larger than average number of them don't play the game in the first place

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Booley posted:

I haven't heard/seen anything he's done outside of that video that was recently talking about via Goonhammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

I haven't heard/seen anything he's done outside of that video that was recently talking about via Goonhammer.

In the before time at a GW event he was on stage and said "Escher are exotic and vindictive because they are women", which GW subsequently had to apologize for. There was also a guy in our twitter comments who said that he was told Tony collects nazi paraphernalia and tried to get skinheads hired, but I don't have any hard evidence of that.